Help out a first time hunter. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help out a first time hunter.


Usingmyrights
12-02-2006, 22:47
I've been wanting to hunt for a long time now, but have never had either the time or money. I've been a few times on my grandparents property, but it wasn't anything serious. Due to some big changes recently (mostly for the worst), I've got some time and money freed up to be able to start. I'm trying to get an idea on how much its going to cost me to get started.

I just moved, and am now living about 15 minutes away from a WMA that hasn't been hunted since 9/11 (on a military base). I figure permit and tags would be around $100. About $50-100 in clothing, $150 for a stand, $50 in ammo to get dialed in, and to find something that the gun likes, another $100 in misc (I'm not going fancy with GPS and rangefinders), then of course a gun. I'm debating on either a Marlin 336W or a Tikka T3 Lite SS in 270. I'm leaning more toward the Tikke because I can get it for around $700-725 OTD, with Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Its a cheap scope, but I can always upgrade next year. So I'm looking at about $800-850 with the Marlin, or $1150-1225 with the Tikka. Big price difference, but the Tikka would probably get me a deer this season. I can drop $100 off the price due to having a gift certificate, and probably another $100-200 off of everything but the stand and gun, because of a deal I've got setup with somebody.

This year, I'm just looking to gain experience and to put a little meat in the freezer. The area I'm going to be hunting has a pretty big population, so I should have no problem with seeing deer. Just have to do my part on the shooting end. I don't have to be in to work til 10, so I'll be able to hunt up to about 9 on weekdays before having to head in. Just looking for opitions on the guns I'm looking at and on what misc to get. I've already got the basics, (compass, binoculars, quality raingear). I'd really like to meet up with somebody to kinda of show me the ropes. The biggest thing is post shot. Tracking, if the deer actually runs a ways, and field dressing. Its embarrassing that I don't know this stuff, but I come from city folk.

noway
12-03-2006, 09:05
Will I'm guessing your hunting on elgin ? right ?

You will need to add in the Hunter Ed course if your haven't taken it since most federal establishments require it regardless of your age ( avon park range, elgin,etc...) Your on the right track on what you need but I have to question this statement.


So I'm looking at about $800-850 with the Marlin, or $1150-1225 with the Tikka. Big price difference, but the Tikka would probably get me a deer this season.


You know my 1st deer was taken with a rifle that was probably worth 200 dollars. Most people are shooting deer with rifle way under what your stating. Price of the rifle makes no advantage in shooting a deer in avg deer hunting ranges. Either one fo those two rifles would be more than adeuqate and equal in taking a florida deer ;)

What I would suggest is to pair up with a upstate FL hunter in that area for getting some experience and seeing what he does in that area.

This year, I'm just looking to gain experience and to put a little meat in the freezer

You gain experience buy getting your boots dirty & hands bloody and getting into the woods, no course, or book, or reading it on the internet will get you the real thing. Go out have fun & be safe and you will find it's not hard as what it seems.

Oh btw, man the hunting season is in it's final month(s) are you planning on getting into this year season or next?

Usingmyrights
12-03-2006, 11:38
I've already gotten my hunters ed. Actually got that about 10 years ago, when I was in the Boy Scouts. I'd be hunting Camp Blanding WMA. The reason I said the Tikka over the Marlin is that everything I've heard about Camp Blanding this year is shots at 150+ yards. With alot being 200-300yards. Thats getting out of the 30-30s range. Its not the dollar sign on the gun, but I'd rather get a nicer one from the start. Was looking at an Abolt, but it'd run me another $50-75 over the T3, and had a pretty crappy looking stock. Not that how it looks has anything to do with how it shoots, but if I'm going to spend more then a few hundred, I'd like a half decent stock. Plus the Tikka's trigger is nicer. Only advantage I saw to the Abolt was a slightly shorter bolt throw. I was going to start this season. Yes, I know I waited too long to start, but if I shared what has been going on the past month, you'd understand. I'm off on Tuesdays, so thats probably when I'd hit the woods, if not for a few hours before work. There's a guy I work with that does a great job with mounting/boresighting, so I'd just hit the range for a little big before work one day. Realistically, if I decided to go ahead and go this season, I could be in the woods by Thurs or Fri at the latest.

noway
12-03-2006, 13:40
{The reason I said the Tikka over the Marlin is that everything I've heard about Camp Blanding this year is shots at 150+ yards. With alot being 200-300yards.}

All I can add is Camp blanding is nice, 150plus yard shots and 200-300yards is this camp fireside stories or reality?

a 150plus yard shot and a 200-300yards is not something I would reccommend for somebody that hasn't hunted this range nor have had actual field offhand shooting at game animals at that range. Shot more like in 100yards or under are the typical. Deer hangs in the cover and rarely
posed a open shot that would cover that much grass.

Since you mention tikka have you picked and choose the caliber that you want? 270/7mm/30 cal or what?

I also want to point out since you mention "tags", their's no such thing as a tag for the most part in Florida. Camp blanding is a daily quota hunt and only requires a hunting license, wma permit and gun & body. You can hunt that for something like 50 dollars and some change ;)

btw: I'm hunting Nassau unit in the last week in december with some friends from SE-GA, Alachua and Gainsville counties. Will be out their for 4 days deer or no deer ;)

Usingmyrights
12-03-2006, 14:19
Since I wasn't there, I can't say for sure on the yardage. But I work in sporting goods store, and we had a regular customer come in on Saturday to pick up a rifle (700 LSS in 270, which I was also concidering). Said that he just came from Camp Blanding and saw 2 or 3 deer that morning, but they were 250-300+, and he had his 30-30 with him. I have no reason to doubt his statements, and I've heard from others the same thing with the longer shots.

If CB is mostly 100yds and under then the Marlin sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure if I went with the Marlin if I would go with a scope or not. The reason I guessed high on the license is I was going to go ahead and get a multiyear one, or one with the salt/fresh water and all the stamps. Thought you still needed a permit though. If I went with the Tikka I'd go with the 270, because there's already one on the self, there's also one in 300WSM thats blued, but I think the 270 would be the better opition between the two. Thanks for the advise, and keep it coming. I'd really like to be able to just tag along with somebody to just to get a better understanding of it all. Maybe I'll head to wallyworld to get my license tonight, and if I won't keep somebody else out, do a little scouting at CB tomorrow.

Esox357
12-03-2006, 20:44
Tikka T3-Scheels for 499.00 plus tax
Marlin 336 30-30 for 250.00 or thereabout.
Scope Leupold Rifleman 3x9-40 199.00
Gerber Knife Set 40.00
Flashlight 15.00
Deer Hunting Book w/Diagrams to clean deer 15.00
Clothing 100 dollars
Boots 100 Dollars (Check Sportsmansguide.com)
Backpack 20.00
Ladderstand 100.00
License/tags?????


You don't need a deerstand but it will help you see the deer before they see you and keep your scent off the ground. Hunt with your face into the wind this will keep deer from smelling you, fool their nose and you will get a deer. Other than that being warm and comfortable along with patience will get you a deer. If you setup right then your shots should be 100 yards or less unless you hunt open country like beanfields or senderos ect. A good website with hunting related topics is huntamerica.com and 24hourcampfire.com. Both of these are good places to learn hunting info. Good Luck Esox357.

Usingmyrights
12-04-2006, 21:38
Originally posted by Esox357
Tikka T3-Scheels for 499.00 plus tax
Marlin 336 30-30 for 250.00 or thereabout.
Scope Leupold Rifleman 3x9-40 199.00
Gerber Knife Set 40.00
Flashlight 15.00
Deer Hunting Book w/Diagrams to clean deer 15.00
Clothing 100 dollars
Boots 100 Dollars (Check Sportsmansguide.com)
Backpack 20.00
Ladderstand 100.00
License/tags?????


You don't need a deerstand but it will help you see the deer before they see you and keep your scent off the ground. Hunt with your face into the wind this will keep deer from smelling you, fool their nose and you will get a deer. Other than that being warm and comfortable along with patience will get you a deer. If you setup right then your shots should be 100 yards or less unless you hunt open country like beanfields or senderos ect. A good website with hunting related topics is huntamerica.com and 24hourcampfire.com. Both of these are good places to learn hunting info. Good Luck Esox357.

I decided agaist the Tikka for now (next season), and I'm going to go with the Marlin I believe. Somebody else suggested a .44 mag over the 30-30, whats y'alls opition on that. Where the heck do I find a Marling for $250? Even wally worlds price on them is right at $300. I was looking at prices, and was probably going to spend another $50 to get into a 336C or A instead of the W model.

As far as the list is concerned you can cross out flashlight, backpack, and boots. Unless you think I really need scentlock camo boots. I don't even see why you'd really need scentlock if your facing into the wind.

Brass Nazi
12-04-2006, 22:04
A .44 mag works fine for a close shot but the 30/30 will give you more range. The recoil for both cartridges will be similar. If it were me I would pick a 30/30.

noway
12-04-2006, 22:29
30/30 has distance and typically in a long gun vrs the 44mag is not. SInce you jumped from a marlin30-30, to a tikka and powerfull CF caliber and now a 44mag in a ?????, what distance do you plan on shooting at?

I'm also curious as to if you have a certain load picked out?

The micro-rifling marlins are suppose to not fire lead bullets that great when compared to all jacketed bullets.That might be something to think about.

Usingmyrights
12-04-2006, 22:42
Originally posted by noway
30/30 has distance and typically in a long gun vrs the 44mag is not. SInce you jumped from a marlin30-30, to a tikka and powerfull CF caliber and now a 44mag in a ?????, what distance do you plan on shooting at?

I'm also curious as to if you have a certain load picked out?

The micro-rifling marlins are suppose to not fire lead bullets that great when compared to all jacketed bullets.That might be something to think about.

I plan on getting a 30-30 and a 270. It was more of a matter of which to get first. I decided that since it is late in the season, lack of experience and the Marlin is about half the cost of the Tikka just to start with that. Someone suggested the .44, which I never really concidered, but thought I'd ask other people options on it anyway. I'll probably pick the Tikka up next summer. Now I'm just trying to decide which Marlin 336 model to go with. Probably put on a straight 4 power scope, and go with the new hornady ammo.

Sharker
12-08-2006, 10:32
I will tell you what... I have a Marlin 336 at the house that I am not going to get to use this year, I will let you borrow it. If you would prefer then you can borrow my 270, or hell any of the calibers you prefer.

I live less than a hour from ya... so save your dough, and use mine.

As to how to gut a deer, its easy... be careful when slicing the skin that you dont cut the inards, but then just pull everything out. I usually cut the trachea just ahead of the ribs, and then reach way up there to grab it and pull the lungs, heart, liver... everything out. Dont rupture the bladder or the stomach...

As to hunting... Take a quick handling gun (the 336 I have has a rear peep) and just S_L_O_W_L_Y walk through the woods with the wind in your face. Thats how I learned. I went slow... never saw much, but learned the woods for the next year.

Unfortunately, this year I havent been able to go in the woods once yet. Call me if you do want to borrow anything.
904 753 0458 (Jared)

Usingmyrights
12-08-2006, 21:36
Originally posted by Sharker
I will tell you what... I have a Marlin 336 at the house that I am not going to get to use this year, I will let you borrow it. If you would prefer then you can borrow my 270, or hell any of the calibers you prefer.

I live less than a hour from ya... so save your dough, and use mine.

As to how to gut a deer, its easy... be careful when slicing the skin that you dont cut the inards, but then just pull everything out. I usually cut the trachea just ahead of the ribs, and then reach way up there to grab it and pull the lungs, heart, liver... everything out. Dont rupture the bladder or the stomach...

As to hunting... Take a quick handling gun (the 336 I have has a rear peep) and just S_L_O_W_L_Y walk through the woods with the wind in your face. Thats how I learned. I went slow... never saw much, but learned the woods for the next year.

Unfortunately, this year I havent been able to go in the woods once yet. Call me if you do want to borrow anything.
904 753 0458 (Jared)

I may just have to take you up on that. Of course I couldn't just borrow it. I'd have to give ya something, and then if I did luck into getting something out there I'd have to give you some of that too. Whats a good processer here in Jax, or do you do it all yourself?

Sharker
12-09-2006, 09:46
I usually work my own deer. I take some of it to be made into sausage and such... but most of it is done at the house.
If you want to have it processed, then the place we use is Hedges meat market (its on 17 right when you enter Yulee on the left).
I am sure there are 10 between you and me that can handle it.

If you offered, I may take a strap from ya, but other than that, no need to worry about giving me anything... I have plenty of guns and all are collecting dust... so if you can warm a barrel up then have at it. (Just realize the key word is borrow...) And I have yet to shoot anything with my 30/30. But I have .243 and .270 in Savage, .270 in Remington 700 (my primary hunting gun), 25-06 in Ruger, 30/30 Marlin, .270 in Mauser, .223 in Ruger... The Mauser is the only one you cant borrow. The only one thats not Super Accurate is the Savage .270, but that sucker kicks to much to be enjoyable anyways.

jerrwhy
12-10-2006, 10:47
Usingmyrights,

I just moved to Jax a few months ago from Detroit. I'm on the westside. And I'm getting back into hunting after a long break. I did a lot of small game and some waterfoul as a kid growing up near crystal river. However, I never really did go Deer hunting. So it's a new experience for me as well

I'm planning on hunting Osceloa WMA on or around the 21st of Dec. You're more than welcome to come with. I don't expect to come home with anything. However, it's an opportunity for me to get outside and learn the woods for next season.


Peace
Jerry
svwindemere@aol.com

Usingmyrights
12-10-2006, 11:36
We need to all just get together and hit one of the "local" WMAs. Some of the older more experienced hunters could teach us newbies some stuff. As I said, the biggest thing for me would be post shot cleaning/processing. I'm sure I won't get anything starting out, but shooting skills is something that you can work on outside of the field.

jerrwhy
12-10-2006, 11:51
Originally posted by Usingmyrights
We need to all just get together and hit one of the "local" WMAs. Some of the older more experienced hunters could teach us newbies some stuff. As I said, the biggest thing for me would be post shot cleaning/processing. I'm sure I won't get anything starting out, but shooting skills is something that you can work on outside of the field.


Nassau and Osceola are about the same distance time wise from me. However, I've done my share of hiking so far this year in Osceola so that's what I'm planning on hitting since I'm a bit more familar with it. Next season I'll try Nassau and maybe a few others.

I'm a member of Gateway rifle and pistol club. I shoot often needless to say. Right now my biggest problem is time. However, on the 21st my X-mas vacation starts. So I'm planning on grabbing the shotty and getting out and about for a couple of days during my break.

Like I said you're more than welcome to come along.


peace
Jerry