Current issue weapons. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Current issue weapons.

10mm4me
11-26-2006, 15:47
Hello all!

I served in the Navy from October,'77 to October, '83.
I was required to qualify with 1911 pistol, M-14 rifle, Rem Model 870 shotgun and on a less frequent basis, the M-2 Browning and the M-60.

I'm curious to know what the Navy is using now. There was talk of them changing just before my EAOS but I don't really talk to anyone currently serving so I don't know what is in use presently.

I was proficient with all of them but preferred the 870 while shipboard! It was certainly capable of clearing a passageway fast!

By the way, did anyone ever qualify by way of the GMs setting up a scaled version of a range on the fantail? Just curious. By this I mean an actual qual, not just "fam-fire".

Thanks,

Andy

mangkukhan
12-16-2006, 23:01
I know they switched to the Beretta M9 with the other services back in the 80s and 90s, the m-16 is the navy's current issue rifle, rem 870 is still used, I think the m-60 is virtually completely phased out by the m279???, I cannot recall the exact designation of the new SAW but its made by FN chambered in the 5.56mm, basically new navy is getting the new stuff, some of the older weapons are still floating in armories on posts and ships that dont use it often or havent gotten around to changing it all out.

SW.FLA.glocker
12-16-2006, 23:09
The SAW is the M249. The replacement for the M60 is probably the M240 at least it is for the Army.

Ned69
01-11-2007, 15:32
I left sea duty a little more than 24 months ago, and we were using Mossberg 12 ga pump and Beretta 9mm. I'm not an ordie or a gunner, but I'm about 99 % certain we were still using the M-60 and I am 100 % that is what we called it. We didn't get rid of the M14 until late 2001, after 9/11. This was on an aircraft carrier.

jerrytrini
01-21-2007, 08:36
I qualified with M14, GI issue 45, and Rem 870 when I was on shore duty. Then during Desert Storm the marines set up IPSC style targets at the fantail for quals for everyone on board who wanted to qualify.

desertram800
02-08-2007, 04:39
Originally posted by mangkukhan
I know they switched to the Beretta M9 with the other services back in the 80s and 90s, the m-16 is the navy's current issue rifle, rem 870 is still used, I think the m-60 is virtually completely phased out by the m279???, I cannot recall the exact designation of the new SAW but its made by FN chambered in the 5.56mm, basically new navy is getting the new stuff, some of the older weapons are still floating in armories on posts and ships that dont use it often or havent gotten around to changing it all out.

The navy also uses the 9mm sig pistols, and the M60 is still widely used. The SAW is also used, for mobile applications, but the M60 is still the weapon of choice when it's to be mounted, ie a vehicle, a ship or boat. We also use the Mk44 aka minigun, the M2 .50cal machine gun, and while the M16 is the standard issue rifle, we still widely use the M14 as well as the M4. We also have the M203, and we even still use the M79 grenade launcher! And I have never in 7 yrs of duty seen a Rem 870 used, we use Mossberg 500 12GA. Oh yeah, we also have the 25mm aka the 25 mike mike! Oh, and we also use MP5's for specialized CQB type work. These weapons all are standard throughout the services (except the coast guard, they just switched to the sig 229 I think?). We all use the same weapons so that when we work together we won't have equipment issues.

coastienc
02-13-2007, 18:17
As far as the Coast Guard, we did just switch to the Sig P229 DAK, also using 870s with a speedfeed stock and a reflex sight. Some units have M-16s while some units now have a more modern M-4 carbine.

proheromk1
02-14-2007, 07:07
Originally posted by desertram800
we use Mossberg 500 12GA. Oh yeah, we also have the 25mm aka the 25 mike mike! Oh, and we also use MP5's for specialized CQB type work. These weapons all are standard throughout the services (except the coast guard, they just switched to the sig 229 I think?). We all use the same weapons so that when we work together we won't have equipment issues.

Not true. We (u.s.c.g.) do not have any MP5's or Mossbergs. We are phasing out our 60's in favor of the m249, And our 870's are a special police magnum made special for the coast guard, with a c.g. unique serial #, a shortened barrell, pistol grip stock, and a.c.o.g. combat sights. And our airdales are using a .50 cal. rifle, not sure which make not the barrett though, to disable go-fast drug boats.

:thumbsup:

proheromk1
02-14-2007, 07:08
Oh yeah, no mini-guns or things of that nature for us either.

:supergrin:

desertram800
03-06-2007, 02:15
acogs on a shotty? Man! I guess the USCG has a bigger budget than us! Hahahha! I use my personal eotech on my mossy 500, but they won't buy us stuff like that! How do you like the new .40 sig? The navy gets mostly old refurbed army DRMO crap. Oh well.

proheromk1
03-06-2007, 06:10
The sigs are excellent guns functionally and all that. But they really do not like saltwater. We have to keep them drenched with oil to keep them from rusting which raises concerns to me as far as proper function should I need it. Not to mention the weapon as a whole gets kind of slick.