replacement of awards [Archive] - Glock Talk


View Full Version : replacement of awards

12-06-2006, 20:21
my AAM and ARCOM awards were covered in a nice red kool-ade this afternoon while my wife was redoing my office is it possible to have the actual paper document replaced? i have checked several places and can not find a solid answer any ideas??


12-06-2006, 22:14
You might want to try here-

12-07-2006, 18:43
deadbolt you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks so much


01-02-2007, 11:12

01-07-2007, 19:08
At the Citation Express site, I looked at the Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation paper citation and it says "FOR OUTSTANDING HEROISM IN ACTION". But the MUC may be awarded for combat OR non-combat meritorious achievement, so these citations must be generally generic. I was awarded mine while attached to the unit supporting the Apollo moon mission space capsule recoveries and I will probably never know what the paper citation said.

NARA (the Gov't archives center) will get your request (at least for the Navy) to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. But getting paper replacement citations from them does seem unlikely.

My DD-214 had 3 ribbons/awards listed on it. It did NOT have the MUC listed, but I knew that I should have been awarded that ribbon. I did an online request for my awards, to the NPRC and in a brief 18 months :sad:, received in the mail, the ribbons and medals that the Navy Dept said I was entitled to (unless they happened to be out of stock - which they were for 1/2 of them). There were eight awards all together - the 3 on my DD-214, the MUC, and 4 more that I didn't even know I had. The document accompanying the awards was NOT a DD-215 (updated 214), however; it was a NAVPERS 1650/65. Presumably, I could get a DD-215 out of them in another 18 months or so...

BTW, there was no explanation of what the related qualifying service may be or any paper citation accompanying these awards. I don't know how you get those details.

It would be my advice to start on this pursuit immediately. If you are 20 years old or less, you may live long enough to get some valid answers. I am in my 50's so probably don't have enough time left...


01-08-2007, 23:35
Some years ago, I dropped a note to my US Representative about the same issue. They put me in touch with a government agency (not a private firm selling this stuff). I sent in my DD214, and for a small charge per award (just a few bucks each) they sent me all six medals with my name engraved on the back, the ribbons for each along with necessary oak leaf clusters, and the personalized paper certificates in their plastic portfolio.

This was all accomplished in about 60 days. I don't recall the source, but you may want to check via your US Rep.

01-09-2007, 01:18
Originally posted by JimmyMN
...This was all accomplished in about 60 days. I don't recall the source, but you may want to check via your US Rep.
60 days? I'm moving to MN! :)

01-14-2007, 23:50
Originally posted by SARDG
60 days? I'm moving to MN! :) No need to move, just call your U.S. Representative's office and get an aide to work on it ASAP! If you're a member of a veterans group like VFW, American Legion, DAV, etc., be sure to mention that to them.

01-16-2007, 05:09
I received every single one of my medals and awards for free (no shipping costs or anything) by visiting: and spending a few minutes filling out the form. Very simple and 100% free.

01-16-2007, 14:14
Originally posted by 82ndAbn
I received every single one of my medals and awards for free... Very simple and 100% free.
Surely you "gave" something for those medals... 3 years, 4 years, 20 years? Perhaps your hearing, or your sight, or a limb? What was it?

All gave some, some gave all.

Yes, as I explained above, that link will do it. But I waited an incredible 18 months for the awards. YMMV