Help killing the pig [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help killing the pig

archipimp
12-04-2006, 17:25
I have a pig problem. I have never had the opportunity to hunt pigs before. I think it is a ferrel hog or hybrid of large size and I think there is more than one of them. This weekend I found what I thought was a wallow and I found some poop that I know did not belong to any other animal I am familiar with on my place. It was a spoor of considerable heft. I have tried some "bait" called Hog Wild. It seems to attract deer so far but not pigs. I have limited opportunity to sit and wait a long time to ambush the pig.

what is the best practice for this? I know they are supposed to have really sensitive sense of smell- how can you prevent them detecting you?

I think they are nocturnal- is there any chance of getting them in day light?

Are they averse to light at night?

what works for bait? Anything else I should know?

noway
12-04-2006, 17:35
what is the best practice for this? I know they are supposed to have really sensitive sense of smell- how can you prevent them detecting you?

Same as with deer, stay downwind

I think they are nocturnal- is there any chance of getting them in day light?
Not really, yuo can have hogs active late nigh/morning and daylight. Unlike deer hogs can't shed heat as quick so during hu=ot months they will bed down in moist dirt ( wallows ) and or by water.

Are they averse to light at night?

they are like a dog or cat and can see better during night and their eyes are good to piss poor during daylights.

what works for bait? Anything else I should know?

One grain is the best "corn". Yeap corn or any deer feed will attract hogs and they will "hog up" ( pun intended ) the feed. You can use various scent attractors. I've used texas boar scents and atrtact every other animal other than hog. Deer, dog , and cow are where interested in the scent.

Not don't be suprise on what I'm going to say next, I've used my own crap and had ahog come out and sniff it. It wasn't spooked or anything.

archipimp
12-04-2006, 17:47
Thank you Noway- that is very helpful.

I have deer feeders at the property and while the hogs have eaten some of the corn they dont seem to keep it all completely cleaned up.

I have tried a bait called "hog wild" and it does not contain phermones. Do you think that sex bait is better than food bait?

Should I use a spot light? Can I use a lantern? If I use lights should they be filtered with any particular color of lense or filter?

BowHunter252
12-04-2006, 20:57
When I was hunting hogs, I saw them much more often when I was just walking around the woods. I had a small one run right up on me, probably came within 3 feet of me.

noway
12-04-2006, 21:24
I have tried a bait called "hog wild" and it does not contain phermones. Do you think that sex bait is better than food bait?

Will I'm not a hog doctor but unless the boar hog is horny, he might not go for the scent. Hogs don't have a rut like a deer or in heat (oestrus )like a cat/dog would, so you can use attractive year round. I still perfer food over attractive and most hogs will always goes for food also. Those two attractive was used on a cotton swab or tink's scentbomb and I never saw one hog and I sat out on that locations from civil-twilight to sunset. One doe deer walked by and sniff, a lost or free running dog and about 3 cows all came in and sniffed. The one cow even got spooked by it. I've also used corn syrup , cane syrup and peanut butter and = NO HOG, but other animals did cautiously approach these alternative scents.

Right now I'm on the fence with using scents as an attractive. I personally believe unless you scent the area on a regular basis and get the "animals used to it" you spook them more vrs feed. So that means before you hunt that area, laid the scent you want to use on a regular basis. Like every day or if not possible as much as possible.

just my 2cts on the matter

Should I use a spot light? Can I use a lantern? If I use lights should they be filtered with any particular color of lense or filter?

That all depends on you state-laws. In florida you can't , but TX you can.

You can spot light a hog with a simple white light sources. I've stumble on and nearly ran'd over by hogs while walking to my blind at 0430 in picth darkness with either a LED head flashlight or redlight so I think these 2 would be lesser intrusive than a big brighter 2million candlepower hand lanterns.

Tho one thing, "The higher stronger lights will let you see them father away"

One of the worst feeling and sound is to hear at 0430 pitch dark & on a new moon , a hog grunt and it 's like 5-10ft away and running ( hopefully away ) ;)

bigdaddycool
12-05-2006, 10:19
what i use for hogs: first find an area with fresh sign. dig a hole 12-18" deep and 8-10" around pour corn in hole put a little diesel fuel on top ( keeps coons and other critters out of it) cover with a couple inches of dirt and put a package of strawberry jello powder on top. check it every couple of days. it might take them a week or so to find it. but once they do. your gonna be shootin pigs.

archipimp
12-05-2006, 11:39
Interesting info. I guess I am making this harder than it really is in my mind.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone being attacked by a hog without any provocation? I know that they are known to be vengeful if you mess with them or corner them, but do they ever just attack people with out the person doing anything to them first?

I heard one grunt the other day and I had a rookie deer hunter with me and his 11 year old son. I would have gone after the thing except i didnt know what to expect and I didnt want my guests to be exposed to risk.

I am in TX so I can spotlight them. I will try the jello and corn.

noway
12-05-2006, 14:10
Has anyone ever heard of anyone being attacked by a hog without any provocation?

nope.

Most of the charges are when the hog is cornered, dog barking at it, or it's injured, or a mother sow answering a call of a pig or piglet. or like my example you startle the hog and he was unexpecting your intended path or didn't see/hear/smell you coming.

If a florida-wildhog decided to charge me out in the wild without provocation I would be very happy & and welcome his charge, cuz it will mean I will come home with some bacon and didn't have to go out searching for it. ;)

archipimp
12-05-2006, 14:13
Thats what I thought, but wanted confirmation. Thanks again Noway!

Sharker
12-08-2006, 09:17
If you want pigs there are two sure fire ways...
One is to sour mash some corn... put corn in a bucket, fill with water, and a couple days later you will have a foul smelling hog attractant.

The other way is you spread some used motor oil out over a few feet, getting plenty on some trees the hogs will flock to it (this is more so in the summer). The oil helps them keep parasites at bay, and keeps them cool. You dont need much oil... just enough to get them into it. I have heard that cooking oil (like the oil you used to fry a turkey) works as well, but have no first hand experience.