Subaru owners, I are one of you now. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Subaru owners, I are one of you now.


epsylum
11-21-2006, 17:49
I just bought an 02 Legacy GT Limited with a 5 speed. It will mainly be a daily driver and the AWD will come in handy when the snow falls in the next month or so.

Any input on this particular model? Things I should be aware of? It has the 2.5 (EJ25 I believe it is called) engine with SOHC. I know about the Subaru "tick" sound and realize it is normal.

I pick it up tomorrow and will post pics then. BTW it is black/black. That will suck in the summer but be nice in the winter.

salvo
11-21-2006, 20:43
Congrats:thumbsup:

FoxMustang
11-21-2006, 22:10
Congrats, that's a nice car. Good performance without the "look at me" styling of the WRX.

I drove a '95 Impreza for four years, and that thing was a tank. I've a soft spot for Subaru :)

epsylum
11-22-2006, 11:20
Here it is. I drove it first so it got a little dirty in the front and we all know that black shows dirt like crazy.

http://www.photodump.com/direct/epsylum/IMG_2026a.jpg

http://www.photodump.com/direct/epsylum/IMG_2028a.jpg

With my other car (for now) a '92 VW Jetta

http://www.photodump.com/direct/epsylum/IMG_2030a.jpg

southernshooter
11-29-2006, 06:30
According to consumer reports they must be nearly bulletproof. Most get top ratings.

epsylum
11-29-2006, 17:46
Originally posted by southernshooter
According to consumer reports they must be nearly bulletproof. Most get top ratings.

That is what I am hearing from other Subaru owners as well. I am dissapointed with the salesman (typical used car salesman) making promises and not fulfiling them, but the car itself is sweet.

ElConquistador
11-29-2006, 18:17
Looks good! Was it hard to find a 5-speed?

Zaino's is your friend: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc If it were me I'd loose the giant "LIMITED" letters on the sides, a little dental floss will do wonders. :)

epsylum
12-01-2006, 15:30
Originally posted by ElConquistador
Looks good! Was it hard to find a 5-speed?

Zaino's is your friend: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc If it were me I'd loose the giant "LIMITED" letters on the sides, a little dental floss will do wonders. :)

Fishing line works too ;) Yeah it is a little big, but for now I will just leave it as it is. I did get new tires the other day. It had some crappy no-name brands on it and the LF was loosing air. With winter coming I went and got a set of Goodyear Assurance (as usual I wanted Michelins, but could not afford them). With this storm front coming through those heated seats rock.

Re: the availibility of the 5-speed. Not really for me as this was the only Subaru I looked at. I was actually at a Nissan dealership and seeing what was in my price range. It was looking pretty grim (after 3 dealerships all I could find in my price range were tauruses and the like) and the salesman and I just walked buy it and he said "do you like Subarus? We just got this in on trade". I looked at it, saw it was a 5-speed and immediately asked to test drive it.

michael t
12-05-2006, 00:28
Good looking ride. I like Subaru's Now do you know your got a Porsche engine in your car. I was informed of this today by a WRX owner. Yes sir a Porsche Boxster engine supplied by Porsche to Subaru. I was standing next to my car and ask him if he knew what it was . He said nope. I said a Porsche Boxster and you don't have a Porsche engine. .
Once again enjoy your car and be sure to tell every one its got a Porsche engine:supergrin: Oh he works at a KFC as a cook. Failed the Mc Donald "Would you like fries with that sir" test.
I almost forgot he also informed mr since my car was RWD I could never stay with him in the curves. As his car was AWD and all performace cars are AWD. This guy was a trip.

epsylum
12-05-2006, 12:51
Originally posted by michael t
Good looking ride. I like Subaru's Now do you know your got a Porsche engine in your car. I was informed of this today by a WRX owner. Yes sir a Porsche Boxster engine supplied by Porsche to Subaru. I was standing next to my car and ask him if he knew what it was . He said nope. I said a Porsche Boxster and you don't have a Porsche engine. .
Once again enjoy your car and be sure to tell every one its got a Porsche engine:supergrin: Oh he works at a KFC as a cook. Failed the Mc Donald "Would you like fries with that sir" test.
I almost forgot he also informed mr since my car was RWD I could never stay with him in the curves. As his car was AWD and all performace cars are AWD. This guy was a trip.

