Dark Sun Surplus good experience [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dark Sun Surplus good experience

ChuteTheMall
11-20-2006, 09:45
I know it's not everybody's favorite dealer for a variety of reasons, but on Saturday morning I returned to the Great American Gunshow in Chantilly to buy a WASR-AK.

Dark Sun had a bunch at $319.99 and only two at $339.99 (post ban, loaded with accessories, and with threaded slant brake). I compared both, checked the sight alignments, picked one and said I'd buy it.

David Jarrett (also known as Ponytail) said OK, but started pulling out more boxes from under the table, inspecting each one for sight alignment, showing me each one from back stock, looking for the one with the best sight alignment. This was all on his initiative, I didn't ask if they had any more stock, and didn't ask him which one was better. After we checked all of them (they had 6, not just the 2 on top of the display) it turned out that the one I picked was the best, but none seemed bad. Then he turned over the paperwork and purchasing over to the girls and went back to other customers as it was getting crowded.

On this occasion, he went out of his way to provide excellent service to me, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Now I need time to find out how this AK shoots ....:supergrin:

sigpro357
11-23-2006, 17:51
They have always been nice to me. I don't pick up every gun on their table, and try to dry fire it etc. I think they are picky about what type of people they deal with also. If you know what I mean. However he's always been really nice to me.

Auburn
11-23-2006, 20:04
No problems for me either. But I have seen him get a little short with people, usually when their booth is mobbed.

RVAJoe
11-28-2006, 13:56
I've bought from Dave on several ocasions (at his office and at the shows) and always had good service - I mean they don't kiss your ass like a car or mattress salesman but then again they have the best prices around. That's why you go to Dark Sun, they are cheap and fair. They deal in volume and that's why the table is always packed.

I give them a thumbs up. I know some folks don't like them but really if you need customer service you can get it, you just have to pay more for the same gun.

Catbird
11-28-2006, 16:07
Ponytail even offered me a piece of his wife's (girlfriend ?) homemade peanutbutter fudge at the last Dale City show. I was waiting for Rod Serling from the Twilight Zone to pop out and grab me at that point.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/scan0003.jpg

vafish
11-29-2006, 07:12
Originally posted by Catbird
Ponytail even offered me a piece of his wife's (girlfriend ?).....

I got that far into your post and had to start reading it over again.

:rofl:

Catbird
11-29-2006, 07:33
I know I shouldn't judge...

She, previously, had impressed me as quiet, sweet and innocent-looking -- quite different from Ponytail. The last time I saw her, she was sporting a brand new tattoo of something-or-other on her forearm and... Oh, well - it's none of my business - nevermind!

SELFDEFENSE
12-05-2006, 18:24
I have bought a bunch of things from them without problems

watsoncb
01-03-2007, 18:30
I bought a S&W semi from him at the last gun show (November?) and he was outstanding. His significant other's tattoo looks to be a dragon that starts hmmm goes around and around and ends hmmmmm.

I thought darn, that had to hurt. :shocked:

I'm heading back this weekend to Chantilly for the January gun show. There is a Mdl 20 calling out "buy me" "buy me" !

Happy New Year....

Sporwick
01-09-2007, 08:14
Picked up my M&P9c through him at a cheaper price than anyone else at the show. Transaction was easy.

Catbird
01-09-2007, 08:30
Originally posted by Sporwick
Picked up my M&P9c through him ...
Do you mind disclosing what their M&P price was?

Sporwick
01-09-2007, 08:38
$449

Trader Jerry was the only other dealer at the show that had the M&P9c and he wanted $499 and refused to match.

pjva04
01-15-2007, 04:36
Good experience with Dark Sun, as well. Got a G19 for $479 ($505 after Uncle Sam got his piece), and got to talk to them a bit. I don't know who is who, but everyone there was amicable. I did watch him have to deal with a ...ahem...ditz, and explain to her she couldn't come in and pay for and pick up a gun her mother had ordered from him. I thought under the circumstances he was incredibly patient while still maintaining his position. I might browse other tables, but due to the prices and service I received, I would probably end up purchasing from Dark Sun.

mallcop
02-09-2007, 15:41
I have dealt with them on a few occasions and all went well. The Ponytail even let me finger his CCW Walther after noticing it. I really wonder if rude customers are dealt with in an appropriate manor that causes all the chin music about them?

SouthpawShootr
02-11-2007, 20:40
They're very busy, but if you can catch them when they're not, they are quite friendly. The blond headed guy, probably referred to as pontail, really knows his surplus rifles. Talked to my father at length about them once.

I remember one gunshow they must have had 100 people waiting on VASP approval from on-site techs. Other dealers were having the same problem but those didn't do the same volume as Dark Sun. Something wrong with the computers. One of them tried calling paperwork in and got through. They then retrieved all their pending paperwork, called each one in, and got their customers their guns. Now, most of the time, the young woman calls everything in. Only show I don't see this now is in the Hampton Convention Center. Lots of people have problems with transmission in that place. Takes one of them off the line and makes the other 2-3 have less time with each customer. I still think they do pretty good. I wouldn't mind visiting their shop when I'm up in Richmond sometime.

