Rimfire home defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire home defense

Pages : [1] 2 3

James Markov
11-23-2006, 08:57
Anybody use the .22 here as a PRIMARY self defense gun for the home? If so, why? And, what load do you use?

GixxerSixxer
11-23-2006, 11:34
My GF uses Stingers in her P-22. I've tried and tried to transition her to at least a .380 acp but the recoil scares her.

Conversely, she'll go trap shooting with me and handles 50 rounds of 12 ga just fine but I can't get her to switch to a 18" 870 for home defense. I just can't get the logic through to her :freak:.

collim1
11-25-2006, 00:17
My GF housesitted for a family in the county area a while back. I gave her a "safety pack" including a Surefire light and a Ruger MKI loaded with stinger .22's

She is a very good shot with the MKI and would refuse to take anything else. I would rather her put 10 stinger into someone then nothing.

Not my choice for a primary HD weapon, but better than nothing.

Bill Keith
11-25-2006, 12:36
Many years ago I had a Beretta model 70 22LR, and used it for home defense because it was the only gun I had. I kept it loaded with Stingers and was a good shot with it. The gun was foolishly sold and I miss it. It held 8 rounds in the mag and looked like a small model 92.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976746181.htm

LOOGIE1
11-25-2006, 18:48
this is what i use for home defence its the only pistol i have its a bereta neos .22. i dont want to kill someone just want to let them know they are not welcome and if 10 shots wont do that they are going to get the best of me anyway i use federal copper jacketd hollow point
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/cpurvis/IMG_0007-1.jpg

sharpshooter
11-26-2006, 12:07
You could just use your voice to tell them their not welcome... The way I see things, if someone enters my home, I have to assume they intend to harm me or my family. Quite often that means the intruder must be killed or seriously injured very quickly. If your house is like most people's houses, an encounter with a home intruder will most likely occur within 10-15 feet or less since most rooms are that size or smaller. You're really gonna wish you had something bigger than a 22.

An intruder climbed up the exterior wall of our place and entered thru the second story bedroom window. When I awoke to my wife's screams, the intruder was within arm's reach of me. I dove off the bed and grabbed my 40 cal Glock. The intruder jumped back out the window. I had my sights on him for a split second as he lept out the window but I did not fire. Believe me, you don't want a 22 in a situation like that.

failsafe
11-26-2006, 12:13
Not for home defense...I carry my Walther P22 in the summer, when I am walking around the neighborhood, just to keep the unwanted loose dog attack from happening....

LOOGIE1
11-26-2006, 15:19
as i said above its the only pistol i own i dont think a hk-91 or a romak-3 would fit in my night stand so something is better than nada right. Send me the cash and i would gladly get a glock for now the .22 will have to do plus who out there has ever shot an intruder. not saying it has never happend but they will usuly take off at the sound of some one being home

vafish
11-26-2006, 21:40
Originally posted by James Markov
Anybody use the .22 here as a PRIMARY self defense gun for the home? If so, why? And, what load do you use?

Not now, but I have on a couple of occasions in the past.

First occasion was when I was first married, my wife didn't like shooting any of my big handguns, but she loved my little Ruger Single Six. When I traveled out of town I'd put away the .357 magnum and bring out the SS with the .22 mag cylinder in it. I figured the wife was better off with a gun she could shoot well. She never had to test the stopping power theory of the .22 magnum.

Second occasion was when I was living overseas in a country that had a very dim view of self defense. They had prosecuted several people for murder that had used firearms to defend their homes. Firearms ownership was severly restricted, but I had a legally owned 15 shot .22 semi auto rifle that was equipped with a screw on suppressor (also legal). My home defense plan used the 3 S's (Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up) Never had to use it.

And not for home defense, but a long time ago, for a short period, my primary carry gun was an Iver Johnson TP22. I practice regulary drawing from my rear pocket and emptying the magazine of CCI Stingers as fast as I could into the head of the target. After a few months of that I started carrying bigger guns.

salvo
11-27-2006, 14:07
Originally posted by vafish

And not for home defense, but a long time ago, for a short period, my primary carry gun was an Iver Johnson TP22. I practice regulary drawing from my rear pocket and emptying the magazine of CCI Stingers as fast as I could into the head of the target. After a few months of that I started carrying bigger guns.

vafish you must have read the ramblings of Ayoob and the vertues of the little TP22 also:supergrin: I bought mine early in 86 and got pretty good with it, it quickly became a back up gun then glove box duty. Sits in the safe now, guess I better go shoot it one of these days.
A .22 is 100% better than nothing. Practice often and shoot for the CPU

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Guns/MVC-158F.jpg

James Markov
11-27-2006, 19:06
Anybody use a .22 revolver?

vafish
11-29-2006, 07:19
Originally posted by salvo
vafish you must have read the ramblings of Ayoob and the vertues of the little TP22 also:supergrin: I bought mine early in 86 and got pretty good with it, it quickly became a back up gun then glove box duty. Sits in the safe now, guess I better go shoot it one of these days.

[/IMG]

I don't recall Ayoob's writing's affecting my choice at the time, just that a dealer I bought most of my guns through back then had one and I thought it was a cool little gun.

In a fit of stupidity I sold it to a co-worker. I've only seen 1 used in a gun shop since then and didn't have any spare cash when it was available.

22collector
11-29-2006, 15:20
Hey I keep a two loaded handguns in the house my Airweight and my P22. I cant shoot the airweught for anything (need to practice more) so its my BUG for the bad guys. I figured that by the time I had 10 in him from the 22 he will be close enough to hit with the 38. But I dont use Stingers in my P22. If you go to the walther forum on www.rimfirecentral.com many people have had many problems with the Stingers being too powerful for the zinc slide on the P22, and they are a hair longer that a standard lr so there have been ejection problems. I use MiniMags they work flawlessly and at 25 yards I can put 10 shots in a 3 inch group and not possibly tear up the gun. Do I ever see having to use the P22 for home defense... No but both are within reach and to tell you the truth I would probably grab the 38 first. If its the only gun you have then by all means use it. I cant get my girlfriend to carry a knife let alone shoot a gun so I leave the P22 loaded at the house for her just in case. I figured if she had to use it she could handle the recoil enough not to let it fly out of her hands. Shot placement is most important with a 22 so if it floats your boat use it.

eddief4
11-29-2006, 17:05
a .22 is better than nothing:wavey:

vafish
11-30-2006, 06:43
Originally posted by 22collector
....... But I dont use Stingers in my P22. If you go to the walther forum on www.rimfirecentral.com many people have had many problems with the Stingers being too powerful for the zinc slide on the P22, and they are a hair longer that a standard lr so there have been ejection problems. I use MiniMags they work flawlessly ......

When using a rimfire for self defense reliability is the most important thing.

In my Iver Johnson TP22 Stingers functioned perfectly. I don't think there is that much difference between various .22 LR loads when fired from a short barreled handgun for self defense uses.

WellArmedSheep
12-03-2006, 17:31
My wife has her Walther P22 by her side of the bed, and I have my Remington 870. Her primary duty in case of a home invasion is to dial 911.

Mickid
12-04-2006, 10:22
It's strange, nobody mentioned a .22 rifle as a rimfire home defense weapon. From a 10/22 the .22 l.r. round has about as much power as a .32 ACP from a short barrel, like a Keltec P32.
Many people trust the P32, or slightly more powerful P3AT, even though it does not have the option of a 25 round magazine, for personal protection.

A .22 rifle is not the worst of choices for somebody on a budget.

Burns
12-18-2006, 09:55
I would take a 10/22 over a P32 for home defense.

UtahIrishman
12-18-2006, 10:41
While my primary defense is my G19 I keep my Ruger 10/22 in the basement, which is where I spend a good deal of time since it is my office. It's maneuverable and light and with a 25 round mag certainly has plenty of firepower.

reerc
12-21-2006, 21:06
I've never really considered a .22 for home defense, but I'd like to start warming the wife up to carying/shooting something, and I'm sure a .22 would certainly be far less intimidating to her.

And like they say ... any gun is better than no gun, yes?

:thumbsup:

Burns
12-22-2006, 09:42
For a new female shooter, I really like the idea of a 5-shot revolver. That way, if she can't stop her attacker right away, she can get all five shots off before the attacker gets to her, and the attacker is less likely to be able to use the gun against her.

KalashnakovKids
12-24-2006, 22:25
All great points you have Made and dont get me wrong cuz 10/22 is one of my favs but for home defense, especially in the middle of night, I trust my $200.00 Mossberg 12ga with rem 00buck it just seems like more of a safe bet to me. To each their own :)

PAPACHUCK
12-29-2006, 07:27

I don't, but, I think a 4-6" .22WMR with 40-50gr.HP would probably do the job. Maybe a Grendel P30 if it could be made reliable.

Even with CCI Stingers or Velocitors, I believe the .22LR isn't quite up to the task.

just my .02

:wavey:

PzGren
01-02-2007, 04:21
I'd much rather use a .22 l.r. stinger or comparable round than a .22 Magnum out of a handgun. You'll have plenty of flash and not the performance that the .22 Magnum can deliver out of a longer barrel.

Alaskapopo
01-03-2007, 07:43
Originally posted by LOOGIE1
this is what i use for home defence its the only pistol i have its a bereta neos .22. i dont want to kill someone just want to let them know they are not welcome and if 10 shots wont do that they are going to get the best of me anyway i use federal copper jacketd hollow point
You need a real gun in 9mm/38 special or larger. Sorry but all 10 shots of a 22 will do is piss them off unless you hit them in the eye. It could very well kill them but I doubt it would stop them with anything less than a perfect shot to the CNS.
Pat

Burns
01-03-2007, 11:07
10 shots of .22 would do a great deal more than just "pissing them off". A .22 WOULD NOT BE MY CHOICE FOR SELF-DEFENSE. However, if someone broke into my house, and all I had was a 10/22, I'd lay it on the BG - and I would take him down.

If you want to get an idea, shoot a .22 into a wet phone book. With proper shot placement - 10 shots of .22 will easily do the job - that is, if you can get 10 shots off in time.

LOOGIE - It is fine if you "don't want to kill someone", that's your choice. Keep shooting your .22 at targets, lock it up afterwords, and never pull a gun on anyone. Don't shoot to scare, shoot to STOP - or just don't even draw. In such an event your time is EXTREMELY limited, and the bastardo isn't interested in having diplomatic relations with you. If you just wound the guy, he's liable to beat you to a pulp, take your Neos, and use it against you. Or, you may pull a .45 on you. Do you really want to compete against that with your .22 wounding shots?

An intruder in my home who poses a threat will face an SKS backed up by my G19.

PzGren
01-03-2007, 12:06
My problem is definitely not the lack of centerfire guns but I would not feel too uncomfortable with a .22 l.r. for home defense.

If somebody thinks a .22 is not good enough, it's his opinion. It's just that, another opinion. Mine is different. My whole security set up might be different, too. So might my military training and life experience be. Two civil wars in the Third World among it.

Not better necessarily, but different.

Alaskapopo
01-04-2007, 08:40
Originally posted by PzGren
My problem is definitely not the lack of centerfire guns but I would not feel too uncomfortable with a .22 l.r. for home defense.

If somebody thinks a .22 is not good enough, it's his opinion. It's just that, another opinion. Mine is different. My whole security set up might be different, too. So might my military training and life experience be. Two civil wars in the Third World among it.

Not better necessarily, but different.

I have seen enough shootings with the .22lr to know its not something I would trust my life too. Minimum calibers for self defense are 9x19 and the 38 special. You could say thats just my opinion but its one shared with most firearms instructors.

Now would I use a 22 lr if that was the only pistol available to me sure. But its a very poor choice.
Pat

PzGren
01-04-2007, 10:12
.22s also come in rifles and those are cheaper and easier to shoot than a handgun even.

Shot placement with a .22 rifle is easier than with any handgun. My wife called an ambulance for two guys that got shot with about 20 rounds of what appeared to be 9mm FMJ. The two men sadly died before the ambulance arrived. They were showing my wife their wounds and one slid down when the adrenalin level lowered.

Caliber is just one part of the equation.

straightblast
01-04-2007, 18:57

Wife's choice is a Model 48 in .22 maggie. She is very, very, good with it.

CajunBass
01-08-2007, 04:54
Originally posted by Alaskapopo
Sorry but all 10 shots of a 22 will do is piss them off unless you hit them in the eye. :upeyes:

From the "Big Book of Tired, Worn Out Gun Cliches."

If you got something better, use it.

If all you've got is a 22, use it.

vafish
01-08-2007, 07:55
Originally posted by CajunBass
:upeyes:

From the "Big Book of Tired, Worn Out Gun Cliches."

If you got something better, use it.

If all you've got is a 22, use it until you can afford to buy something better .

CajunBass,

Took the liberty of editing that for you. :thumbsup:

Glockdude1
01-08-2007, 08:27
Remington Yellow Jackets.

CajunBass
01-19-2007, 12:08
Originally posted by vafish
CajunBass,

Took the liberty of editing that for you. :thumbsup:

No objection to that VaFish, but in some cases that's not even the question. My wife for example has access to, and shoots quite well with any of three 9mm's and our Makarov, but she still likes her Bersa Firestorm 22 for her carry gun. She has confidence in the gun, and can shoot the lights out with it. She's put several thousand rounds through it, and knows it is 100% with CCI stingers.

For a while she carried the Mak, but didn't like the weight, so she went back to the Bersa. I'm hoping to persuade her to get a 380 Firestorm, but that's going to be her decision. I'd much rather her have a 22 she's familiar with, and knows how to use, and will carry, than something she really doesn't like, and will leave at home because "it's too heavy." (I can relate to that. I carry the Mak most of the time because the XD-9 is "too heavy.")

By the way. Someone else mentioned a 22 to introduce their wife/GF/someone to shooting. The Bersa Firestorm is a great choice IMHO if you can find one. The one she's got is the only one I've ever seen.

No, a 22 isn't ideal, but it's a good starting place. So how about we edit my statement to,

If a 22 is all you got, use it, until you can afford, and are comfortable with, something better.

AKMIKEFMJ
01-19-2007, 16:47
I carry a Firestorm FS-22 on hikes or out in the yard. It is light and handy. The house gun is a M1 carbine....
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/fire2.jpg

Sierra
01-21-2007, 16:21
Of course the 0.22 is better than nothing but the lawsuit that would surely follow would be devastating, financially, even if it was justified.

PzGren
01-22-2007, 10:16
Originally posted by Sierra
Of course the 0.22 is better than nothing but the lawsuit that would surely follow would be devastating, financially, even if it was justified.

Lawsuit? Florida has the Castle law but I do not see how the use of a .22 in a justified self defense case can be interpreted as particularly vicious. Can you please explain this?

Sierra
01-22-2007, 10:28
The average cost of defending yourself in a wrongful death lawsuit is currently estimated to be over $30K even if you prevail. I don't think using a 0.22 would be considered vicious but the cost of defending yourself would be very costly. Damages could also be immense. Similarly any civil lawsuit involving injury would also be costly. The vast majority of people shot survive. Therefore associated medical costs would also have to be considered in the lawsuit.

The case for using a larger caliber may be more persuasive when considering home defense.

Glockdude1
01-22-2007, 12:46
Sierra,

Are you a defense attorney?

Are you aware this is a PRO GUN web site?

Do you work for the Brady's?

You obviously have no interest in anyone legaly defending themselves, family and property.

When it comes to all of the above, only 1 story will be told when the police arrive. Mine.

Sierra
01-22-2007, 12:49
Dude - I'm not a lawyer but I think the bigger the hole in the bad guy, the less chance of a difference of opinion when the cops arrive.

Glockdude1
01-22-2007, 12:51
Originally posted by Sierra
Dude - I'm not a lawyer but I think the bigger the hole in the bad guy, the less chance of a difference of opinion when the cops arrive.

Home Defense: 12ga.

Sierra
01-22-2007, 12:54
That would work.

PzGren
01-22-2007, 14:04
Sierra,

in Florida and Indiana the Castle law is passed. If somebody gets shot in defense of a home, he cannot sue.
Anyway, I rather pay $30,000 than loose my life. I am in the good situation to have guns that will lend themselves better to end an armed conflict than a .22 l.r. but this is not about legal costs, it is about defense of your life. I'd rather have a .22 l.r. than nothing.

If your state has less reasonable laws (spell absence of justice), work on changing the law, not the calibre or the subject of this thread.

Sierra
01-22-2007, 15:02
You are on better legal ground than we are here on the West Coast.

PzGren
01-22-2007, 15:09
I know but we have trouble of our own here, too. I want to move farther north again.

The NRA is our only friend in our preservation of firearms and self defense rights.;)

mac66
01-31-2007, 14:06
As others would say, the 22 wouldn't be MY first choice but I sure wouldn't have a problem with it if that's all I had. Just remember that no one wants to be shot and many, many people have been killed with a 22. A 22 packs a pretty good wallop. Just ask James Brady and the secret service agent and police officer who was shot by John Hinkley when he tried to kill Prez. Reagan.

I seem to recall a movie on tv that was based on a real event. An 11 year old kid was home alone in a rural area when two scumbags broke in. He confronted them with a 22 rifle. When they didnt back off and came at him he started shooting. He hit both of them who then fled. Both were later found dead in the yard or close by field.

skiezics
02-01-2007, 02:55
I wouldn't be over-confident in a 12 gauge or any firearm for that matter. A quick story about a "gunfight" in the rural area where I live. Around five years ago an unstable middle-aged man was consistantly causing trouble in his neighborhood. He especially had a beef with an elderly couple that lived directly next to him. From what I understand the couple was very nice and kept to themselves but the man kept causing problems with them/going onto their property, etc. The police were called by the couple and the other neighbors on a few occasions. The middle-aged man plain and simple was a troublemaker. One day the man goes extra crazy for some reason and goes over to the elderly couples house with a 12 gauge shotgun. He kicks in the kitchen door. In the kitchen is the woman making dinner. The man fired two shots hitting the woman in the arm around the elbow and also in the abdomen. When the womans husband heard the noise he went to the bedroom to retrieve his .22 LR revolver. He met the man at the entrance to the kitchen. The elderly man fired three shots into the chest of the man before he was able to fire with his 12 gauge. The man turned away and ran for the kitchen door in which he entered. He barely got through the kitchen door when he fell down and remained motionless. A neighbor had called 911 and the police arrived just minutes later. When police checked the man he was dead. The elderly woman survived her wounds. She lost her one arm from the elbow down and recovered from the extensive damage the shot did to her guts. She is still as active as she ever was. The shooting was ruled self-defense. Although the .22 is not ideal, it is far from something that will just piss off an intruder.

cowboywannabe
02-09-2007, 13:59
i just bought this one for targets, fishing, and walks in the woods....not as a primary defensive gun at all....

but with Win Super X 37gr. h.p. or CCI Stingers.....its 4" barrel will give the rounds plenty of enough compared to any of the .32acp h.p. from mini autos like the p32 and what not that some folks bet their lives on every day.......though a heavy LRN would be my coice for ensured penetration to the vitals from odd angles....

while not even on the same plain as a 3"-4" K frame .38spl as a minimum for home defense.....it is better than nothing and better than a mini auto in any of the sub-calibers commonly carried today.

1811guy
03-06-2007, 08:20
Originally posted by Glockdude1
Home Defense: 12ga.

+1. Benelli M1 Super 90 with #4 buck. .22s are for target shooting and small game hunting (squirrels, rabbits). But, if a .22 is all you have, then that is your self defense gun. Do not be satisfied with it though, endeavor to get something that will do the job properly. If .22 LR were adequate, police and military would be using it.

Blitzer
03-06-2007, 13:38
Anybody use the .22 here as a PRIMARY self defense gun for the home? If so, why? And, what load do you use? Rimfire .22 cal and Home Defense is an oxymoron.

Even with Aguila 60gr Super Sniper Subsonic .22 ammo and a suppressed rifle it would be a dicey situation.

On second thought I strongly reconsider my opinions: :shocked: :faint:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/208/89382413.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/496/am180twinp.jpg

American 180 Machine gun video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/258574/500_round_machine_gun/)

bac1023
03-07-2007, 22:05
I have a Heritage revolver with cylinders in 22LR and 22Mag. Luckily I'm fortunate enough to own many handguns and currently use my Ruger 454 loaded with 45Colt blazers for home defense. However, if all I had was the 22 revolver, I'd keep it loaded with 22magnums, but wouldn't feel overly secure in that situation. Although the 22mag is a hot little round, its bullet is just too small and light to cause the damage necessary without pinpoint shot placement. An intruder could easily die from 22magnum wounds, but I don't see it dropping someone quickly without outstanding shot placement. In situations like a home invasion at night, great shot placement may be difficult.

ciwsguy
03-09-2007, 23:30
Didn't see any mention in the string of Quik-Shok 22's. If your piece can handle them, these rounds are hyper velocity pre-fragmented 32 grain bullets. They are supposed to be VERY effective 22's as the bullet fragments into 3 or 4 pieces when it strikes the target. I bought some, but haven't had a chance to test them in the back yard. Reportedly, these rounds will drop a varmint dead with one shot. I've you've tried to kill wild rabbit with a 22, you know it usually takes standard 22's or minimags several shots to drop it unless you manage a dead-on head shot.

katana8869
03-10-2007, 07:01
I had a buddy back it the late 80's who kept a Tech .22 with a 30 shot magazine and a laser attached to it slung over his bedpost. He was of the opinion that it was the ultimate Ninja slayer. :mallninja:

As for me, my first handgun was a Ruger MK II. My plan of action for self defence was basically point it COM and empty the magazine, reload and repeat as neccesary.

I always carried Stingers, more for reliability than performance.

My wife is finally starting to come around to thinking about self defense and wants to start shooting with me. (Only took 7 years :supergrin: She is a "Northern Girl" raised by PHD college professors, poor child... ) so my old MK II is going to be the one she learns on.

James Markov
03-13-2007, 23:34
Anybody use the CCI Velocitor to shoot various wet phone books, or varmits and have any info?

G26man
03-25-2007, 22:29
Everyone keeps mentioning stingers for defense. Although I would not generally select a .22 if any other option were available, if I was using one I would use velocitors. They have as much expansion and energy but a much heavier bullet for better penetration. A good thing if you're going for headshots which is a viable plan with a .22 IMO. Also I have heard stingers do worse in pistols than most rounds because they use slow burning powder. I don't know if the same is true for velocitors.

Don't even think of using quick-shocks. You want 10-14 inches of penetration to reach vital organs reliably, not the 2-3 inches you would get with the quick-shocks. They would be my choice for blowing up small critters, but not stopping people.

If I had to choose a .22 for home defense I would go with the Walther G22 if they make high caps for it or if not my short barreled 10/22 carbine with a 25 shot mag. I see 8-10 rounds of .22lr as a pretty good substitute for a 12G buckshot blast, and with a easy to aim short light carbine that can put rounds out very quickly I would think it could be a formidable weapon if used wisely.

vafish
03-26-2007, 06:07
Here's a photo of recovered rounds from some .22 LR testing I did a couple years ago. Rounds were shot from a Marlin Model 60 rifle at a distance of about 25 yards.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/rimfiretest.jpg

The test media was Corbin Simtest.

http://www.bulletswage.com/sim-test.htm

From other testing I've done with Simtest penetration was about 1/2 of what others report in ballistic gelatin.

Notice the Quiwk Shock penetrated a Whopping 1 3/8".

If I had to use a rimfire for home defense, I'd use the Velocitors.

oldnavy
03-27-2007, 21:40
No matter what you use, it is all about shot placement.

One 22 in the heart or eyeball is worth a lot more then a 200gr 10mm at 1100 fps FLESH WOUND.

However I sleep with my S&W 915 9mm with internal LazerMax under the pillow, with the old Mossberg 20g pump near by. :thumbsup:

James Markov
06-03-2007, 13:31
Some of the guys have AR or AK style type of weapons for home defense, but you gotta wonder what happens to the rounds they miss shooting at an intruder in their home. Assuming a homeowner lives in an apartment, or a mobile home park, has the issue of rounds over penetrating really been closely considered? Since most rounds miss an attacker anyway, I would be scared to ventilate a bunch of nearby apartments or trailers. Do you(meaning the homeowner) consider this to be a major problem?

Blitzer
06-03-2007, 20:08
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/3276/am1801xr5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:supergrin: :thumbsup: ;) :)

James Markov
06-04-2007, 08:03
Originally posted by Blitzer
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/3276/am1801xr5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:supergrin: :thumbsup: ;) :) Is that an American 180?

chevy
06-20-2007, 15:56
yup sure is

2spurs
06-20-2007, 17:05
Guys I've used a gun 3 times for defense. Never pulled the trigger any of the times. From this I conclude that "having" a gun at the right time and place is more important than caliber. At one point a 10-22 was all I had, but I did'nt fear home invaders. Having it handy allowed me to solve 4 legged Varmint problems serveral times.

I've seen a TV interview with gang bangers that had been shot and were showing off their scars - talking about how tough they were, but None said they wanted to get shot again. They talked about other gang members who did'nt make it after being shot.

mac66
06-22-2007, 14:38
You need a real gun in 9mm/38 special or larger. Sorry but all 10 shots of a 22 will do is piss them off unless you hit them in the eye. It could very well kill them but I doubt it would stop them with anything less than a perfect shot to the CNS.
Pat

Hmmmm, I seem to recall a guy named John Hinckly who knocked down a secret service agent, a cop, scrambled James Brady's brain, and nearly killed President Reagan with a 22 revolver.

Another fairly famous case was 10 year old kid who shot two intruders with a 22 rifle. They broke into his rural home while his parents were away. Both died and they made a movie out of it.

I investigated an accidental shooting back in the 1970s. A guy who was about 6'6" and about 300lbs was accidently shot by his mother with a 22 rifle. She picked it up by the grip with her finger in the trigger guard and swung it his way to hand it to him. He yelled which startled her. She squeezed and shot him in the upper right chest. He told me it felt like someone hit him with a baseball bat. It knocked him flat and punctured a lung. He was lucky to survive.

Also was part of a task force back in the 70s looking for a guy who used a 22 rifle (Marlin 60) to hunt and kill 4 people. He would wait down the block and when they came out in the morning he would put one bullet in their head. 4 shots, 4 kills.

Two other experiences with 22s. One of the guys on our plaincloths surveillance team carried a Sterling model 302 in 22lr in his pocket as a backup. We were eating in a coffee shop early one morning when he reached into his right front pocket to get change for a tip. His pistol went off shooting himself in the left thigh. The bullet barely missed his femoral artery and left burns and powder tatoos on his *****. It also set his pants on fire which burned some pubic hair. It was kinda funny afterward.

Last story. One of our guys stopped a guy walking down the street near a drug house. It was winter and the guy had a large BDU feild jacket on. As our office approached the guy had a NAA mini revolver in his hand which was covered by his sleave. He shot our guy in the face hitting him in the upper cheek, just below the left eye. It knocked him down but the officer drew his gun when he hit ground and shot the guy in the shin. Backup officers killed the guy as he was trying to recock the little single action. The officer survived but had a broken cheek, damaged nerves in his face and lost the hearing in one ear since the bullet lodged in the ear canal.

Moral to all these stories...a 22 will hurt you, and you really need to avoid being shot with anything.

James Markov
06-25-2007, 08:53
Interesting accounts gents...

BIGHURT
07-03-2007, 16:20
Pat

If you cant stop someone with a .22 you might want to study up and bit and practice and bit and well you get the picture.

James Markov
07-07-2007, 07:17
With center fire ammo prices going thru the roof the rim fire guns are the ones getting shot the most these days...:thumbsup:

AZG30guy
07-07-2007, 16:44
James,

When your thread makes it to a 12 month anniversary we should send you an e-card.

Personally, now a days if I don't reload it, it's a 22LR I'm shooting.

James Markov
07-29-2007, 10:38
Originally posted by AZG30guy
James,

When your thread makes it to a 12 month anniversary we should send you an e-card.

Personally, now a days if I don't reload it, it's a 22LR I'm shooting. Thanks for the humor...:laughabove:
You hit on an interesting concept here. You mentioned that "if you don't reload it then its a .22 you're shooting". I notice there is another 15-25% increase in factory ammo coming on Sept 1st. Since a lot of shooters DON'T reload, and one main concept of defensive shooting is to practice extensively with the gun/caliber you shoot I think the .22 is one of the few calibers a shooter can economically shoot to get good at hitting a target. Maybe the 9mm is kinda cheap also, but hey my view is that most people cannot afford huge ammo budgets these days.
People counter my economics argument with "What is your life worth? "Why not spend more for ammo/defense?" If safety was an issue without concern for money, we would all live in gated communities patrolled by armed guards, drive huge gas guzzling SUV's and have expensive fire suppression systems in our homes.
Unfortunately, money does come into play. I know a guy who has a Hi-Point 9mm with 100 rounds of ball ammo as his self defense package. I went with him to the range, and he can pound a target with it, every time. He is looking to buy a pump shotgun as a upgrade so I'm not too worried. He is waiting for a sale on a deer/field barrel combo.
To repeat, a .22 is far from an ideal defense tool, but if you have it, and can hit stuff with it, you aren't in a dire straits as some suggest.

anyplainjoe
07-30-2007, 06:21
Ditto on the 22 getting more and more use.

If money is a big issue, then I don't believe you have to always practice with the exact same set-up to maintain overall profeciency. Sure, master it, but it better to go practice 5 times with a variety of pistols than only go once with the duty rig. Or just shoot a few rounds of the duty gun each time. Sometimes a long session with a 9, 40 or 45 becomes more an exercise in battling recoil or arm strength than a lesson in quicky markmanship.

James Markov
07-30-2007, 09:41
I have a Ruger Mark 2 .22/45 with a 4 3/4 inch barrel and it has a similar grip setup to my Ruger P97. Newer shooters can go with the Ruger Mark 3/Ruger 345 setup in .22/.45 calibers. You save a ton of cash these days using the .22. Just wait till sept with the 15-25% price increase :shocked:

anyplainjoe
07-30-2007, 10:03
Exactly James. The 22/45 grip angle is modeled after the 1911, so it's a natural trainer. I think the Sigmas and M&Ps uses the same angle as the 1911 too.

AZG30guy
07-30-2007, 22:52
Since the subject has turned to 22LR as a training aid for SD. Here's my $.02. My current training routine is two days a week at the range My gp 100 on Friday night and my G30 on Sunday morning. The 357 and 45's are 100rnds, double tap drill off the draw at 15, 21, and 45ft, for the respective days and in adddition 100rnds of 22LR, off hand at 30ft, from either my single six, mk3 or AA conversion for the G30. A total of 200rnds a range trip.

Yes I reload, but I limit shoot my SD calibers to 100 a range trip, as reloading supplies are actually getting more difficult to buy. As well as component prices are going up as well. I buy my bullets and primers as they are available, with this routine I'm actually building an inventory as a hedge againts future price hikes as well as in case there is a true shortage. The goal is to keep shooting.

My 357 is in my night stand and G30 in my truck, but I use 22LR to supliment SD training. In general my 22's are cleaned and oiled sitting in my range case.

James Markov
08-05-2007, 12:42
I would love to be able to shoot that much. At least you have a couple good guns to shoot with(the G30, and Ruger GP100). Which .22's do you shoot most accurately, including the .22 conversion kit?

AZ_Quailhunter
08-07-2007, 13:12
I have one loaded and ready to go....although not my primary....Glock 19 is primary, loaded with Cor-Bons....and my Ruger Single Six 9-1/2 inch barrel is ready with .22Mag cylinder with Maxi Mag hollow points. I would not be afraid to use it at all if it was the first one I grabbed.

James Markov
08-09-2007, 23:10
Whats the velocity of the .22 magnum in a 9.5 inch barrel?

AZ_Quailhunter
08-11-2007, 22:31
It is about 1700 fps. according to charts I have seen for different barrel lengths.

spober
08-12-2007, 15:26
Originally posted by sharpshooter
You could just use your voice to tell them their not welcome... The way I see things, if someone enters my home, I have to assume they intend to harm me or my family. Quite often that means the intruder must be killed or seriously injured very quickly. If your house is like most people's houses, an encounter with a home intruder will most likely occur within 10-15 feet or less since most rooms are that size or smaller. You're really gonna wish you had something bigger than a 22.

An intruder climbed up the exterior wall of our place and entered thru the second story bedroom window. When I awoke to my wife's screams, the intruder was within arm's reach of me. I dove off the bed and grabbed my 40 cal Glock. The intruder jumped back out the window. I had my sights on him for a split second as he lept out the window but I did not fire. Believe me, you don't want a 22 in a situation like that. are you pulling our collective legs?:banana:

James Markov
08-21-2007, 19:39
I think a solid strike with a .22 would at least have stunned an attacker-Hey...22's aren't a cure all for home protection, but in your situation a .40 caliber Glock would be potent. Any more to the story you want to add?

619Glock3r
08-24-2007, 11:19
bump.........I need to hear of these 22lr rifle shooting incidents........

James Markov
08-26-2007, 06:40
I realize the .22 Ruger 10/22 rifle is a "poor man's assault rifle" at BEST, but in a rifle a CCI Stinger/Velocitor can be a useful gun. Shoot a water jug with either round and see-its not a BB gun power wise that some imply. Are there shooting reports involving .22 rifles?

JerryO
09-01-2007, 15:06
Whats the velocity of the .22 magnum in a 9.5 inch barrel?

Jim, your question doesn't have an easy answer.

First, you have to pick your bullet weight, then brand. And finally, where do you find a 9.5 inch barrel?

I bought a NAA black widow for my wife to carry (2 inch barrel), had a ruger single 6 (6 inch barrel) and bought a taurus mod 72 (16.5 inch barrel) as a home defense gun.

I found Federal gave me the best velocity, then CCI, then winchester.

The rifle gave
2100 fps with 30 gn
1800 fps with 40 gn
1550 fps with 50 gn

A 23 inch barrel added about 100 fps to the above readings.

The single six was something like 1100 (50 gr) to 1500 (30 gr)

The Black widow gave
930 (50 gr)
1100 (40 gr)
1200 (30 gr)
BUT, that is with the cylinder barrel gap quite tight. It was at least 100 fps less than this as delivered by NAA.

I took the rifle out when a coon was tearing up stuff on the deck. I found that the sights were useless, so I taped a lazer to the barrel. Then I could tell where the gun was pointing, but not what was there. So I taped a LED spot light on the other side of the barrel.

But my wife likes wild animals, so I bought a live trap. And the coon hasn't been back.

JerryO

James Markov
09-03-2007, 07:14
That was some good info JerryO. My question involving the .22 magnum's velocity in a 9.5 inch barrel stemmed from an earlier poster using one in that barrel length. My brother is very interested in the .22 magnum as a all around round-personally, I like it also, but often find the CCI Velocitor in the .22 long rifle to be adequate for me. How is that Taurus model 72 in terms of defensive use? Is it as handy as it sounds?

JerryO
09-04-2007, 18:38
How is that Taurus model 72 in terms of defensive use? Is it as handy as it sounds?

Since I was looking for something a lady in her late 60's could handle until she is in her 80's, I think that mod 72 is about the best I can do. Even .223 is not a good choice for her. She has had her eye lens replaced (cateract), a corneal transplant and surgery for a detached retina. She realy needs to avoid recoil. Even the action of a .22 auto seems to bother her.

Myself, I would use my mini 30, or buy a .308 pump or auto. It isn't an option for my wife.

And the .22 mag does hit a little harder than a .22 lr. I still have to decide on what bullet. As of now, I think the 40 grain at 1800 fps will be enough. Even if it is only 1/3 the weight/power of an M1 carbine bullet.

Oh, yes it is quite handy with its short barrel (16.5 inches).

JerryO

James Markov
09-13-2007, 21:34
You know one of my brothers has a Ruger lever action .22 magnum as a varmit/house gun. He has 40 grain hollow points in it-I do believe that gun has potential as a defense piece. As a benefit he can hit a dime with the gun at a distance so maybe a Taurus pump action is potent medicine for your situation. Thanks for the input.JM

spober
09-15-2007, 12:31
and the last time you were shot with a 22 lr of any brand? never o k .22 rimfire will kill.it will wound and at point blank range(as the requirment to justify self defence)plent of penitration by any medium standards.my wife is scared to shoot her 9mm and her 38 snub cause their too much.i feel a bobcat in 22 will be more to her liking.

spober
09-15-2007, 12:31
and the last time you were shot with a 22 lr of any brand? never o k .22 rimfire will kill.it will wound and at point blank range(as the requirment to justify self defence)plent of penitration by any medium standards.my wife is scared to shoot her 9mm and her 38 snub cause their too much.i feel a bobcat in 22 will be more to her liking.

spober
09-23-2007, 11:40
Originally posted by AKMIKEFMJ
I carry a Firestorm FS-22 on hikes or out in the yard. It is light and handy. The house gun is a M1 carbine....
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/fire2.jpg sweet i want something like that for yard carry.my yard is 2 acers.1 fully wooded then 1/2 wooded around the house.but theres everal acers of woods behind me.at any rate i traps threw the woods most every day.
i was thinking of a taurus 22 or beretta bobcat.this fs-22 looks alot like the walther ppk trp or somthing to that effect.im sure the firestorm 's cheaper by alot.

