Permit renewal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Permit renewal

VABOB
11-21-2006, 12:20
My permit expires in February 2007 and I live in Chesapeake, what is the process for renewal?

Thanks!

alien-Glocker
11-21-2006, 18:17
I just did my renewal in Fairfax County last week.

The process is the same as the original except that you add in three copies of your existing CHP,or at least thats what Fairfax requires..

You can down load the application fromthe Virginia State ploce web site.

Link: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/FormsPublications.shtm#Firearms

No SSN required. There may some other localnits, check over at

www.packing.org under Virginia.

Other than that, $50 and you’re good to go.

vafish
11-21-2006, 21:09
Originally posted by alien-Glocker
I just did my renewal in Fairfax County last week.

How long did it take?

I'm up for renewal shortly.

gmg-g20
11-21-2006, 21:54
+1 to what alien-Glocker said... just sent my renewal in week before last. vafish, they told me to expect 45 days, but should be sooner (hopefully).Has anyone heard anything about the Lifetime CHP for VA? I think I saw on Packing.org something about they might start it in June or July next year. I asked the court clerk and she looked at me like :shocked: And then told me they'd probably find out the week before they did it.

alien-Glocker
11-22-2006, 04:37
The lifetime CHP still requires funding. It is expected that the bills will introduced during the upcoming 2007 General Assembly. VCDL will be watching closely I'm sure.

They did not specify how much time it will take, I suspect that 45-days is the stock answer they have been directed to say. This way they are with in the law and cause no problem.
s.

vafish
11-26-2006, 22:26
I was hoping you'd got it back already and could tell me how long they actually took.

Mine expires in less than 45 days and I haven't had a chance to get down to the court house.

May have to take up open carrying for a while.

ottobon100
11-27-2006, 19:08
Originally posted by VABOB
My permit expires in February 2007 and I live in Chesapeake, what is the process for renewal?

Thanks! Did mine in July. Expect it to take a few days over the 45 day minimum requirement. Kind of the city's way of telling you that they are in charge and not you and they don't really have to follow a state law. Mine took 47 days. At 45 days I called to see what was going on, how I make a complaint since they were not in compliance with state law, and if I could come down to their office and pick up the complaint form. If other places in the state can do it in a week this is ridiculous. Everyone was nice about it, including myself when I talked with them but this was terrible service from our fair (?) city.

alien-Glocker
11-28-2006, 06:00
Exercise your rights as a Commonwealth firearms owner. The law says 45-days and provides you with the following:

From the Virginia State Police website.

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified.

Link: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

Truckee
11-28-2006, 10:17
Originally posted by vafish
I was hoping you'd got it back already and could tell me how long they actually took.

Mine expires in less than 45 days and I haven't had a chance to get down to the court house.

May have to take up open carrying for a while.

Hey fish,

I'm sure you know this... but don't let your current expire. They'll treat you like a new applicant if you do.

If you think that you'll run too tight on time, the Clerk can issue a temporary if they will do so (you're in NOVA, so maybe not).

If not, get a copy of your renewal application and carry it. I don't know any officers that would gig you in this situation... the guys I know would let you slide. And/but here again, you're in NOVA!

sigpro357
11-28-2006, 17:12
Here is a question for you. Lets say your permit expires like mine in April 2007. You fill out the renewal and pay. Then your permit shows an expiration of April 2012. If the lifetime goes in. Will all those permits expiring after the lifetime date become lifetime permits also. Or are they only good until the date listed on the permit.

Even if the permits with experation become lifetime. You would still need a new permit due to having to present it in other states.

I don't know why they need funding anyway. Shouldn't they just be able to allow all current permits to run the course, and every new issued or renewal would state lifetime on it???????

vafish
11-29-2006, 08:11
Originally posted by sigpro357
Here is a question for you. Lets say your permit expires like mine in April 2007. You fill out the renewal and pay. Then your permit shows an expiration of April 2012. If the lifetime goes in. Will all those permits expiring after the lifetime date become lifetime permits also. Or are they only good until the date listed on the permit.

Even if the permits with experation become lifetime. You would still need a new permit due to having to present it in other states.

I don't know why they need funding anyway. Shouldn't they just be able to allow all current permits to run the course, and every new issued or renewal would state lifetime on it???????

Good question,

I don't think anyone in authority has thought it out that far ahead yet.

