How to ID a Seal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to ID a Seal

jlbmagna
11-07-2006, 10:16
We just hired a Project Mgr who claims to be a seal. I am suspicious, he casually mentions he has killed several people, and doesn't seem to be affected by it at all, in fact seems to be bragging. I suggested a trip to the range but he doesn't have a handgun to take and doesn't seem to have knowledge about sig's or hk's, he doesn't profess any proficiency either. I have only spoken casually with him and I could be all wrong. I am a 6 year vet of the USN 3 tours in the Vietnam theater (not ashore), and have had contact with a number of Rangers, Green Berets etc and I notice a certain no nonsense attitude concerning their service. As I speak with this man are there any ques I could pick up on to indicate whether he is the real deal or a poser. I just don't like the prospect of someone sponging off the service of others. Again maybe I'm all wrong but I have a funny feeling about this guy. If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd like to hear them. Thanks in advance.
jlbmagna mm1 US Enterprise 67-73

DHansen
11-09-2006, 06:33
Give www.veriseal.org a shot. They make it their business to investigate SEAL claims.

Also, ask the guy what BUD/S class he was in. If he doesn't remember/says he didn't have a class number, then he's FOS.

BigHank
11-18-2006, 08:38
I hear this crap all the time from guys that had nothing to do with the subject. If you weren't a SEAL then move on. You are a V Vet. Now if someone made claims about that then I can see it bothering you.
As for checking on their class..
I served 7 yrs in the Navy and I went in to become a SEAL. That was the only reason I joined and it didn't work out. I was in Coronado for 3 mnths only to have my knees go bad. So if someone asked me what class # I was in, I have one for them but it doesn't mean I was a SEAL (120 by the way)

Unless you have a very good reason to KNOW that he isn't a SEAL, give him the respect he deserves, just like I would to you for being a V Vet.

The only thing I find wrong is that he seems to be bragging about it. The little time I spent trying to make the accomplishment gave me enought pride not even to talk about the training unless really pushed to do so, simply because there no way I can convey to people what happened with out them experiencing it themselves.

One more thing, just because you had contact with a "number of Rangers, Green Berets" doesn't mean you can even come close to understanding a SEAL. Rangers don't come close and Green Beret's have a totally different function. You need to compare apples to apples.

Hound Dog
11-22-2006, 11:15
If I heard somebody making claims I suspected to be false about ANY kind of service, I would verify their claims (if possible), then confront them with it. If they are making false claims about their service, then they don't deserve respect (IMO).

There have been too many cases of people trying to take credit for things they did not do. This is shameful and reflects directly on the poser's character.

I have served for 16 years thus far. I haven't done anything I would consider heroic; I simply did my job to the best of my ability. That is enough for me. I would NEVER make false claims about my service. This behaviour should not be tolerated, and should be called out whenever possible.

RangerAv8r
11-23-2006, 22:17
If it is critical to his position, whoever does the hiring should ask for a copy of his DD Form 214.
M

TKM
11-24-2006, 00:13
Hand him a baggy full of pistol parts. See what he does with it. My students consider it a challenge to get it right. Some of them claim to be able to finger read the serial no.:rofl: :rofl:

Bronson7
11-26-2006, 08:35
I had the pleasure of working with a SEAL team off the coast of PR, salvaging one of our bombers that flew into the coral. Very uncharacteristic to hear these guys brag about anything. They were an impressive group of collegiate looking guys. Friendly, but detached, pretty much keeping to themselves. He doesn't sound like a SEAL to me, but I could be wrong.
Bronson7

Glockdude1
11-26-2006, 09:38
Originally posted by RangerAv8r
If it is critical to his position, whoever does the hiring should ask for a copy of his DD Form 214.
M

+1. All training would be listed. If he claims it was "top secret", he is F.O.S.

:supergrin:

stores
11-27-2006, 10:30
I agree with glockdude1. Ask to see a 214 it should show BUDS/SEAL and a NEC if not... Any vet should be willing to show his/her 214 if asked. ret SKC

BigHank
11-27-2006, 19:15
Are you kidding!!!!