James Markov
09-23-2007, 19:00
Thats an awsome gun there....how does she shoot? Better yet how much does she weigh?

James Markov
10-15-2007, 23:37
:headscratch:

James Markov
11-21-2007, 21:05
Ok...never mind then.

BLY
12-07-2007, 07:57
I only read the first page, but that's a whole lot of stupid. (Not just the concept, but most everything written in the posts.)

That said, I wouldn't want to be shot by a .22LR either.
And in comparison, the .22LR will be much more effective out of a rifle than a pistol.

CajunBass
12-08-2007, 23:40
My wife has one of those Bersa Firestroms. Her's is exactly like the one in the picture. I don't know how many thousands of rounds she's run through it, but it's a bunch. With CCI mini-mags, it's 100%, but will choke from time to time on the Federal bulk stuff that runs fine in our Rugers. Other people have told me their F/S's run fine on anything so it seems to be like a lot of rimfire stuff, just a gun/ammo thing. We've never tried but a few different types in her's.

She got originally for her first CH. Nope, a 22 isn't the best but she had confidence in the gun and in her ability to hit with it, so it served her well. She never had to use it thank the Lord, but if she had, it would have been a lot better than crying and begging "Please don't hurt me." She carries a Glock 19 now, but she sure learned a lot with that little Bersa.

James, I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it's not heavy at all, even loaded. Accurate enough for what it's made for, but it's not a bull barreled target pistol. And it is just a lot of fun to shoot. She's got one extra magazine for it, and it was fairly expensive, twenty-eight bucks if I remember correctly, but it was the only one we could find, so we paid the freight, but that's the only downside to it.

Great little guns IMHO.

Ak.Hiker
12-09-2007, 18:42
Set up some blocks of wood and shoot your favorite 22 load into it. Take a look at how much penetration and damage to the wood that the 22 does. Than shoot some 357 magnum loads into the wood and compare the penetration and damage. You do not even need anything fancy just some American Eagle 158 grain softpoints will do. I doubt you will want to carry a 22 as a self defense gun after checking out the results.

James Markov
12-12-2007, 23:51
Set up some blocks of wood and shoot your favorite 22 load into it. Take a look at how much penetration and damage to the wood that the 22 does. Than shoot some 357 magnum loads into the wood and compare the penetration and damage. You do not even need anything fancy just some American Eagle 158 grain softpoints will do. I doubt you will want to carry a 22 as a self defense gun after checking out the results.

Actually, a .357 magnum, loaded with American Eagle 158 JSP rounds will over penetrate an elephant-these rounds DO NOT expand and will punch thru 2 neighbors houses'

Ak.Hiker
12-13-2007, 15:00
My point was to compare what a 22 does to what a plain generic 357 will do as far as damage. In wood the American Eagle 158 SP will expand. Of course the 158 SP in the 357 is not designed for self defence.

James Markov
12-22-2007, 22:21
True, the .357 is a nice self defense round. I have shot a lot of magnum rounds, to be sure. My dad for years had a Ruger Mark 2 pistol, loaded with CCI Stinger rounds. When the dog started barking he grabbed the gun, and heavens help anything out there causing mischief. The fastest, most reliable(meaning shooter accuracy) gun I shoot is the .22, followed by the 9mm, then the .45 acp. As a matter of fact, with my .22 I can hammer a target a lot quicker than with a heavy caliber weapon...

Aquanewt
01-05-2008, 22:07
I've been a P/O for entirely too long and I've seen knuckleheads hit with .38's 9mm and .40's fired by the 'good guys' get up and survive and people hit with .22's end up on a slab. Placement accounts for quite a bit as a graze with a .40 is, well a graze wound and a solid center mass or head shot with a .22 can be fatal. The larger calibers are more efficent, but the shooter with one gun that can use it is often more dangerous than the guy with a vault full. All that being said, I'm going to use a .40 caliber Glock and the Mrs has her own .38 that fits her hand and is loaded with 158 gr LSWHP. Both will leave more than a 'mark'

James Markov
01-09-2008, 00:28
One thing I shake my head at is in the new year of 2008 how ammo has soared in price-one of my many resolutions is to shoot more .22's in the coming year...

vafish
01-09-2008, 08:57
You know one of my brothers has a Ruger lever action .22 magnum as a varmit/house gun. He has 40 grain hollow points in it-I do believe that gun has potential as a defense piece.

The .22 magnum from a 20" rifle barrel will give you 2,000 fps or so with the 40 gr hollow points.

Thats about the same speed as the FN 5.7 gives when fired from a handgun.

There are those that think the FN FiveSeven handgun is the best thing since sliced bread. (I'm not one of them)

If you have to use a .22 for self defense I think a .22 magnum rifle is the best choice.

PS I can't believe that this thread has been going for over a year without getting locked over some stupid pissing contest.

Berto
01-09-2008, 12:53
If I HAD to, I could rely on a .22 and would shoot it a ****load for practice.
My Pop is a retired paramedic and seen plenty of DRT's from the rimfire.
It's nowhere close to ideal, but it certainly can work.
Like VA, I'd load Velocitors.

James Markov
01-16-2008, 22:50
With all centerfire ammo just jumping in price again, rimfires are what I shoot most now-and the Federal Bulk pack just went up a couple bucks. One day in the not too distant future, we will all be forced to shoot less rounds/less often due to the cost...
I think the fact that this is a rimfire forum means not too many of us here will rip on the .22 rimfire too badly, thus this thread tends to have people chew over ideas, and not each other as much.

Spydermonkey
01-17-2008, 03:01
CCI Stingers and Mini-Mags expanded larger and penetrated deeper out of my Walther P22 than my buddy's NAA Guardian .32 did with several types of ammo. The .32's didn't expand at all actually. Granted, we were shooting water jugs and thats not the same as ballistic gel or flesh, but the .22s expanded lager than the case width of the .32 and penetrated +1 jug of water more. I can't say that these pistols were a good test either since the barrels are so short but I wouldn't be scared to defend my home with just a .22 pistol.

James Markov
01-17-2008, 23:39
That was a well balanced report...

Spydermonkey
01-18-2008, 04:12
Yeah well I was 3 sheets but I think I made some sort of point. Maybe?

James Markov
01-19-2008, 23:30
Three sheets? Do you mean this maybe? :puking:

cphilip
01-20-2008, 06:48
...a 24-year-old man named Sirhan Sirhan stepped in front of the Senator and reportedly exclaimed "Kennedy, you son of a *****!" before firing an eight shot, .22 caliber Iver-Johnson Cadet revolver

That was Robert Kennedy. He was hit twice in the back and once behind the ear.

John NYPD
01-26-2008, 15:54
Not a big fan of using the .22 as a defense round.

I would not want to be on the business end of my Ruger Mark2. Loaded with 10 rounds of hollowpoints.

I rather use one of my center fire guns...but if all I had was a .22 . I could do O.K

John

James Markov
01-26-2008, 22:11
Took another walk thru the ammo department at WalMart and still shook my head at the big jump in the prices...Even CCI Stingers went up...

CanyonMan
01-30-2008, 16:33
sorry, made two entry's

CanyonMan
01-30-2008, 16:56
Hmmmm, I seem to recall a guy named John Hinckly who knocked down a secret service agent, a cop, scrambled James Brady's brain, and nearly killed President Reagan with a 22 revolver.

Another fairly famous case was 10 year old kid who shot two intruders with a 22 rifle. They broke into his rural home while his parents were away. Both died and they made a movie out of it.

I investigated an accidental shooting back in the 1970s. A guy who was about 6'6" and about 300lbs was accidently shot by his mother with a 22 rifle. She picked it up by the grip with her finger in the trigger guard and swung it his way to hand it to him. He yelled which startled her. She squeezed and shot him in the upper right chest. He told me it felt like someone hit him with a baseball bat. It knocked him flat and punctured a lung. He was lucky to survive.

Also was part of a task force back in the 70s looking for a guy who used a 22 rifle (Marlin 60) to hunt and kill 4 people. He would wait down the block and when they came out in the morning he would put one bullet in their head. 4 shots, 4 kills.

Two other experiences with 22s. One of the guys on our plaincloths surveillance team carried a Sterling model 302 in 22lr in his pocket as a backup. We were eating in a coffee shop early one morning when he reached into his right front pocket to get change for a tip. His pistol went off shooting himself in the left thigh. The bullet barely missed his femoral artery and left burns and powder tatoos on his *****. It also set his pants on fire which burned some pubic hair. It was kinda funny afterward.

Last story. One of our guys stopped a guy walking down the street near a drug house. It was winter and the guy had a large BDU feild jacket on. As our office approached the guy had a NAA mini revolver in his hand which was covered by his sleave. He shot our guy in the face hitting him in the upper cheek, just below the left eye. It knocked him down but the officer drew his gun when he hit ground and shot the guy in the shin. Backup officers killed the guy as he was trying to recock the little single action. The officer survived but had a broken cheek, damaged nerves in his face and lost the hearing in one ear since the bullet lodged in the ear canal.

Moral to all these stories...a 22 will hurt you, and you really need to avoid being shot with anything.

You are absolutely right..."A 22 will hurt you..."
I will add, will kill you, if placed properly, as "with any gun."

I am answering (for me), NO, IMO, to this threads' question.."does anyone use a 22for home SD..?" Because I do not think it wise for a home SD gun. That is why I have a 18" 12ga. coachgun, with #1 Buck in it, and then a 6 shot 45LC Ruger, hangin on the bed post.

BUT....... I have a thread over here some where as well, about the NAA 22 min mag revolver. That little guy stuffed with 22 MAGS, CCI maxi mag +V, comes out of the 1 5/8" tube at 1100/1200 fps, and is a great real deep cover, last ditch weapon for SD. One to the head is lights out time. A few inches over on the dear officer you mentioned, and that would have been it for him, most likely.
Thank God he is no worse off than what he is, but still hate to hear he was hurt at all......

22's can be bad news, I totaly agree... But not for in the dark in the house, night time "primary SD, to protect for the family guns."

A 12ga. will work even if you were shaking like a leaf, and at least pointed at the guy. I could not go the 22 route for night stand gun...

CanyonMan

CajunBass
01-31-2008, 22:19
Nice looking hawleg you got there CM.

CanyonMan
02-01-2008, 16:43
Nice looking hawleg you got there CM.

Why thank ya, CB ! ;)

It is an old style Ruger Vaquero 45LC in a custom El Paso Saddlery double loop mexican holster. It is my slap on in the morning and 'go to work wear' also. :supergrin:

BTW... I like your John 3:16 put in there. We need more of this !
Without Jesus, I'm a dead man.

Appreciate it CB.
Good shooting.

CM

James Markov
02-03-2008, 13:33
I have never fired a Ruger .45 colt single action revolver-how accurate are they? Also, do you have the Ruger 22/22magnum single six?

CanyonMan
02-03-2008, 16:53
I have never fired a Ruger .45 colt single action revolver-how accurate are they? Also, do you have the Ruger 22/22magnum single six?

James, I had it all typed out for ya, and i pushed the wrong button and BAM, all my work disappeared ???

I'll try once more:

Yes the Ruger SS Combo is a great fun and very accurate gun to shoot. You will not be dissipointed.

As for the Ruger 45's. I prefer the "old style Vaquero," as shown in the pic hanging on the log bed post. It will handle all my load needs from puffy, to about 1300fps. It is my daily ranch carry wear, and usually has 300gr cast bullets in it, and one snake shot rd. It is tuned, (via front sight filing), to shoot this load of 1150fps, at point of aim at 25yds. It will shoot "very accurate", at extremely long ranges as well, I mean "very long." Once you have fired tons of rounds through it, and know wear to place the front blade.

Other ones are tuned for 250/260gr cast, BTW, all these cast are 21BHN hardness, hardly a drop of fouling. Most all my Rugers in any given caliber, will shoot POA at 25, and all stay in a literal poker Chip size. Again, accuracy, at ranges I will not mention here, so i am not called a liar by some one, and then we got trouble, ;) are very good as well.

James the guns mentioned here, the Old style Vaquero, my favorite, and the Black Hawk, and even the New Vaquero, (the latter will only allow for 22,000psi = 1,000/1050fps). All these will shoot very accurately. The BH has a rear adjustable sight. The other two do not, and look more like the original Colt SAA, in design. Out of the box, with no cylinder, or throat work, before any of that, I have still had very good accuracy, "although," some of this MAY need to be done to your particular gun to bring the groups n tighter... no big cost, no big deal.... I been shooting the Rugers in their various forms and calibers for well over three decades, I am very pleased.

Hope this answers your questions.

Get one that will meet your shooting needs, and don't worry about it... They are built to last!

Since this is a 22cal thread I willadd the Bearcat is a great 22, as well as is the single six, and the semi auto's as well. Love the bearcat!

Good shooting

CanyonMan

CajunBass
02-03-2008, 21:13
I had one of those "Old Vaquero"'s in 45 Colt, years ago but like the numbskull I can be at times, I traded it off, unfired if I remember correctly.

I hate to think about the gun's I've had. :brickwall:

CanyonMan
02-04-2008, 13:31
Yep, you should not have done that one... But, I been there and done that my self. ;)

CM

CajunBass
02-05-2008, 02:27
Awww shoot. You haven't heard the sad part. :supergrin:

I got that Vaquero to go with a Bianchi "John Wayne" commerative holster I had. Well, the Ruger was too big for the holster so I got rid of the Ruger and got a Mitchell Arms SAA in 45 Colt. I didn't and still don't know a thing about Mitchell Arms, but the gun seemed to be well made and it sure looked good in that holster. I never fired it, and got it only to use as a prop in the JW holster.

I don't have either the Mitchell or the holster today. :rofl:

I have been SO fickle when it comes to guns. :brickwall:

On the other hand. I have had a lot of guns. :supergrin:

James Markov
02-21-2008, 21:29
Anyway how much are CCI Stingers these days(after the Wal-Mart price increases)?

sgtslwilson
02-21-2008, 22:47

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Guns/MVC-158F.jpg

wow, that looks very "Makarov-ee"

I want one. Where do I get one?

James Markov
02-24-2008, 07:22
You can get a Firestorm .22 I believe much easier-one of the posts here has one pictured...he carries it as a woods bumming gun.

sdsnet
02-24-2008, 08:15
I know but we have trouble of our own here, too. I want to move farther north again.

The NRA is our only friend in our preservation of firearms and self defense rights.;)

Don't forget GOA. They are our friends too.

James Markov
02-24-2008, 08:31
I picked up a box of .22 rimfire Remington Vipers at Dicks Sporting Goods recently and am curious if anybody here has taken small game with this particular round?

James Markov
02-24-2008, 09:28
One more comment i'd like to make is the number of people I have met recently who have a .22 rifle loaded with 40 grain lead(usually Remington Thunderbolts, or bulk pack stuff) behind the door as an emergency item. A lot of these friends of mine might own a 9mm Hi-Point, or a single shot 12/20 gauge, or a used Ruger 9mm but the majority have 22 rifles, occasionally a .22 pistol, and pump shotguns/single shot's too. I think we members here on these forums are much better armed than most folks out there.
I have seen this guy use a .22 rifle and pop a groundhog in a second-and their neighbor(Hampton Inn, which is in a semi rural setting) was none the wiser. He was in a technically rural enviroment and he had a 80 room hotel 200 feet next to him. My point in my rambles is this-the rimfire is what people end up using in a suprising number of defensive encounters. We all agree its not the best round out there, but where I live, most folks can afford to buy the gun(s), buy the ammo, and actually hit what target they are aiming at. Just some musings thats all...

James Markov
03-27-2008, 08:52
I am going to try some CCI Velocitors this weekend out of a Ruger 10/22-if the weather holds out. I will look at penetration, accuracy, etc. These rounds can smack HARD for a .22 rimfire...

edrobert
03-27-2008, 09:20
Having a gun and being able to hit what you're aiming at several times in quick succession is what's most important to me. Had my sister try many different pistols & revolvers for a first gun and she settled on a P22. I wanted her to get something bigger, but felt that in the end it was more important that she had something she was VERY confident with and could make several accurate shots in succession with.....we'll work on moving up in caliber with more training.

bunganga
03-28-2008, 00:59
Excuse me guys, but has anybody had any experience using CCI Quick-shoks? Supposedly, these are like Stingers that are pre-fragmented into 3 sections.

Thanks!

willw118
03-31-2008, 18:58
CCI Velositors sounds great. Now I want a new .22 Handgun. Berretta 21A, Walther P22, Or the Firestorm 22 ? I have a Buckmark, a Tauras 94. I had a Ruger and didn't like it.

edrobert
03-31-2008, 19:38
Excuse me guys, but has anybody had any experience using CCI Quick-shoks? Supposedly, these are like Stingers that are pre-fragmented into 3 sections.

Thanks!

Great concept, but best left for small game. Not nearly enough penetration to be remotely effective for SD.

chomann
03-31-2008, 23:00
I have an old 1976 Ruger new model single six... In a true SHTF situation its the first gun i pack up, 22lr ammo is everywhere, a 22lr is better to hunt small game with than a .40, and in an extreme situation you can walk up on the target and with proper shot placement obtain their firearms... also with its heavy construction and 5.5 inch barel you could literally beat the crap out of someone, after shooting then 6 times and never drop one casing!... the 22lr is the most underrated cartridge of all time

James Markov
04-02-2008, 10:35
Here's a link to various .22 rimfire preformance including the round you mentioned(Quick-Shok) out of a "mouse gun"
http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs27.htm

khillery
04-15-2008, 09:58
When I was fifteen back on the farm, a thin, sick pig had to be put down. He weighed about thirty five pounds. At fifteen feet with winchester HP .22 I shot him broadside into the classic lung area behind the front leg. I expected him to drop on the spot with my knowledge at the time.
He however then began running frantically in circles in great distress as you can imagine and a half dozen hits later he was still on his feet until a spine shot quieted him enough for me to then humanely dispatch the poor critter.
I am sorry that I ever experimented on a defensless live animal.
I hunt now, with revolvers, but I "use enough gun" and the proper distance and loads to take the game for food in a merciful fashion.
Hopefully the sight of a weapon would deter a home invader and that none of us ever has to face a decision like that.

James Markov
04-15-2008, 22:09
I have an old 1976 Ruger new model single six... In a true SHTF situation its the first gun i pack up, 22lr ammo is everywhere, a 22lr is better to hunt small game with than a .40, and in an extreme situation you can walk up on the target and with proper shot placement obtain their firearms... also with its heavy construction and 5.5 inch barel you could literally beat the crap out of someone, after shooting then 6 times and never drop one casing!... the 22lr is the most underrated cartridge of all time

You're probably the kind of guy who can hit a quarter with that old Ruger at 25 paces :cool:

James Markov
07-14-2008, 21:53
Anybody have 2 inch barrel rimfire revolver pics?

mossy500camo
07-15-2008, 09:22
Pat

Im laughing my ass off at some of the replies. I have heard more tales of the lowly .22lr being used in SD situations than any other caliber out there. And None that I have heard was You got to hit them in the eye man!

Question Would anyone here want to be shot with a .22lr.. I didnt think so!

I had an older gent tell me that his .22lr revolver was like an extended Ice Pick. Would anyone like to be jabbed with an Ice pick.. Ouch! Aim for the head, center of chest.

The .22lr can and will kill an attacker. So might as well aim for the kill or you will be paying for your attackers disabilities for the rest of your life.

CajunBass
07-16-2008, 11:54
Im laughing my ass off at some of the replies. I have heard more tales of the lowly .22lr being used in SD situations than any other caliber out there. And None that I have heard was You got to hit them in the eye man!

That was pretty funny.

mossy500camo
07-17-2008, 12:46
That was pretty funny.

Stick in their ear is even funnier.

and a .45 is the ultimate manstopper. I know a guy that was shot 7 times and is still alive to tell about it. Now thats funny.

MrMurphy
07-19-2008, 07:54
I've seen several people killed by .22. Not the round I'd pick but if it's what's at hand, use it. A 16-round string out of a Marlin Model 60 is better than harsh words, but if I had a choice, any service-caliber pistol, or even better, 12ga or 5.56mm.

bamarammin87
07-21-2008, 08:21
Yea. I believe that .22 would do the trick, but I'd rather put 7.62 in em. Or buckshot.

James Markov
10-01-2008, 22:22
Just picked up a 2 inch Taurus .22 revolver-I love it!!!

vafish
10-02-2008, 08:14
Just picked up a 2 inch Taurus .22 revolver-I love it!!!

If you get a chance, shoot some rounds over a chrono and post the results.

searcher66083
10-05-2008, 13:47
My wife uses a Ruger 10/22 for her HD gun. She has CCI Mini-mags for her round of choice. I am the primary HD weapon. I come armed with a G21sf, Remmy 870 tactical, and a G34 backup. I also come equipped with a lifetime of martial arts training. Something that my wife also comes with.

I have seen what little 22lr rounds can do to someone. They can take down some crazy animals down and I am sure they would work OK for HD, but they are only used in our house as a backup. 50 rounds of lr ammo can still make a BG have a super bad day.

wjv
10-06-2008, 23:47
If I had to use a rimfire, it would be this one: (Winchester 9422M - .22 Magnum)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/P1030249.jpg

Though now days it has a peep sight instead of a buckhorn.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/peep02.jpg

Midnmax
10-08-2008, 14:26
http://www.montysminiguns.com/briansmini.gif
http://www.montysminiguns.com/frame10.jpg

James Markov
10-21-2008, 22:27
If you get a chance, shoot some rounds over a chrono and post the results.

I need to invest in a chronograph, thats for sure. :cool:

searcher66083
10-22-2008, 07:14

I want one of those. at the very least I could have some fun scaring the crap out of the BG.:supergrin:

JFrame
10-22-2008, 10:31

From the way those photos are juxtaposed, it looks like the guy's wearing a head-mounted Gatling gun...Sort of reminds me of the shoulder-mounted blaster in Predator...

My mind's working kind of strange today... ;)

OVERTHEHILLGUY
11-04-2008, 18:13
WHEN I ATTENDED GUNSITE TRAINING CENTER THEY SAID:

THE KING OF BATTLE.........SHOT PLACEMENT.

THE QUEEN OF BATTLE......PENATRATION.

ANYTHING ELSE. CALIBER, PRICE OF HANDGUN, BULLET WEIGHT, VELOCITY OF BULLET AND BRAND OF HANDGUN............FAIRYS DANCENING ON THE POINT OF A NEEDLE

.:fred:OVERTHEHILLGUY:fred:

gunhobbyist
11-07-2008, 15:45
A .22 is better than nothing but shot placement really needs to be there for immediate incapacitation and more so than for a larger caliber. A .22 can cause what will eventually be a mortal wound. But the primary reason why one would shoot at someone in self defense and be justified (with LE and local prosecutor) is because the BG is armed with a deadly weapon. The goal is to incapacitate the BG ASAP before a weapon can be employed against you.

I was contemplating an inexpensive .22 revolver for introducing shooting to my wife. Has anyone had bad experiences with a Taurus 94?

bamarammin87
11-07-2008, 17:01
I thought this thread was dead. O and the taurus 94 that I shot wasn't very accurate or pretty, but it was functional. I would get a s&w 22a (I did) or a ruger mark 2, the less expensive .22 revolvers aren't very accurate.

soulless
11-08-2008, 19:17
anyone use a .17 hmr handgun? i think 17 hmr will do more damage than a .22 lr

bamarammin87
11-08-2008, 19:24
anyone use a .17 hmr handgun? i think 17 hmr will do more damage than a .22 lr

I've never used one but I always wanted one. Theyre awesome, but the bullet is half the weight so idk how it does on people compared to a .22. :dunno:

soulless
11-08-2008, 19:40

with this, you can take out 100's of BGs in seconds..minutes..

soulless
11-08-2008, 19:44
I've never used one but I always wanted one. Theyre awesome, but the bullet is half the weight so idk how it does on people compared to a .22. :dunno:

half the weight.. yes, but you should try shooting both and compare the damage.

I have a 22LR rifle and 17 hmr rifle. All using hallow points and the 17 HMR does a lot more damage. I remember shooting a fox squirrel in the torso and took it in half... :rofl: The 22LR is a lot weaker compared to the 17 hmr. check out the videos on youtube.com. You will see the 17 hmr tearing up small games like nothing.. it's actually an overkill for small games. I can easily take out foxes and coyotes with it too. Shoot a deer in the head and it will be a goner...

Some people argued with me that a 17hmr cannot kill a person effectively... Sure, maybe not, but i'm pretty positive a shot to the head will do it...:embarassed: the 17 hmr rifle is scary accurate..if it fails, i have my glock 27 and 12 guage 00 buck shot..

17 hmr = 2300+ FPS
22 LR = 1000-1200 FPS, i believe..

bamarammin87
11-08-2008, 20:14

I have a 22LR rifle and 17 hmr rifle. All using hallow points and the 17 HMR does a lot more damage. I remember shooting a fox squirrel in the torso and took it in half... :rofl: The 22LR is a lot weaker compared to the 17 hmr. check out the videos on youtube.com. You will see the 17 hmr tearing up small games like nothing.. it's actually an overkill for small games. I can easily take out foxes and coyotes with it too. Shoot a deer in the head and it will be a goner...

Some people argued with me that a 17hmr cannot kill a person effectively... Sure, maybe not, but i'm pretty positive a shot to the head will do it...:embarassed: the 17 hmr rifle is scary accurate..if it fails, i have my glock 27 and 12 guage 00 buck shot..

17 hmr = 2300+ FPS

i know the facts on it, just don't know about the people. My savage 93r-17 is my favorite rifle (after my AK) and I have shot SEVERAL coyotes and quite a few squirells, and a couple possums with it, and steel plating too. I believe the standard load is 2550 fps from hornady too btw. I just don't know how well it'd do thru clothing and in a person. It just about shot thru plating tho! I love that cartridge. Its too much for shooting squirrels tho if you dn't hit them in the head. It blows their legs off sometimes, and leaves the bottm half of their body hanging by a thread. I like the hollowpoints even better tho, I gotta find my pics of the damage it does to coyotes, because I always hit them in the neck. I'm sure it would kill a person, just don't know its effectiveness on people compared to a .22. Most criminals and thugs don't know what a .17 is:supergrin:

bamarammin87
11-08-2008, 20:15
My .17 only gun I use coyote hunting (my passion) even if some think its too small for it. I get laughed at by other coyote hunters when I tell them I only use a .17. They should try it themselves tho, even if they don't drop, they'l drop very soon if you make a good shot. It's just getting too dang high to shoot!

Porkchop
11-08-2008, 21:11

17 hmr = 2300+ FPS

totally agree.a head shot or a shot through the neck would no doubt end a humans life.I know i wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of a 17hmr

cloudbuster
11-14-2008, 11:55
I don't, but, I think a 4-6" .22WMR with 40-50gr.HP would probably do the job. Maybe a Grendel P30 if it could be made reliable.

Even with CCI Stingers or Velocitors, I believe the .22LR isn't quite up to the task.

just my .02

You'll never make the Grendel P-30 reliable, but there are a number of decent .22WMR revolvers out there, including an 8-shooter from Taurus.

Texas357
11-14-2008, 12:01
You'll never make the Grendel P-30 reliable, but there are a number of decent .22WMR revolvers out there, including an 8-shooter from Taurus.

I've talked to several Grendel owners who say the gun is 100% reliable, but very ammo-specific, i.e. it only likes one load from one mfr.

I think they should bring back the concept, keep the magazine size, but in .22LR, and tuned for bulk ammo.

cloudbuster
11-14-2008, 12:20
I've talked to several Grendel owners who say the gun is 100% reliable, but very ammo-specific, i.e. it only likes one load from one mfr.

I think they should bring back the concept, keep the magazine size, but in .22LR, and tuned for bulk ammo.

I've never owned a Grendel, but I own an AMT Automag II and it is definitely very, very ammo-specific (Winchester Super-X .22 Magnum) and having had years of experience with it, I take any claims of 100% reliability from P-30 owners with a grain of salt. The dimensions of the cartridge are just really poor for an autoloading handgun. And Grendel made notoriously shabby product. If you check around forums, the P-30 is widely regarded as a jammomatic.

But, an 8-round wheelgun is gonna be reliable. You want reliable in a .22WMR handgun, that's what you need to be going with. You want high-capacity, get rid of that sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock ;)

BTW, I also had a Magnum Research Mountain Eagle .22LR pistol which was in fact very similar to the P-30 but took high-cap (20-round) .22LR magazines. It was actually pretty darn reliable, and used a constant-tension leaf spring, but it had all-plastic magazines and when it was killed as a product by the Clinton-era gun bans, the magazines became impossilbe to find. I dumped mine after the first time I had one of my magazine's plastic feed lips break. The same gun with a metal-sleaved magazine (and a couple other key parts done in metal that were regrettably plastic) would have been pretty sweet.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
11-16-2008, 16:13
:wavey: As James Bond would say...."I always shoot them in the right eye and I never miss". :wow: :fred:OVERTHEHILLGUY:fred:

James Markov
11-17-2008, 07:06
with this, you can take out 100's of BGs in seconds..minutes..

Is that a .22 Minigun? Do you have a video link?

vafish
11-17-2008, 11:34

17 hmr = 2300+ FPS

.17 HMR does 2,550 fps from a rifle. But from a short handgun barrel does much less. Down around 1,000 fps IIRC. NAA used to have some ballistics data up on their web site, but it looks like they don't make the .17 Mini's anymore.

.22 LR drops down to about 700 fps from a short handgun barrel.

But the .22 bullet weighs more than twice the .17 HMR and will penetrate much deeper.

Out of a short barreled handgun I'll take a .22 LR over a .17 HMR any day.

Out of a rifle I'll take the .17 HMR over the .22 LR and .22 mag.

James Markov
02-12-2009, 18:48
I picked up a Walther P22 with a 3.5 inch barrel(I believe) and wow what a fun gun...

Dan
02-12-2009, 20:20

I own a S&W 317 Kit Gun, but not my home defense gun.

fuji
02-12-2009, 21:16
Okay here I go. I just picked up a lever action Henry. 22lr and it is slick as ____ if you ever get the chance to handle one it will come home with you.
My point is I can pump out 16 rounds and hold the zero just fine. Fast fire and you can still put them in the black even with the open sights. So the moral is I would have no problem sinking all those shots with a lever action and open no fancy sights.

I do not like to keep a loaded gun in the house so I do not use it for home defense but thought about it a lot. I know if someone broke in it would more than hurt.

Joe

Damn I have the G 27 in the night stand. I guess I lost my own argument. Why did I post. lol

mac66
02-13-2009, 11:55
Man, long thread. This thing started 2 years ago.:whistling:

paperairplane
02-13-2009, 23:45
...I know i wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of a 17hmr

What cartridge would you want to be on the receiving end of...?

I mean, I guess if I really had to pick something to get shot (modern cartridge) - maybe .22LR w/ rat shot...

He11 - I've been shot with a pellet gun, didn't like that much.

James Markov
02-14-2009, 08:50
Man, long thread. This thing started 2 years ago.:whistling:

Yea, but the concept is still a valid one-economically priced guns/ammo for defensive purposes. And the .22 rimfire fits that description...

Cross-X
02-14-2009, 09:31
Unless you have a physical disability, a .22 as a primary self-defense weapon is a joke.

wjv
02-15-2009, 00:27
Unless you have a physical disability, a .22 as a primary self-defense weapon is a joke.

Horse****. . .

Worked in an ER/Trauma Center. Worked on a Ambulance. Saw a lot of people killed by that "joke" of a .22LR.

The newer .22 ammo like the CCI Velocitor is a significant leap over prior .22 ammo. It is a full 40 grains bullet traveling at 1400+ fps, which in test after test expands to .32" minimum (usually more), retains 95% of it's weight, and penetrates very well.

Also, Bill Jordan disagrees with you. . .

And here is a review of the Velocitor ammo.

Velocitor Performance Test (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_12_48/ai_93317487/pg_1?tag=content;col1)

Blast
02-15-2009, 05:30
Let's not forget Robert Kennedy was killed with a .22 Iver-Johnson Cadet revolver.

Kennedy had been shot three times. One bullet, fired at a range of about 1 inch (2.54 cm), entered behind his right ear, dispersing fragments throughout his brain. Two others entered at the rear of his right armpit; one exited from his chest and the other lodged in the back of his neck.[28] Despite extensive neurosurgery at the Good Samaritan Hospital to remove the bullet and bone fragments from his brain, Kennedy died at 1:44 a.m. PDT, nearly 26 hours after the shooting. Five other people were also wounded: William Weisel of ABC News, Paul Schrade of the United Auto Workers union, Democratic Party activist Elizabeth Evans, Ira Goldstein of the Continental News Service and Kennedy campaign volunteer Irwin Stroll. Although not physically wounded, singer Rosemary Clooney, a strong Kennedy supporter, was present in the ballroom during the shooting in the pantry and suffered a nervous breakdown shortly afterward.

And there have been a number of instances where people have died within minutes of being shot as well as instantly, whether by accident or intentional.

Would I make a .22 my primary? No, but I'm a good enough shot to feel safe with one if it's all I got.

searcher66083
02-15-2009, 06:47
Since you brought up Kennedy, lets not forget that President Reagan was shot by Hinkley with a 22lr. I saw a thingthe other day that talked about it. Hinkley had some rounds called Devastators(I think) that were supposed to explode after penetration.

MrMurphy
02-15-2009, 07:09
A .22 would never be my first pick, but it's no joke.

Seen quite a few people shot up by every caliber and a .22 will certainly kill you in the right spots.

mac66
02-15-2009, 07:33
Yea, but the concept is still a valid one-economically priced guns/ammo for defensive purposes. And the .22 rimfire fits that description...

Yeah, but we covered this ground before, several times.

vetteman
02-15-2009, 18:54
I've got a 44 magnum so no need for me to use .22LR for home defense. But check out what 22LR fired from a rifle does to a gelatin block, if I had to use my 10/22, I would feel confident using it to defend myself but it still wouldn't be my first choice. A 22LR handgun I would not feel as confident with due to lower velocity and it would not be as accurate as a long gun and you do not have the larger caliber to compensate for the reduced accuracy of a handgun. If using 22LR to defend yourself, shot placement would have to be near perfect to a vital area. It is good to have a larger margin of error in a self defense situation so I prefer the larger calibers. A small fast moving bullet like the 17 HMR I would think would be likely to fragment and not penetrate deep enough.

James Markov
04-17-2009, 18:50
Anybody shoot the Federal "Spitfire" round?-I saw it for sale at Gander Mountain.

Bilbo Bagins
04-20-2009, 12:08

Let's not forget in these days of ammo shortages, and possible future ammo taxes or bans, having a rimfire weapon that can be used for defensive purposes is a wise move. I have this in mind when buying guns to pass down to my kids. Who knows what the gun landscape will be in 10 to 20 years from now. 9mm and 45 might be restricted like it is in South America, or it might be very expensive to buy. If ammo prices double, or even triple tomorrow, most people could still afford to buy a box of .22 ammo.

One thing I'm also seeing is a resurgence of .22lr firearms in gun stores. right now people either cannot afford or cannot find enough centerfire ammo to shoot on a regular basis.

K-DOG
05-03-2009, 15:13
I am late to this thread... but basically what others have said...

I have done more shooting with my .22lr guns the past year cause of the economy and just shortage of 9mm, .40 and .45. So I know I can place the rounds where needed.

I have no illusion of stopping power, I would grab just about anything in my safe before a .22lr.

But if it is all I had or all my wife would be willing to shoot I would not feel too undergunned.

Varghedne
05-04-2009, 16:22
If a.22 was the only firearm I had for home defence it would still be my backup. My primary would be my machete.

Texas357
05-05-2009, 09:41
If a.22 was the only firearm I had for home defence it would still be my backup. My primary would be my machete.

I don't know... using the .22 repeatedly until they are within machete-range would probably make them easier to hit with the machete.

Bilbo Bagins
05-05-2009, 10:32

Can we add this to the dumb comment thread

At an distance, you would be gunned down with a hail of .22lr rounds to your head and chest, while you hold that machete. One .22 round from a cheap revolver to the head for Brady, a machete would not have helped him either.

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://bp2.blogger.com/_Zh3f435e6vE/R6ZEtve4H_I/AAAAAAAABLA/S8onQnjwC4Y/s320/JamesBradyShot.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHrVtvmtL2NvdflweVTqCZZ6ojY1g

bob_fuller
05-06-2009, 19:50
it might work, but i'd still reach for the 12 gauge any day.

