Best Gun Shop in the Triangle Area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Gun Shop in the Triangle Area?

bogey3737
11-08-2006, 08:50
I'm thinking about picking up an M1A and am looking for a good store in the Raleigh/Durham/CH/Apex area. Any suggestions?

chuckman
11-11-2006, 06:38
Raleigh gunshops: Davi's, and Personal Defense Handgun Safety Center (I think that's the full name). The first is is north Raleigh, the second is in south Raleigh. For highly competitive prices, often the best in the area, try Mace Sports down I-85 in Mebane.
Hope this helps.

Sly_C
11-14-2006, 06:40
Originally posted by chuckman
Raleigh gunshops: Davi's, and Personal Defense Handgun Safety Center (I think that's the full name). The first is is north Raleigh, the second is in south Raleigh. For highly competitive prices, often the best in the area, try Mace Sports down I-85 in Mebane.
Hope this helps.

I'll second that motion on Davi's, but coming from a man who lives in Mebane, avoid Mace Sports at all costs. Crappy service and ******* employees. The best prices in the area? Ha!

RoyG
11-14-2006, 08:41
Jim's Gun Shop
609 Woodland Rd
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 772-0995

It's actually in Garner, south of Raleigh off of 401. Call first to make sure he's there. One of the last kitchen table FFLs you'll find. Well he has a shop behind his house in his garage.

He will probably at the Dixie Gun show this weekend. Look for him at a small table along the back wall.

Jim's (http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=jim%27s+gun+shop&near=Garner,+NC+27529&radius=0.0&cid=35711111,-78614444,5400635922627573176&li=lmd&z=14&t=m)

chuckman
11-14-2006, 09:10
Did not know about Jim's, thanks for the heads-up. Regarding Mace's, yeah, I have some issues with a couple of the people there, but some of the employees have been great. As far as getting my handguns, I have gotten a Spingfield and Glock there, essentially 'named my price,' and have received great service. Perceptions. Go figure.

Sapperstang
11-14-2006, 18:15
Stay away from Davi's unless you want to pay more.

Old School
11-15-2006, 17:46
I don't know if Vass counts, but Ed's Gun Shop in Vass is the best dealer in Eastern NC. I've gotten great deals at Perry's in Wendell as well.

Strider47
11-16-2006, 11:35
Ed's or The Gun Rack in Kernersville are your best bets. If you hit Davi's ask for Richard. Remember, MSRP is just that. Most places will bend on price.

bogey3737
11-16-2006, 21:06
Thanks, guys...paid a visit to Davi's last weekend. Decent selection, but it seemed that they were pretty pricey. I also dropped by Young Guns in in Apex and thought their prices were pretty decent. I'll be paying a visit to Dixie this weekend to see if I can find a good deal on a rifle.

Sapperstang
11-17-2006, 07:08
Originally posted by bogey3737
Thanks, guys...paid a visit to Davi's last weekend. Decent selection, but it seemed that they were pretty pricey. I also dropped by Young Guns in in Apex and thought their prices were pretty decent. I'll be paying a visit to Dixie this weekend to see if I can find a good deal on a rifle.

Didn't read my post above huh? :supergrin:

bogey3737
11-17-2006, 10:51
Had already gone before I got the sound advice :thumbsup:

WolfiePacker
11-29-2006, 12:45
Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center. Minimal mark-ups and great service. Theyll take care of you.

bogey3737
11-29-2006, 13:17
Originally posted by WolfiePacker
Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center. Minimal mark-ups and great service. Theyll take care of you.

Thanks...that's where I do my range work. Managed to pick up the rifle at the Dixie Show.

kevdog91
12-20-2006, 17:51
I went to the Gun Rack in Kernersville today based on a previous post. I had a significant amount of money to spend, but no one there wanted it. I was in the store for around 20 minutes, and not once did the owner/employee acknowledge my prescence. I'm not trying to bash them, but if I'm gonna spend several hundred dollars at a store I would like it if you would at least act like you care about customer service. After looking at the selection of glocks, I mentioned to a man (behind the counter) that seemed to have a stool surgically attached to his *****, that this was my first time in the Gun Rack, and that I heard about him through Glock Talk. I asked him a couple of questions about the models that he had, only to get short answers that made me realize that he could care less if I was there or not. I don't mean to rant, but what has happened to customer service.

