Knife laws in the Philippines. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Knife laws in the Philippines.


anticentipede
11-21-2006, 21:35
Greeting mga kabayan.

I've been looking for Philippine knife laws, so do we have any?

Which knives are allowed to be carried in pulic and which aren't?

Which knives are allowed to be carried and used for self defense, and which aren't?

I want to know because i have a few cheap brandless fixed knives that i would like to carry with me wherever i go so that i would have a lethal self defense option.

Thank you.

attyjpl
11-21-2006, 23:41
Originally posted by anticentipede
Greeting mga kabayan.

I've been looking for Philippine knife laws, so do we have any?

Which knives are allowed to be carried in pulic and which aren't?

Which knives are allowed to be carried and used for self defense, and which aren't?

I want to know because i have a few cheap brandless fixed knives that i would like to carry with me wherever i go so that i would have a lethal self defense option.

Thank you.



i think we have a couple of knife laws: presidential decree no. 9, as amended by batas pambansa bilang 6.

here is the link:

http://www.chanrobles.com/bataspambansabilang6.htm

mikey177
11-22-2006, 00:01
From the link posted by attyjpl:

It is unlawful to carry outside of one's residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as "knife", "spear", "pana", "dagger", "bolo", "barong", "kris", or "chako", except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity.

***

I wonder if staying alive constitutes a lawful activity? :)

HEAVY
11-22-2006, 00:14
Originally posted by mikey177
From the link posted by attyjpl:



***

I wonder if staying alive constitutes a lawful activity? :)

not here. :)

KevlarSix
11-22-2006, 00:59
Which is why I carry a Leatherman instead... Ala Russel Crowe in the movie PROOF OF LIFE where he used a Leatherman to silence a sentry.

choi_tan2000
11-22-2006, 01:25
sir. attyjpl,so any size basta matulis hindi pwede dalhin ?
good day po

maliban kung connected sa work mu ?

LEO, FArmers? even swiss knife po pala di rin pwede ?

masyado atang malawak defenition ng law ntn.

buti pa ang gun pwede ptc or ptt hehe

ung knife di pwede hehe. jok lang po

G19c,PH
11-22-2006, 01:36
Ako i carry a Gerber multi-plier everyday..:)

choi_tan2000
11-22-2006, 01:41
sir glock 19 ok lng ba un ?

kahit sa opis lng ako work ?

PMMA97
11-22-2006, 06:03
Yep, one could carry a gun with multiple rounds (PTCFOR) but there is no way that you could legally carry a bladed weapon unless you're a registered butcher in your local palengke kapag bumbero ka pwede sigurong magbitbit ng fire axe. :supergrin:

mikey177
11-22-2006, 06:16
You'd be lucky if you were an FMA instructor, or were certified to teach LEOs or military personnel, ala-Tommy Lee Jones in The Hunted ;)

KevlarSix
11-22-2006, 06:35
Also it's very much easier to justify carrying a multi-tool rather than a pocket knife.

Allegra
11-22-2006, 07:35
Originally posted by choi_tan2000
sir glock 19 ok lng ba un ?

kahit sa opis lng ako work ?


K lang my dlang itak choi , bsta my dla ka ring buko

anticentipede
11-22-2006, 08:05
I was afraid of this, now i can't bring my push dagger with me when i'm outdoors. :mad:

I can't believe all knives are banned, even one-inch ones, this is really stupid.


Good thing the list doesn't include ninja stars, so i can still carry mine, but unfortunately ninja stars are non-lethal distraction weapons only, and i'm not accurate with them either, so i still need a close range lethal force option.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a close range lethal force option that doesn't require much skill ( like a push dagger)?

How effective are multitools anyway? Can the blade be deployed quickly?

saki1611
11-22-2006, 09:53
our law about blades is too broad, i think the broader the law the more loopholes you can see. for as long as you can reason out why do you have such tools with you outside your residence, which has a lot of reasons, and your in good faith that it's not an instrument to commit a crime there wouldn't be a problem. but watch out for our LEO's who's looking at it as an opportunity ot extort money or would get interest to your very expensive knife, of course you would rather give your Php25k knife than spend sometime in jail. so my suggestion is keep your knife discreetly and prepare a good reason and keep a calling card of a very good lawyer or a very persuasive contact. just my two cents...:thumbsup:

Kiddo
11-22-2006, 14:29
Originally posted by anticentipede
How effective are multitools anyway? Can the blade be deployed quickly?

I think multitools are just that, tools. They aren't made to be weapons since the blade takes time to pull out.

choi_tan2000
11-22-2006, 16:35
oo nga cge magdadala ako ng buko

hehehehe

gilette kaya di pwede ??????

jok lng

mikey177
11-22-2006, 16:37
Some multitools like the Leatherman Charge and Wave have a hole in the blade that allows them to be opened one-handed, like most Spyderco folders. The speed at which this can be accomplished becomes better with practice.

I prefer to carry a Victorinox Swisstool instead, as it has more heft than other lighter multitools. The blade cannot be deployed quickly by any stretch of the imagination, but it makes one heck of an impact weapon. It's also less "questionable" than a multitool that has a quick-open blade, but then again, that would depend on the apprehending LEO.

attyjpl
11-22-2006, 16:54
Originally posted by choi_tan2000
sir. attyjpl,so any size basta matulis hindi pwede dalhin ?
good day po

maliban kung connected sa work mu ?

LEO, FArmers? even swiss knife po pala di rin pwede ?

masyado atang malawak defenition ng law ntn.

buti pa ang gun pwede ptc or ptt hehe

ung knife di pwede hehe. jok lang po


choi, if we analyze the law AS IT IS, it would pretty much cover ANY bladed weapon regardless of its size. but like saki said, the more general the law is, the more loopholes it has.

i've been drooling for the longest time to get a knife at SOE, kaya lang mahirap idepensa ang matulis kapag nahuli ka. mabuti pa ang baril, may lisensiya. ang kutsilyo, wala. i remember a friend who was brought to the security office of a mall in recto because he was carrying a swiss army knife (2-inch blade!) i had to argue with the security personnel that the law covers only those with 4 inches blade or more. buti na lang nakalusot :animlol: regardless of this incident, i would still prefer to carry a swiss knife. :)

Punisher_nbi45
11-22-2006, 17:07
:thumbsup:

+1 with what Saki said.

choi_tan2000
11-22-2006, 17:55
tnx to saki and attyjpl

ur advise helps a lot kasi dami nga talga gray areas of the law.

well i assumed all of us here has a good faith naman on carying a swissknife of any baled tools . ironic din nga na people can cary gun legaly but not a bladed weapon maybe kasi anybody can buy balisong at a hundred box .

anyway tnx sir i always kip ur inputs in mind. we all law abiding kasi kaya maingat tau diba.

but we have to protect our family and ourselves cge gun nalng tau hehe.

c u all on sunday.

happy shooting po


tnx

PMMA97
11-22-2006, 19:31
Originally posted by choi_tan2000
tnx to saki and attyjpl

ur advise helps a lot kasi dami nga talga gray areas of the law.

well i assumed all of us here has a good faith naman on carying a swissknife of any baled tools . ironic din nga na people can cary gun legaly but not a bladed weapon maybe kasi anybody can buy balisong at a hundred box .

anyway tnx sir i always kip ur inputs in mind. we all law abiding kasi kaya maingat tau diba.

but we have to protect our family and ourselves cge gun nalng tau hehe.

c u all on sunday.

happy shooting po


tnx

k. Ang sarap mag text. Tipid sa load. :supergrin:

Habit forming yan dre. Konting ingat. :)

choi_tan2000
11-22-2006, 19:38
tnx pmma97

hehhe


ya i have to control my self hehe

i shoudnt let that habbit formed.

tnx again hehehe

choi

Django
11-22-2006, 21:14
Moral of the story is to bring the biggest, baddest blade that you can carry and not a one inch pocket knife. The English broadsword would be fine piece for this.

The same jail time for both anyway. :animlol:

lcarreau
11-22-2006, 21:15
Yikes, you folks have it rough!

-Lonnie

Kiddo
11-23-2006, 04:47
Not to hijack the thread, but are there any laws against carrying impact weapons such as a nightstick, arnis, chaku, or a tonfa?

Allegra
11-23-2006, 06:32
Originally posted by Kiddo
Not to hijack the thread, but are there any laws against carrying impact weapons such as a nightstick, arnis, chaku, or a tonfa?


san ang rambol? :)

saki1611
11-24-2006, 08:50
Originally posted by Django
Moral of the story is to bring the biggest, baddest blade that you can carry and not a one inch pocket knife. The English broadsword would be fine piece for this.

The same jail time for both anyway. :animlol:

:laughabove: but beware of Connor MacLeod, sya hunting sa'yo...:supergrin:

antediluvianist
11-24-2006, 19:05
You know those exercise batons (strong fat spring in the middle and grips on the ends) ?

Keep one in your car. It's just an exercise thing, if you are searched, but it makes a good weapon with reach, leverage and spring-action.