Deer processing sequence [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer processing sequence

stooxie
11-06-2006, 21:36
Hello all again!

I've been spending a lot of time researching and thinking about all the "after the shot" activities, should I be so fortunate.

I got myself some how-to DVD's on field dressing (talk about low budget!) and some books. They all pretty much agree on the technique. A few variations.

Here's my question. I definitely will have to bring the animal to a meet processor since the neighborhood won't take too kindly to a deer strung up in my yard. I also want to have the skin tanned.

Am I supposed to skin the deer myself? I'm happy to do that but I've read several taxidermy web pages that seem to prefer you bring them the animal as intact as possible.

THEN I read on the Hunters For the Hungry web page that deer processors also want you to bring in the animal as intact as possible (save for careful field dressing).

So, I am a bit confused as to when I should do what. The meat processor might skin the deer but I can't imagine a busy butcher would want to spend the time. I also can't imagine a taxidermist skinning the thing pronto so I can take the carcass to be processed.

I guess I could just bring the skin to the taxidermist and the carcass to the meat processor and all would be happy.

What do you guys do?

Thanks!
-Stooxie

noway
11-06-2006, 22:09
{So, I am a bit confused as to when I should do what. The meat processor might skin the deer but I can't imagine a busy butcher would want to spend the time. I also can't imagine a taxidermist skinning the thing pronto so I can take the carcass to be processed.

I guess I could just bring the skin to the taxidermist and the carcass to the meat processor and all would be happy.

}

I think your last sentences gives you the answer.

It all depends on the meat processors and taxidermist.

Also butchers don't normally ( at least the ones I know of ) skin animals. They even for the most parts charge eXtra for things like not fully field dressed and dirty carcass. And yes I've seen guys take a skinned deer into the meat processor place and guts are still intact and the animal was never gutted in the field :frown:

Also as far as fur tanned, once again most processor don't do this and if they do skinned a deer for the limited ones that I've seen in IL, they don't save/salt/freeze or guarantee your hide back. Even some goes as far as charging you eXtra dollars for having to skin it for you, since they get these hide as residual income to have tanned and sold by them.

Your best bet is;

1> to call ahead and get your meat processor or butcher rules and requirements.

2> if your looking at tanning the fur;

a. by a few bags of salt and salt it immediately after you pull the skin and make sure you split the tail bone and salt that area. I would do this at a reasonable time and ASAP. Not 7 hours later or 12 hours laters. But as soon as you can hang the deer up and skin it out. The key thing is sooner is better. If you looking for a mount and need to cape the deer , do it immediately and get it on ice and/or better yet into a walkin cooler.

or

b. check out a taxidermisty outfit close by to your hunting grounds and processor/butchershop and plan your trips to avoid costly time.

I have no lie on my phone dial numbers positions 1 & 2, are telephone #s for my taxidermist in the two major areas that I hunt at. During hunting seasons, they extend their hours and have after hour cells and will meet you at the storage facility if you have a cape or fur to drop off. I highly reccommend you call ahead get all of the information,prices,hours,requirements if you need any "after the kill" work on your prized "insert game animal/bird here"

just my 2 cents and good luck.

GeorgiaGlockMan
11-06-2006, 22:18
I usually process my deer myself.

I used a processor on a buck I shot last year because I was pressed for time and was getting it mounted (and the far away taxidermist picks up from the local processing cooler).

Call the processor. They'll usually charge a few dollars for each activitiy (ie: field dressing, skinning, and various process types like suasage, hamburger, etc.)

I asked them last year when I was dropping off my field dressed buck and they told me maybe 10% of the deer they get are even field dressed - amazing.

If you want it skinned right do it yourself. The people working at the processor usually don't skin a deer for the hide to be tanned. The guys working there usually get a % of what they do and are trying to do as many as fast as they can.

vafish
11-07-2006, 06:26
Originally posted by noway

.....I think your last sentences gives you the answer.

It all depends on the meat processors and taxidermist......

....Your best bet is;

1> to call ahead and get your meat processor or butcher rules and requirements.

I have no lie on my phone dial numbers positions 1 & 2, are telephone #s for my taxidermist in the two major areas that I hunt at. .....

Those lines pretty much cover it.

Taxidermists and butchers vary.

I usually process my deer myself, I generally don't tan the hides. (and I don't give a rats but what the neighbors think. I generally process the deer in my garage, but I've also hung them in a tree in the back yard.)

But things vary.

Several yeasr ago when my buddies and I shot a bear the Taxidermist prefered to skin the bear so it was done right. We took the whole field dressed carcass to the taxidermist, they skinned the bear, then we took the skinned carcass to the butcher.

I also have on my cell phone the number of a butcher, just incase I shoot a deer when time and/or weather won't allow me to process it myself. He charges one flat fee for skinning and butchering, but you don't get the skin back. Things like sausage and jerky cost extra.

You will be much better off if you line up a butcher and taxidermist, and know their requirements before you shoot a deer, rather than waiting until 8 or 9 PM on a Saturday night when you have a deer down and don't know what to do with it.

stooxie
11-07-2006, 07:17
Originally posted by vafish
Those lines pretty much cover it.

Taxidermists and butchers vary.

I usually process my deer myself, I generally don't tan the hides. (and I don't give a rats but what the neighbors think. I generally process the deer in my garage, but I've also hung them in a tree in the back yard.)

But things vary.

Several yeasr ago when my buddies and I shot a bear the Taxidermist prefered to skin the bear so it was done right. We took the whole field dressed carcass to the taxidermist, they skinned the bear, then we took the skinned carcass to the butcher.

I also have on my cell phone the number of a butcher, just incase I shoot a deer when time and/or weather won't allow me to process it myself. He charges one flat fee for skinning and butchering, but you don't get the skin back. Things like sausage and jerky cost extra.

You will be much better off if you line up a butcher and taxidermist, and know their requirements before you shoot a deer, rather than waiting until 8 or 9 PM on a Saturday night when you have a deer down and don't know what to do with it.

Hey, VAfish! We're both in Fairfax. I will be hunting in Berryville (by Winchester). Do you have any recommendations for processors and taxidermists? I have a list of processors from Hunters for the Hungry, any preferences? I'm stuck with superpages.com for a taxidermist.

Thanks!
-Stooxie

vafish
11-07-2006, 08:54
Check you PM's

edited to add:

I just checked H4H's web site, the guy I recommended is listed on their web site.