Is 9mm an adequate hunting round? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is 9mm an adequate hunting round?

borntoglock
12-16-2006, 15:15
Please forgive an obvious newbie question. I have never hunted much in my life but would like to begin. My question is does a proper 9mm round have enough kill power for deer hunting at reasonable distances?

Juell
12-16-2006, 15:51
I guess it depends on the range you'd be shooting the deer at, and the gun you'd be using, as in pistol or rifle. State laws may differ, but I'm pretty sure for deer in WA 9mm pistol hunting is a no-go.(not certain though!)
I personally wouldn't use a pistol in 9mm for deer, but I'm sure it could do the job, with good shot placement and close enough distance.
I'd say just use a centerfire rifle, unless you plan on getting REALLY close to the deer.

vafish
12-16-2006, 16:55
We've beat this to death before.

My point of view.

Service caliber handguns for deer hunting is like using a bow and arrow.

1. If you can limit yourself to only perfect broadside shots at distances of 25 yards or less.

and

2. If you can keep all your shots on a 9" paper plate at 25 yards.

and

3. If the handgun caliber you choose is legal in your state.

and

4. If you choose a proper bullet for the task.

Then a service caliber handgun like a 9MM, .40 S+W or .45 ACP can be used for hunting deer. A well placed

They are not the best choice.

Since you mention that you have never hunted before I think a 9MM handgun would be a terrible choice.

Get yourself a centerfire rifle like a .30-30, .308, .30-06, .270, .25-06 or a whole bunch of others.

After you have killed several deer with a rifle and feel you need more of a challenge, then consider using a magnum handgun like a .44 mag. with a 6" barrel.

noway
12-16-2006, 19:47
do you want the deer to fall within 100yards or 1000yards and never find it ?

Seriously if the 9mm was adequate at reasonable hunting distance why is not more commonly used in hunting WT deer?

Go look around and talk to various people that hunt w/handguns/rifles/etc... and get their opinion and see what they are using.

also you don't mention what state you live in but alot of states restrict various calibers and energy levels for hunting, thus a 9mm is one of them that's not allowed. ( BTW: florida has no such restriction )

iiibbb
12-16-2006, 21:19
Originally posted by borntoglock
Please forgive an obvious newbie question. I have never hunted much in my life but would like to begin. My question is does a proper 9mm round have enough kill power for deer hunting at reasonable distances?

Why hamstring yourself? The goal of hunting is to kill the deer quickly. Why toy with it. If budget is limiting, a used 30-30 can be had for cheap.

RWBlue
12-19-2006, 13:59
Originally posted by vafish
They are not the best choice

but will get the job done if you do yours.

I see no reason or me to use a 9mm for hunting when there are better alternatives to be had.

DonD
12-27-2006, 20:41
Vafish and Noway covered it well.

Of course a 9mm can kill a deer. I believe I've read that an elephant or two have been killed with .22LR shots into the eye socket but that is a joke at best. Eskimos have frequently killed polar bears with .22 Hornets.

Use a .243 or larger. Even then proper bullet placement is still essential. Don

Andy W
12-28-2006, 10:47
I don't think that it would be a good idea to use anything under .357 magnum handgun for deer hunting, it seems that anything below it would be cruel.