MCAS New River [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MCAS New River

Hey Mikey
12-16-2006, 18:27
I'm due to PCS to MCAS New River in Feb 2007, I have been stationed at MCAS Yuma, Az for the past 4 years, yes I'm swinging with the wing or POG as I have been called but anyways I was hoping that someone could give me some info on Jacksonville, NC and the surrounding area.

Of course the standard bar's, places to hang out, things to do, beachs that are better then others and other ***** that I didnt think of.

E5H

Kingslayer
12-17-2006, 10:25
Originally posted by Hey Mikey
I'm due to PCS to MCAS New River in Feb 2007, I have been stationed at MCAS Yuma, Az for the past 4 years, yes I'm swinging with the wing or POG as I have been called but anyways I was hoping that someone could give me some info on Jacksonville, NC and the surrounding area.

Of course the standard bar's, places to hang out, things to do, beachs that are better then others and other ***** that I didnt think of.

E5H

It's been 10 years since I was there, but I'm sure the outlook on Marines in Jacksonville is still the same. The civilians can't stand you. They have absolutely no realization that if that base picked up and moved they would all die on the vine, and their very lively hood is made from those Marines.

Beaches, go to Myrtle during spring break. The beach on base leaves a lot to be desired. Topsail isn't that bad and Wilmington has a few nice beaches.

Stay out of the jerk joints (massage parlors) if they are still there. I'm sure the strip joint right outside the main gate is still there, that was always a fun place if you were looking for a fight.

RM
12-17-2006, 10:34
J ville has actually become somewhat family friendly. A couple of years ago most the gentleman's clubs were told to either clean up or move out of town. So even the dirtwood has put on a much nicer facade.

The problem that most military communities had was the locals never included the base in population stats, so no major business would move in to service the community. Back about 5 years or so ago, the locals caught on so they started including the 70 or so thousand at Lejeune and MCAS. So the economy is large enough to support most of Americana type companies.

gruntmedik
12-17-2006, 15:19
Originally posted by RM
So even the dirtwood has put on a much nicer facade.

Ahhhh, The Soggy Log----brings back memories. :supergrin:

blubottlemax
12-18-2006, 10:10
Originally posted by gruntmedik
Ahhhh, The Soggy Log----brings back memories. :supergrin:

Wow, I never thought I would remember that place... :laughabove:

pjva04
12-19-2006, 05:15
Originally posted by blubottlemax
Wow, I never thought I would remember that place... :laughabove:

Funny how all these memories have been repressed all these years....

My vote is for Wrightsville Beach down in Wilmington. I was my last duty station was at Outhouse Bay, so Wilmington was a 30-45 minute drive. Nice to hear J-Ville has cleaned up a bit. Hopefully this includes Court Street or as it is also known "Vaccination Way".

Goint the other direction, Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach were nice diversions, as well.

Bill D
12-20-2006, 20:27
Are any of you guys old enough to remember the Jazzland and Birdland bars in J'ville? Fights and sex in the same place. Late 1966- went to Guam in Jan. 67. Orders were changed from Danang to Guam. Lucky me. My best friend enlisted with me and took an extra 5 days leave before leaving for Danang. He broke the Buddy contract and went where we had orders.
We were 3041's and he handled Agent Orange daily . L.P Matthews, (Butch) died in Oct. 2000 from cancer in his entire body. Didn't smoke or drink.Thank you, Dow Chemical Co. No compensation to wife and 5 children. Bastards!!
Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thread.

w

Kingslayer
12-21-2006, 09:20
Originally posted by pjva04
Funny how all these memories have been repressed all these years....

My vote is for Wrightsville Beach down in Wilmington. I was my last duty station was at Outhouse Bay, so Wilmington was a 30-45 minute drive. Nice to hear J-Ville has cleaned up a bit. Hopefully this includes Court Street or as it is also known "Vaccination Way".

Goint the other direction, Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach were nice diversions, as well. \

Engineer or Amtracks?

357glocker
12-22-2006, 00:22
Holy crap the Driftwood!! I forgot all about that place. There was also the one over there by Geiger off of hwy24??? There was a pretty good club off of piney green IIRC.
For the beaches, definately go to Myrtle. Bring enough beer to last into sunday or you will be making the hour and half trip back and forth to the NC border as SC is dry on sunday morning. Dont drink on the strip or you'll be arrested. The beach on Lejeune wasn't much, lots of little sharks to catch if you like fishing though.

Kingslayer
12-26-2006, 13:18
I can't remember the name of the one outside of Gieger, but it used to have a sign out front that said 29 beautiful women and 1 fat chick!

laneh2112
01-03-2007, 03:32
Toby's

Kingslayer
01-03-2007, 11:54
Originally posted by laneh2112
Toby's

BINGO!

FLBob
01-09-2007, 03:14
I was a dependent&Dad was stationed at MCAS New River in 1966 when it was classified MCAF and again in 1969.Between New River&Cherry Point I spent quite a few years in NC.I have to agree about Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle.

blubottlemax
01-10-2007, 12:16
Toby's... god that place was a dump! But it was the only thing sorta within walking distance of the front gate! :sad: :banana:

corpdriller
01-19-2007, 17:40
Man, I spent 6 yrs attatched to that place. What about AJ's. When a ship would pull out that place used to fill up with chicks. I remember many fights starting at Rota during MEU change-over because the of the line "I'll see your wife at AJ's!!!"

Get out of town on the week-ends. Go far enough away to be clear of the short-hairs as it will be too far for a taxi. Wilmington is great (UNC-W). Myrtle is awesome. Especially after they closed the AF base there years ago.

Back in the day, the locals looked at you as something they just stepped in. Actually, the hookers and "buy me drinky" girls were the only ones that didn't give you crap (just VD!!!)<--- (not from personal experience!!!)

I was there when Desert Storm started. J-ville was like a ghost town. I think they learned a few lessons then when they had to ask for federal $ because their lively-hood deployed to the desert 7000 miles away.

Of course, many of the places I have been overseas was like a J-ville appreciation tour. Hard to imagine being glad to be back to that place.

Semper fi,
Greg

Ignition
01-27-2007, 13:31
willmington is definately the place to get away from jacksonville

you think jacksonville is bad.... try the thriving metropolis of HAVELOCK

OMFG!

corpdriller
01-28-2007, 00:02
I'm glad I didn't get stationed at the PITT!!!

USMC03Grunt
02-05-2007, 21:50
Originally posted by blubottlemax
Toby's... god that place was a dump! But it was the only thing sorta within walking distance of the front gate! :sad: :banana:

Which front gate? The one with the senteries at the front or the "UA gate" that was the hole in the bottom of the fence along highway 17. Then there was Siagon Sams surplus across the street for when you lost your crap in the field and found it cheaper to hit Siagon Sams rather than have to pay supply for new gear. Then there was Gillies, the Shipwreck and another couplebars right across the highway as well. If you did go out the normal front gate, the Tarheel bar wasn't too far down the street too. I actually liked Geiger since we were there before Desert Storm. When we got back we moved to Mainside in some run down squadbays that 10th Marines used to be in right next to Hokum (sp) bulivard. Those squadbays were worse than the ones at Geiger (heard they made them into MCT barracks since we moved out) and you were pretty close to all the brass on the base as well. Nope, Geiger was a lot easier living than Mainside.

RM
02-08-2007, 11:14
Originally posted by USMC03Grunt
Which front gate? The one with the senteries at the front or the "UA gate" that was the hole in the bottom of the fence along highway 17. Then there was Siagon Sams surplus across the street for when you lost your crap in the field and found it cheaper to hit Siagon Sams rather than have to pay supply for new gear. Then there was Gillies, the Shipwreck and another couplebars right across the highway as well. If you did go out the normal front gate, the Tarheel bar wasn't too far down the street too. I actually liked Geiger since we were there before Desert Storm. When we got back we moved to Mainside in some run down squadbays that 10th Marines used to be in right next to Hokum (sp) bulivard. Those squadbays were worse than the ones at Geiger (heard they made them into MCT barracks since we moved out) and you were pretty close to all the brass on the base as well. Nope, Geiger was a lot easier living than Mainside.

10th Marines still uses that squad bays for Geo-Bachelors.

TESohio
03-02-2007, 13:15
Originally posted by USMC03Grunt

Toby's was located out side the gate of New River Air Station. Before it was a bar, it was a game room around 1982 til around 85-86?
then it changed into a bar.

USMCSKI
03-08-2007, 10:00
Fast freddies

gruntmedik
03-09-2007, 18:28
Anyone remeber Cheryl's, outside of the New River Gate? Wednesday 50 cent draft night. Or was it Thursday's?

USMCSKI
03-09-2007, 18:33
Is that the place that was right outside the back gate? a little hole in the wall former biker bar?

Me and the guys I hung out with went looking for a bar with no other jar heads ....we found one somewhere down there (i forget where) that looked like an old barn....dirt floors and all....all they sold was PBR in the can....anyhow....I think we were the only ones in the place with shoes or a full set of teeth!!!

PhillyGlock23
03-09-2007, 18:50
It has been a few years, but I remember when I was at Lejeune there was a strip bar out one of the back gates....Southern Comfort was the name. Now...I'm not much for those places....but Southern Comfort wasn't too bad. I think they had a decent cover charge and then all the cheap-ass beer you could drink. Oh...and the dancers would moonlight as prostitutes! Haha.

When I was at Lejeune I would stay on Emerald Isle. I'd have to agree that if you can swing it, definitely live off base and try to get away from "the scene." That was probably what I liked the least about being stationed there...no matter where you went, you would see somebody that you worked with! Ha.

Anyways...good luck to ya!