question for WRX guys [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question for WRX guys

wewalkamongyou
12-07-2006, 09:46
Can you get by with regular unleaded? what problems might you have if you tried it?

Bushflyr
12-12-2006, 00:22
Your car will probably not blow up. But it's really dumb. Just think spending $6000 on a match rifle then shooting Wolf in it.

A stock ECU will pull timing and boost when it detects pinging to prevent damage. If you're tuned it MAY still have some protection depending on the tuning method and level. If you NEED to run reg to get home, you'll be fine if you stay off boost. Bad idea in general.

tehan2
12-12-2006, 12:16
Lets say you drive 20K miles a year and you get 20 miles a gallon.

That's 1000 gallons of gas a year. The average diff. in price between 87 octane and 93 octane is 20 cents a gallon.

That's $200 a year, $3.85 a week, $0.55 a day.

Have 1 less vendi mochachinno a week and put good gas in your car. Nevermind that MAYBE it will do damage to your motor, the reduction in performance is worth the $3.85 and also don't forget about the change in your MPG from the lower octane.

Diesel Scout
12-13-2006, 00:16
Originally posted by Bushflyr
Your car will probably not blow up. But it's really dumb. Just think spending $6000 on a match rifle then shooting Wolf in it.

Great analogy!

epsylum
12-13-2006, 17:55
Originally posted by Bushflyr

Seen people do that. ;) Actually I have a friend who shot Brown Bear out of his USPc 9mm. The guy at the range used the performance car/cheap gas analogy. See it works both ways. ;)

If the mfg. recommends it, it is best to use it. If they thought the car could run worth a damn on the low octane stuff, they would not tell you to run premium only. Not to mention that if you do damage your car by running 87 octane and try to get warrantee work, they can tell and void your warrantee. I know my brother was a motorcycle mechanic for almost a decade and on any kind of warrantee work where they suspect the use of the wrong type of fluids, the manufacturer has the parts sent to a lab where they test it to find out what was actually used. If it comes back that the owner ignored the manufacturer's advice, they will not cover it.