Lost another Good man [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lost another Good man

GlockPride
12-13-2006, 09:33
I knew this guy in college. We had numerous business classes together. Wasn't real close, but a good man I knew I could reason with and have courteous conversation with. Exact same age as I am. Was very popular and helpful around campus.

Former HU Football Player Micah Gifford Killed in Iraq

Dec. 11, 2006

Micah Gifford played football at Harding from 1998-2002.

SEARCY – The Department of Defense announced Sunday the death of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. One of the soldiers killed was former Harding University football player Micah Gifford, 27.

The two soldiers died of injuries suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated near their unit while on patrol during combat operations in Baghdad, Iraq, on Dec. 7. Both soldiers were assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 509th Infantry Regiment (Airborne), 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

Gifford, a native of Redding, Calif., earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Harding in 2002. He played 31 games as a defensive lineman and linebacker from 1998-2002. His senior season, Gifford had 43 of his 61 career tackles and helped lead one of the most successful Bison football teams in school history to a 9-2 overall record.

“Micah was a great teammate,” said Harding head coach Randy Tribble. “He was really an unselfish player who made everyone that played with him better.”

Gifford is survived by his parents, Dale and Marsha, and two brothers, Matt and Ben. Their address is:

2910 Volley Circle
Meadow Vista, CA 95722

Funeral information is pending. A memorial service is planned in Searcy for January 20 with more details will follow, and a memorial scholarship fund at Harding has been established in his name.

A Web site has been set up for you to express your sympathy at:

http://www.micahgifford.com/

Please keep Micah’s family and the rest of our troops in your prayers.

RIP-Micah! Prayers to all remaining in the war zone!

GlocknAK
12-31-2006, 11:07
I am sorry to hear about CPL Gifford. I was stationed at FT. Rich when they were standing up.

From what I have read, he was the kind of Soldier I would have wanted to serve with, and a person who's friendship I would have valued greatly.

Godspeed brother.

pesticidal
12-31-2006, 11:16
:patriot:

GlocknAK
12-31-2006, 11:17
double tap..... somehow