Truckee,

I put in the renewal form yesterday at the court house. The nice lady at the desk said it would probably be after the new year when I receive my permit.

Doesn't make any sense to me, My address hasn't changed since I last got my permit. All they should have to do is run a NIC check and see that I have no arrests or outstanding warrants and issue the new permit. There is no reason they could not have done it while I waited there, other than they don't want to.

Truckee
11-29-2006, 10:06
fish,

Bureaucracy in all its glory... NOTHING is allowed to be simple common sense. You should be running the system... you've got my vote.

sigpro357,

I have to hope that someone has given thought to this lifetime CHP deal. However, if they have, they aren't tellin' us about it.

Securing "funding," as I understand things, has to do with annual NCIC checks on permit holders. This is going to be charged with the VSP and they'll require a budget item to pay for it.

I read somewhere here on GOTOD, where a member ran the numbers. Using the average cost of administering our current permit system, the opinion was that the Lifetime CHP will save money.

Fish, did you write this?

gmg-g20
11-29-2006, 11:21
Hey fish, did you have to do your fingerprints again? They made me do mine and I was like WTF? If I had done anything that wouldn't allow me to renew my permit they would definitely know about it already since they had my prints to start with (even the deputy that did them agreed that this was stupid). Unless they just wanted to play with their new fingerprint computer or something.:upeyes:

vafish
11-29-2006, 13:46
I'm in Fairfax County and believe it or not, as antigun as Fairfax is, they do not require fingerprints. ( I think someone figured out it cost them more money to do)

Truckee,

Wasn't me that figured out it was cheaper to issure a lifetime permit.

Considering how fast the VASP act on non-resident permit requests, I'd rather have the VASP handling resident permits than the individual counties. No reason a resident couldn't mail in their permit application just like a non-resident does.

But again I'm trying to be reasonable and make sense.

Truckee
11-29-2006, 17:07
Originally posted by gmg-g20
Hey fish, did you have to do your fingerprints again? They made me do mine and I was like WTF? If I had done anything that wouldn't allow me to renew my permit they would definitely know about it already since they had my prints to start with (even the deputy that did them agreed that this was stupid). Unless they just wanted to play with their new fingerprint computer or something.:upeyes:

gmg,

If you're a renewal, the locality -cannot- require fingerprints again. Providing that you've not changed jurisdiction and possibly other technicalities that are not specified in the Code.

Code of Virginia (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.3)

ottobon100
11-29-2006, 20:15
Originally posted by Truckee
gmg,

If you're a renewal, the locality -cannot- require fingerprints again. Providing that you've not changed jurisdiction and possibly other technicalities that are not specified in the Code.

Code of Virginia (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.3) Didn't know this. Mine was a renewal and Chesapeake required me to be fingerprinted again. No changes in jurisdiction, etc.. Maybe they want you to really get your money's worth for the $50.00!

Truckee
11-29-2006, 21:56
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Truckee
gmg,

Code of Virginia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by ottobon100
Didn't know this. Mine was a renewal and Chesapeake required me to be fingerprinted again. No changes in jurisdiction, etc.. Maybe they want you to really get your money's worth for the $50.00!

Good evening ottobon,

Contact Philip Van Cleave VCDL email (http://www.vcdl.org/static/officers.html) and let him know you suffered this consequence.

IIRC, I read VCDL addressed Chesapeake on this issue and got it straight. Notify Mr. Van Cleave with your details. He will let you know the deal.

Requiring prints to renew is not a local option. For them to do so is a violation of the cited Code.

You could have, can, refuse to comply. Good advice, however, is for you to go forth armed with the Code section... you'll probably have to prove it to the Clerks.

If you live within our great Commonwealth, poking around the VCDL Site (http://www.vcdl.org) is good medicine.

gmg-g20
11-30-2006, 17:12
Truckee, thanks for the code and the heads up. I'll print the code section out and give it to the clerk when I pick my permit up (after they hand it over of course:supergrin: ) I thought something was a little screwy about all that. Definitely joining the VCDL asap!!:thumbsup:

Truckee
11-30-2006, 20:27
Truckee, thanks for the code and the heads up. I'll print the code section out and give it to the clerk when I pick my permit up (after they hand it over of course:supergrin: ) I thought something was a little screwy about all that. Definitely joining the VCDL asap!!:thumbsup:

Glad to help. Hope you get it straightened out. LOL, yeah, believe I'd wait to stir the poo -after- getting my permit too.

