NC Hunters - Got a question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NC Hunters - Got a question

HEMI 27
11-14-2006, 20:15
I am going to visit my grandparents over thanksgiving holidays and want to get some hunting in.

Basically how much i a 1- 3 day hunting permit for a non-resident?

Also anything else I should know?
If I do get a kill I need to just field dress it? Or do I need to cut it on down?

Thanks.

RoyG
11-15-2006, 05:19
NC license (http://www.wildlife.state.nc.us/fs_index_01_license.htm)

DWavs
11-15-2006, 20:21
No idea on the license but I am confused on your field dressing question. I would say yes, you need to field dress it there but you should not just "cut it on down" while in the field. It poses problems with dirt getting on the venison.

In a perfect situation, you would field dress it, hang it by the hind legs somewhere (relatives?), skin it the next day, and then quarter it out.

vafish
11-16-2006, 06:28
Originally posted by DWavs
No idea on the license but I am confused on your field dressing question. I would say yes, you need to field dress it there but you should not just "cut it on down" while in the field. It poses problems with dirt getting on the venison.

In a perfect situation, you would field dress it, hang it by the hind legs somewhere (relatives?), skin it the next day, and then quarter it out.

I gut mine in the field right away. Then bring the deer home, hang it up in the garage by the hind legs and skin it right away, then I butcher it up.

If you are not going the butcher it yourself you need to call the butcher and see what they prefer. Many prefer to skin the deer themselves to keep it cleaner. Others charge you a fee to skin it.

noway
11-16-2006, 06:38
I also wouldn't wait a day to skin a deer. The warmer the animal is the easier it is to get the skin off the meat.

Only the sliver skins becomes easier to seperate from the meat with time and a cooler animal.