Not happy with cantilever mount [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with cantilever mount

Z34Lee
11-20-2006, 16:01
I'm more of a bow hunter, but I'll be taking the shotgun out for some deer hunting this weekend. In Indiana rifles are not allowed. I have a Remington 1187 with a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. I'm not happy with this setup though, and I'm looking for some solutions. The problem is that the scope and mount assembly flex. It seems to go back to the same spot, but I think that it flexes way too easily and any movement or bending would throw my scope out of alignment. I've thought about stiffening up the rear by running a bolt through the weaver mount, threaded into the receiver with a shim in between to two. While that would keep it solid, I'm not too keen on drilling and tapping my receiver. I would also have to dismount the scope every time I wanted to swap barrels in order to get to the screw. At more than $2 a slug that would get pricey to re-sight.

Another option seems to be the B-square mounts. They mount to the pins which keep the trigger assembly mounted to the receiver. This looks more stable. Any other suggestions?

noway
11-20-2006, 16:19
if your having an cantilever mount flexing I don't think a B-square would be any stronger.NOT sure on what mount your using but other means would be be to buy an universal mount blade and weld it on to an existing barrel. You have to build a weld jig, use plenty of heat stop and I would trust it with an shop that have done this before ( hint don't go to john doe down the block )

A good cantilever mount will NOT flex, can be zeroed in and the barrel w/scope removed and stored and used another day/week/year/decade later and still hold it's zero with an quality scope.

1> are you sure it's the mount ?

2> did you check/recheck/triplecheck scope screws, and the scope itself

I know it seems like a stupid question but I've spent over 60 dollars in shells chasing an floating zero and came up to the conclusion the scope was faulty. Change the scope and never had a problem since. I've hunted with this hasting combo for at least going back 12years and speaking of the facts it killed it's first deer in IND back around 1995. Still holds the same zero and will laid down remington sabot/slugs off a wrapped towel into 3-4" @ 100yards.

Z34Lee
11-20-2006, 16:25
It's a stock Remington cantilever rifled barrel. The mount itself is not loose, but I can easily push down on the rear of the scope and move the whole assembly around. It should be sighted in now, so I'd hate to start over from scratch re-sighting but I don't like that it moves so easily. The B-square appeared to be more rigid but that may not be the case either. Even if it is, that means starting over also.

noway
11-20-2006, 17:27
I would return that bbl if you could. Noway ( look my screenz name ) should you push on the mount and move the mount w/scope.

Repeat noway.

Here's my 2 cantilever bbl configure

1 hasting ( unounted ) and 1 remingtom SB for turkey ( mounted on the 870 )

I find it hard to see an bbl mount being that loose on deflexing.

noway
11-20-2006, 17:28
and

Z34Lee
11-20-2006, 19:32
Well I went to Gander Mountain to check a few things out. ALL the Remington cantilever barrels flex like that. Both of the employees were assertive in saying that it always went back in place. I guess I'll let it be for now since I don't really feel like an extensive sighting in process.