You'd have a better chance of me kicking your *** then me digging up my DD214 just because you don't believe a little story.

Get real!

nanbf06
11-27-2006, 21:21
usually the ppl thats been through the **** and have the cookie toprove it, won't talk about it. Unless this guy is a retard, I doubt he's ever killed someone. My grandfather was a ranger and was a bad ass and killed lots but I never once in my 24 years could get him to talk about it.

I also have several friends that are in RECON in the Marines and they won't talk about killing either. One has that thousand yard stare expression all the time, Iknow for a fact he's been through the **** and back but you won't ever hear him talk about it

Blitzer
11-27-2006, 22:49
Originally posted by DHansen
Give www.veriseal.org a shot. They make it their business to investigate SEAL claims.

Also, ask the guy what BUD/S class he was in. If he doesn't remember/says he didn't have a class number, then he's FOS.

FOS = Freaking Over Stuffed? :supergrin: ;)

Glockdude1
11-28-2006, 07:07
Originally posted by Blitzer
FOS = Freaking Over Stuffed? :supergrin: ;)

YES!!!

"Overstuffed" because he is full of shhhhhhhhhh...........Ya know. :animlol:

glockinNC
11-28-2006, 15:22
I work with a former SEAL and I am impressed every day with this guy. He pretty much defines cool and collected. He almost never mentions his background other than generally referring to having been in the Navy unless asked directly about being a SEAL. However, I have heard him talk in detail about various aspects of training before.

Other than training, only once did I have the guts to ask him about seeing any real action. Another co-worker and I were discussing shotguns one day and he walked into the conversation. I asked him if anyone in his unit carried a scattergun and he said only one guy, usually just for breaching. Anyway, he went on for a few minutes very, very generally about when his team would get into "some stuff," but never any details, nor did I feel the need to pry.

Interestingly, in the same conversation he said he doesn't like guns and doesn't own one now. He also mentioned that they used 9mm SIGs exclusively, and referenced reliability as the reason.

Recently, we were riding in my car to a presentation and he noticed a fixed blade hunting knife in the console. He made some comments about liking that particular brand and talked some about how he used to prefer to carry his knife tip-up on his vest for easier access when seated. Nothing about slitting throats...

My take (worth exactly what you paid for it) is that the guy you're describing is nothing like the SEAL I work with. If you're getting a BS vibe, you're probably right...

glockinNC
11-28-2006, 15:38
I work with a former SEAL and I am impressed every day with this guy. He pretty much defines cool and collected. He almost never mentions his background other than generally referring to having been in the Navy unless asked directly about being a SEAL. However, I have heard him talk in detail about various aspects of training before.

Other than training, only once did I have the guts to ask him about seeing any real action. Another co-worker and I were discussing shotguns one day and he walked into the conversation. I asked him if anyone in his unit carried a scattergun and he said only one guy, usually just for breaching. Anyway, he went on for a few minutes very, very generally about when his team would get into "some stuff," but never any details, nor did I feel the need to pry.

Interestingly, in the same conversation he said he doesn't like guns and doesn't own one now. He also mentioned that they used 9mm SIGs exclusively, and referenced reliability as the reason.

Recently, we were riding in my car to a presentation and he noticed a fixed blade hunting knife in the console. He made some comments about liking that particular brand and talked some about how he used to prefer to carry his knife tip-up on his vest for easier access when seated. Nothing about slitting throats...

My take (worth exactly what you paid for it) is that the guy you're describing is nothing like the SEAL I work with. If you're getting a BS vibe, you're probably right...

Semper Gumby
11-28-2006, 15:57
If he wears the high speed Oakley sun glasses he must be the real thing :)

Seriously I see how if a person is lying about serving its a disrespect to all those who have served and also it may be a part of a serious character flaw to lie like that.

Good thing is there are real seals out there that take great offense to fake seals and will "out" them.

Semper Fi do or die.

SS398
12-24-2006, 20:47
Had one at my wife's work.Always talking it up and had been here and there.Got to digging around and found out he washed out the first week and spent the rest of his service time on a oil tanker.We carried them a couple of times on the boat and like someone said"they were quite,apart,into themselves and in very good shape".Never had a prob with any of them,all they wanted was to get out of the ^&%@# submarine and get on with the job.I have a hard time with fake Vets,Seals,pretty low life.Stretch

PeterJasonMN
01-01-2007, 18:26
I had a guy at one of my old works trying telling me he was a SEAL.

"Oh yeah? What team?"
"Ummm, it was secret."
"Oh I understand. Hey, that training thing you guys do in SanFran, what's that called again? I saw that on tv and it had a funny name, but I can't remember."
"SEAL Training?"
"Ooooooh yeah, that's it!"

:rofl:

After that I couldn't keep a straight face.

Glockdude1
01-01-2007, 19:16
Anyone ever hear of "mini buds"???

:thumbsup:

Rebel_James
01-01-2007, 19:45
My rule of thumb, along with a bit of life experience is this:

If a man is BRAGGING about his actions of being a HERO, he probably IS LYING!

Case in point. I used to work with a man, I'll call him 'John,' that was what you'd call a Cop's Cop. John was the guy you wanted with you in a brawl, or the guy you wanted there to enter a house in a felony situation. Helluva guy! Great Cop!! He'd been in a shooting situation, got shot, and shot the bad guy! THE COP you wanted with you when the SHTF!

Except for one thing .... His stories of Heroism in 'Nam. Stories that would make goosebumps come up on you. Stories that would make you wonder how the hell he got out of there alive!

Then one day, another officer gave me a book to read. When he gave it to me, he told me he'd loaned it to 'John' earlier. I forget the name of the book, but it was a book of true stories about combat in 'Nam.

I read the book and .... lo and behold .... it was the same damn stories that John had told us, with him being the 'Hero.'

Turns out John was in the service and did serve in 'Nam, as an AP in the Air Force.

He didn't need to brag/lie. Something in him must have made him insecure that he felt he had to make up lies to make himself look better. I don't know why. I do know I lost some respect for him when I found out the truth though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v32/Rebel_James/Clday06042.jpg

Navy HMC
01-02-2007, 04:32
Yeah, I did a lot of secret stuff. If I told you about it, you'ld have to kill me...wait that didn't come out right. :animlol:

I worked for a Special Warfare Group overseas once as a general duty corpsman. I agree, they were a very professional bunch. Yes, you could tell they were seals, mostly by how good of shape they were in. I didn't see or hear any of them being billy badass. I would imagine that when you are one of the baddest mofo's out there, you don't have to brag about it.

That and those who are the braggerts won't get through hell week at BUDS anyway.

I had a new guy here at work that pulled the I was a SEAL on me-didn't know I was still in the navy (reserves)and had friends. He left a week later rather than have to work with me again since he knew that I knew.

Glockdude1
01-02-2007, 07:10
Originally posted by Navy HMC
I had a new guy here at work that pulled the I was a SEAL on me-didn't know I was still in the navy (reserves)and had friends. He left a week later rather than have to work with me again since he knew that I knew.

Give someone enough rope they will hang themselves.

:animlol:

KyInvestigator
01-02-2007, 07:19
We just hired a Project Mgr who claims to be a seal. I am suspicious, he casually mentions he has killed several people, and doesn't seem to be affected by it at all, in fact seems to be bragging.

I hear this crap all the time from guys that had nothing to do with the subject. If you weren't a SEAL then move on.

You'd have a better chance of me kicking your *** then me digging up my DD214

First of all for those who think that this is a small matter let me assure you that in today's society it is not...companies have a duty to investigate all aspects of an employee's fitness for a job, and this include psychological health if needed.

Suppose this (potential) imposter was to "lose it" and injure someone on the job? The company can be held legally liable for all consequential damages attached to their failure to perform, or have performed a background investigation into the fitness and character of the specific individual.

As for the DD214? It should be readily available for any ex-serviceman or woman who are reentering the civilian world. If you do not have one, get another copy. The businesses for which I work will ask for a copy if you state that you served in the military. If you state that you did not, and it is found out later that you did, you likely will be a termination candidate....or at the very least you will face disciplinary action.

My suggestion would be for the company to immediately have the man's application for employment investigated by a professional (and I do not mean the HR department) to see what can be found. I would insist on a DD214. Tell him "No form, no job." He can replace it. If evidence of falsehoods appear on the application then he should be terminated immediately.

Of course he will go on to another place where he can act important, but the former company will have stood up for all the men and women who HAVE served and ARE currently serving by saying that being an imposter is NOT OK here....

Just my input....not only from my profesional point of view, but also honoring those friends of mine who have served well.

PeterJasonMN
01-02-2007, 13:49
Re KyInvestigator's last post:

At one of my last jobs I worked we had a kid we did NOT want working there come in and apply. We didn't want him working there because he was an arrogant a-hole and kept hitting on one of our employees.

However, he was also of a minority race and homosexual. In a town that LOVES to go after companies that don't practice strict "affirmative action" measures. Our boss was FUMING mad about the situation.

Until I looked at his application, and then opened our misc. crap drawer. :supergrin:

He gave us a crappy $20 bill. It wasn't counterfeit or anything, but it was torn so much the bank wouldn't accept it. So my boss was holding onto the kid's military ID as collateral until he produced a new $20.

Right there on the application under "Have you ever been a member of the US Armed Forces?" he had checked "NO". But we had his ID to prove that at least he was in for a little while.

Game. Set. Match. He came in later demanding an interview saying they couldn't discriminate against him. That was the greatest thing being able to tell him to pound sand.:)

Gunmeister
01-09-2007, 08:23
As a helicopter aircrewman (back in the day) it was my priveledge to transport many of the US Navy's finest fighting men. One in particular sticks in my mind, an LDO LTjg who was known as Fat Albert who had a large portion of the calf on one of his legs blown away, he never complained or BRAGGED about anything. The Seals I knew operated out of Little Creek Amphib Base in VA, they had a secret "Frat House" in Va Beach which I was invited to on the condition that I would never divulged it's location. My lips are still sealed (no pun there) and I was invited to some of the wildest parties known to man. What a group!!! (Oh to be young again).
I have personally known well over a hundred genuine Seals, none of them EVER bragged about anything, they must be taught that in BUDS training.
I retired from active duty in 1986 after 32 years service, since then I have met numerous "wanna be's" who try to make you believe that they were Seals, I can see through them instantly. The worst are young men who claim to have been "Frog Men".
For what it's worth, most operations performed by Seal Teams are classified as Secret and unless the ops have been de-classified (most never are) team members are sworn to secrecy and will never brag about having been part of any clandestine operation.
Bottom line--- a "Real Seal" will never tell you he was one until he gets to know you real well. Also he will never brag about anything.

Glockdude1
01-09-2007, 09:40
I am currently working with a guy that claims to have been a USMC scout sniper. He knows alot about weapons, but I have never seen him shoot. He started talking about the "jump training" he went thru to be a scout sniper. I have over 1200 documented jumps. Skydiving is a subject I know very well. I started asking him detailed questions about the gear he used. I asked him how he felt about the "pins & cones" system used for the parachute harness. He said he had no problem with it. After I let him know that the "pins & cones" was used back in the 60's and is now extinct.

He does not talk to me anymore, gee I wonder why........

hokieglock
01-09-2007, 09:54
you can easily get a copy of your dd214 at a local base, or start here:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/dd-214.html

ask to see his dd214:thumbsup:

Grim Jackal
01-09-2007, 13:42
As a matter of point, Jump Training is not part of any requirement for USMC Scout/Sniper Qualification, or at least it wasn't when I was in, 94'-98'.

No, I wasn't a Sniper, but some of my friends were, and during the three years I worked, trained and lived with them not one ever got Jump Qualified. It's just not part of their required training or in their reputuar.

Glockdude1
01-09-2007, 13:58
Originally posted by Grim Jackal
As a matter of point, Jump Training is not part of any requirement for USMC Scout/Sniper Qualification, or at least it wasn't when I was in, 94'-98'.

No, I wasn't a Sniper, but some of my friends were, and during the three years I worked, trained and lived with them not one ever got Jump Qualified. It's just not part of their required training or in their reputuar.

I was not a scout sniper, I knew he was F.O.S when he knew next to nothing about jump training and the gear, when he claimed to have earned his jump wings. This guy did not even know what a "Blood Pinning" was.

:shocked:

m1911a1
01-09-2007, 14:08
the ones i know won't say **** about it , and i've known some of these people for almost 30 years...

3 weelin geezer
01-11-2007, 09:02
Did you ever see "True Lies"? I am referring to the 'waiter/seal/secret agent' that was serving wine and pee'd his pants when jamie stuck him in the back with that assault lipstick. That guy is FOS! REAL SEALs don't go around bragging. It just makes sense that you don't want the wrong people to hear that you are the one that blew up X military asset and cost them the war. You'll be more wanted than billy the kidd. And you know what they say: Loose lips sink ships. That and if anyone is somewhat 'normal' they don't want to make it look kewl that they had to kill someone.

Glockdude1
01-11-2007, 15:46
Originally posted by 3 weelin geezer
Did you ever see "True Lies"? I am referring to the 'waiter/seal/secret agent' that was serving wine and pee'd his pants when jamie stuck him in the back with that assault lipstick.

I believe his name was "Simon".

:supergrin:

LBTRS
01-11-2007, 16:24
I had a barber recently, that had cut my hair for years, "come out of the closet" while cutting my hair. I'm currently active duty Navy and one day while talking about the Navy he piped out that he was a "Navy SEAL", I asked how long ago he was "in" and he said "I'm still in". I thought to myself, oh boy here we go, a 50+ year old, fat barber and is still a Navy SEAL?

He then moves over to a drawer and pulls out a handgun and says that he has to keep the gun close because he never knows when he will be called into action and that there were agencies "out there" that were trying to assassinate him.

I thanked him for the haircut, paid him, and have since found a new barber.

Glockdude1
01-11-2007, 18:14
Originally posted by LBTRS
I had a barber recently, that had cut my hair for years, "come out of the closet" while cutting my hair. I'm currently active duty Navy and one day while talking about the Navy he piped out that he was a "Navy SEAL", I asked how long ago he was "in" and he said "I'm still in". I thought to myself, oh boy here we go, a 50+ year old, fat barber and is still a Navy SEAL?

He then moves over to a drawer and pulls out a handgun and says that he has to keep the gun close because he never knows when he will be called into action and that there were agencies "out there" that were trying to assassinate him.

I thanked him for the haircut, paid him, and have since found a new barber.

Go back and ask him if he was ever a "cook".
(Under Siege)

:laughabove:

Glockdude1
01-11-2007, 18:15
Double post

3 weelin geezer
01-11-2007, 18:25
So how was the hair cut? I bet he was also in 'nam looking for his long lost friend 'Charlie' but never found him, eh?

I met a bum once that claimed he was a Vietnam veteran and was waving the flag all over the place. You know, those little 4x6" on a stick. Anyways, I asked him when he was born and replied: 1971. I just had to call BS on that one. He didn't remain talking to me anymore.

Navy HMC
01-17-2007, 01:54
Originally posted by 3 weelin geezer
So how was the hair cut? I bet he was also in 'nam looking for his long lost friend 'Charlie' but never found him, eh?

I met a bum once that claimed he was a Vietnam veteran and was waving the flag all over the place. You know, those little 4x6" on a stick. Anyways, I asked him when he was born and replied: 1971. I just had to call BS on that one. He didn't remain talking to me anymore.