Blast
05-07-2009, 04:51
With .22, head and groin area are best targets. Head for obvious reason, and groin because of the concentration of major blood vessels and nervous system.

Billet
05-07-2009, 07:58
We used to keep the P22 loaded with Stingers close at hand when Mrs. Billet wasn't experienced enough to rely on our 9mm. A .22 is very controllable during rapid fire, and putting ten rounds inside a very small vital area is not too tough for a good shooter. One round of .22 might not stop someone, but getting peppered by ten well-placed Stingers is a different story.

joedapro
05-08-2009, 21:28

practice your jam clearing skills. the reason for the 25 auto was not better balistics. it was far more reliable.

i would not use a rimfire for self defense. i compete in rimfire matches and there are many alibies for ammo failure compared to almost none for centerfire ammo.

James Markov
05-10-2009, 08:57
Are the alibies for jamming, ammo failure, or something else? Curious...I know Cci Minimags are a reliable round...

vafish
05-11-2009, 11:24
practice your jam clearing skills. the reason for the 25 auto was not better balistics. it was far more reliable.

i would not use a rimfire for self defense. i compete in rimfire matches and there are many alibies for ammo failure compared to almost none for centerfire ammo.

You got to quit shooting such cheap ammo.

I coach junior rifle teams and I can't remember seeing a misfire from a round of Wolf or Eley .22LR ammo. That's 16 kids each firing about 5,000 rounds a year for the last 8 years. Now the beginner kids shooting the cheap stuff, I see quite a few.

Texas357
05-11-2009, 13:22
You got to quit shooting such cheap ammo.

I coach junior rifle teams and I can't remember seeing a misfire from a round of Wolf or Eley .22LR ammo. That's 16 kids each firing about 5,000 rounds a year for the last 8 years. Now the beginner kids shooting the cheap stuff, I see quite a few.

Are those on the same guns? I'm told that some competition rimfire guns have the striker hitting the rim in 2 places, to reduce the probability of the striker hitting a gap in the priming....

James Markov
06-28-2009, 20:20
Ely priming is more reliable so I have heard

pmwglock19
07-02-2009, 18:47
There was a youtube video showing someone shooting a 10/22 in the house thru a couple of phonebooks. There was definitely enough penetration that it could be used for HD. But in my opnion, no matter what you shoot: placement, placement, placement is what counts.

ATL Peach Girl
07-05-2009, 00:17
I have a Walther P-22 and I do have some "varmit" ammo for it, the kick is notably stronger with the varmit stuff in it. I think it is CCI Mini-mags........I'd have to look at the box again.

I also have a .25 Phoenix Arms Raven.......

Can someone verse me in this "stinger" ammo for the P-22??

vafish
07-05-2009, 06:22
Are those on the same guns? I'm told that some competition rimfire guns have the striker hitting the rim in 2 places, to reduce the probability of the striker hitting a gap in the priming....

Firing pins only hit in one place on target rifles that I have seen.

G26man
07-05-2009, 11:10
I have a Walther P-22 and I do have some "varmit" ammo for it, the kick is notably stronger with the varmit stuff in it. I think it is CCI Mini-mags........I'd have to look at the box again.

I also have a .25 Phoenix Arms Raven.......

Can someone verse me in this "stinger" ammo for the P-22??
Stinger is a brand name for a hypervelocity round made by CCI. They typically come in blue plastic boxes of 50. The brass casing is slightly extended and the bullet is shorter (29gr I believe instead of the normal 40gr) to make the opverall length of the entire round the same as a typical 22lr.

My philosophy is not to use lightweight "varmit" rounds like Stingers or Quick-Shok for home defense. I don't think they would have enough penetration to reliably reach vital organs in a human. They are made for violent expansion to blow up in very small animals. If I had to use a .22 for home defense I would use CCI Velocitors. They are the most powerful .22lr rounds available with a full weight hollowpoint bullet.

CCI mini-mags (btw they aren't "varmit ammo") would be my next choice for HD. Not only are they also more powerful than most (just not as much as the Velocitors) but also because CCI is a top notch manufacturer and their ammo is much more reliable (fewer "duds") than other brands IMO.

JFrame
07-05-2009, 11:58
Stinger is a brand name for a hypervelocity round made by CCI. They typically come in blue plastic boxes of 50. The brass casing is slightly extended and the bullet is shorter (29gr I believe instead of the normal 40gr) to make the opverall length of the entire round the same as a typical 22lr.

My philosophy is not to use lightweight "varmit" rounds like Stingers or Quick-Shok for home defense. I don't think they would have enough penetration to reliably reach vital organs in a human. They are made for violent expansion to blow up in very small animals. If I had to use a .22 for home defense I would use CCI Velocitors. They are the most powerful .22lr rounds available with a full weight hollowpoint bullet.

CCI mini-mags (btw they aren't "varmit ammo") would be my next choice for HD. Not only are they also more powerful than most (just not as much as the Velocitors) but also because CCI is a top notch manufacturer and their ammo is much more reliable (fewer "duds") than other brands IMO.

Another point to make for Stingers is that, for myself at least, they tend to be very reliable in the semi-autos I've used (of course, YMMV). I don't know if it's because Stingers run "hotter" than your typical .22 LR's, or it's an inherent indication of quality in the CCI brand (as referenced by G26man's comment), or both.

G26man
07-05-2009, 12:30
Another point to make for Stingers is that, for myself at least, they tend to be very reliable in the semi-autos I've used (of course, YMMV). I don't know if it's because Stingers run "hotter" than your typical .22 LR's, or it's an inherent indication of quality in the CCI brand (as referenced by G26man's comment), or both.
It's both. Hotter ammo like stingers or even mini-mags are also good to break in a new semi-auto with. Sometimes new guns need to be worn in before they will cycle normal bulk pack ammo reliably. Some guns have actions that are so stiff or rough due to poor engineering or manufacturing that they won't reliably cycle with normal ammo even after break in and you always have to pay for mini-mags or something even more expensive / powerful.

Bilbo Bagins
07-06-2009, 12:43
I would go with CCI Velocitor over Stingers. Stingers' Hollowpoint does work well in that they do mushroom, but at a cost of limited penetration. Goldenloki did gel test using a Taurus Pt-22 pocket gun and got full expansion to .357" but only got 6.9" of penetration. The Walther P22's barrel is about 3/4" longer than a PT22 so you might get slightly better results.
http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/22lr/gel22lr.htm

Here is a good Walther P22 Gel Test. Except for walmart bulkbox everything exceeded the FBI 12" gel penetration test.
http://www.brassfetcher.com/WaltherP22test.html

G26man
07-06-2009, 16:39
Hey Peachie, do you know where I can get a bumper sticker of your avatar? If not do you have a higher res version? Thanks!

mac66
07-07-2009, 07:07
This thread is now 34 months old. :dunno::supergrin:

JFrame
07-07-2009, 07:38
This thread is now 34 months old. :dunno::supergrin:

Ah -- but the .22 rimfire is timeless... :cool:

Cruiser702
07-07-2009, 08:45
If you like CCI Stinger and Velocitor rounds check out the new Winchester Super-X HYPER Speed HP load. (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/07/04/winchester-hyper-speed-hp-and-new-555-round-bulk-pack/)

IV Troop
07-22-2009, 17:32
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/glock18004.jpg

IV Troop
07-22-2009, 17:34
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/008-2.jpg

IV Troop
07-22-2009, 17:36
I have a few .22 handguns around the house and would not hesitate to use one.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/ColtHuntsmanWalther001.jpg

IV Troop
07-22-2009, 17:38
West German Walther PP. In my eyes, a beauty.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/039.jpg

darwin25
07-22-2009, 20:46
Let's not forget Robert Kennedy was killed with a .22 Iver-Johnson Cadet revolver.

But Robert Kennedy is a sissy.:cool:

Nytemare
07-22-2009, 20:54
Not only NO, but Eff You See Kay NO! I dont gamble, especially with my life. There is no reason to use .22 as home defense other than, "I don;t wann hurt the poor home invader."

James Markov
07-31-2009, 16:08
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/glock18004.jpg

Is that gov't issue?

G26man
07-31-2009, 21:39
Not only NO, but Eff You See Kay NO! I dont gamble, especially with my life. There is no reason to use .22 as home defense other than, "I don;t wann hurt the poor home invader."
There might be better tools, but it can do the job. I think a .22 semi auto carbine would be just the ticket for some people intimidated by handguns or larger calibers. Easy to aim and capable of putting out a devastating rate of fire. Good granny gun.

JFrame
08-01-2009, 05:37
There might be better tools, but it can do the job. I think a .22 semi auto carbine would be just the ticket for some people intimidated by handguns or larger calibers. Easy to aim and capable of putting out a devastating rate of fire. Good granny gun.

Yup...Consider every instance where some unarmed elderly person or other relatively helpless person was brutalized by home invaders...Now, put a 10/22 in the victim's hands and the ability to use it -- and see how the outcome changes...

'

lanternlad
08-01-2009, 10:06
Would I use a .22? In a heartbeat - tho I'd prefer a .22mag to a .22lr. I carry a NAA Mini in .22 mag now (BUG) and my wife carries one too. It clips into my pocket like a pocket knife and is at the ready if I need it.

pmwglock19
08-08-2009, 17:07
The gun shop I frequent got in 3 NAA revolvers and all 3 were sold inside of 2 days. One was suppose to be the owner's.

Scouse
08-08-2009, 18:13
My Daughter is not a gun person, but lives in country, in Florida, I will teach her how to load and fire my 10-22.

Give it to her and show how to shoot people!

tshadow6
08-09-2009, 20:20
During the first riots in Miami in 1980, my cousin loaded his 10-22 and drove to his girlfriend's house to protect her. He still tells that story and he never says,"I wish I had something bigger." He was happy just to be armed. No shots were fired, nor did any rioters show up in the part of town they were in.
True story.

JFrame
08-09-2009, 20:52
During the first riots in Miami in 1980, my cousin loaded his 10-22 and drove to his girlfriend's house to protect her. He still tells that story and he never says,"I wish I had something bigger." He was happy just to be armed. No shots were fired, nor did any rioters show up in the part of town they were in.
True story.

When confronted by someone armed with a 10/22, the bad guy is more likely to say:

a) "He11 -- it's only a .22...We can take him!"

or

b) "Oh, crap -- he's got a gun!!!"

:whistling:

Bilbo Bagins
08-10-2009, 07:08
When confronted by someone armed with a 10/22, the bad guy is more likely to say:

a) "He11 -- it's only a .22...We can take him!"

or

b) "Oh, crap -- he's got a gun!!!"

:whistling:

If the Bad Guy picked A) he would definately win a Darwin Award. :rofl:

I like what others have said about a "granny gun". I think no one is suggesting that everyone sell off their 1911 and AR because you can do the same thing with a .22lr, but for folks who cannot handle or afford a centerfire handgun or rifle, a 22lr will get the job done.

slewfoot
08-10-2009, 07:35
Yup...Consider every instance where some unarmed elderly person or other relatively helpless person was brutalized by home invaders...Now, put a 10/22 in the victim's hands and the ability to use it -- and see how the outcome changes...

'

I agree.

lanternlad
08-11-2009, 03:30
This link is very interesting...

Lethality of the .22
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504301&fpart=1

mboylan
08-11-2009, 12:33
This link is very interesting...

Lethality of the .22
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504301&fpart=1

No one doubts the lethality of a .22. Most victims die from internal bleeding.

The point of a self defense round is to take out your attacker before he takes you out. Stopping power is everything.

Nothing beats a shotgun for home defense. A 20 GA loaded with #1 will do the job well, without a ton of recoil.

Local150
08-24-2009, 21:19
In perspective. I would rather have a larger caliber weapons than a .22lr but if it is all I own then oh well. On the same note that is to say I would rather have a baseball bat than nothing at all. I would rather have a katana than a baseball bat. I don t think you have to worry about one of those jamming on you either.

Scouse
08-25-2009, 04:19
The twenty two is an awesome round (the smaller the nose, the deeper it goes)

My Uncle Basil in WW11 a couple of days after landing in France took cover in a shell hole, in a field, as the sun rose higher he was targeted by what turned out to be a Hitler Youth (in uniform!) early teen. Weapon was a single shot target rifle.

The sniper was in a tree, about 100yds away (Basil said) the only part of his body that could be seen was his arm, it was shot more than once, the bone of the forearm (right arm) shattered.

He was joined in his crater by a Bren Gunner when the Sun had turned the hole into deep shadow. The LMG gunner worked out the location of the sniper, and a burst of .303 dropped him out of the tree. My cousins told me a swing from dad's false arm was an attention getter.

James Markov
09-01-2009, 21:13
In this economy, the .22 is all most folks can afford to shoot a lot...

JFrame
09-02-2009, 06:32

Yup -- that was always one of the compelling reasons to shoot .22's... And it has become even more compelling during this presidential cycle...

Scouse
09-02-2009, 07:29
Took a couple of Ladies out to shoot various hand guns, small ones first.

.22 Walther Inter-arms, 6 misfires out of twenty shots!

Big dent, no bang. OK from a 10-22 Rifle, not so good from pistol.
From a rifle .22 awesome penetrator, read a report, 250 yards, right through a half frozen turkey, wrapped in some clothing.

Bilbo Bagins
09-02-2009, 07:49

+1 When everything went nutz I started getting more interested in rimefire. After years of not owning a single .22 firearm, I now have 2 with more in the works, including a conversion kits, and I joined www.rimfirecentral (http://www.rimfirecentral).

JFrame
09-02-2009, 07:55
+1 When everything went nutz I started getting more interested in rimefire. After years of not owning a single .22 firearm, I now have 2 with more in the works, including a conversion kits, and I joined www.rimfirecentral. (http://www.rimfirecentral.)

Brilliant minds think alike, Bilbo -- I just joined RFC two days ago... :)

I have discovered the crazy and addictive joy of building 10/22's...Am currently working on a project that will have the Rhinelandarms Leopard stock as the base. I'm debating on the barrel, but am leaning toward a Tactical Solutions fluted and threaded barrel (threaded on the remote chance that I might want to stick a can on it later...).

Of course, scoping the baby will be a whole 'nother universe unto itself... ;)

Broncbuster
09-02-2009, 17:51
I went from owning one .22 to owning 4. It is nice to go out and shoot and only spend $20 instead of $100. Still like my larger cailbers but the lil rimfires are growing on me.

GSSF17
09-02-2009, 18:06
I have discovered the crazy and addictive joy of building 10/22's...Am currently working on a project that will have the Rhinelandarms Leopard stock as the base. I'm debating on the barrel, but am leaning toward a Tactical Solutions fluted and threaded barrel (threaded on the remote chance that I might want to stick a can on it later...).

I found the intoxicating appeal of the 10/22 as well here recently.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1098613

I have many .22s in both pistols and rifles, but just recently did the Ruger 10/22 project. Quite addicting -- I kept it simple and not super-expensive. But a 500 dollar rifle that shots 10 rounds through the SAME hole in the target at 50 yards is just friggin awesome.

And cheap. I take the Walther P22, Buckmark, 10/22, Marlin 60, etc, and can shoot for 3 hours and never get bored. All for less than 15 bucks worth of ammo. I dig it :supergrin:

And back to the point of the thread- The P22 is the wife's gun, and loaded with stingers, gives her peace of mind as a self defense pistol if the /357 revolver is out of reach.

JFrame
09-02-2009, 18:34
I found the intoxicating appeal of the 10/22 as well here recently.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1098613

I recall now when you worked on that 10/22 -- even managed to kibbitz a little bit on that thread... :supergrin:

I must say you did some really nice work on that rifle, and the fruit of all your labor was evident in the final product... :)

GSSF17
09-02-2009, 20:05
I recall now when you worked on that 10/22 -- even managed to kibbitz a little bit on that thread... :supergrin:

I must say you did some really nice work on that rifle, and the fruit of all your labor was evident in the final product... :)

Thanks. Taken to heart and much appreciated. Hope to upstage that one here before too long.........:whistling:

Safe shooting, everyone!

american lockpicker
09-02-2009, 22:20
At one time I had a Ruger Mk II with .22 Remington Vipers for protection. I used that round because it has the best penetration.

James Markov
09-05-2009, 07:12
Anybody shoot the Aguila super hyper velocity round they have out lately? I think its the fastest .22 long rifle in the world right now, faster than the CCI Stinger!

robertoh
09-05-2009, 15:19
I recently bought a Heritage single/six revolver and only shoot .22 mags in it and use it for home defence with soft nose bullets.
My second and back up is my Ruger PC4.
I would use the Heritage first bacause a handgun is a lot easier handling in the home in an emergencey I'd think.

Regular Joe
09-10-2009, 04:16
I think the matter of defense and the .22 depends on the range. Up close, the bad guy may not realize he's been hurt bad until he has hurt you worse. From a distance though, with a scoped rifle, I put a whole bunch of faith in the .22 LR. If you have time and room enough to properly aim, a quick double pop from a .22 rifle can produce a wound channel very similar to that of a 9mm HP. 2 fast rounds to just about anywhere in the neck will take the bad guy out of the fight. If you have time to aim for a major joint, like an ankle, knee or shoulder, the assailant is nullified. 2 fast shots to the groin will likely cause him to wet his pants for the last time.
In the house, my Glock 19 is boss. At any range from 10 to 100 yards, I trust my .22 rifles to prove any ballistic points that may need to be proven.

JFrame
09-10-2009, 06:10
I think the matter of defense and the .22 depends on the range. Up close, the bad guy may not realize he's been hurt bad until he has hurt you worse. From a distance though, with a scoped rifle, I put a whole bunch of faith in the .22 LR. If you have time and room enough to properly aim, a quick double pop from a .22 rifle can produce a wound channel very similar to that of a 9mm HP. 2 fast rounds to just about anywhere in the neck will take the bad guy out of the fight. If you have time to aim for a major joint, like an ankle, knee or shoulder, the assailant is nullified. 2 fast shots to the groin will likely cause him to wet his pants for the last time.
In the house, my Glock 19 is boss. At any range from 10 to 100 yards, I trust my .22 rifles to prove any ballistic points that may need to be proven.

Interesting perspective -- good food for thought...

G26man
09-10-2009, 09:08
I recently bought a Heritage single/six revolver and only shoot .22 mags in it and use it for home defence with soft nose bullets.
I would use the Heritage first bacause a handgun is a lot easier handling in the home in an emergencey I'd think.
I'd take the semi auto carbine over the single action pistol. Our troops clear houses with rifles every day, it just takes training to do it "safely". The carbine will be more accurate even at room sistances, fire several times faster and a hot .22lr out of an 18" barrel is not far off a .22mag from a pistol.

Broncbuster
09-10-2009, 12:08

I have a few Heritages I keep loaded up with .22 mags. While my EDC is a Glock 30,21 or 19, I still keep a few of the Heritages in different locations around the house as a "just in case" that may aid in getting me to my larger caliber in an emergency situation.
For roughly $150 I can't see not having a few laying around in the cabinets and end tables.

James Markov
10-04-2009, 12:21
Is a lighter bullet best when shooting the .22 magnum out of a pistol? Say a 34 grain hollow point load?

mboylan
10-04-2009, 13:19
No. Your only hope is penetration and perfect shot placement. So as heavy a bullet as you can go and as tough as you can go. Most often any cartridge up to and including .380 ACP needs to use FMJ bullets to have a chance in hell of penetrating enough. Exceptions are the super premium .380 bullets.

.22 Mag is a really bad idea even for a BUG. Better than nothing but still.

Scamp
10-04-2009, 16:06

Thats a sweet gun right there, what kind of scope is that?

James Markov
10-16-2009, 14:52
What is the opinion here on the heritage arms rough rider? Acceptable quality?

Brucev
10-16-2009, 17:13
I just now caught this thread. As far as a .22LR goes for SD/HD, if it is what you have on hand or can afford, use it. As a newly married student in seminary I worked as a security guard at night in a shipyard. I usually had no real problems getting intruders to leave the property. There was however one particularly bad incident during which several intruders opened fire on me. At the time, I had very little money. I bought and carried a good folding knife and a Ruger Mk. I loaded with HP ammo. I practiced shooting rats behind the work buildings. Since they seldom sat still, it forced me to get used to shooting fast. I got pretty good at hitting the things out to maybe 20-25 yds. Up close I think it would have been very effective on anyone who might have come at me. The pistol was what I planned to use if necessity demanded it. If the Ruger didn't settle things, I figured to use the knife. It is amazing what one can do with a good knife.

Both my wife and my daughters have learned to shoot handguns and rifles. My wife has learned to use even a .45 ACP effectively. She is comfortable with the Glock G-22 that we currently use for HD. My daughters are not wild about handguns, but both of them are extremely capable with a .22 LR revolver or pistol. A .22 LR handgun is not the ultimate SD/HD weapon. But it is a good choice for many who need such a weapon and who for whatever reason find a larger caliber weapon not to be an option. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

James Markov
10-17-2009, 12:09
I will say this if you do not have a .40 caliber pistol(Which Walmart has a plentiful supply of ammo) say you have a 9mm, 380, 357 magnum or .45 acp Walmarts for many miles in my area have NO ammo to sell. Sure you can pay double price elsewhere, if you can find it but when is the next time you can afford to shoot a centerfire ammo gun? Its a drought out there, so .22's are the only economical ammo anymore...

GSSF17
10-17-2009, 16:27
I will say this if you do not have a .40 caliber pistol(Which Walmart has a plentiful supply of ammo) ....... .22's are the only economical ammo anymore...

You cannot buy any .40 at walmarts in south central FL.

It's unreal. .22 is all I shoot anymore.:dunno:

James Markov
10-18-2009, 12:29
All we have is oceans of .40 caliber plus some .22's. Ocasionally we get some 9mm or .45 acp and some .38 specials. No .380 to be seen period. Once ammo production gets ramped up further look out! Sales galore I hope...:cool:

Faulkner
10-18-2009, 17:12
When I travel out of town my wife prefers my Ruger MKII with Tactical Solutions PAC LITE upper as her primary weapon of choice. It is very accurate and very reliable.

Usually loaded with Stingers, she is very comfortable and capable with this weapon even though she has a .38 snub she shoots quite well. I think the main reason she prefers the .22 is because since we live out in the county there are multiple targets of opportunity that come up, not just bad guys. She is more likely to have to deal with snakes, dogs, coyotes, raccoons, 'possums, and such, and she has dispatched at least one of each at variuos times.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/2120947/296826184.jpg

den888
10-26-2009, 22:46
My first gun was given to me in 1982 (I was under 21 years old at that time) by a family member. It was a Colt Trooper in .22LR. I loaded it with .22LR CCI Stingers for my first HD gun.

Bilbo Bagins
10-27-2009, 07:00
My first gun was given to me in 1982 (I was under 21 years old at that time) by a family member. It was a Colt Trooper in .22LR. I loaded it with .22LR CCI Stingers for my first HD gun.

I am putting money aside to buy .22 revolvers for my daughters (the oldest is 10) I would love for them to have a quality steel DA .22lr revolver with a 3" to 4" barrel like the Colt Trooper, the Ruger SP-101 or the S&W Model 63. Unfortunately all have been discontinued except for the S&W 63 but that only comes in a 5" barrel. S&W also re-introduced the Model 18 with the 4"bbl but at an MSRP of over $1,000 I rather take my chances on the used market. I like them to have something that will last several lifetimes, and they can uses as a trainer, for home defense in a pinch, and something they can hopefully teach my grandkids to shoot with.

Scouse
10-27-2009, 07:11
I am putting money aside to buy .22 revolvers for my daughters (the oldest is 10) I would love for them to have a quality steel DA .22lr revolver with a 3" to 4" barrel like the Colt Trooper, the Ruger SP-101 or the S&W Model 63. Unfortunately all have been discontinued except for the S&W 63 but that only comes in a 5" barrel. S&W also re-introduced the Model 18 with the 4"bbl but at an MSRP of over $1,000 I rather take my chances on the used market. I like them to have something that will last several lifetimes, and they can uses as a trainer, for home defense in a pinch, and something they can hopefully teach my grandkids to shoot with.

Good luck on the second hand search, people hang on to those little gems.

Fishslayer
11-03-2009, 13:37
.22 HP on target > .45 that misses.

sigsauermaniac
11-03-2009, 13:43
no. at least,not as MAIN,but i keep my ruger 22-45 beside my G22 in my fast access vault under the bed LOADED with the trigger safety on.

racoons or varmints scratching my backdoor will get a pea as welcome gift.

http://i30.tinypic.com/nmyctl.jpg