VCDL is a good watchdog and seems to contain motivated people. Well worth the $15 to aid its efforts and show state legislators that -we- can, and do, assemble.

p.s. Clarksville... down at Buggs? or another one?

gmg-g20
11-30-2006, 20:44
Truckee, yeah I'm down at Bugg's Island/Kerr Reservoir. I e-mailed Philip as well and he already got back to me and wanted the phone # to the clerk's office to let them know what's up:thumbsup: I think the poo is about to be stirred...:animlol: Definitely sending them my 15 bucks next week!!!

Truckee
12-03-2006, 16:05
Truckee, yeah I'm down at Bugg's Island/Kerr Reservoir. I e-mailed Philip as well and he already got back to me and wanted the phone # to the clerk's office to let them know what's up:thumbsup: I think the poo is about to be stirred...:animlol: Definitely sending them my 15 bucks next week!!!

Good deal gmg,

I always like to hear that Poo is stirred on deserving bureaucracy. Too happy to help.

Glad that you notified VCDL... and IMO, VCDL = $15 well spent for a fine watchdog.

I used to do some work in S.E. VA. When I had to pass through Clarksville, my brother would pack up a tent and the speed boat to meet me there and spend some time on the lake. Much fun had there! Nice area, but we didn't care much for those feeding skeetos... ever seen an intoxicated skeeter gmg? :supergrin:

Be safe

gmg-g20
12-03-2006, 18:52
Truckee, when we're catfishin' behind the house here there ain't a sober skeeter for miles!!:supergrin: If you ever get down this way let me know, maybe we could do a little fishin (or contribute to mosquito alcoholism!!). Oh, and I did join the VCDL yesterday at the gun show in Richmond. Probably the best 15 bucks I've spent this year:thumbsup:

VABOB
12-04-2006, 17:27
It was painless. Went into the Clerk's Office and filled out the Application. Took about 10 minutes and then paid the $50. Went across the street to the PD and they took my fingerprints.

Whole process took 10 minutes or less at each building.

ottobon100
12-05-2006, 06:21
It was painless. Went into the Clerk's Office and filled out the Application. Took about 10 minutes and then paid the $50. Went across the street to the PD and they took my fingerprints.

Whole process took 10 minutes or less at each building. Painless? As a renewal they should NOT have required fingerprints! See Truckee's Nov 30 post above. Did the same thing to me.

VABOB
12-05-2006, 10:56
Painless? As a renewal they should NOT have required fingerprints! See Truckee's Nov 30 post above. Did the same thing to me.

Yeah, I read the post and as I said, it was painless.

Truckee
12-07-2006, 12:42
quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Painless? As a renewal they should NOT have required fingerprints! See Truckee's Nov 30 post above. Did the same thing to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I read the post and as I said, it was painless.

IMO, I feel it paramount that we -as lawful citizens- keep our government(s) in line... even when, and probably especially so, making a stand is an inconvenience to one's self. Look around the world, and in our back yards, governments unchecked and allowed to run amok, do.

Fingerprinting for renewal may seem a fleeting issue, and maybe it specifically is, but it is unnecessary and ILLEGAL. Therefore, and particularly under a "Commonwealth" structure, non-compliance with protest is the responsibility and duty of good citizens.

I ask all persons of our great nation to mandate that the government conduct itself according to "our" law. I'm sorry if it's "easier" to just comply with unlawful government deeds. Our country was founded on such "We The People" principles. We must never forget "why" or stand the definite fate of losing.

The Brits and Aussies once thought that trivial firearm legislation was of no real consequence... they looked the other way because "it was easier." They've suffered their complacent fates.

Simply my 0.02 and I feel obligated to this opinion as I work on one side of this fence and live on the other.

gmg,

Thanks for your generous invitation. If I'm down yonder again, I'll surely PM to take you up!

gmg-g20
12-08-2006, 12:17
well guys, got my permit renewal back today! 28 days from the application, not too bad... I started to ask them if they were gonna print renewals anymore but I just took the card and got outta there! :banana:

Truckee thanks for the help on the fingerprinting issue, I owe you a cold one:thumbsup:

VABOB
01-10-2007, 21:32
Received it today - approximately 36 days.

vafish
01-11-2007, 07:22
Received it today - approximately 36 days.

I'm still waiting in Fairfax. 44 days.

Truckee
01-11-2007, 22:00

fish,
You're one day away from demanding a temporary! :banana:

longwatch2k1
01-11-2007, 23:01
You know I don't think I've heard of anyone actually getting a temporary. If you do get one let us know or if they refuse let VCDL know.

alien-Glocker
01-12-2007, 17:38
Its now 45 days...

Did you receive your CHP?

Mine took 44 days, last fall-Nov-Dec. I had the letter to VCDL written and time planned for hitting the courthouse in Fairfax (in a pleasant way). Then they went and sent my renewal with one day to spare!

vafish
01-13-2007, 21:49
Wasn't in Friday or Saturday's mail.

Looks like I'll head to the court house on Tuesday and get the temporary permit.

Truckee
01-14-2007, 12:20
Wasn't in Friday or Saturday's mail.

Looks like I'll head to the court house on Tuesday and get the temporary permit.

I'll bet on one of two situations for you fish. Your permit will be at the Clerk's office or "in the mail."

I had a friend in Roanoke Co. who was awaiting the mail. Three weeks had passed. I told him to call the Clerk's office... I bet his permit was ready.

He scolded me, "they said they'd mail a notification card!" Post some banter, he called and they told him to come pick it up. His permit was ready in 12 days post application, but they were in no hurry to contact him.

vafish
01-15-2007, 21:22
Truckee,

You are probably right,

But if it isn't sitting there I'm going to make them give me the temporary permit as required by VA law.

Truckee
01-15-2007, 22:19
Truckee,

You are probably right,

But if it isn't sitting there I'm going to make them give me the temporary permit as required by VA law.

AMEN!

You go fish

vafish
01-16-2007, 14:51
Well permit still didn't arrive in today's mail (arrives around noon) so at 2:00 I left work and headed down to the court house.

The ladies behind the counter were very nice, but did not know about the temporary permit. According to their paperwork they mailed out my permit on the 10th (a week ago). I had a copy of the law with me and showed the lady behind the counter where it said they were supposed to issue me a copy of my application stamped/certified by the clerk to be used as a temporary permit for 90 days. She went back and talked to someone else for a few minutes, then came back, gave me my docket number and directed me to the records section around the corner.

The lady at the records section was very nice, also didn't know anything about the temporary permit, but I again showed her the law, she made copies of my application, and stamped/signed it certified with the date.

It will be interesting to see what the post mark is on the envelope when it arrives.

longwatch2k1
01-16-2007, 15:56
Thanks for the report. It would be nice if they knew about temporary permits without you having to tell them, but at least you got it.

vafish
01-16-2007, 21:33
Originally posted by longwatch2k1
Thanks for the report. It would be nice if they knew about temporary permits without you having to tell them, but at least you got it.

It would be real nice if any cops that pull me over know the law. :supergrin:

But I'm carrying a copy of it with me anyways.

It's kind of a pain, My permit application is 3 pages long and the full print out of 18.2-308 is 13 pages. Kind of fills a pocket.

vafish
01-17-2007, 20:04
Permit showed up today. Postmarked 16 January, or 6 days after the court house said they put it in the mail.

bulwaagh
01-18-2007, 16:11
Permit showed up today. Postmarked 16 January, or 6 days after the court house said they put it in the mail.

Did that really suprise you? :D

Joe Mamma
03-07-2007, 22:35
I apologize in advance for this basic question but, I'm hoping someone on here can give me an answer. I tried to find the answer myself, but haven't been able to.

My situation:

- I live in Fairfax County.

- My Concealed Carry Permit (CCP) expires soon.

- The address on my current CCP is no longer correct.

- I didn't change the address when I moved because I looked into changing it right after I moved, and it was a pain in the neck (if I remember correctly). But, I can't remember exactly why.

- My previous address (the one that is printed on my CCP) was also in Fairfax County.

Question:

Is there a way to renew my CCP by mail (as opposed to having to take off work and go to the courthouse to do it in person), and get the new CCP with my new address? If so, how?

Should I just print out the form (linked in the second post of this thread) and submit it with the new address? I don't think that will work but, if someone tells me it will, I'll do it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Joe Mamma

vafish
03-08-2007, 20:29
Joe Mamma,

You have to apply in person.

Just remember that the parking garage at the court house only takes cash. Parking should only cost you $1 to file your permit. But if you don't have buck on you the nearest ATM charges $1.75 fee if you don't bank there. Add the .75 fee my bank charged and it cost me $3.50 to park for a few minutes.