Wanting to be a Firefighter but have another career... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to be a Firefighter but have another career...

ChopperEd
11-14-2006, 17:21
Hi guys. Ever since I was young I've wanted to be a pilot and a firefighter. In high school and after, the opprotunity came for me to pick the pilot route and right now I'm 23 and working as a flight instructor helicopter pilot.
Now, one of our students is a local fireman and is at the tail end of his training to be a flight instructor. I was talking to him about my interest in becoming a fireman and he told me that the local fire depts in the area would have a huge need in the coming year and told me to give it a shot to do both.
Now the question is, how many of you hold a second career or job in your spare time. As a flight instructor I've spent a considerable amount of money on training and just at the beginning of my career. On the other hand,becoming a firefighter and working for a municipality and having a career in public service,security, and benefits and working as a pilot on the spare time.
What do you guys think?

tbhracing
11-14-2006, 22:10
Where are you living right now?

k9medic
11-15-2006, 06:51
ChoppedEd,

I worked the 24/48 rotation on a truck and did CFI work as well for about a year. I basically worked 13 days in a row, and didn't have much to show for it at the end of the day. After i figured out what I wanted to do in life, I focused all of my energy on flying.

You have to decide on what you really want to do in life. When I was 23, I already had 5 years in as either a police officer or FF. I made the big choice at 26 and have not looked back since.

FWIW, i currently fly EMS so I'm just driving a different ambulance now :supergrin:

Pyro
11-24-2006, 18:01
We work 24 on 48 off on my department, basically 10 shifts a month. Many guys have part time jobs and/or businesses.

tbhracing
11-24-2006, 18:23
Again- What state do you live in? Today, getting on a FD will also cost you hundreds or hours and thousands of dollars.

So- Why not combine both career fields? NOW is the time-

http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/openxrd.cfm?exc=6FS14
http://www.fire.ca.gov/php/careers_content/downloads/06AirOpsOfcII_rider.pdf

PS- I am sorry, but working the 24/48 work schedule is not the best. I prefer the 3/4 Kelly OR the 48/96.

hotpig
11-25-2006, 22:30
I work the 48/96 at my FD and a few shifts each month on a Hospital based ALS service. I also work as a reserve Police Officer and keep passing on the paid part time positions that open. I make more as a medic than the cops do.