1st kill!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1st kill!!!

HEMI 27
11-12-2006, 11:50
WooHoo!! My first Deer!
Well heres the story of my little doe.

Sitting in a new stand in a clear cut. at about 5:30 I see her walking through the brush and couldn't get a shot off on her. I was ticked! Well i hit my grunt call 2 times and here something walking back though the woods towards me. The doe comes withing 5 feet of my stand and just stays there. She was staring right at me so I couldn't move. Something in the woods makes some noise and she looks at it and I take my chance. Get her in my sights and BOOM shes on the ground. She feel immediately on the ground and died. I used a Ruger M77 30-06 with Remington Core-Lokt 165grain bullets. I am super pleased!

Here is a pic

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/randallbrown/1stkill.jpg

DWavs
11-12-2006, 19:33
That doe will make for some good eating!

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you field dress it before loading it up?

salvo
11-12-2006, 19:47
Congrat's, you will always remember your first!
I was 12 with my dad in Northern Nevada, dropped a mule dear with his old Marlin 30-30, still got that rifle, that was 35 years ago.

So did your buddy's make you drink some blood?:devilish:

HEMI 27
11-12-2006, 19:49
Originally posted by DWavs

Just took him to the processor :supergrin:

noway
11-12-2006, 22:54
Good job and your first time getting your first deer is something to always remember ;)

:thumbsup:

Poppa Bear
11-12-2006, 23:12
Didn't dress mine before I put it in my truck either. Took almost an hour to get him to the truck and in it. Then it was a 10 minute drive to where the winch was set up. Made it real easy to hang him after dressing him out.

The buck had a hanging weight of 180 so I figure around 225 to 235 live weight.

Poppa Bear
11-12-2006, 23:19
quote:Originally posted by DWavs

HEMI 27:

Just took him to the processor

Have a cousin I was hunting with several years ago that shot a small buck. Told him you shot him you dress him.

He stabbed the knife into the belly and started sawing his way up towards the ribs.

Me: Have you ever field dressed a deer before???

No, we just took them to XXXXXX and they took care of it for us.

That was a stinky mess to finish up. :puking: :puking:

357glocker
11-13-2006, 09:05
I don't think the processor I bring my deer to would accept it undressed.......besides all the country boys would laugh at me for not getting my hands bloody!:supergrin:

salvo
11-13-2006, 18:35
I was tought to gut em were you shoot em, but I have only hunted Mule deer bucks, and it's allways a long way to pack them out. My dad tought me how to butcher the deer also, I take it you guys dont save the liver and hart?

357glocker
11-13-2006, 20:00
I never have saved the liver. How do you cook it to taste good? The heart is never an option for me.... it is always mushed up from the shot!

noway
11-13-2006, 20:37
{I never have saved the liver. How do you cook it to taste good? }

Cook it like any other liver ( beef or pork ) .It helps to drain it on cool ice for a day or maybe more before cooking.

if you don't eat heart, then you are messing some of the best muscle in a deer. It's no different than any other muscle that you eat.Just like the liver drain it on ice for a day or two. The heart and liver holds alot of blood.

vafish
11-13-2006, 20:58
My mom used to cook the deer heart. I never cared for the texture of it. Liver is thankfully a no-no with my cholestrol levels.

But other than that I gut, skin, and butcher my deer myself.

Biggest reason is I'm too cheap to pay the $65-$75 the local places want to process a deer around here.

salvo
11-13-2006, 21:28
I always carry a large ziplock bag with me to put the heart and liver in so they dont get dirty, then clean and soak them in salted ice water over night, fry up some bacon and use the grease and fry up the sliced liver and heart with onions and potatoes, season with garlick salt and pepper.
Nothen better around the campfire in the morning.

Letner
11-13-2006, 21:30
Good job HEMI 27. :thumbsup:

Lowrangerider
11-14-2006, 07:24
I always save the heart but not the liver. Heart is very good eating.
Oh, you should field dress your deer, you dont want all the bad stuff in there to get on the meat once it is dead.

noway
11-14-2006, 08:15
{I always carry a large ziplock bag with me to put the heart and liver in so they dont get dirty, then clean and soak them in salted ice water over night, fry up some bacon and use the grease and fry up the sliced liver and heart with onions and potatoes, season with garlick salt and pepper.
Nothen better around the campfire in the morning.}

You cook it up the same way as my father and his father used to do but for the bacon part they used a salted fatty trim from the hogs or now sold as bacon trimmings. They had something called "heart mash" ( look like cornbeef hash ) that was done with small dice potatoes and dice onions and some other stuff. It wasn't bad by any means and I would perfer heart over liver any day of the week.

My grandmother used to make a dish using the blood from the heart it stunk worst than blood sausages :frown:

heart is just another muscle rich in blood. The only diference between it an a loin or chuck or roast trimming is it has more blood and these big connectors on top where the blood goes out and in ;)

357glocker
11-14-2006, 20:23
I never have liked beef liver before so I will probably still pass on the deer liver. But this heart thing has peaked my interest! Guess I will have to shoot the next one a little higher to miss the heart!