Deer hunting with no tree stand [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting with no tree stand

Landogie
11-13-2006, 19:12
Does anyone here hunt deer on the ground. I plan on deer hunting for the first time this year and didn't really want to spend the money on a deer stand. Does anyone have any tips for hunting without a stand? Thanks.

G36's Rule
11-13-2006, 19:45
Sure do. That is about the only way I hunt out in West Texas.

Good camo pays off hunting on the ground. It also helps to use natural features like brush or limbs to conceal yourself. Movement is especially important as you are at their eye level and they see everything.

Be sure that you can actually see anything from where you are sitting. Sometimes you can see real well standing but once you are on the ground things change.

punkture
11-13-2006, 20:02
i've killed as many deer from the hood of an international scout II, behind ground blinds, on blown over trees/tree stumps, shooting houses, etc as i have from lock-ons, climbers , and ladder stands. i'm relatively new to climbing stands, but haven't looked back since i've started using them. get as high as you can with what you have at your disposal. use nature to your advantage and my suggestion is to have a climbing stand in your future financial plans. you won't regret it.

357glocker
11-13-2006, 20:05
I have taken the majority of deer off the ground. In fact I've only shot 2 deer from a tree stand out of the 18 deer I've killed. The important thing is find a spot with good fields of fire, keep the wind in your favor and stay quiet and still. When you move your head, do it slowly. Clear all the leaves, branches and anything that will make noise if you move.

noway
11-13-2006, 20:35
I hunt exclusively from the ground. You won't spot a deer faraway like you would from a tree-stand but it's fun hunting from planet earth.

Camo is not a big concern if you use some of the nature vegation behind you to break your outline.BASICALLY, DON'T LOOK LIKE A HUMAN.

Deer are stupid in picking you out, if you don't smell like threat, stay sown wind of the preay an don't move you can get your deer. Their eye sight is not that all good during daylight so they rely on nose and ears more so.

I've had deer walk within 5ft of my face and looking at me the whole time. And yes I'm not stretching the distance 5ft nose to nose. So close you see the whiskers on the face ;)

one thing with being on the ground, if you get at eye level of a deer for some reason you spot them quicker than from standing tall looking out and beyond. Or at least that my outcome. So get a ground seat and sit and waiting and watch. Be quiet, use you ears and eyes and try to spot deer before it spot you. Make you movements slow and smooth vrs quick and jerky. If you do have to pickup and move , walk a few yards and look everytime you move. Left than right and back to left. Deer can pop out in a heart beat. A deer standing grazing behind a shrubs unseen could now appear head raise and exposed.

hunting from the ground is cool.

BlackBelt
11-16-2006, 14:48
I hunted from the ground for years, and still do if the weather is too nasty to get up safely into a tree.
I've used fallen trees or brush piles to hide in, or a pop up ground blind if it's raining. It's tough to just lean up against a tree and not get spotted, but with a little effort you can ground hunt just fine.
My essentials for ground hunting: a portable chair (I put a sling on it for easy carry), a set of shooting sticks (less movement when you see the deer if your gun is already at shooting height), brush pruners (to get make-shift brush blind), feather on a thread (to keep a check on wind direction)
Other than that, it's just neccessary to have some good scouting skills and find the game trails in the woods.
I've taken just as many deer from the ground as I have from the treestand. But I'm sort of sold on treestand hunting now. This past Monday I took an 8 point from my TreeLounger treestand. I was about 20 feet up, but he still saw me. He looked at me twice, but couldn't really make out what I was, so he didn't alarm, and he just kept walking. Of course I didn't move a muscle when he looked at me, but I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest!

Nothing wrong with ground hunting. I imagine most people that start out hunting start on the ground.

A_Swede_17_1911
11-16-2006, 15:24
Biggest thing is to stay down wind, move with the wind in your face. Slow is best, just move slowly, walk carefully not to step on twigs or stuff that will make a lot of noise if you do happen to break a stick just pause, and look around.

Find a big stump or tree, you can face towards the wind with the tree you back to break your out line up, bushes work good for this. Stay in the shadows.

Look, and look some more, not just for a deer outline, but maybe ears, eyes, nose, back, tail, leg, etc.

Sometimes if you kneel or squat to look you can see better under brush or trees.

I hunt on the ground,and usally still hunt or walk, sometimes I will just sit and watch as well.

Steve in PA
11-16-2006, 16:43
I hunt from the ground, but usually make some kind of blind to hide behind, like the one pictured below. This is my dog Nikki checking it out last year a few weeks before the season.

A couple of years ago, I took a decent 6-point buck from this spot after having a doe walk within spitting distance to me. The view is from the downhill side.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid193/p5b50089e9dbf81a5aa8a6366a86555f0/f1a00254.jpg

This is from the left side as you look at it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid193/pc12e79ebf94e7539a38ebacef3bc4561/f1a00035.jpg

CanyonMan
11-16-2006, 19:39
Not going to try and really add anything to the advice you've already got...Just another + for Ground Hunting. Take what advice is good, and mix in experience and time, and it will come together for ya.

There is a very old saying....(application is excellent for ground hunters).

"To a Deer, every man is a stump." "To a Turkey, every stump is a man."

Go and learn what this means, and you will do well. :thumbsup:

Good hunting!

CanyonMan

iiibbb
11-18-2006, 09:12
I ground hunt. I lean some wood against the tree to create a small blind. Usually sit on the side of a hill. I use some racoon urine on sapplings around me to cover my scent a bit. I don't use anything else.

I think one of the biggest things is getting comfortable so you will sit still. I have one of these in blaze orange.

http://www.hudsontrail.com/viewFeatureItem/20/315/2469/?PHPSESSID=0ec3691d7da2fe66ab322150012a8d1e

added

Forgot to add that I also like to have one of those shooting poles to make shots behind me easier to make without moving as much.

http://www.stoneypoint.com/monopod_photos.html