View Full Version : Your openion please.....James Webb

MADISON
12-02-2006, 16:08
Roanoke Times November 30, 2006

Sen.elect Wenn gives Bush icy reception
James Webb’s brash, unpolisshed style
impressed voters but may backfire
on him in Washington.

WASHINGTON -- At a recent White House reception for freshmen members of Congress, Virginia’s newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receing line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But, it wasn’t long before Bush found him.
“How’s you boy?” Bush ask, referring to Webb’s soon, a Marine serving in Iraq.
“I’d like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President.” Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.
“That’s not what I ask you,” Bush said. “How’s your boy?”
“That’s between me and my boy, Mr. President,” Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.
Webb was narrowly elected to the U.S. Senate in November, with a brash, unpolished style that helped win over independent voters and, earned him support from national party leaders. Now his Democratic colleagues are getting a close up view of the former boxer; military officer; and, Republican who joined the Democratic ranks.
If the exchange with Bush two weeks ago is any indication, Webb won’t be a wallflower, especially when it comes to the war in Iraq. And he won’t stick to a script, drafted by top Democrats.
“I’m not particularly interested in having a picture of me and George W. Bush on my wall.” Webb said Tuesday. “No offense to the institution of the presidency and, I’m certainly looking forward to working with him and his administration [BUT] leaders do some symbolic things to try too convey who they are and what the message is.”
In the days after the election, Webb’s Democratic colleagues on Capitol Hill went out of their way to be nice with Bush and he seen by his side. Not Webb who said he tried to avoid a confrontation with Bush at the White House reception but, did not shy away from one when the president approached.
The White House declined to discuss the encounter.
Webb said he has “strong ideas” but, he also, insisted that -- as a former Marine in Vietnam -- he knows how to work in a place such as the Senate, where being part of a team is important.
He plans to push for a new GI Bill for soldiers who have served in the days since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, but, not as a freshman senator. He has approached the Democratic leadership about getting senior legislators to sponsor the bill when the 110th Congress convenes in January.
Top Democratic senators, including incoming Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Charles Schumer, D-NY., had invested their money and prestige in Webb before he won the party primary in June. His victory was also theirs but, now they have to make sure he’s not a liability.
“He’s not a typical politician. He really has deep convictions,” said Schumer, who headed the Senate Democrats’ campaign arm. “We saw this in the campaign. We would have disagreements. But, when you make a persuasive argument, he would say, ‘ You’re right’. I am truly not worried about it. He understands the need to be part of a team.
One senior Democratic staff member on Capitol Hill, who spoke on condition that he not be identified, so he could speak freely, about the new senator, said that Webb’s lack of political polish was part of his charm as a candidate but, could be a problem as a senator. “I think he’s going to be a total pain. He is going to do things his own way. That’s a good thing and a bad thing.” the staff member said. But he said that Webb’s personality may be just what the Senate needs. “You need a little of everything. Some element of that personality is helpful.
Virginia Democratic Gov. Tim Kaine, who campaigned hard to get Webb elected, said Tuesday that the first time office holder doesn’t have the finesse of most experienced politicians.
“He is not a backslapper,” Kaine said. “There are different models that succeed in politics. There’s the hail-fellow-well-met model of backslapping. That is not his style.
But Kaine said that Webb’s background, including a stint as Ronald Regan’s Secretary of The Navy, will make him an important -- if unpredictable -- voice on the war in Iraq.
“There are no senators who have that everyday anxiety that he has as a dad with a youngster on the front lines. That gives him gravatus and credibility on this issue,” Kaine said.
“People in the Senate, I’m sure, will agree with him or disagree with him on issue to issue. But, they won’t doubt that he’s at it from a real sense of duty, he said.

Your openion please...

Hunterjbb
12-03-2006, 20:35
I didn't vote for the guy, but if what is posted above is what he said to the president i find that just plain rude. Wether or not he disagree's with the president on Iraq or any other issue does not matter there is no justification for just being rude.

I think within the next year you will see a re institiution of the AWB with more restrictions in place. I think you'll see Hillary make a run at being Pres.. and that will be a close race although i don't think she will win.

Webb i think may make waves but i don't think the Demorcratic party is going to let him get to out of hand.. maybe a good thing maybe bad only time will really tell how he does.

Jeff.

Fungunner
12-05-2006, 10:23
I'm in a wait and see posture. I too, did not vote for him, but if he turns out to be as pro-gun as he ran on, he might earn my vote in 6 years. I'm not sure he can stand up to the likes of Schumer, Boxer or Kennedy. I will be looking to see if he represents the people of Virginia and not the likes of a George Soros or Michael Moore.

Reports of this "conversation" with the President came across to me as somewhat childish, but I wasn't there and the press can leave stuff out, so I'll give him a pass on this.

SELFDEFENSE
12-05-2006, 16:32
I think he will be a disaster in VA the he has been in his other positions of responsibility.

m4arc
12-07-2006, 08:37
Well I didn't vote for the guy but he does have a good rating from the NRA and I liked his response to the VCDL survey so...

I'm worried that when it comes to gun control issues he'll end up towing the party line and fall in with the likes of Nancy, Chuck, Hillary, Diane and Barbara.

MrWithasee
01-01-2007, 19:14
The way I look at it, don't ask any question unless you really want to hear that person's honest answer.

Dan0076
01-01-2007, 20:55
I'm also waiting to see what he does on gun issues.

But so far he's been an embarassment to Virginians.

Slinger646
01-02-2007, 05:45
I did not vote for him, I do not like him and I dont expect anything admirable from him in the next six years. Our next hope is to oust RINO Warner.

Fungunner
01-02-2007, 20:13
Originally posted by Slinger646
Our next hope is to oust RINO Warner.

Yep. Hopefully, he will retire and we can get a republican that is on our side. I am prepared to vote for a democrat who has a record of being pro-gun, if necessary.

longwatch2k1
01-03-2007, 06:12
I did notice that Webbs people took down his NRA survey he was so proud of, even though there was no direct link on his homepage.

Slinger646
01-03-2007, 19:16
I say we send a butt-load of simple emails to Sen. Webb:

Second Term? Second Ammendment!

Im willing to give anyone a chance, (although Im not holding my breath) however im afraid he'll be whipped into shape by B. Hussein Obama, Hillary and all the other loons.

LittleLebowski
01-07-2007, 11:40
He's pro-gun and pro 2nd Amendment. Just because he doesn't like Bush and is a Democrat, doesn't mean he's working for Soros. It isn't that black and white, people.

Take a moment to read Fields of Fire (his book on the Commandant of the Marine Corps' reading list) or look at the man's biography. Hell, he's a CCW and shoots at the NRA range!

He won't get whipped into shape. He's famous for making stands that are morally right but not politically smart.

Fungunner
01-07-2007, 17:19
Originally posted by LittleLebowski
He's pro-gun and pro 2nd Amendment. Just because he doesn't like Bush and is a Democrat, doesn't mean he's working for Soros. It isn't that black and white, people.

Take a moment to read Fields of Fire (his book on the Commandant of the Marine Corps' reading list) or look at the man's biography. Hell, he's a CCW and shoots at the NRA range!

He won't get whipped into shape. He's famous for making stands that are morally right but not politically smart.

I believe you'll read, most of us are willing to give him a chance. The democrat leadership is responsible for all the anti-gun negativity that has been generated about the party. Meanwhile, if he took money from Soros, we'll see whether he is working for him or not.

LittleLebowski
01-08-2007, 15:19
I am referring to the fact that if you know anything about the guy, you'd know he's not the Soros/Hillary type and he is very Pro 2nd Amendment. Not trying to blanket judge everyone.

pjva04
01-15-2007, 05:46
Originally posted by LittleLebowski

:agree:

frank4570
01-15-2007, 17:21
He says he supports 2nd amendment rights.
He comes right out and says he carries and feels no need to justify it any more than to say it is his right.

dbrowne1
01-15-2007, 20:16
I think he paid lots of lip service to gun rights during his campaign. He was (as far as I know) conspicuously silent on some gun issues, including the "assault weapons" ban.

I'll wait until he's been tested and bucked party leadership if needed, and has actually voted against gun control bills, to give any endorsement.

ottobon100
01-23-2007, 20:43
I didn't vote for him because I felt he would just follow the party (Dem) line and guess what. Got this from the NRA ILA in an email last Friday:

BENNETT-MCCONNELL AMENDMENT PASSES SENATE!
NRA-ILA Grassroots Activism Protected

The U.S. Senate has voted 55-43 to accept an amendment to S.A. 3, the "Legislative Transparency and Accountability Act", removing an onerous proposal that would have drastically limited the First Amendment rights of Americans in the political process. Offered by Sens. Robert Bennett (R-Utah) and Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), the amendment removed Section 220 that would have forced ordinary citizens to register with the federal government as "lobbyists," with all the attendant restrictions, costs, and penalties.

"The First Amendment protects an unqualified 'right of the people to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.' That is a sacred right of the American people." said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. " Sec. 220 would have, for the first time in American history, severely regulated and restricted 'the voluntary efforts of members of the general public to communicate their own views on an issue to Federal officials.'

"On behalf of 4 million NRA members and tens of millions of gun owners, hunters, and sportsmen across the country, I want to thank Senators Robert Bennett and Mitch McConnell for their leadership in preserving political free speech for all," concluded Cox. "We are also grateful to the 53 other senators who voted for the Bennett-McConnell Amendment."

While this was no doubt a victory for NRA, gun owners, and freedom, enemies of the First and Second Amendments are alive and well in the 110th Congress, and no doubt will continue to assault our rights. Our thanks to all of you who contacted your U.S. Senators on this most important issue.

To see how your Senators voted, please visit...

Email gives website but I'll save you the trouble and tell you how Webb voted, NAY - along with Boxer, Feinstein, Schumer, Kennedy, Clinton, Kerry, Obama.... 43 voted NAY, all Dems. Webb is going to stick with these folks and I predict he'll do it when gun control comes back up for a vote.

Nicky9
01-24-2007, 07:34
Stuff I found...
"During the 2004 presidential campaign, Webb wrote an op-ed piece for USA Today in which he, as a military veteran, evaluated the candidacies of John Kerry and George W. Bush. He criticized Kerry for opposing the Vietnam War in the 1970s while affiliated with the Vietnam Veterans Against the War, and accused Bush of using his father's connections to avoid service in Vietnam. Webb also wrote that Bush had "committed the greatest strategic blunder in modern memory" with the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[7]"

"Among Webb's awards for community service and professional excellence are the Department of Defense Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Medal of Honor Society's Patriot Award, the American Legion National Commander's Public Service Award, the Veterans of Foreign Wars Media Service Award, the Marine Corps League's Military Order of the Iron Mike Award, the John H. Russell Leadership Award, and the Robert L. Denig Distinguished Service Award"

He certainly has his opinions... as the saying goes... opinions are like *****holes everyone's got one! Well this guy (Webb) has an impressive resume' with actual combat experience... and his son is currently over there. I will give him a chance. And I don’t think he will sway and follow the old democratic ways (On Gun-Control)... he has shown in the past that he makes his own path.

This is awesome IMO... (From MADISON above)
"One senior Democratic staff member on Capitol Hill... said that Webb’s lack of political polish was part of his charm as a candidate but, could be a problem as a senator. “I think he’s going to be a total pain. He is going to do things his own way. That’s a good thing and a bad thing.” the staff member said. But he said that Webb’s personality may be just what the Senate needs. “You need a little of everything. Some element of that personality is helpful."

The Senate and House of Reps in general needs to be shaken up a little bit. Politics is all back room BS. They (Both Dem and Rep) need to get down to business and get stuff done.
They need a pain-in-the ***** to get back on track... he might be the guy to do it!

BTW... if he happens to sway towards the anti-gun campaign I will jump ship. I don’t see him going that route when reviewing his bio and views.

Hunterjbb
01-24-2007, 17:12
Bio's are what they want you to see... however it's all moot, with Hillary in as pres in 2008 we might as well just bury our guns now.. :tongueout: sorry couldn't resist.. not to get this to far off track, i think Webb will go with the party line.. He may have his own personality but if someone leans on him from the party, well i think you'll see him go that route.

And by the way, i'd rather write in Mickey Mouse then see Hillary in office... what would Bill be called ? "first man" ?

Heck i'd even vote for Ross Perot or Ralph Nader for Pres.. if they'd run again..

sorry don't mean to cause thread drift..

Jeff.

ottobon100
01-24-2007, 20:19
Hey, remember he's ONLY in there for a SIX YEAR term!!!

dbrowne1
01-26-2007, 16:49
Nicky9-

I respect any person (in Congress or not) who served in the military, particularly in combat, but that doesn't really sway me when it comes to supporting that person once in Congress. I can think of quite a few combat vets there right now who I do not support simply because of how they vote on gun control and other issues as well. They are Congressmen and Senators now and their prior service should not shield them from criticism in those roles that they sought out and campaigned for.

The fact that Webb has a reputation for being a maverick and making choices on principle and not based on party politics, again, doesn't really help. I'm glad he does that in general, but the bottom line is that he either votes the way I want him to or he doesn't, and his reasons are almost immaterial as far as I'm concerned.

alien-Glocker
01-26-2007, 18:12
See results at link.

Hint-Just a 42% approve (after his SOTU address no less)

Link: http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=16b07b8f-724d-4077-8a79-f098d50f23a9

Well, we're stuck with him for the next 6 years, ugh!

Fungunner
01-27-2007, 13:07
I cannot believe John Warner's approvals are that high!

ottobon100
02-27-2007, 06:46
We will soon see how Congressman Webb supports us OR his party. A new bill put forth by New York Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D), H.R. 1022 to reauthorize the Clinton Gun Ban - plus more! - will come up for a vote in the near future. Didn't take them long. I'm hoping we'll see that independent spirit and he keeps his promise.

dbrowne1
02-27-2007, 17:56
Originally posted by ottobon100
We will soon see how Congressman Webb supports us OR his party. A new bill put forth by New York Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D), H.R. 1022 to reauthorize the Clinton Gun Ban - plus more! - will come up for a vote in the near future. Didn't take them long. I'm hoping we'll see that independent spirit and he keeps his promise.

Just to clarify, Jim Webb is a Senator, not a Congressman, so Rep. McCarthy's bill is not even in his chamber (yet).

ottobon100
02-27-2007, 22:32
Originally posted by dbrowne1
Just to clarify, Jim Webb is a Senator, not a Congressman, so Rep. McCarthy's bill is not even in his chamber (yet). Oops! Thank you for the correction. No excuse for that blunder. I knew that. Senior moment? He's the guy that beat Allen, right? Guess I was in too much of a hurry to get this out. The Dems sure didn't waste time getting this on the agenda! Oh well, Hopefully I don't have to sweat my Congressman (Fourth District) - Randy Forbes. How about yours? THEN, we'll see what Webb does with it if and when it gets to the Senate. With Sen. Warner - who knows...

dbrowne1
02-28-2007, 09:38
Originally posted by ottobon100
Oops! Thank you for the correction. No excuse for that blunder. I knew that. Senior moment? He's the guy that beat Allen, right? Guess I was in too much of a hurry to get this out. The Dems sure didn't waste time getting this on the agenda! Oh well, Hopefully I don't have to sweat my Congressman (Fourth District) - Randy Forbes. How about yours? THEN, we'll see what Webb does with it if and when it gets to the Senate. With Sen. Warner - who knows...

My Congressman is Bobby Scott. I don't waste my time (or stamps, or e-mail bandwidth, or long distance charges) communicating with his office on much of anything.

I don't think McCarthy's bill has a snowball's chance in hell of being enacted into law. At the very least, it's not going to get past the Senate, and it sure isn't going be signed in its current form by Bush.

It's still a good idea to keep the political heat on them, though.

m4arc
02-28-2007, 09:46
Originally posted by dbrowne1
Just to clarify, Jim Webb is a Senator, not a Congressman, so Rep. McCarthy's bill is not even in his chamber (yet).

Nevermind, I misread your post. Sorry :supergrin: