any good way to catch a trout? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any good way to catch a trout?

Andy W
12-11-2006, 16:36
I am occasionally able to go trout fishing but can't seem to get them to bite? Is there some a trick to catch them? I fish with a fly rod if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated.

suckersrus
12-11-2006, 18:14
Here is my secret:

Purchase a number 14 Royal Coachman Nutheimer with blue legs.

It will have been coated with a clear lacquer that usually fills the eye of the hook. Unless this is removed it will be impossible to thread the line through it. So use the tip of a small pointy knife blade and "spin" it in both sides of the eye.

Use 5 to 10 lb limit monofiliment, tie it on using the single clinch knot.

Again, using the small knife, scrape off all the fly material and lacquer.

Once the hook is clean, roll a small piece (the size of a pea) of mild cheddar cheese and place it on the hook.

In a clear stream, (Swanson river, Kenai Peninsula) that harbors a good population of trout, drop the baited hook in a quiet deep pool.

Get ready. When the line goes taunt, your hands are about to smell fishy.

Seriously though, when fishing with a flyrod I look for what the fish are eating. Check in the water (small mesh net) and under rocks in the water. Look on the banks for bugs, worms, skeeters, mayflys, maggots, hoppers, whatever. Look on overhanging branches.
Then, select a fly that looks like the little critters you just found.
The best way to figure out what the fish are eating is actually catch one then cut it open. If its belly is full of grasshoppers, you just cracked the code. Use a fly that looks like a grasshopper or use a tiny hook and a real hopper.

My opening story was meant to be humorus but it was true. While floating the Swanson River a couple years ago, I could not get the trout to rise to a fly. So I cleaned the hook, added a piece of cheese and started catching trout.

Esox357
12-12-2006, 10:02
Keep the rod tip down in the water just enough to let you feel the strike quicker. Trout can grab quickly and you miss them, also make sure you are using sharp hooks or sharpen them if they are dull. Make sure that you keep the slack out of the line! Sooner or later you will hook one it will take some time. Esox357.