Question about grunts pay [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about grunts pay

ghent
11-16-2006, 14:25
If I don't make the cut during the current round of police try outs in my local town I'm considering joing the Corp to help make me a more attractive candidate for them. My one worry about this is whether or not the basic grunts pay will be enough to support my wife while I'm off fighting a war. I considered asking this question of my local recruiter, but I trust anything a recruiter tells me almost as far as I can throw him (I know it's their job to get me to join at just about any cost, and don't hold it against them, I'm just not gonna take their word for anything I don't get in writing). I found the pay scale on the marines website
(http://www.dod.mil/dfas/militarypay/newinformation/WebPayTableVersion2006updated.pdf)
and from what I'm reading I guess the basic recruite salary is a little better than a grand a month (that's acceptable for me ) but wanted to confirm my findings. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

RM
11-16-2006, 19:14
Basic pay is correct, married members receive a Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) offset which is location dependant. I believe that starts at either your first PDS or they give you type 2 BAH while at recruit training, but I haven't read the order in a while so I cannot remember. Following training, and you are not in a field training status, than you get ComRats (commuted rations, also know as Basic Allowance for Subsistence). BAH and Comrats are tax free, however you loose BAH if you live in Government Quarters with your spouse and Comrats while in the field for training.

If you deploy to a combat zone you draw the following tax free allowances Hazard Pay (225 a month), Family Separation Allowance (I believe it it is 250) once you are away for 30 days and hardship pay (it was 150). More important all your pay becomes tax free and if you get any bonuses awarded during that period those are tax free also.

urbanjunglist
11-16-2006, 21:57
Google it, you find all that stuff online.

Ignition
11-16-2006, 23:03
little over a grand a month, with a 50/50 chance of being lance before deployment(depends on alot of factors)

then you add in seperations pay and the extras from marriage it helps but still, you dont do it for the money.

you do it for the Corps

urbanjunglist
11-17-2006, 07:59
http://www.dod.mil/dfas/militarypay/newinformation/WebPayTableVersion2006updated.pdf

ghent
11-19-2006, 21:24
Thanks for all the info. Definately not in it for the money (notice my first choice of career is police office, so huge salaries aren't my kind of thing). I just need to be 100% sure my wife isn't gonna have the bank come looking to reposess the car while I'm off serving my country.

tibis3383
11-22-2006, 18:39
I had many friends with a wife and 3 or 4 kids and they seemed to make ends meet. I promise that you will not get rich but it is enough to pay the bills. And yes, deploying to a combat zone will give you a noticeable increase in pay. And if you want to live on base or in any government housing you will lose your BAH but ALL utilities are paid and rent is free. I hope this helps.

Semper Fi
Tim

Ignition
11-22-2006, 20:38
actually with the military switching to privatized housing if you live on base which has been privatized you will still receive BAH but then will have to pay utilies coming 2007.

BRAC commission snuck this one in on ppl

RM
11-22-2006, 21:03
Originally posted by Ignition
actually with the military switching to privatized housing if you live on base which has been privatized you will still receive BAH but then will have to pay utilies coming 2007.

BRAC commission snuck this one in on ppl

I think it might depend on which base you are living on and what company runs it. I know the base I am at, your BAH goes to the contractors via allotment.

GlockX35
11-25-2006, 00:28
You are worried about supporting your wife financially yet you are thinking about being a grunt? Might as well buy yourself a ticket to Baghdad. Kind of hard to support your wife if your dead. Go to a community college and get an associates in whateve it is cops get associates in. better yet go to college and get a Bachelors. The Marine Corps is not the place for married people. When I went in in 1977 it was very unusual for anyone below the rank of Sgt to be married and unheard of for people coming in to be married. By the time I got out in 1990 it was much more common but was a pain in the ass.

flak
12-08-2006, 00:21
It's pretty family friendly now(as much as can be expected). My wife and I received BAH and family seperation plus E-2 pay throughout my training (approx 6 months). After taxes n' whatnot it comes out to somewhere around $1200 semi-monthly. I shipped to boot Jan 22, 2006, so my numbers are pretty new.

A whole lot of guys at my reserve unit are police officers ...several city police and a couple sheriffs. It was kinda funny, right before the Ball, they were giving good run downs on DUI fees and charges. Back on subject, one nice thing about the reserves is they network really well. If you're looking for a criminal justice job, they will get you the contacts.

Marine8541
12-08-2006, 18:53
Originally posted by flak
It's pretty family friendly now(as much as can be expected).

I have never heard a USMC FMF grunt (and that's what the op is looking to become) say that the Corps is family friendly. My first over seas deployment was to Lebanon and when I left as a PFC with a new born baby over 18 months later I had a toddler who could walk and was starting to talk. My last three nine months in I spent 22 months (two deployments) in Iraq and the rest on convolesent leave in a hospitail 300 plus miles from my family because the Naval Hospitail at Lejune was full. As a First Sgt my biggest PIA were E3 and below who were married. I did it and surrvived but it was because of the woman that I married not me. The mission always comes first and welfare of the troops is a distant second, wives and kids are the last thing on the FMF's list. This isn't a cry baby rant it's just the truth, if you're looking for a family friendly life become a PE teacher or some thing where you know you'll be home every night not a grunt.

RM
12-08-2006, 19:30
Marine8541

You are a 9999?

flak
12-08-2006, 22:36
Originally posted by Marine8541
I have never heard a USMC FMF grunt (and that's what the op is looking to become) say that the Corps is family friendly. My first over seas deployment was to Lebanon and when I left as a PFC with a new born baby over 18 months later I had a toddler who could walk and was starting to talk. My last three nine months in I spent 22 months (two deployments) in Iraq and the rest on convolesent leave in a hospitail 300 plus miles from my family because the Naval Hospitail at Lejune was full. As a First Sgt my biggest PIA were E3 and below who were married. I did it and surrvived but it was because of the woman that I married not me. The mission always comes first and welfare of the troops is a distant second, wives and kids are the last thing on the FMF's list. This isn't a cry baby rant it's just the truth, if you're looking for a family friendly life become a PE teacher or some thing where you know you'll be home every night not a grunt.

By family friendly, I only mean what can be expected in a job you can get deployed. When my wife and I discussed me joining, we decided that it was far more likely that I would get killed driving down the highway than killed in action. We also had been married long enough to be pretty stable, so my absence, while stressful, wasn't threatening to our relationship.

Then again, I'm a reservist and POG...

Marine8541
12-09-2006, 00:25
Originally posted by RM
Marine8541

You are a 9999?

Was I'm out now. It honestly was the worst post that I ever held as both a First Sgt at Company level and then acting Sgt Maj at BLT level. I actually completed my career course and the warfighting skills program as a Gunny. In my younger days I should have taken a B billett of Recruiter, MSG, or DI because I would have been able to complete the PME without the formal residency schooling but it all worked out. My only regret was that I should have stayed with STA or SS instructor but when they pulled the stop loss I didn't really have a choice because we lost so mant E-8s and E-9s at once and I was looking at doing 30 (I did 22) but a RPG and a lung that keeps filling with fluid and leading to persistant pneumonia cut my plans short. Honestly the only thing I would have changed about it all was taken a better B billet MOS but if that's my only regret then it was all good. :supergrin:

RM
12-09-2006, 07:35
I know allot of 9999s say that. Personally, if I had to put F or M on my fitrep I think I would put M.

Kingslayer
12-26-2006, 13:30
The Corps isn't really family friendly for ANY combat MOS. It's probably worse for those in the 1833 field than the 03 field. There's a lot fewer amtracks than there are grunts so we deployed often.

When I got out of Schools Bn., and got to my first platoon at Lejeune, we shipped out on float about a month after I got there. Then when I came back, I was send to another platoon, and guess what, they were spooling up for a float too. It was pretty sad, I got out after 8 years and had more sea-time than some retired Navy personnel.

And during wartime, if you're an 1833, you're going. Period.