Advise requested on which route to take [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advise requested on which route to take


Aeroscoper
12-11-2006, 11:35
After reading through some of these posts, I guess someone such as myself isn't so uncommon after-all.

I'm 34, have a B.S in Biology, and want to serve. I would rather go the OCS route, but everyone pretty much have said I'm too old.

My recruiter advises me to go enlistement, then to M.I. training...then try to get into OCS that way.

I want to serve, but from what I've read, it seems that it will be quite a frustrating endeavor, being surrounded by so many younger guys. I can typically get alone with most anyone, so I don't think that just the age thing or taking orders from someone younger will be too much of an issue...but I'd rather be with people closer in age/maturity/viewpoints.

So, what should I do? Play hardball? My recruiter took me to his boss, the main guy at the station, and he's pretty much the one that gave the no-no to the OCS route.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, by my wife and family as well as myself.

Keep up the good fight.

jmshady
12-11-2006, 15:15
What is it you want to do in the Military?

Sam White
12-11-2006, 18:38
+1

Joining the Army as either an enlisted person or signing up for enlistment with the OCS option are the FIRST steps of serving in the Army. You need to think about your goals and plans for yourself and how you can make those things happen with your Army service.

People always tell college graduates "definitely go to OCS," but what do YOU want?

Why is your recruiting station telling you "no" on OCS?

Just so that you know, you will have enlist first, attend Basic Combat Training, and then you will attend OCS. After that you will attend the Officer Basic Course for your branch. Then it will be on to your unit.

FDC
12-11-2006, 19:15
Originally posted by pierrebazukhov
+1

Joining the Army as either an enlisted person or signing up for enlistment with the OCS option are the FIRST steps of serving in the Army. You need to think about your goals and plans for yourself and how you can make those things happen with your Army service.

People always tell college graduates "definitely go to OCS," but what do YOU want?

Why is your recruiting station telling you "no" on OCS?

Just so that you know, you will have enlist first, attend Basic Combat Training, and then you will attend OCS. After that you will attend the Officer Basic Course for your branch. Then it will be on to your unit.

AR 601-210 That's all the recruiters have to go on.;)

Sam White
12-11-2006, 19:44
FDC, you see many age waivers given for OCS? Just curious. I know in the Reserves they were pretty common.:)

Aeroscoper
12-11-2006, 20:06
I have some background that would seem very useful in today's world. A foreign language, years and years of supervisory/management, and tons of computer knowledge.

Human Intel is what I"m interested in. Not sure if I meet the qualifications for that field but that's what I'd want to pursue.

The limitation is my age...34. I played D1 college Lacrosse, so still in decent shape. I'm pretty confident I can hang with any youngin' when it comes to physical or mental abilities...but I keep hearing again and again about how tough it would be working around such young folk.

Any advice or suggestions are very welcome, and very appreciated.

Aeroscoper
12-11-2006, 20:14
Originally posted by pierrebazukhov
+1

Joining the Army as either an enlisted person or signing up for enlistment with the OCS option are the FIRST steps of serving in the Army.

I'm sorry I was a bit vague. I was hoping to get the OCS option in my contract, but my recruiter advised to just do a normal enlistment, then to pursue applying for OCS down the line.

Currahee
12-12-2006, 05:25
AR 350-51 states that the age cutoff for Army OCS is 30 unless you have prior service.

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r350_51.pdf

Army National Guard is covered under AR 5350-51.

You can also check ATTRS for more info on OCS

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/prerequisites.aspx?fy=2007&sch=071&crs=2-7-F1&phase=&clsflag=


My advice to you would be: if you really have always dreamed of joining the military and serving your country, then enlist. The clock is ticking and you won't get any younger. Sign up for 3 yrs. This gets you the best set of options and you can try it out and see if you like it. If you get out after 3 years, plan on going back to school in order to springboard back into civilian life - perhaps your masters degree.

What kind of job do you want to do? Infantry? Intel?

I live in Columbia, MD. I left the military in March of this year, I was infantry, stationed at Ft. Carson, CO.

If you want to do intel, why not join NSA or the DIA?

FDC
12-12-2006, 06:21
Originally posted by pierrebazukhov
FDC, you see many age waivers given for OCS? Just curious. I know in the Reserves they were pretty common.:)

Seriously, none for RA or Reserves. I know the NG guys did some. This is from the 01-04 time-frame in New England. Not saying they can't happen, or didn't happen elsewhere.

Aeroscoper
12-12-2006, 11:19
Originally posted by Currahee
AR 350-51 states that the age cutoff for Army OCS is 30 unless you have prior service.

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r350_51.pdf

Army National Guard is covered under AR 5350-51.

You can also check ATTRS for more info on OCS

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/prerequisites.aspx?fy=2007&sch=071&crs=2-7-F1&phase=&clsflag=


What kind of job do you want to do? Infantry? Intel?

I live in Columbia, MD. I left the military in March of this year, I was infantry, stationed at Ft. Carson, CO.

If you want to do intel, why not join NSA or the DIA?

After looking up some of the MOS's, I'd definately like to go into human intelligence gathering type field. The reason I don't join NSA or DIA is I doubt I'd be even considered due to lack of background?

What are the chances I could get an advanced degree while in active service? Would the military help pay for that?

I grew up in Ellicott City, had a g/f lived off of Redbranch.

Thanks for the advice, btw, get the 10mm, they are fun! :thumbsup:

Currahee
12-12-2006, 11:37
I go to the Colosseum gym off of Red Branch Rd... small world, huh? If you haven't been back to the area in a while it has changed quite a bit over the last 10 years.

Back to the topic at hand...

If you are thinking of enlisting to do something like Counter Intelligence - from what I saw those guys have a very interesting job on deployment and they don't wear their rank. So if you can get that kind of job and get deployed you will probably enjoy it. You'll interact directly with the decision makers at every level, which means you'll be dealing more with people of your age and maturity level.

Like I said, if this is something that you've always dreamed of and really want - they by all mean enlist. The Army is a wonderful institution and I learned more in my few years there than in 4 years of college. (And I enlisted as well)

Just make sure that your recruiter gets you the job that you want. When I went they told me that all the Airborne slots were closed, so I told them "too bad, see ya later" and magically a slot opened up. Go figure! Like I said earlier, if you have a friend who has been in the military, take them with you when you talk to the recruiter. Just have them sit in and listen.

Aeroscoper
12-13-2006, 23:37
Originally posted by Currahee
I go to the Colosseum gym off of Red Branch Rd... small world, huh? If you haven't been back to the area in a while it has changed quite a bit over the last 10 years.

Back to the topic at hand...

If you are thinking of enlisting to do something like Counter Intelligence - from what I saw those guys have a very interesting job on deployment and they don't wear their rank. So if you can get that kind of job and get deployed you will probably enjoy it. You'll interact directly with the decision makers at every level, which means you'll be dealing more with people of your age and maturity level.

Like I said, if this is something that you've always dreamed of and really want - they by all mean enlist. The Army is a wonderful institution and I learned more in my few years there than in 4 years of college. (And I enlisted as well)

Just make sure that your recruiter gets you the job that you want. When I went they told me that all the Airborne slots were closed, so I told them "too bad, see ya later" and magically a slot opened up. Go figure! Like I said earlier, if you have a friend who has been in the military, take them with you when you talk to the recruiter. Just have them sit in and listen.

Small world indeed. Last time I was up there was about 2 years ago, they were putting up condos all over the mall. I can remember the traffic getting bad, it must be insane now.

Well thanks for the advice, that's actually one of the fields I was considering. I'm really excited actually, I'll be taking about a 80% paycut, but I have this strange feeling I'll be alot happier, goes to show you the limitations of cashola I guess.

Cya round the forums soldier :supergrin:

Currahee
12-14-2006, 05:49
Best of luck with enlisting. If you do sign a contract, come back and let us know what MOS you ended up with, when your report date is, etc.

Take care

Soul Hunter
12-24-2006, 02:11
not much background needed to get into the intelligence field. they pretty much train you up and that holds true for nsa, dia and certainly over at cia. in fact, you might want to hit up cia's website and take a look at the cst program and see if that's up your alley.

shawnt64
12-26-2006, 08:08
i got the same run around so i went enlisted. amusingly found out during processing at basic that they would give me an age waiver, i am 41 with a bio degree, to go to ocs after graduating ait. i have people in my platoon that are going ocs after basic, but they are in the age range. heard that you have to pass the enlisted pt requirements with 90% just to get in ocs and that is pretty damn difficult. i am in great shape and am only at 80% so you really need to start your training now. need to show up at basic being able to do about fifty sit ups and forty push ups- those numbers will just barely pass the enlisted standards. oh and you better get out there and run. two miles in the low 13 minutes should get you in ocs :thumbsup:

i see a lot of ankle and knee injuries knocking people out and getting them reset. what a pain in the ass that is to repeat basic :sad: if you have been active playing ball or whatever those tendons should be in shape


you have to go enlisted first so suck it up and think of like an outstanding excercise, spa, and shooting range retreat.

stores
12-30-2006, 17:43
The service is what you make of it. I put in three with the 25th at the end of Viet Nam. Was suppost to go to Helo school and fly, but at the end of VN the Army did a RIF and I lost the seat to fly. Remember that the needs of the service come first. Got out and went to school for a while then went into the Navy Reserve then went active for another 22 years in the Navy as an enlisted.

The difference between the service is great. I saw some places while in the Army that I would have never seen as a sailor. Then again I had more fun...make that FUN in the Navy. Different circumstances, time, place and job. Different kinds of people too. Like the previous posts, decide what you want to do then go for it. I encountered probably two dozen Army and Marines that went into the Navy for what ever reason. Also met a SEAL that went into the Marines and was a station keeper at a reserve center. Different strokes... Best of luck, fair winds and following seas.

sts47
12-31-2006, 06:44
Originally posted by Currahee
AR 350-51 states that the age cutoff for Army OCS is 30 unless you have prior service.

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r350_51.pdf

Army National Guard is covered under AR 5350-51.

You can also check ATTRS for more info on OCS

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/prerequisites.aspx?fy=2007&sch=071&crs=2-7-F1&phase=&clsflag=




I've talked to my wife about how i've loved my military service, and now she is thinking about going in to the JAG program for which you have to go through OCS, cutoff is 35.. when done with her law school she'll be 33. Easy way to pay off her graduate loans and get the 3-5 years experience necessary for most big law firms.

Being prior service, I'll probably finish my degree and go to OCS also if she decides to go in. I can't wait actually. Haven't decided if i want to stay with the Army though.

I was stationed on an AF base once, and i REALLY liked the amenities. The AF also has a direct correlation to my current MOS.

sts47
12-31-2006, 06:48
Originally posted by stores
The service is what you make of it. I put in three with the 25th at the end of Viet Nam. Was suppost to go to Helo school and fly, but at the end of VN the Army did a RIF and I lost the seat to fly. Remember that the needs of the service come first. Got out and went to school for a while then went into the Navy Reserve then went active for another 22 years in the Navy as an enlisted.

The difference between the service is great. I saw some places while in the Army that I would have never seen as a sailor. Then again I had more fun...make that FUN in the Navy. Different circumstances, time, place and job. Different kinds of people too. Like the previous posts, decide what you want to do then go for it. I encountered probably two dozen Army and Marines that went into the Navy for what ever reason. Also met a SEAL that went into the Marines and was a station keeper at a reserve center. Different strokes... Best of luck, fair winds and following seas.

+1 on the fun. Glad i did it.

Miss it. Can't go back because of marriage, but if things work out (see previous post) i'll be back in. Currently i'm applying to the local PD and the state patrol. I need to DO things and GO places.