Catbird
02-12-2007, 05:23
I remember my first bad experience with them a few years ago. My wife accompanied me to a gunshow and we were looking at various Dark Sun guns. After she and I had fondled some and discussed them, I decided to buy one. Ponytail refused to sell me the gun because he accused me of attempting to make an illegal straw purchase. I tried to convince him that the gun was for me (wife not into guns), but he came close to calling me a liar. I was definitely not very happy that day. :steamed:

pjva04
02-12-2007, 05:34
I wouldn't mind visiting their shop when I'm up in Richmond sometime.

I wasn't aware they had a shop in Richmond...does anyone know where it is located?

mallcop
02-12-2007, 05:38
Originally posted by pjva04
I wasn't aware they had a shop in Richmond...does anyone know where it is located?

I googled the address one time and it appears to be in a residential area. I wanted to visit myself. I have been told that it is not a store front per say, but a business at home.

pjva04
02-12-2007, 05:57
I guess I can call them and ask. I will post here after I do.

RVAJoe
02-12-2007, 07:46
My understanding is that it is best to call after 10:30.

Catbird
02-12-2007, 10:07
After my bad experience (posted above), I have been to their "office" which is in the basement of one of their homes several times.

pjva04
02-12-2007, 12:45
Originally posted by Catbird
After my bad experience (posted above), I have been to their "office" which is in the basement of one of their homes several times.

Were your subsequent visits more amicable? What kind of selection did they have on hand (esp. used guns)? I can't seem to find their card, can someone post their Phone# please?

Catbird
02-12-2007, 16:15
Here ya go:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/scan0003.jpg

Yes, subsequent contacts were better because, at the next gunshow, I told the other guy (Rod Hodge) somewhat loudly in front of a few other customers what had happened and that I didn't appreciate being treated like a criminal. Because he (not Ponytail) apologized, I let it go. I see Ponytail with other customers from time-to-time and observe him attempting to intimidate them with his nasty know-it-all manner. I refuse to be intimated, therefore we clash. I only deal with Rod Hodge, now.

They definitely have the very best prices around, so I just "bite my tongue" and try to overlook PT's rude behavior.

I have directions to their house in my truck - I'll try to find later and post. IIRC, they're in a residential area off of Midlothian Turnpike. I can get there - I just can't recall the names of the various streets.

pjva04
02-12-2007, 17:56
Catbird...you're the man. Thanks!

mallcop
02-13-2007, 09:18
Do they have any K-31's at there "office"?

HeyUvaVT
05-07-2007, 20:56
Dredging up an old thread..

I purchased a G21 from David ("ponytail") yesterday at his office...he is a very good friend of one of my best friends and therefore maybe I was treated differently but my dealing with him was very professional and very friendly and I would not hesitate to buy from him again...even hung out with him at his house for the afternoon...

For those of you wanting to visit their shop you would be better served to just catch them at a show because it is literally just an office thats connected to a two car garage..they dont have a retail front

iiibbb
05-08-2007, 14:10
I have always said Dark Sun is fair. Even though the guy is rude. I've seen him make right a puchase that a friend of mine made when he got a used gun with a cracked frame.... so on that basis alone I consider him to at least be honorable.

I've seen people get pissed because he's a stickler for IDs and laws and such... but that's his business and he has every right considering the stunts Bloomberg is playing. You can't be too careful.

But he has been pretty rude to me when I've asked legitimate questions about stuff so, if he had what I wanted, I probably wouldn't hesitate buying from him, but I would sure check everywhere else first.

SouthpawShootr
05-08-2007, 15:34
Originally posted by iiibbb
I've seen people get pissed because he's a stickler for IDs and laws and such... but that's his business and he has every right considering the stunts Bloomberg is playing. You can't be too careful.

Can't blame him for that. Not only his business, but his own freedom is at stake if he knowingly violates the law.

I know of another dealer in an entirely different part of the state who had a very good business, but was a little lax on the ID stuff. VASP eventually caught him and shut him down. He ended up pleading to a couple felonies. Got a suspended jail sentence. To my knowledge he was never accused of selling guns to a disqualified individual. Just didn't follow the letter of the law. So I fully understand dealers being picky about papaerwork, IDs, and other details.

watsoncb
05-08-2007, 16:27
I have bought from Dark Sun Surplus at Chantilly Gun Shows. I found David (and his team) to be honest and willing to make a fair deal. I was looking for a Glock 39 and Dave took the time to check his stock (he could have told me to piss off) and when he did not have one, offer to order me one at a great price. :thumbsup:

If I were in his shoes, I likely would have a similar attitude. I cannot imagine working a gun show with all of those firearms on display and so many individuals pawing them.

I'd go nutso. :upeyes: