Got one with the muzzle loader! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got one with the muzzle loader!

357glocker
12-14-2006, 16:22
Had one day this month to make it out and yesterday was it! Got to the property a little late and hurried to the spot. The wind was blowing from the south which is bad for this place but decided to give it a shot anyway. I had already shot 2 does and a buck during rifle season so I figured I would hold out for the monster that got a free pass from me during rifle season (I didn't have my rifle on me when we crossed paths:wavey: ) So I sat there the whole day and passed on probably 10 does and a forky buck throughout the day. Right at sunset I see six deer heading my way. They start jumping a fence and all that was coming over were does. 5 deer later a buck hops over and stands behind a tree. I can see his head and tail, no shot. The lead doe stops about 20 yrds from me and we get into the staredown. She bobs her head side to side but can't quite figure it out. The buck finally take a step forward and I send a 295gr powerbelt from my .50 through his ribs at about 40yrds. All the does take off the opposite direction but the buck runs right in my direction and past me about 4-5yrds. I could see the blood squirting out each side as he went by. He crashed into a tree, fell over, got up went another 20 or so yrds and piled up. He's not the monster I was after but at last light, the last time out couldn't hold out any longer! I am by no means dissapointed by him either though;) He has the most unique rack of the 4 bucks I've shot to date. He has two stickers at the antler base, and nubs on each of the main beams where he was really trying to be a 5x5 this year! Anyway here are the links to the pics.

357glocker
12-14-2006, 16:23
and the other

noway
12-14-2006, 16:58
{He has two stickers at the antler base, and nubs on each of the main beams where he was really trying to be a 5x5 this year! Anyway here are the links to the pics.}

I agreed that's one unique headgear. What kinda of mzl'er did you use ? haven't been a big fan of the PB but it seems to have worked just fine for you. Glad you got a deer

357glocker
12-14-2006, 21:23
I use a CVA Staghorn in-line .50cal and 100gr of pellets under the 295powerbelt. I have shot and killed the 4 deer that have been in its sights. All but one has been a complete passthrough. The one I did recover had lost alot of weight, I can't recall off the top of my head but I have it in a little plastic bag down in my reloading room.

Esox357
12-15-2006, 17:44
Awesome job Mannbr, Can't wait to get out late season and put a hurtin on some "slick" heads with the 30.06. Esox357.

bassman-dan
12-16-2006, 04:42
Good job. It would be very difficult to pass up that buck.
How much did you estimate that it weighed?

357glocker
12-16-2006, 06:46
On the processors hook without the head and legs he weighed 115lbs. So on the hoof add @50lbs.
Esox, the late season should be interesting with all the does Chris and I saw that day. Lets see how the 64gr Power Points work out of the AR-15.