G33 Vs Deer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G33 Vs Deer

baker1004
11-25-2006, 21:03
Well I always wanted to get a shot at a whitetail deer with my Glock and I did yesterday. About 10 yards in the head. I was using Hornady Custom Ammo. 124 Grains. Really suprised me what it done to the deer, needless to say it went nowhere. I got some great pics but they are really graphic so I wont be posting them. Really makes me believe in this caliber. Can't wait till tax season for my new one ;)

ede
11-25-2006, 21:14
my son has talked about getting a G33 for deer. he's real unhappy with the preformance of the .40 on deer.

glockinload
11-25-2006, 21:16
If you shot the deer with a 9mm in the head it wouldn't have gone anywhere either. You guys are cruel hunting deer with glocks. Glocks aren't made for deer hunting.

baker1004
11-25-2006, 21:21
Originally posted by ede
my son has talked about getting a G33 for deer. he's real unhappy with the preformance of the .40 on deer.

I also have an XD-40. never had the opportunity to shoot a deer with it. I reload for it using hornady XTP's. Since I got my Glock though I have kinda neglected my XD.

Tac Four
11-25-2006, 21:27
The only Glock I would hunt with would be a G20.

The 357 SIG just can't shoot the hot and heavy loads used in a .357 Magnum revolver for hunting deer .

stingray4540
11-25-2006, 21:31
Interesting weapon choice...

glockinload
11-25-2006, 21:31
Originally posted by Tac Four
The only Glock I would hunt with would be a G20.

I admit the 10mm has the power. But why not just use a rifle. Much higher velocity and better accuracy.

T. Harless
11-25-2006, 21:32
Originally posted by baker1004
.....Really suprised me what it done to the deer......

All I need to know.

YoungShooter86
11-25-2006, 21:36
I cannot help but be more inclined to use my SKS instead of any handgun for a good deer, but who am I to lecture you on the lower margin of error pistols afford you when you dropped it dead in its tracks? And you disrupted less edible meat(unless you think deer brain is tasty) with that shot.

Enjoy the venison,

YS

ssgrock3
11-25-2006, 21:54
a deer in the head with a sub compact, dang son were in a tree stand? or what?

cphilip
11-25-2006, 22:06
Originally posted by YoungShooter86
I cannot help but be more inclined to use my SKS instead of any handgun for a good deer, but who am I to lecture you on the lower margin of error pistols afford you when you dropped it dead in its tracks? And you disrupted less edible meat(unless you think deer brain is tasty) with that shot.

Enjoy the venison,

YS

Recon you would have a field day with Bow Hunters then?

Me? I drop down on em out of a tree with a bowie knife. Don't get many but sure is exciting! :tongueout:

ny rifleman
11-25-2006, 22:21
I been wanting to shot a deer with my .40 g22. But I just learned glocks aren't for shooting deer. W*T*F are they non sporting arms. Guess we better get them banned.

T. Harless
11-25-2006, 22:22
Originally posted by cphilip
....Me? I drop down on em out of a tree with a bowie knife. Don't get many but sure is exciting! :tongueout:

Sporting is naked in the woods mano a mano. Nothing like getting your ass kicked by a white tail.

MOHAA Player
11-25-2006, 22:38
Originally posted by cphilip
Recon you would have a field day with Bow Hunters then?

Me? I drop down on em out of a tree with a bowie knife. Don't get many but sure is exciting! :tongueout: http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h27/Mohaaplayer/th-02_72dpi.jpg

degoodman
11-25-2006, 23:11
Congratulations of successfully killing a deer with a G33 to the head.

Now please never do it again.

Service caliber hadnguns are not the proper tool for taking game animals, and generally speaking head shots are not the preferred shot either. Sure a shot to the brain is fatal, but miss that by a precious small margin, and you blow off the deer's lower jaw, and it dies of slow starvation by not being able to eat, or you send one through it's neck, and it dies of infection or starvation. I've more than once spent a tag on such an animal to clean up mistakes by losers who try this crap.

There's a reason the preferred shots are through the thorassic cavity through the heart or lungs. There is margin of error through the chest, and a properly delivered shot WILL be fatal within a finite amount of time. If you hit the heart or lungs, the animal will die from the wound, even if you can't track and recover the animal. Miss another smaller target, and the animal is in for a prolonged death.

Take a minute to examine your hunting ethics, and take the lesson to heart. Just because something can be done legally does not mean it should be done morally.

Armchair Commando
11-25-2006, 23:39
Originally posted by ede
my son has talked about getting a G33 for deer. he's real unhappy with the preformance of the .40 on deer. Sounds like he needs better practice and needs to focus more on clean hits. A 357 SIG has absolutely no advantage over the 40 when it comes to deer hunting, Sounds like he's been making lousy hits and blames the caliber. Typical.

noway
11-26-2006, 00:02
{Sure a shot to the brain is fatal, but miss that by a precious small margin, and you blow off the deer's lower jaw, and it dies of slow starvation by not being able to eat, or you send one through it's neck, and it dies of infection or starvation.}

actually a neck shot is a good shot to anchor a dee but hard to master and more this statement is more truely with a head gun.

If you ever talk 2 us down south hunters where we have deer standing in water and rather not chase it down if we shoot it in "thoracic cavity" and it should happen to run thru 100yards of wetlands, the neck next to the head make a good stopping shot and more truer with high powered rifles which are more accurate.

So don't dis-rule the neck. I rather go a deer long neck than his tiny head ;)

ede
11-26-2006, 06:50
Originally posted by 96vortechSS
If you shot the deer with a 9mm in the head it wouldn't have gone anywhere either. You guys are cruel hunting deer with glocks. Glocks aren't made for deer hunting.

i didn't say anything about hunting. i was talking about shooting deer and ammo preformance, not hunting for sport.

ede
11-26-2006, 06:57
Originally posted by TheGlock23Guy
Sounds like he needs better practice and needs to focus more on clean hits. A 357 SIG has absolutely no advantage over the 40 when it comes to deer hunting, Sounds like he's been making lousy hits and blames the caliber. Typical.

he's usually shooting from a few feet and hitting the head, or if too far for a head shot still as close as he could walk up on one and shoot it. just the other day when we were talking about the .357 he said he shot one in the neck from about 25' and then head and it didn't die but went into a seizue and was really bleeding from all it's openings. he's wanting not just to kill the deer but kill it fast. i don't know for sure but i suspect he's shot several 100 with the .40 out of a 226 sig. sounds to me like you don't know much or any details and are making your own conclusions. typical

SDGlock23
11-26-2006, 08:05
Originally posted by ede

He needs to learn how to shoot then. If anything, the .40 has the advantage.

Mr. Mysterious
11-26-2006, 08:38
I wouldn't hunt deer with a my G32, but he is within the letter of the law on this.

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/general.asp#firearmsarchery

"Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer's rating of 350 foot-pounds muzzle energy or more."

Armchair Commando
11-26-2006, 14:36
Originally posted by ede
he's wanting not just to kill the deer but kill it fast. i don't know for sure but i suspect he's shot several 100 with the .40 out of a 226 sig. sounds to me like you don't know much or any details and are making your own conclusions. typical Well considering you didn't post any information in your prior post and i'm not a PSYCHIC, Then i pretty much have to draw my own conclusions now don't i genius? If your son was soo damn worried about killing the deer faster than what a 40 S&W can do then he should use his head and get a 44 Mag, But no he wants the 357 SIG instead which has absolutely not killing power over the 40. Any smart person or true hunter that wanted to kill a deer faster the following time around would not resort to another service caliber weapon. They would use a more powerful one, Sounds to me like he's testing out the effects of the rounds on deer instead of truly hunting them to be hunting them! You also said clearly in your post that he's taken several hundred deer with his 40, Doesn't sound like he's too worried about it being inhumane if it takes 200 hundred deer to realize that it's Animal Cruelty he's inducing onto these deer. No real hunter takes a deer in-humanely if they can help it! But as you stated your son has taken a couple hundred deer with his 40 and doesn't like the performance of it! :upeyes:

ede
11-26-2006, 15:44
you sir are rude and a fool. alot of the details aren't important, but a 44 isn't an option nor is a rifle or shot gun. the fact is he has a .40 cal sig and a .40 cal glock and nothing else and from anothers experience with the sig round the preformance is better for killing deer. he isn't a hunter and has no desire to become one so you're correct by default on that. any true hunter and sportsman would step up to something more effective for the job at hand, which leads us back to the begining of this thread, the 357 sig.

Armchair Commando
11-26-2006, 15:58
Originally posted by ede
you sir are rude and a fool. alot of the details aren't important, but a 44 isn't an option nor is a rifle or shot gun. the fact is he has a .40 cal sig and a .40 cal glock and nothing else and from anothers experience with the sig round the preformance is better for killing deer. he isn't a hunter and has no desire to become one so you're correct by default on that. any true hunter and sportsman would step up to something more effective for the job at hand, which leads us back to the begining of this thread, the 357 sig.

I am very rude when i read how In-Humane people can be to wildlife, But far from a fool. You said he has a 40 caliber glock and 40 caliber sig, Yet the 40 Caliber Sigs round has better performance???? This is by far the most ignorant post i have ever read, Given the same ammo the results should not be any different, Except if one has a longer barrel over the other which would increase velocity over the other firearm. Although you failed to mention what Model Glock. You said he's not a hunter but has shot several hundred deer? What is he then? And just a quick question, Why did he wait til he killed several hundred deer later to decide the 40 Caliber round wasn't effective enough. The 357 SIG has no extra killing power over the 40. Care to prove me wrong? And not to mention he said a 40 Caliber Sig has better Performance over a 40 Caliber Glock was nothing less of idiotic. Remember it's better to remain silent and be considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt! ;)

ede
11-26-2006, 17:16
you must not be very well versed in cartridges. there is no .40 sig. the sig round is a 9mm, not a .40 as you stated and for a marketing edge they (sig) called it the .357 sig. you might be getting confused between firearms and cartridges. the better preformance is from the sig round, not the firearm. the glock round would in fact be a .45, but that's not the topic at hand. he's basing his desire on the sig round on someone elses experiences that has one and has used it for deer with better results than the .40 from the sig. you're comprehenshion skills apear to be lacking or your lack of firearm and cartridge knowledge is hurting your grasp of the facts. he knew the .40 was lacking the first time he used it on a deer, but agian he doesn't have much choice other than useing the sig or glock, both in .40. again he, and me by 2nd hand knowledge, based stated the .357 sig round to be better at quickly killing deer based on the fact that soemoen he knows has had better results killing deer with that round. you may of gotten confused thinking this was based on hunting experience because it was moved from GG to here. i suspect you may fully well know exacitily what i meant when i refered to the .40sig, given that i said it was a 226 earlier and chose to play with words to make your position look to be on better footing that it is. again and with more conviction you sir are a fool and you sir are an ass. perhaps you should heed your own words and remain silent instead of reinforcing and displaying your lack or knowledge or mannors.

cellison1460
11-26-2006, 17:18
Originally posted by ede

After reading this thread and actually looking at the profile of the people posting I can't help but to notice that ede's title is, "Dad of RN and Tpr." After using a little bit of common sense, which was confirmed by a google search, I think that ede is probably the father of a Register Nurse and a Trooper. The trooper may very well be a storm trooper but after reading his posts it sounds like a State Trooper would make more sense.

After collecting that piece of information I feel that the son of ede is probably shooting deer that have been struck by a vehicle and are injured. If this is the case, the choice of caliber and ammunition is very restricted due to the gun being used for personal defense against people. The general characteristic of any defense round is going to be fast expanding which the skull of the deer could cause problems with. Since the weapon being questioned here is a G33, that tells me that he is considering the glock as a second weapon. Since this would be second weapon that is in a different caliber than what he is using now tells me that the agency he works for is more lenient on the usage of a second weapon. The extra velocity of the .357 would have an advantage over the .40 while still using fast expanding type ammunition.

I may be wrong, only ede and his son can say for sure but I am pretty sure that if you view one's profile and put together what information you do have before jumping to a conclusion you will sound more educated in the future.

HEMI 27
11-26-2006, 18:41
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/doggone1/thread%20photos/troll-alert-elevated.png

freakshow10mm
11-27-2006, 11:52
Originally posted by 96vortechSS
You guys are cruel hunting deer with glocks.
Mother Nature can be even more cruel. Blue tongue? Mange? Being eaten alive by wolves and coyotes? Starvation? Freezing to death in 7 feet of snow at -20*F? Yeah, much better than being shot with a service round from a Glock.

b18turboef
11-30-2006, 02:15
I've never hunted deer, but I have seen many, especially in camp sites. Im sure they range from ~75ish pounds to hundreds. But I REALLY feel that if I shot a deer with my glock 23 it would kill it. One of the things I see people saying about "prolonged suffering" by "blowing off its jaw" or "shooting it in the neck"....How much blood do you think the damn animal has? Hes not gonna live for a week with a 3/4" hole in his head/neck/jaw/back etc. Something tells me thats gonna bleed quite a bit. It seems to me that hunters have to "track" their deer quite a ways to find them after being shot in the "sweet spot". Maybe thats because the deer bleeds to death the same way it would with a handgun?

Call me crazy but I think your forgeting its a GUN. With REAL bullets. DESIGNED to kill. I'm not by any means saying its the best choice, obviously a rifle is better. But in all reality the animal will die either way, and at least with a g23 you've got 14 rounds huh?

glockess56
12-01-2006, 22:25
In Ohio to shoot with a handgun it has to be at least 5 inches in length and .357 caliber or higher. Also, whatever this means, it has to be with "straight walled cartridges."

noway
12-01-2006, 23:33
{Also, whatever this means, it has to be with "straight walled cartridges."}

Will that would rule out 357sig, 9x25dillon,7.62x25 tok,40 super....

Even tho with any of the above it will kill a deer if you shot it right ;)

MARTIN FISHER
12-03-2006, 13:01
So, hunting or killing a deer with a .40 or 357 sig is immoral, but they are OKAY for humans?

There is not any more moral way to kill anything, all killing causes suffering and results in death or serious injury when the target is hit.

I have seen many animals hit with various rifles, pistols, shotguns, arrows and vehicles and run away injured, that is life and death in the real world.

Nothing moral or immoral about it, it just is.

fellow14
12-12-2006, 04:19
Typically one uses the proper tool for a given job. Yes a pistol round CAN do the job, but a rifle round will do a much BETTER job. If you know you're going to a gun fight, which would you rather have a pistol or a rifle? As for the trooper, are troopers no longer issued shotguns? Just sayin, no need to half ass it.

Razoreye
12-13-2006, 23:10
Originally posted by freakshow10mm
Mother Nature can be even more cruel. Blue tongue? Mange? Being eaten alive by wolves and coyotes? Starvation? Freezing to death in 7 feet of snow at -20*F? Yeah, much better than being shot with a service round from a Glock. QFT. I don't see anything wrong with the choice of weapon and caliber, especially if the hunter waits for the best shot. In the end it all comes down to using what you're capable of putting down the animal as fast as you can. If you can handle a pistol in a smaller caliber then by all means go for it. However, if you're not capable of making good shots with even BIG calibers then do everyone a favor and stop.

Shot placement and taking only the perfect shot is what it comes down to.

Just remember that there are many people out there that think using any gun - from .243 to .50 is immoral or unethical.