Lost My Best Hunting Partner ! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Best Hunting Partner !

CanyonMan
11-06-2006, 13:17
A couple of weeks ago, I lost my best hunting partner...My Father-In- Law, who to me, was more like my 'actual Father', for almost 29 years now. He died of a Heart attack, quite suddenly.

He was the father of 4 daughters, and two sons, all of which are country folks, and hunters, and outdoorsmen. He was an EX-Marine, with a great deal of combat time.

He was one of the best hunters I have ever seen in my life, and it was an honor to even be in the woods with him, and learn from his God given gift, and ability, and knowledge of the woods, and game, and just plain hunting sense.

We spent almost 29 years together, climbing, hiking, riding, and crawling, through all kinds of terrain, after all kinds of critters.
We had times of tremendous laughter, and even shed a few tears once in a while, in those campfire moments, talking of things men will talk about, and sometimes, don't want to talk about. Good things like family, and dreams, and hopes. Sometimes things like war and death, and pain.

No matter what the conversation, in the 'quite times,' we always managed to bring it back around to hunting, and guns, and love for the outdoors. I never tired of his endlesss, but very interesting and true, hunting stories. We told most of them over and over so many times, i lost count, but they were 'like new,' each time.

I've never known such a wonderful father, a knowledgeable woodsman, a true sprotsman, a great Soldier, and the best friend I could ever have been blessed with !

This is just a 'very small tribute,' to such a fellow outdoorsman!

This man, was more like my Dad, than a father in law, and he was defiantly my best friend !

I will miss ya Dad !

I salute you as a Soldier, a Hunter, and an all round Great guy!

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

CanyonMan

noway
11-06-2006, 13:32
Sorry to hear about this. No matter that he has left this world, just remember and treasure the experiences/lessons/etc that he has left you.

mpol777
11-06-2006, 15:43
It's always hard losing one of the old timers. Even though you know it's going to happen it doesn't make it any easier.

I too have gotten a lot of knowledge from my friends that have 'been there and done that'. It's the benefit of being around men that are a few decades my senior. It will end the same and the best I can hope for is to get that knowledge out of them and pass it on. I know they enjoy it as well. For them they get a young back and young legs to do the things they can't anymore. When talk turns to who needs to scamper up the hill... I don't even wait and get off my horse. :)

Until next time :beer:

Buckaroo
11-06-2006, 15:55
Sounds like a man who's ways we should all follow. You were blessed to have walked the trail for so many years with him.
My condolences to you, your wife and family.

Ak.Hiker
11-07-2006, 01:23
I am really sorry to hear of the loss of your Father In Law.

nickE10mm
11-07-2006, 12:11
That was a nice tribute.... my condolences to you and your family. Brings a tear to my eye at just the thought of losing my ol' Pops.

major
11-07-2006, 14:45
Sorry for the loss. How about a pic of you and him on a hunting trip?

CanyonMan
11-07-2006, 15:35
Originally posted by major
Sorry for the loss. How about a pic of you and him on a hunting trip?

God knows, If i could I would. We have "literally hundreds," of 35mm photo's, but i have never owned i digital camera, would not know how to do it if i had it. I barely can check email, and get on here....

I was going to wait a while, before responding, and i will again later...But let me say thus far....

"Thank you all that have posted."

My wife read some of these post, and started crying, and said..."This is really sweet of these guys!"

I will say thanks once again, when i "see the thread has sorta fizzled out."

Many thanks y'all

CanyonMan

Sharker
11-10-2006, 10:16
My condolences.... May you and yours always look back to what was. Even though our time on earth is brief, its nice to know we can "live on" by those who love us remembering us.

Ak.Hiker
11-10-2006, 22:19
Again I am very sorry for your family's loss. One thing you can do when you are up to it is take those 35mm pictures and put them on a disc. I am not much on these kind of computer things. I ran it past my wife and she said all you will need is a digital scanner.

CanyonMan
11-11-2006, 08:35
Originally posted by Ak.Hiker
Again I am very sorry for your family's loss. One thing you can do when you are up to it is take those 35mm pictures and put them on a disc. I am not much on these kind of computer things. I ran it past my wife and she said all you will need is a digital scanner.

My Daughter is working on that, she is an amateur free lance photographer, and has access to all kinds of equipment. It will take us a good long while to compile all the hundreds of photo's.

Thanks fellas

CanyonMan

G36's Rule
11-11-2006, 20:48
Under the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and glad did I die
And I lay me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longs to be.
Home is the sailor, home from sea
And the hunter home from the hill.
-R. L. Stevenson

Rest in peace good man.

My condolence to you CanyonMan. May you find peace in the field as your friend would want.

rich e
11-19-2006, 01:59
My condolence Canyonman...Sorry Bro...

urbanjunglist
11-19-2006, 02:04
There is is no thing as a "ex Marine", he was a "former Marine". Like they say, once a Marine always a Marine. Sorry to hear the news about your loss. Semper Fidelis brother

CanyonMan
11-19-2006, 14:54
Originally posted by urbanjunglist
There is is no thing as a "ex Marine", he was a "former Marine". Like they say, once a Marine always a Marine. Sorry to hear the news about your loss. Semper Fidelis brother

You are "completely correct", in saying "Former Marine..."
I knew that, just have not had my head on straight for a few weeks!

Thank you Bro....
:patriot:

CanyonMan

8-Ball
11-19-2006, 15:55
I'm very sorry for you and your family's loss. I too lost my best hunting/fishing/camping partner. He was also my father, so I know exatly how you feel.

It's not easy and there's no way to "get over it". Just remember the good times and be glad you were blessed with such a great friend.

R.I.P.:angel: