First Day of Muzzleloader (Virginia) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Day of Muzzleloader (Virginia)

DWavs
11-11-2006, 19:00
This little guy made the mistake of walking out in front of me.

eagles405
11-11-2006, 19:12
NICE:thumbsup:

I haven't had the opportunity for a buck yet but hope to soon!

Stay safe and good luck.

eagles 405

vafish
11-11-2006, 20:09
Nice buck!

I had a fork horn walk right under my stand on Friday and couldn't get a shot at him.

Got happy feet and my left foot moved a bit just as I was starting to take aim. It made a little noise and he bolted.

noway
11-11-2006, 21:48
{This little guy made the mistake of walking out in front of me}

Any story to go with this photo? What you used ? distance ?

Looks very good and a proud set of horns to go with him ;)

DWavs
11-12-2006, 09:26
Originally posted by noway
{This little guy made the mistake of walking out in front of me}

Any story to go with this photo? What you used ? distance ?

Looks very good and a proud set of horns to go with him ;)

Sure!

First day of muzzleloader...using my 50 caliber inline Knight.

Started the day off by seeing nothing in the morning. Was a little bummed cause I knew it was supposed to get up to 70 degrees that day!

Went back out at around 3:00. Situated myself in my ladder stand and started to wait. Around 4:30, 2 doe walked behind me down a path. 1 was a yearling and the other was 2-3 years old. Checked them out but for some reason, I wasn't in the mood to swing around and drop the bigger doe. About 1 minute later, I hear more sound behind me and the buck was following the doe. The doe canter out of sight and the buck is sbout 40 yards from me facing away...slowly walking away. I give a little bleat from my can and he turns broadside. Pulled the trigger for a lung shot and he bolts.

He ran about 40 yards. I knew he went down because I could hear tree branches crashing as he was running...which as you all know, means the agility is gone due to the injury. Waited about 5 minutes, climbed down from the stand, and walked towards where I thought he would have fallen and there he lay.

Weighed him when hanging him and he was around 160 field dressed so he was probably close to 200 before hand.

Will probably do a head mount since large deer are not the norm on the leased land that I hunt.

noway
11-12-2006, 12:00
Nice story. Walkin out on any opener day and getting a nice buck is one heck of an nice feeling ;)

Did you use a conical or sabot/bullet in that knight ?

DWavs
11-12-2006, 15:08
Originally posted by noway
Nice story. Walkin out on any opener day and getting a nice buck is one heck of an nice feeling ;)

Did you use a conical or sabot/bullet in that knight ?

I use the 245 grain Powerbelts with 90 grains of powder in the gun.

iiibbb
11-12-2006, 17:21
Nice buck.

I got an 8-pointer on Saturday morning about 7:45 am.

I was sitting at the top of a ridge under a tree about to doze off. I heard some leaves rustle (not a squirrel) and got a glimpse of him 100-150 yards over my right shoulder... so I had time to follow him up to about a 40 yard shot. Took the shot and got him about 2 inches behind the heart with a 245 gr. powerbelt aerotip and 2 50-gr 777 pellets out of my T/C.

He ran about 40 yards. Unfortunately over the other side of the ridge about 20 yards down a slope and down a 5 foot rock face. I had a heck of a time dressing him on the side of that "cliff" then lifting him back up to the ridge.

He fought me the whole half mile down the hill and kept dragging toward gullies and whatnot. Once I got to the logging road I used a cart for the next mile.

Best buck for me to date, and sure makes up for last year. Only my third year hunting though... so I'm sure one day I'll get a chance at something bigger (I kind-of like the little ones cause they taste so good). I'm not sure I want to drag one much bigger than this guy.

Local bucher cuts them up, packs them, and freezes them for $50. Since I live in an apartment this is an especially good deal for me.

Good luck everyone. Stay safe.

salvo
11-12-2006, 18:54
Congrats DWavs, I put in for the Muzzleloader hunt here in Nevada but was not drawn this year, so no hunting for me.
Glad to see you guys getting out there and having a good time:thumbsup:

vafish
11-13-2006, 07:33
Originally posted by salvo
Congrats DWavs, I put in for the Muzzleloader hunt here in Nevada but was not drawn this year, so no hunting for me.
Glad to see you guys getting out there and having a good time:thumbsup:

Thread drift!

My brother lives in Nevada.

I'm amazed at how often he gets passed over on the draws. I think he only hunts every other year or so.

Me I get 6 tags on my license, 2 either sex and 4 anterless only. Then depending upon which county I'm hunting in I can go back and buy more bonus tags. One property I hunt on has a damage control program so I don't even have to use my tags on deer I shoot there, just use the landowners tags.

Once in a while I'm glad I live out east.

salvo
11-13-2006, 09:34
Ya, Ya, rub it in will ya:supergrin:
I gotta git outa this place!