FDC
12-20-2006, 18:06
<---not in NC anymore, but I've been stationed at Bragg 3 different times.
Not technically the Triangle, but Ed's Guns on Route 1 in Vass isn't bad-bought an SP101 there. Bought my XD45 from Jims Gun Jobbery in Fayetteville---good deal there.

Don't know about rifles in the area-the only rifle I've "bought" has been from the CMP. I would take the 45 minute drive down to Ed's to check things out though---you never know what you might find.

Pinki
12-20-2006, 20:40
You might want to try Rudder's Gun Service in Butner if you are going to the Oxford range. 207 Central Ave, Butner, 27509. 919.575.8811. It is a small shop, though.

Canon9
01-01-2007, 08:09
Response to KevDog about experience at Gun Rack.

I am new into guns/shooting/collecting and pretty much purchase what I want. However people, service, friendliness, recognition, fair but not necessarily the lowest price keeps me coming back to the same place. I am a very loyal customer. I purchased my Kimber Stainless Gold Match from Arringtons and they have met all the requirements listed above. I have no reason to go anywhere else at this time and I will continue buying from them unless something goofy happens. Last week, my visit to the Gun Rack in Kernersville was out of curiosity. My first visit there was much better than the second. My second visit was to purchase another Kimber and they had in stock what I wanted. Bill (owner) was in the back and came out front and didn't acknowledge that we had talked a couple days earlier. I spoke to him and started to ask him about the Kimber and he looked over at a guy sitting on the stool and said, "Watch the front, I am going to do some paperwork" and turned and walked away. How could someone that you talked to for ten minutes a couple of days earlier not even recognize or acknowledge that you came back?

Perhaps they have more business than they need or just don't know better. I understand the markup on guns is not great but all the related stuff pay the bills. My $1250 gun purchase from Arringtons has resulted in $300 - 500 additional related item sales which I am sure is profitable. I don't try to negotiate price with them. Service is more important. This and future business could have been the Gun Racks if they had treated me like my business was important. Regardless I want go back.

Prejudging a person's ability or interest to buy anything is one of the worst mistakes and habits that anyone in the retail business can get into.

Gbuilder
01-03-2007, 16:24
+1 for jim's guns. He is the cheapest FFL transfer in the area and will order just about anything for you if you ask him nicely. I needed 2 replacement mags for my hi-point carbine and all the major gun dealers refuse to cary anything hi-point so I couldnt find them local. Jim ordered them for me and his price was actually less than anything I could find on the internet! I have also done a transfer on an AK receiver through him, and I have a good friend who has had several positive experiences with him who actually refered him to me.

Also perry's in wendell is pretty good as well as a general gun shop, they have a really great after christmas sale. I picked up the hi-point carbine there used for 65 dollars!

The PDHSC is a good place too though, especially for self defense and tactical firearms as they seem to cater that type of shooting more so then other local dealers, PDHSC seems to have the best ar15 related products and prices in the area.

Strider47
01-03-2007, 16:39
Yikes, sorry to hear so many have had issues at The Gun Rack! I've bought a Champion safe and about $4000.00 worth of guns from Bill. Maybe I just look purty, but I've never had a problem.

Of course, I've long ago given up on decent (read: overly enthusiastic to take your money) customer service from any commercial entity long ago.

Canon9
01-04-2007, 04:11
I love to shop at locally owned independent stores because this is where historically you get better service. I don't think it is uncommon for a person that has been in business for many years to get tired and lose their enthusiasm for their work. I am sure it gets harder and harder to make a living. Perhaps Bill was having a bad day or I was expecting too much. I can be high strung myself at times and patience has never been a strength. I am certainly not "purty" but I didn't see anyone in the store that was. I will blame the experience on bad luck and try again.

Thanks....

Yikes, sorry to hear so many have had issues at The Gun Rack! I've bought a Champion safe and about $4000.00 worth of guns from Bill. Maybe I just look purty, but I've never had a problem.

Of course, I've long ago given up on decent (read: overly enthusiastic to take your money) customer service from any commercial entity long ago.

Vigilant
01-06-2007, 20:55
Lawmens in Raleigh usually has a somewhat limited selection from what I have seen, but their prices looked good to me. In fact, I'm planning on a trip up that way. Last time I was there, they had some MINT Gen 2 G22s for $350 each. They seem to keep a few used 870Ps on hand too.

Trazar
01-10-2007, 23:10
I will tell you this, Bill is generally a very gruff person. I think Bill is a good guy he just sees a ton of people and receives alot of phone calls. If you are looking for the super friendly gun shop, the Gun Rack is not the place to sit around and chat, if you are looking to buy a handgun at great price, it's a good place to shop. I like to think of the Gun Rack as the no nonsense place to go, I don't expect to be sold, but I also don't worry about getting taken either.

Originally posted by Canon9
I love to shop at locally owned independent stores because this is where historically you get better service. I don't think it is uncommon for a person that has been in business for many years to get tired and lose their enthusiasm for their work. I am sure it gets harder and harder to make a living. Perhaps Bill was having a bad day or I was expecting too much. I can be high strung myself at times and patience has never been a strength. I am certainly not "purty" but I didn't see anyone in the store that was. I will blame the experience on bad luck and try again.

Thanks....

Canon9
01-11-2007, 02:25
Trazar.......I think your evaluation of the Gun Rack is spot on.

glockinNC
01-11-2007, 14:15
I second the favorable post on Lawmen's. Their prices can't be beat locally, anyway. Great prices on Surefire's, too. I've even thought about buying lights from Lawmen's to resell on Ebay for $20 more each!

G26man
01-19-2007, 18:47
A big +1 on that. Great people and great prices.

Jims is a good place too.

Davis is ridiculously overpriced. Don't waste your time.

Canon9
01-20-2007, 02:45
I am sure I just hit the Gun Rack on a bad day. All of us have those. I guess it all has to do with how we interact with people. I have had excellent luck at Arringtons. They have been friendly, very helpful, accommodating and their prices fair. They know my name and call me that when I enter the door. They have a nice inventory and will get anything for me that I ask. I have purchased a Glock, Kimber and a S & W from then in the past thirty days and I am sure there will be many more this year. I believe in loyalty. They treat me right, I will do the same.

JasonNC
01-20-2007, 20:12
I hate to say it but 95%+ of my gun collection is bought online and transfered through Scott Allison of Big Sky Gun and Ammo out of Apex. I found his contact info through Gun Broker and he always makes time for me the day the item arrives (Private Dealer & full time LEO) and only charges me $15 per transfer.

When I think about it. With the exception of the rare occasion of a gun show deal, I can't find firearms cheap as I can online and just the sales tax saved makes it worth buying sight unseen when dealing with new firearms.

Mace Sports: I do most of my local gun accessories shopping there b/c its close. You mention buying ANYTHING gun related online there and you will get major attitude. I also went there twice to purchase a firearm they didn't have in stock. Both times leaving my number and was told they would call when its in stock. Both times they never called. Also did the same thing to my bro.

PDHS: I like these guys. They have the best firearms prices in the Triangle and have always been helpful. The resident gunsmith is a d-ck though

Davi's: They have the best selection in the triangle. They also have the best quality knife selection I have seen outside the Blade Show but their prices are too high and last time I was in there (I stop in while working in the area) I had my boss beep me on my Nextel. I immediately turned down the volume and headed for the door. I still had an employee loudly "reprimand" me and tell me cell phone use was not allowed in the store. I wouldn't be going back. I hate folks spouting off on their cell phones in public, but I got beeped and was heading for the door with the phone silenced. oh well!

Armory Arms: These guys got the best gunsmith in the area that does work out of there. He is nice, cheap and works fast. The store itself has little in stock but they can order anything at a decent price. Bad thing is its a mom and pop operation and they never seem to be open during their posted business hours which makes me never stop by unless I need gunsmith work AND call in advance.

Young Guns: My only two experiences at Young Guns have been positive. They have a nice selection and decent prices. Still alittle short on the customer service side but not too bad.

Like I said previously. Right now, all of the above are just my source for accessories and ammo when I don't feel like getting it online. Right now Gunbroker, Guns America, Auction Arms, CDNN, etc.. get my needs filled

Sly_C
01-20-2007, 21:49
Originally posted by TheBadGuy
... Mace Sports: I do most of my local gun accessories shopping there b/c its close. You mention buying ANYTHING gun related online there and you will get major attitude. I also went there twice to purchase a firearm they didn't have in stock. Both times leaving my number and was told they would call when its in stock. Both times they never called. Also did the same thing to my bro. ...

They've pretty much gotten an attitude every time I've gone in there, whether internet sales were mentioned or not. The hell with them. Brian's Gun and Tackle has just about everything Mace has and are more than happy to help you. Plus, they actually call you when your stuff comes in.

dmarker
01-31-2007, 20:41
I have also had bad experiences at Mace Sports, mainly with the owner/manager when trying to trade pistols with cash for a newer/different one. He seems to think that anything I want to trade is a "model" that is not moving in the Triangle area (Glock,XD,Sig). I feel like I am trying to trade in a vehicle when I go there, and subsequently I have stopped.;

edrobert
02-03-2007, 21:26
One of the cheapest transfer dealers near Charlotte is Kathy at Mooresville Pawn. She charges $10 and gets you in and out :)

G26man
02-03-2007, 21:59
Originally posted by TheBadGuy
Young Guns: My only two experiences at Young Guns have been positive. They have a nice selection and decent prices. Still alittle short on the customer service side but not too bad.
I forgot to mention Young Guns in my post. I really don't like the atmosphere there. The gentleman that runs the place is loud and comes off as some kind of commando type and I feel like I'm being scrutinized every second I'm in there. It's worse than being at a car dealer. I only stop there sometimes because it's on the way to my range. He's at least 10-20% higher on most guns than PDHSC, but has a good ammo selection.

Gawker
02-06-2007, 21:24
Check out Eagle 1 on Craftsman dr. behind the Walmart on New hope church rd. Good guys and they are about to open a range.

Glock&Schpeel
02-07-2007, 21:57
edit: posted in wrong thread. disregard and please delete.

Bogey
02-08-2007, 19:59
Originally posted by Gawker
Check out Eagle 1 on Craftsman dr. behind the Walmart on New hope church rd. Good guys and they are about to open a range.

Nice guys in there.

Gun prices are a tad high though. (on some models)

I found them quite by accident. I've made several purchases in there (non-firearm) and been very pleased with the level of service and attitude.

Gawker
02-08-2007, 20:39
Originally posted by Bogey
Nice guys in there.

Gun prices are a tad high though. (on some models)

I found them quite by accident. I've made several purchases in there (non-firearm) and been very pleased with the level of service and attitude.

I have bought 3 guns from them and have not paid the price on the tag. They will deal on the prices.

jacksplat
02-27-2007, 17:22
Ed's Guns in Vass is by far the best combination of great inventory, good staff, great prices, and, of course, Ed, who always stays calm even though at times it seems he has to do it all himself.
Worth driving 60 extra miles to avoid the cocky folks at Davi's, who get big crowds mainly due to the attached range. Without the range to draw 'em in, they would go broke in no time.
PDHSC is a great place to shoot, and have good to excellent prices on what they have.....they just don't have all that much. Although they, like anyone else, can get stuff in quickly.

dmb12984
02-28-2007, 11:57
+1 for Scott Allison of Big Sky Gun and Ammo out of Apex. I get all my guns from gunbroker or classified sections of this forum and a few others.

DAVIS has the best selection i have seen in the area but there customer NO-SERVICE is why i never step foot in that store. Plus there prices are really high...and did i mention that there customer service sucks????

YES I HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH THEM WHEN TRYING TO BUY MY FIRST GUN...granted it was about 4 years ago but it was my first gun purchase EVER just after i turned 18.

spober
03-04-2007, 14:25
Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center. Minimal mark-ups and great service. Theyll take care of you. by far the best....................davis and perrys are competitive with each other.

G-Mac-N-NC
03-05-2007, 06:15
Hey Bogey.

Send me private message please.

dickdaney
04-03-2007, 16:46
The guys at the gun rack have great customer service...If you're a woman. I went in there with my wife and they treated her like she was buying out the store. I noticed they're really friendly to women, the times I went there and there were women there also. At least they're better than arringtons