Wsm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wsm

EL COLONEL
12-11-2006, 18:21
HI, Just wandering if anyone hunts with a 270 WSM not the regular 270 ? Opinions?????:supergrin:

Vic303
12-11-2006, 18:43
Col, did you mean to post this in the Hunting Forum? You might get more responses there.

BillRiley
12-12-2006, 18:01
I have a Browning A-Bolt composite stalker in .270 WSM. I reload a 140 grain Hornady SST bullet with whivh I hunt deer and the occasional bobcat. If I do my part the gun and bullet perform great. I recovered a bullet last year on a 175 yd +- shot last year. It was an angled chest shot that entered the ribcage passed through the shoulder but didn't exit the hide. The bullet mushroomed perfectly and the doe didn't run far. With my reloads I can get dime sized groups at one hundred yards. With factory winchester ammo I could only get 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I came to the conclusion that my gun did not like the shape of the nosler ballistic tips. The nosler bullet has a sharper point relative to the hornady's. Because the Browning has a removable magazine, the magazine limits the C.O.L. so I couldn't seat the noslers long enough and the bullet, therefore, sat too far off the lands.

My only downside to this gun and caliber combo is that the gun is light and the cartridge does have more kick than a standard .270. Follow-up shots take a littlelonger so you need to make the first shot count. Ammo is more expensive than the regular .270 but regular .270 is still too expensive to shoot regularly. This caliber is partly why I got into reloading.

EL COLONEL
12-12-2006, 20:53
Bill thanx for the info. Have you ever hunted hogs with the 270 wsm?? if so , any comments??? Thank you again.:thumbsup:

BillRiley
12-12-2006, 21:17
There are no signs of hogs where I hunt. That said, an accubond type bullet or a barnes tsx should work well on hogs. I know you can buy loaded ammo in the accubond. You may have to look a little harder but I think Federal offers a 270 wsm tsx round.

EL COLONEL
12-13-2006, 08:56
Thank you bill for all your comments. Good day sir!:wavey: