Alaska Army Bases [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Army Bases


STORMIN29
11-15-2006, 18:22
Is there a newly constructed base in Alaska? My son told me that he will be deployed to a newly constructed base in Alaska after his training. Thanks for the help.

FDC
11-15-2006, 19:18
Not that I know of. They are expanding a couple of bases.

What is your son's MOS? Does he think he's going to jump out of planes, or ride in armored vehicles? The answers to those questions GREATLY influence what base he'll be stationed at.

ETA: it also will let us know if he's going to Alaska, or somplace a little warmer.

STORMIN29
11-15-2006, 19:47
Sorry for being so vague, but all I know is that he is at Ft. Benning for infantry training. I am not sure what other training plans he has in store. I am very new to all of the military way of life.

FDC
11-15-2006, 20:10
Originally posted by STORMIN29
Sorry for being so vague, but all I know is that he is at Ft. Benning for infantry training. I am not sure what other training plans he has in store. I am very new to all of the military way of life.

As an infantryman, he's either going to Wainwright or Richardson. If he's planning on falling out of planes, he'll go to Ft Richardson(and probably other places from there). If he's planning on rolling around in armored vehicles, he'll go to Wainwright(they will be home for a while). I would personally prefer Fort Richardson. Did he get any options in his contract(airborne training, etc)?

Of course, he could end up at Fort Greely, but I have no clue what he'd do there. We do have a guy from Alaska on the board, he'll be able to shed some more light on the subject.

Snowman92D
12-10-2006, 09:17
My step-son is a newly-minted cannon-cocker fresh out of AIT at Ft. Sill. He's headed for Wainwright on 19 December. He's hearing all the rumors about going to the sandbox within a year, but at this point I don't think anyone knows for sure.

FDC
12-10-2006, 11:18
Originally posted by Snowman92D
My step-son is a newly-minted cannon-cocker fresh out of AIT at Ft. Sill. He's headed for Wainwright on 19 December. He's hearing all the rumors about going to the sandbox within a year, but at this point I don't think anyone knows for sure.

4/11 from Wainwright are returning from the box now.

GlocknAK
12-12-2006, 18:08
They have Strykers on Richardson as well as Wainright. Also have a bunch of new barracks and a new training site on Richardson. Might have been what he meant.

GlocknAK
12-12-2006, 18:32
They have Strykers on Richardson as well as Wainright. Also have a bunch of new barracks and a new training site on Richardson. Might have been what he meant.

STORMIN29
12-18-2006, 19:18
My son is now home on Christmas leave for a few weeks. He is going to Fort Richardson, 172nd Stryker Brigade. Can't wait until some visitation to combine with a hunting/fishing trip. Thanks for all of the information from everyone.

DrArmament
02-08-2007, 18:15
i loved alaska at wainwright on the armament mst.

eisman
02-09-2007, 00:17
Ft Richardson is okay when the sun is up, but sucks bad in the winter. Bad smog (really!).

Fish the Cheena! There's good hunting right off post, everywhere!

Denali is 3-4 hours away West, the Arctic Circle 2 hrs North.

Have him say hello to the gang at the Dog!

I highly advise him at sign up for at least one class a symester at UA. It's the best collection of women short of Seattle.

AKJD
02-13-2007, 22:46
Originally posted by eisman
Ft Richardson is okay when the sun is up, but sucks bad in the winter. Bad smog (really!).

Fish the Cheena! There's good hunting right off post, everywhere!

Denali is 3-4 hours away West, the Arctic Circle 2 hrs North.

Have him say hello to the gang at the Dog!

I highly advise him at sign up for at least one class a symester at UA. It's the best collection of women short of Seattle.


I think your're talking about Wainwright there. Rich is in Anchorage, Wainwright is in Faribanks.

hoosier#17
04-25-2007, 17:35
Is that the Howlin Dog saloon? Or the Greyhound? Or are either of these still around?? Thundering herd SIR!!!! B1/17:thumbsup: