First deer with a handgun- a Glock 22 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First deer with a handgun- a Glock 22

BowHunter252
12-03-2006, 21:03
I shot a doe with my G22 yesterday. It was about 10 yards away and I was in a treestand. It surprised me that the bullet went all the way through, heart/lung shot. Deer ran about 40-50 yards.

I was using handloads with 180gr Hornady XTP bullets.

I've got some pictures I will try to get up sometime.

And for all you people that say hunting with a Glock or other similar caliber hangun is unethical, a deer hit in the heart/lungs with pretty much anything, including a high powered rifle will generally travel about the same distance. Only a head shot or a shot breaking their shoulder or severing the spine will put them down any faster.

freakshow10mm
12-04-2006, 17:32
Congrats! I missed a buck with my pistol last weekend and ended the season a vegitarian (bad hunter). Going out for late bow. Hopefully I'll get something then.

vafish
12-05-2006, 06:02
Originally posted by freakshow10mm
Congrats! I missed a buck with my pistol last weekend and ended the season a vegitarian (bad hunter). Going out for late bow. Hopefully I'll get something then.

Having grown up in Minnesota, I like the big mid-western deer, but, my deer season started in mid September and I can hunt through the end of March. I have 6 tags on my big game license and I can buy bonus doe tags if that's not enough. One property I hunt has a damage control permit so I don't even need to use my tags there.

freakshow10mm
12-05-2006, 12:14
Up here bow is Oct 1-Nov 14, gun from Nov 15-30, MZ Dec 1-10 and bow reopens Dec 1-Jan 1. We have a 16-day gun season versus my old 9-day in WI. Much better. The deer are rutting very late this year.

The county I live in (and hunt in) doesn't issue doe permits. I can only take a doe with my bow during archery.

Andy W
12-13-2006, 15:34
Ethics aside, is it actually legal to hunt deer with a .40 caliber handgun in your state? In Kansas you can't, the case has to be at least 1.12 inches and .23 cal or larger

BowHunter252
12-14-2006, 17:21
I think the only requirement here is that the caliber has to be above .24 if using a pistol. So I guess you could legally hunt with a .25 ACP:upeyes:

If anyone else knows for sure feel free to chime in.

freakshow10mm
12-15-2006, 12:11
In MI it's any centerfire cartridge (in rifle zone). Shotty zone is .35 caliber and straight walled 9rd max in barrel and gun. WI is .22 centerfire and bigger.

The 10mm is 1.25-1.26 and the 40S&W is about .125 shorter in case length so I think it would be just about legal, following the OAL guideline.

Bill D
12-15-2006, 18:04
Georgia changed the law several years ago, and I am not sure I like it. Handguns with adjustable sights in ANY centerfire caliber, and any length barrel are legal for deer. A Keltec 25, 32, or 380, would be legal with aftermarket sights!
The old law was 500 FPE at 100 yards with adjustable sights.
My personal limit would be a 4" 686 with Ga. Arms 158 grain Deerstoppers- they made the grade under the old law. They make great ammo.
www.georgia-arms.com

vafish
12-16-2006, 12:34
VA says that handguns have to be at least .23 caliber and at least 350 ft lbs of muzzle energy (manufacturers rating).

Brass Nazi
12-16-2006, 12:39
Originally posted by vafish
VA says that handguns have to be at least .23 caliber and at least 350 ft lbs of muzzle energy (manufacturers rating).

What if you handload your own ammunition? Do you get to rate it yourself?

I would imagine that the reason that they make such a small caliber the minimum is in case someone wants to use there .243 Encore to hunt deer.

vafish
12-17-2006, 06:47
Originally posted by James Trapp
What if you handload your own ammunition? Do you get to rate it yourself?

Interesting question.

Not sure that it matter much, I don't know of a caliber I'd care to handload that comes from the manufacture with less than 350 ft lbs that I would want to load above that level.

Even .38 Special +P rounds can be found with more than 350 ft lbs of energy.

Brass Nazi
12-17-2006, 09:28
There is a large varience between the factory ratings and the kind of performance that you see when using a chronograph. Also you may use a different length barrel than the manafacturer used which would skew the data.

I do not think that using the factory specs is a good way to rate the energy level of a cartridge.

vafish
12-18-2006, 17:51
Originally posted by James Trapp

I do not think that using the factory specs is a good way to rate the energy level of a cartridge.

Different states use different methods to decide what it a powerful enough round for hunting. Some use case length, some specify caliber (ie .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 mag is OK,), some states list a barrel length of the handgun as well.

I don't think there is a perfect way. By using muzzle energy there are factors that could change it such as barrel length, by using case length it does nothing for handloads or light cowboy action loads, by listing certain calibers you might leave some excellent, but obscure or brand new rounds off the list (S+W just introduced the 460 magnum but DNR hasn't caught up yet so you can't use your new gun).

No matter which method you use to designate proper rounds for deer hunting, in the end the hunter still has to use some common sense in their choices.