I have known some morons like that. One guy tried to tell me that Toyota made a limited number of AWD Supra Turbos. Even when I tried to tell him he was probably confused with the Sport-Trac Celica (turbo and AWD and not very many were sold here, called the GT4 in Japan), he kept insisting that it was a Supra.

The problem is some of these people have a small bit of correct info, but fill in their knowledge gaps with complete BS. Yes, the Subaru has a boxer engine like Porsches, but it is NOT a Porsche engine. He probably heard that it was "like a Porsche" and made that into "it is a Porsche" in his head.

BTW he probably thinks a Harley V-Rod engine was American designed, when it fact it WAS designed by Porsche. :supergrin:

Re: his stance on AWD vs. RWD. Just silly. AWD does have some advantages when it comes to sportscars, but it also has its share of disadvantages. Generally RWD is simpler and just as effective so naturally it is the common choice. It is sort of like saying a 911 is sooo much better because it is rear engine/rear drive. It does have advantages (straight line acceleration traction and better braking traction), but it has some serious handling quirks. The 911 is what it is because Porsche knows how to make it work and has had almost a century perfecting that layout.

GroovedG19
12-06-2006, 21:37
Nice looking sedan you have there, epsylum.

Toxie
12-06-2006, 23:40
911 Carrera 4.

AWD.

Mr V
12-21-2006, 16:46
Wife and I have the old person's Subaru.....a Forester.
Nice thing with gray hair or lack of hair and a Forester is that the cops pretty much ignore you.
Wife loves it for winter driving!!!
Nice looking ride!!!!
Hardly see any Subaru's here (eastern Washington state) that actually have a trunk.
Enjoy!!
I had a 60+ year old Subura owner tell me the "Porsche enginge line".

epsylum
12-21-2006, 20:40
Originally posted by Mr V
Wife and I have the old person's Subaru.....a Forester.
Nice thing with gray hair or lack of hair and a Forester is that the cops pretty much ignore you.
Wife loves it for winter driving!!!
Nice looking ride!!!!
Hardly see any Subaru's here (eastern Washington state) that actually have a trunk.
Enjoy!!
I had a 60+ year old Subura owner tell me the "Porsche enginge line".

I am not a fan of SUVs. In fact I would never, ever own one. I was mentioning to my dad last week how the Forester is so much more practical than an SUV. It gets better gas milage, from what I can tell has about the interior room of an Explorer, costs less, doesn't tip over as easily, and the whole full time AWD vs. having to engage it. I would get a Forester over an SUV any day and not think twice. The new turbo Legacys make me jealous though. They look sweet and have an WRX engine.

Toxie
12-22-2006, 11:29
Explorers have been available with auto-engauge 4WD since the late 90's. Forseter IS more practical for those that drive an SUV just to drive one - If you USE your SUV AS an suv,(towing, or going off-road) the explorer has it's advantages. true 4wd > AWD for the tough stuff (not that the explorer is great off-road, just better then the subby).

epsylum
12-22-2006, 11:58
Originally posted by Toxie
Explorers have been available with auto-engauge 4WD since the late 90's. Forseter IS more practical for those that drive an SUV just to drive one - If you USE your SUV AS an suv,(towing, or going off-road) the explorer has it's advantages. true 4wd > AWD for the tough stuff (not that the explorer is great off-road, just better then the subby).

True, for those who use their SUVs, they need 'em. Problem is the SUV is now the new mini-van and the majority of people who own them do not use them for their intended purpose. Case in point, there would be no Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator if only people who used them bought them. I have seen people who have these huge tanks (Expeditions, etc.) and have no clue how to park them or back up. That just bothers me. Then they use excuses like "it gives me a commanding view of the road" or "I feel safer". :upeyes: Say that when your overweight whale of a vehicle flips over.

Sorry, you got me started on SUVs. I HATE SUVs. :supergrin:

Toxie
12-23-2006, 22:37
LOL. Just remember that tghere are people out there who DO use them. I wouldn't be able to ever go camping happily without my durango. 2 bullmastiffs, a 21' boat and a 1 y.o. to tote around.

Forester would have a heart attack with all that weight. It would be like david spade trying to pull a suburban up a 10 degree grade!

I hate Crossovers. They just look stupid. They looked dumb when eagle made them, and still do today.