PS3 vs. WII [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 vs. WII

gunz
11-15-2006, 16:54
I can't decide which system I should get? I already have a 360 and would like to add another next gen console to the mix.
I think that PS3 would offer essentially the same experience as the 360 I already have. However, Sony supports games I like better and it comes with a blue ray player.
The WII is a weaker system with lesser graphics, however the control style offered by the system is novel and I like it in theory. But, I am concerned that Nintendo won't support the kind of games I like.
What do you all think?
Thanks for the help.

Strider47
11-16-2006, 11:27
What's this "Nintendo" of which you speak? ;)

jason10mm
11-17-2006, 08:08
Wait until one of them puts out a game you DO like. Unless Resistance and Gundam are totally up your alley the PS3 shouldn't be even a blip on your radar right now. Besdies, saying you want a PS3 is a lot different than actually getting one. Get the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 and enjoy that for the next 6 months :)

Trigariumrex
11-17-2006, 08:12
Originally posted by gunz
I can't decide which system I should get? I already have a 360 and would like to add another next gen console to the mix.
I think that PS3 would offer essentially the same experience as the 360 I already have. However, Sony supports games I like better and it comes with a blue ray player.
The WII is a weaker system with lesser graphics, however the control style offered by the system is novel and I like it in theory. But, I am concerned that Nintendo won't support the kind of games I like.
What do you all think?
Thanks for the help.

Since you already have a 360...my vote goes for the Wii. I think alot of people are going to be surprised by how good the system actually is. I know some people who have had the opportunity to try the new controllers and they say it's the real deal and makes gaming a whole new experience. I went to E3 this past year and saw real time videos/renders. The graphics although not on the same level as the 360 or PS3 it's no slouch either. Although they're line of games is usually geared towards a younger crowd they have plenty of the popular titles in the mix (CoD3, Resident Evil, EA Sports Games, etc). They're really trying hard to hit every age level from kiddie to big kid.

In regards to the PS3 I originally had plans to get one until I started to hear and read some pretty bad things going on w/ the PS3. I didn't want to believe some of the stuff and a part of me still doesn't. Unfortunately all is not perfect w/ the PS3. They claimed 100% backwards compatibility w/ PS1 and PS2 and early reports is that it's not quite so. Also, if you have an older HD set the unit will downscale your resolution. So a set that can do 720p or 1080p is a must.. otherwise you'll be stuck in 480 mode.

The good news, if you can call it that, is that most of the reported problems w/ the PS3 are software related. Bad news is it's Sony fixing the software. If you've ever played any of their games for PC you'll know how bad they are at "patching" things and trying to resolve software issues. They fix one thing and something else goes wrong.

Here's a good article on the current issues w/ PS3:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746492p1.html

bac1023
11-20-2006, 14:43
I have a 360 as well. My plans are to get a PS3 once they're available to the masses. I Honestly don't know too much about the WII, but I had a Gamecube and hated it. I know the WII doesn't have the processing or graphical power of the other two.

Trigariumrex
11-21-2006, 04:30
Finally got to play the wii hands on at friends house and all I've got to say is.. it's fun! It's really fun! The controllers work as advertised but there is a bit of a learning curve. With that being said once you get used to it the fun doesn't stop! It's really a gaming experience unlike any other. I felt like a kid again playing atari for the first time... it was just so new and unexpected.

There's some great posts on here regarding the wii and it all rings true. At least the positive stuff. The grafx are definitely not as good as the 360 or PS3 but it is a step up from the last gen stuff.

Since you have a 360 keep in my that alot of games are going to be cross platform on both the xbox and ps3. There will be little no significant differences between the same titled games. Unless you are in need of a BluRay player on the cheap or are a die-hard fan of the few games that Sony has as exclusives.. then the PS3 may be for you. If you're looking for something that's just different the Wii takes the cake.

DreamWeaver88
11-22-2006, 00:39
Originally posted by Trigariumrex

Since you have a 360 keep in my that alot of games are going to be cross platform on both the xbox and ps3. There will be little no significant differences between the same titled games. Unless you are in need of a BluRay player on the cheap or are a die-hard fan of the few games that Sony has as exclusives.. then the PS3 may be for you. If you're looking for something that's just different the Wii takes the cake.

Exactly. Getting a 360 and a PS3 is rather silly, IMO. Sony's exclusives aren't worth the purchase price of the PS3. The Wii is excellent. I'm loving the controller...it really is easy to use once you get used to it. I also like the fact that some of the important sounds in Zelda come out of the controller instead of the TV speakers.....and that little speaker in the controller is loud.

If the games continue to utilize the controller in a good way, then Nintendo has hit a grand slam with the Wii.

I just downloaded Bonks Adventure. I haven't played this game in YEARS! Great fun.

DW

gunz
12-01-2006, 02:32
Well, I made the decision and on the night before the launch of the Wii my wife and I froze our (you know whats) off standing in line at Toys R Us to get a Wii.

I couldn't be happier! I love the system. It is a nice contrast to the 360. It really is a totally new experience in gaming. It is almost like being in those motion capture video games in your own home. Out of the few people who have tried it two of them were sore the next day! I really enjoy the system. You can definately tell the power is not equivalent to the 360's, however Nintendo definately came through with a very innovative new method of video gaming. Everyon I know into games is planning on getting one. Mind you none of these people were getting one when I originally told them about it last year. I totally agree that Nintendo has the makings of a grandslam on their hands!:banana: :banana:

Hickeroar
12-01-2006, 10:58
I've already got a 360.

Given the choice, I'd take the wii over the PS3 in a heartbeat, even if the prices were the same. The PS3 is currently plagued with technical glitches and plenty of other incentives not to purchase it. The Wii is fresh and new, and has LOADS of games (past and present) to choose from.

I already read that in order to break even on the systems (because of the money they're losing on every one sold (about 200-250 bucks)) they have to sell 30+ games for every console sold. Sony has just made a lot of blunders with this one. I'm going to wait literally a couple years before I even think about the PS3...

Pug Puppy
11-09-2007, 20:11
I love my PS3, but I had to get a Philips RF Modulator; for it to work with my analog tv. Also, you will need a memory card adapter save PS1 &PS2 games to a PS3.

If you can invest the time in it, get the PS3, otherwise; get the Wii.

Scottsdale Thug
11-12-2007, 19:43
I love my 360!

Now between the Wii and the PS3
http://www.fayerwayer.com/2006/06/wii_vs_PlayStation3-1.jpg
I work in the industry and I will only recommend the PS3 for three reasons
If you are a big fan of RPGs and other games that are exclusive to the Playstation
You like Blu-Ray. You can get both a Blu-Ray player and video game system for the same price of a stand alone Blu-Ray player. (Personally I think HD-DVD has already won the battle. Same reason as the VHS/Beta =Adu1t Films)
You need a $600 paperweightThe Wii is a little harder to find (not so much now) but for good reason.
Sure their demographic may be a younger crowd but that doesn't mean it's not fun.

At first I was skeptical about the Wii-mote and how it would work, but the way they integrated the unconventional controller into the gameplay is really an experience. The Wii will make you get up and be a part of the game.

With the downloadable library of NES, Super NES, and other Nintendo games (I think it is worth it just for Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt alone) then you add all the new titles like Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Legend of Zelda, and the mini/party games WarioWare and Wii Sports/Play it should be a "no-brainer"

I'd go with the
http://re3.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/3472813582

http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/Scottsdale+Thug.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/Scottsdale+Thug)

insanity.
11-13-2007, 02:28
Although the some Wii games are "cartoonish", its the best system out there by farrrrrr. FPS are so fun since you actually get to aim. Right now I am playing tiger woods 08 and damn its cool actually swinging!

malkore
11-14-2007, 17:31
all my gamer buddies have a Wii and not a PS3. Wii lets you download old games to play too.
My mother in law got stuck with one off ebay cuz my brother in law already bought one for his kids...so the wife and I are gonna take it as our christmas gift :)

jason10mm
11-26-2007, 08:50
Well, I now have all three. Can't really recommend any one other the others other to say that the PS3 is still lacking in enough exclusive titles to really justify it. Of course that is unless you dip into the extensive PS2 library. Sounds like Sony is phasing out PS3s with ANY type of back-compatibility so that might not be an option once the current 60 and 80 gig models sell-out. Of course by then there will be a lot more PS3 exclusives.

Anyway, I'd lump the 360 and PS3 in one camp, and the Wii in another. Right now the wii-360 combo gives access to the widest range of games, the Ps3 is still sidelined, though nice to have for the few exclusives that are decent.