I think I took care of that guy a year or so ago...Same story. Was a Ranger in 'Nam and had PTSD and I would never know when he would "Go Off" and I should watch it. Of course he was absolutely slobbering drunk-his state ID had him born in 1968. I found myself thinking about how lucky I was that he did go off on me as if he was so bad at 5-8 years old that he was in 'Nam, what would he be like now.

Yeah, I called him on it too: "Ummm, Sparky, how could you have been in 'Nam, you were only 9 when we pulled out?" His repsonse was a resounding F!!! you! but, he still didn't go off on me.

PBR Sailor
03-24-2007, 09:21
I don't understand the mindset of these people who proclaim they're Special Forces or a SEAL. We had a guy in our area who claimed to be a SEAL on loan to the CIA. The 22 year old braggard advised he had graduated BUDS which he attended in South Carolina. After a little more conversation, I found out he was an Admin Jarhead, but he still insisted he was a real deal SEAL. He could not tell me anything about the Draeger or any other rebreather system. He squirmed when I asked his BUDS Class Number. After listening to his operational experience and judging by his age, I calculated he earned his right to wear the Budweiser at about age 9. He must have been one bad dude in kindergarten.

There is nothing wrong with being a bomb humper (AO), deck ape (BM) or cannon cocker (GM). Most of us Mark I Mod 0 sailors get real pissed off when we hear the bull**** coming from the braggards. I am thinking about buying a Bull **** flag and keeping it in my truck. That way, if I hear another loud mouth 20 year old war hero with fifteen years of operational experience, I can go out to my truck and go back into the bar waiving the flag. Anyone know where I can buy a B.S. flag ?

Signed: Not a SEAL.

Fred Hansen
03-24-2007, 13:13
For Rump Ranger™ ID ask techie.

http://gallery.armyranger.com/albums/verifications/Macbeth_Jessie.jpg

For "SEALs" ask Nakkie.

Those libs sure know their men.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, just ask to see his DD-214. Anyone with honorable service will be happy to show it to you. Only phonies like Hanoi John Kerry won't let people see their military records.

brownmajik
04-06-2007, 16:15
Ask him his BUD/S class number and when their indoc was. Then ask who his boat crew leader or swim buddy was. Then ask who his class proctor was. Then ask who his CO was. Then ask to see his dd-214. If you still believe / don't believe said person, submit his information to a group called VeriSEAL. They are staffed by ex- NavSpecWar folks and have the technology and contacts to verify a person's military background. Remember, there is no such thing as a "SECRET NAVY SEAL."

I dedicate this posting to Petty Officer 2nd Class Mike Monsoor, who paid the ultimate price so that others may live. Hoo Yah Monsoor.

SARDG
04-06-2007, 22:48
Originally posted by hokieglock
..you can easily get a copy of your dd214 at a local base...
I'm skeptical... As far as I know, all such requests need to go through archives.gov. I waited 18 months after a request for awards (and verification of awards earned) before anything showed up - and that was the second time I had requested the info. The first request was lost apparently.

I expected to get a DD-215 (Correction to DD-214) but got some other form with my name and SSN at the top and the list of awards (medals/ribbons) earned. Since I ended up with double the awards than I thought I had (8 instead of 4 - whoopee), I copied the form and had it inserted in my personnel jacket with the Coast Guard Aux so anyone who thought I was a poser that suddenly bolted-on extra ribbons, could ask for my jacket to be reviewed.

Sorry for the semi-hijack... I'm just sensitive to posing and posers as well.

PBR Sailor
04-07-2007, 04:39
Originally posted by Fred Hansen Seriously though, just ask to see his DD-214. Anyone with honorable service will be happy to show it to you. [/B]

Some of us consider the DD-214 to be personal. NDBBMO. As long as you don't lie and pretend to be something you are not and don't pretend that you received ribbons you did not receive, there should be no reason or need to show anything. The arm chair commandos who try to impress anyone else could phony up a DD-214 anyway. It's been done before.

If you served honorably, is that not enough ?

Signed: Just a Sailor (Not a SEAL)

Fred Hansen
04-07-2007, 10:36
Originally posted by PBR Sailor
Some of us consider the DD-214 to be personal. NDBBMO. As long as you don't lie and pretend to be something you are not and don't pretend that you received ribbons you did not receive, there should be no reason or need to show anything. The arm chair commandos who try to impress anyone else could phony up a DD-214 anyway. It's been done before.

Signed: Just a Sailor (Not a SEAL) Well in this particular case the person in question offered up the information that he was a SEAL, and given the other evidence presented is almost certainly lying and pretending.

So yes, overall I agree, that if the person never brings up their service, and most especially never trys to claim that they were the original Mk1 Mod0 Death-Commando, then yeah, it's nobody's business. Then again that isn't what we are talking about is it? This is more along the lines of a Hanoi John Kerry talking about how President Nixon sent him in to Cambodia during Christmas of 1968 -- although in fairness only a libtard would need Kerry's DD-214 to figure out that Nixon wasn't President until January of 1969. People like Kerry feel compelled to sing about all of their triumphs, but when pressed to substantiate the circumstances of said triumphs - even in the face of signed testimonials to the contrary, they refuse access to their DD-214 and most assuredly won't sign an SF-180.

And yes a person couldawouldashouldakindasortamighta fake a DD-214, but once the employer has a copy they can verify it - in this case through NavPers - and find out whether or not it is legitimate. And as mentioned earlier, the employer could be (wrongfully in my opinion) held responsible for anything this person may do should said person turn out to be a fruitcake.

In the final analysis if a person doesn't have the balls to put their own name on the line anything they say should be taken with boulder-sized grains of salt.

Signed: Not a SEAL either though I'm not sure WTF that has to do with anything.

charmincarmens
04-07-2007, 10:42
If he is bragging that he is a Seal,then he would gladly show his DD 214,or anything else he has to prove it.If he don't,he AIN'T.Period.

WINGS
04-07-2007, 11:17
I posted this last spring. FYI for getting a DD 214 copy for yourself. I'm not sure if you can get one for some other person.

DD 214s NOW ONLINE
It's official, DD-214's are NOW Online.

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s online:

http://vetrecs.archives.gov/

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes. NPRC is working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet access to obtain copies of documents from their military files. Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents.

Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online web site. Because the requester will be asked to supply all information

essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized. The new web-based application was designed to provide

better service on these requests by eliminating the records center's mailroom processing time.

Please pass this information on to former military personnel you may know and their dependents.

PBR Sailor
04-07-2007, 13:37
Another possible source for a copy of a DD-214 is the county courthouse. When I was discharged, I went to the county courthouse near my home town and filed a copy with the County Clerk's Office. They gave me a nice laminated card I could carry in my wallet that showed I received an honorable discharge and the location where the certified copy was kept at the clerk's office. If I lost the original DD-214, I had something to fall back on. I could go to the courthouse for a certified copy. I think somebody from the VA suggested I file the DD-214 with the county clerk. Not sure, it's been awhile back. At the time I separated, the federal government was rather cumbersome to deal with and slower than gray paint dries.

People in my area file Freedom of Information requests at the County Circuit Clerk's Office and get copies of criminal court records from cases they had no involvment in. I wonder if a person could obtain a copy of another person's DD-214 that way from the County Clerk's Office. It might be a good source.

3 weelin geezer
04-07-2007, 17:59
Originally posted by PBR Sailor
Some of us consider the DD-214 to be personal.

Signed: Just a Sailor (Not a SEAL)

Nope. Too many wannabe's say they were in 'Nam or whatever. Usually the ones that are in the median or at the light asking for money here. One guy I asked when he was born said '73. How did he serve in 'Nam then? :steamed: I wanted to spit on that guy so bad but my mouth was dry. I just say I was in the navy and thats that. No SEALS, no special forces or anything. Whats done is done and the middle east was left where it is. I don't carry a dd-214 either so if they believe me great. If they don't...oh well. Everyone I say that to acts like it was just another job so I don't go trying to get a statue erected for me or anything......They should though.:thumbsup: