Natural Family Planning? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Natural Family Planning?

pixel218
12-04-2006, 12:45
Hi everyone. I am considering becoming Catholic, and have been looking into Natural Family Planning. Does anyone use this method? I have found several statistics from Catholic sites, but I haven't found many on more unbiased sites. Does anyone have any statistics on NFP vs. other birth control methods? Thanks!

Lesh
12-04-2006, 13:03
They have a name for people who use that method..... Parent ;)

jb911
12-04-2006, 13:12
Family planning............0

Children............6

:laughabove: :thumbsup: :tongueout: :rofl:

PilotKitten
12-04-2006, 14:30
From what I understand it's the most time intensive method ever conceived of (no pun intended).

And really, just not for me... lol. You have to check your mucous every morning (we have mucous? :shocked: ) to see the consistency and color (more :shocked: ), keep track of temperatures and a whole slew of other stuff.

If it's done right it DOES help prevent conception, but 80% of the time, people just don't do it right or keep up with it like they should.

Talk to your doctor before you talk to the priest is my advice.

Lesh
12-04-2006, 14:54
Gloria Estefan had a song about it:
The Rhythm is gonna get you

RF7126
12-04-2006, 16:29
Thanks for all the replies. I had no intention of stopping my birth control without speaking to my doctor first, I just wanted some other peoples perspectives. Most likely I will never give up my birth control, even if I become Catholic.

Edit: I accidentally sumbitted this as RF7126, instead of Pixel218.

Patricia
12-05-2006, 06:41
My parents are devout Catholics, and I was raised Catholic. That being said, I am a natural family planning baby, and knew many many others when I was a kid. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is difficult. Good luck, with whatever you decide. :wavey:

Mrs. VR
12-05-2006, 08:38
I took a class on it, and it really WASNT that hard to follow. We used it for about a year, and then used it to get pregnant the first month we tried with our second. It's not good if you're too lazy to chart, but it's not that difficult. I don't think ANYONE claims that it's as effective as pharmaceutical contraceptives though. For us, it was effective, and had it not been, it wouldn't have been devestating.

That said...I was concieved while my mom was on an IUD, so I suppose if getting pregnant would be devestating, there's only really ONE good answer. :supergrin:

SouthernGal
12-05-2006, 09:35
Originally posted by pixel218
Hi everyone. I am considering becoming Catholic, and have been looking into Natural Family Planning. Does anyone use this method? I have found several statistics from Catholic sites, but I haven't found many on more unbiased sites. Does anyone have any statistics on NFP vs. other birth control methods? Thanks!

I see you are looking for stats on this. I can tell you that some of the types of oral contraceptives that I was on feature a chart that shows the typical failure rate of NFP vs oral contraceptives vs condom usage, etc.

You may want to check with friends on pills--it would be in their package insert that came with their pills. You can also probably check with a local pharmacist to see if they have such literature that came with shipments of pills.

Mrs. VR
12-05-2006, 09:56
I found this on familydoctor.orgHow effective are these methods in helping a couple avoid pregnancy?

These methods can help a couple avoid pregnancy if the couple receives training from a specialized instructor and if they carefully follow all of the instructions provided. (Ask your doctor how to find an instructor who is specially trained in teaching natural family planning.) Both methods can be 90% to 98% effective (2 to 10 pregnancies per 100 couples) when they are practiced correctly. However, if a couple doesn't follow the instructions completely, these methods will be much less effective. In practice, these methods may not be as reliable as other forms of birth control.

Return to top

also, the guttmacher institute says 9% failure rate. Im sure the rate of failure has a LOT to do with instruction, and how well you implement it. Like I said, it's not good if you're too lazy to chart. Honestly though, it's not THAT time consuming.

pixel218
12-05-2006, 11:44
Thanks. One of the speakers on the station I listen to claimed that it was MORE effective than oral contraceptives, but I thought that was BS. I am currently using Seasonale and love it, but I didn't notice anything in my package insert about effectivenes compared to other products. Thanks again for all the advice.

SouthernGal
12-05-2006, 13:20
Thanks. One of the speakers on the station I listen to claimed that it was MORE effective than oral contraceptives, but I thought that was BS. I am currently using Seasonale and love it, but I didn't notice anything in my package insert about effectivenes compared to other products. Thanks again for all the advice.

I'm on Seasonale too and there's no stats on their package insert. But, I've been on 10 different kinds in my lifetime and I know at least 2 or 3 of those had these stats you're looking for on them.

kcb
12-05-2006, 16:27
Speaking from experience, you ABSOLUTELY have to be motivated to do what you are suppose to do!

I agree with Sharon!

I'm not Catholic, but...that doesn't mean you can't try this if you aren't doing well on other methods of Birth Control.

:hugs:

pixel218
12-05-2006, 17:55
My current birth control works wonderfully, and I normally would never give it up. However, since I am looking into Catholicism, I am also exploring "church approved" methods.

PrincessTaurus
12-06-2006, 18:06
My current birth control works wonderfully, and I normally would never give it up. However, since I am looking into Catholicism, I am also exploring "church approved" methods. My sister is Catholic and used birth control. I can't take the pill. Ugghhh...I tried. It played havoc with my system. I think that every woman needs to make reproductive choices herself with doctor's input (or midwife's). You'll figure out what's right for YOU.

I know the pill isn't right for me. However, spermicidal gel/foam works great! I know it's not as effective. But, I'm a whole lot easier to be with off the pill.

Take care!

And, my friend got pregnant very quickly using Natural Family Planning and although wasn't devastated, was frustrated.

Wordsmith
12-08-2006, 14:48
My wife decided to try the natural family planning method of birth control (she's a R.N., for what it's worth.). She purchased the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility," read the entire thing, and liked what she heard enough to give it a go.

Three months later, we were pregnant. We're expecting a girl in June.

As best we can determine, a rather stressful event a couple of months ago is probably the culprit. It was a bad enough situation to throw my wife's cycle off, and so she ended up ovulating late. Oh, well. :)

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. We'll be very happy when our first child comes into the world, even if it's sooner than we planned.

I'm not completely critical of this method of birth control, but at least consider first whether your cycles are 100% predictable. If not, you might want to try something else.

Just my 2 cents.

And no, we're not Catholic.