need pic of CH-46 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : need pic of CH-46

glockdeacon
12-14-2006, 13:49
My fiance's uncle flew the Ch-46 when he was in the core. For Christmas, we would like to get a big print of a CH-46 in a frame for his office. Anyone have a hi def digital image? or know a good source? I have searched online but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Thanks in Advance

gruntmedik
12-14-2006, 15:58
You may try to PM FLMarine on here, he flies them. Take a look in the Vehicle Forum under Flight Deck, look at "Experience and ratings" thread, 2nd page, about 2/3 the way down, you'll see a pic of one of his.

blubottlemax
12-15-2006, 17:45
How big of a picture were you looking for? I do not have any good digital photos, but I have a ton of standard ones, I was a CH-46 crewchief for 5 years. I've never really blown any of them up to see what the resolution would look like. I do have a picture of a CH-46E performing a main mount landing on a peak in Africa. Its an 8X10 shot that was taken in 1998 during a training exercise. Only those of us on the excersise have a copy (maybe 10 total). I can see if I can get it scanned this weekend and send you a copy if that would work.

BTW, google images has a ton of photos, just make sure you pull up a Marine Corps and not a Navy version. There are also a ton of photos at www.popasmoke.com, but I do not know what the resolution is like.

MCSGT
12-16-2006, 21:15
Here's the best picture I have.....taken in Iraq 05.

blubottlemax
12-18-2006, 10:07
Originally posted by MCSGT
Here's the best picture I have.....taken in Iraq 05.

Sorry to get off topic, but Were you in HMM-364? I seperated from them in 2001.

MCSGT
12-18-2006, 10:20
No, I was just on the same base in the Anbar providence.....thought it would make a good picture.

Steve in PA
12-24-2006, 23:31
Beirut, Lebanon.....1983

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/pff35623a3f4ae88536d7dcc97aecd39f/eb797a10.jpg

Steve in PA
12-24-2006, 23:33
And another. Of course these were back in the day of good old 35mm film. No digitals back then!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p17ab9ad6ca73c824fa7ba99da21aef62/f9ccdeca.jpg

Kingslayer
12-26-2006, 13:21
I've never understood FAST roping. I was only in a CH46 once and I told my Lt. that he'd courtmartial me before I got on another. That said, tying myself to one by a string doesn't make it any better.

To many stories of guys screwing up and getting flown into the sides of dipsy dumpsters.

BONG!!!

blubottlemax
12-26-2006, 16:19
Your thinking of SPIE rigging, Special Purpose Insertion Extraction. Ive been on both ends of the rope. Worst thing Ive ever seen happen is one guy lost his kevlar and it landed about 100 yards from I-5 by Camp Pendleton. That made my heart skip a few beats. We always knew exactly how long the rig was, and therefore how high we had to fly to avoid any obstacles. If we ever smacked anyone against anything, I'm sure we all would have lost our wings. Fast roping is just sliding down a thick rope with leather gloves and using friction in the last few feet to slow you down before hitting the ground. Also great fun! :rofl:

Kingslayer
12-27-2006, 11:35
SPIE rigging, that right. FAST roping is where you just slide down the rope. That didn't make much sense to me. In fact, anything with a helo involved didn't make much sense to me.

That's why I went Amtracks. If they sink, I can swim.

Although one of my most memorable moments came from a helo. I got to watch one drop a humvee from quite a ways up at 29 Palms. That was fun to watch.

blubottlemax
12-27-2006, 16:15
Originally posted by Kingslayer
SPIE rigging, that right. FAST roping is where you just slide down the rope. That didn't make much sense to me. In fact, anything with a helo involved didn't make much sense to me.

That's why I went Amtracks. If they sink, I can swim.

Although one of my most memorable moments came from a helo. I got to watch one drop a humvee from quite a ways up at 29 Palms. That was fun to watch.

I started off as a CH-46E mechanic and after several months in my first squadron I started flight training to become an Aerial gunner/observer, and later became a homegrown (squadron trained) crewchief and Weapons and Tactics Instructor. My very first flight was supposed to be a Familiarization flight (FAM), followed by some Terrain Flight (Terf) training. Well our second aircraft had problems and couldn’t make the flight, and Terf training must be conducted with at least 2 aircraft, so the pilots decided to just do the Fam flight portion. As we were heading down the beach by Pendleton, we saw a group of 5 – 6 Amtraks pulling up out of the water. The pilot flipped a U-turn, went back and set down on the beach, and then ran over and asked them if they wanted a ride. Turns out they were all from the Amtrak school, and they jumped at the chance. But the best part (for me) was yet to come. After we had flown them all around for a while, they offered to let us drive the Amtraks! What an awesome experience that was! Up and down the beach, in and out of the water, over dunes, it was a blast. I don’t think they let me get above 3rd gear, but I still had a great time that I remember to this day.

Kingslayer
12-27-2006, 18:03
Originally posted by blubottlemax
I started off as a CH-46E mechanic and after several months in my first squadron I started flight training to become an Aerial gunner/observer, and later became a homegrown (squadron trained) crewchief and Weapons and Tactics Instructor. My very first flight was supposed to be a Familiarization flight (FAM), followed by some Terrain Flight (Terf) training. Well our second aircraft had problems and couldn’t make the flight, and Terf training must be conducted with at least 2 aircraft, so the pilots decided to just do the Fam flight portion. As we were heading down the beach by Pendleton, we saw a group of 5 – 6 Amtraks pulling up out of the water. The pilot flipped a U-turn, went back and set down on the beach, and then ran over and asked them if they wanted a ride. Turns out they were all from the Amtrak school, and they jumped at the chance. But the best part (for me) was yet to come. After we had flown them all around for a while, they offered to let us drive the Amtraks! What an awesome experience that was! Up and down the beach, in and out of the water, over dunes, it was a blast. I don’t think they let me get above 3rd gear, but I still had a great time that I remember to this day.

I spent my last three years at AVTB, Amphibious Vehicle Test Branch. Imagine all the fun you had driving one, but being told to take it out alone, almost anywhere on Camp Pendleton you wanted to, and don't come back until it's broken or it runs out of fuel. And if it's out of fuel, come back, fill it up and go back out and break it.

It was especially fun doing high speed runs out by the nuke plant. I got a speeding ticket from an MP. He wrote me up for 62 MPH and tactical vehicles have a 35 MPH speed limit. I argued with him that I was on a high speed test run and even showed him the instrumentation in the back of the vehicle. I explained to him that we had a new test engine and transmission in it and I had to find the top speed. I told him who my CO was and it didn't matter, he still wrote me up.

The Lt. Col. was waiting on the ramp when I got back and asked me if I got a speeding ticket and I told him "Yes sir, I did."

His exact words were. "Dude! How fast!".

He about crapped when I told him 62 MPH and he made me take him back out to the test course because he'd never been in an amtrack that did over 50 before.

I gotta hand it to helo pilots though, they'll do anything for you. When I was in Schools Bn. another class had an amtrack roll over out at the training area. Everyone was spazzing out because the kid in the turret couldn't get out. He tried jumping out as the amtrack rolled over and it rolled over on top of him. The corpsman said he had a pulse but I knew better considering what I found in the back of the amtrack when I opened the back hatch.

One of the marines shot up a red flare and within seconds we had 3 CH-53s that saw the flare on our position. They wanted to try and roll the amtrack over to try and save that Marine, but it's too much for them to lift. One of the pilots kept saying he could get it up enough to get him out and he was willing to try anthing to do it.

All this for a Marine he didn't know and clearly couldn't save.