now I am a hunter... for real this time. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : now I am a hunter... for real this time.

iiibbb
12-16-2006, 22:27
This was my 3rd season. I've been pretty fortunate so far. Today was opening day for late muzzleloader. I got my 3rd deer in four days out this season (all before 8am). It was a doe.

What was significant about this deer is that the other 5 I've killed were at 2 locations someone else had picked. They're great spots, but I don't want to bogart them, and still want to have other places to go if those are filled.

Anyway... every other stand I've ever sat in, I've hardly ever seen a deer. I was starting to wonder if I could really pick out a good place to sit.

So I finally got one at a spot I chose myself. The shot was about 50-60 yards across the gulley I was sitting at... about 60 ft from the intermitant stream. Caught her on the trot, a tad behind the sweet spot, and she went down after she ran about 50 yards. I'm still batting 1000 (knock on wood).

Only thing that sucks about it is the 150 yard drag up the side of the ravine.

357glocker
12-17-2006, 10:05
Congrats on all the deer. As long as you're out there hunting ethically, you have always been a real hunter!
Dragging a VA doe up hill would be easier than dragging some of these NE deer downhill:tongueout: Just kidding. Both deer I killed in NC I could sling onto my shoulder and fireman carry them out. Do you know what yours weighed?

iiibbb
12-17-2006, 11:23
Bucks around here range between 100 and 180. Does I think range between 70 and 140. Mine was probably 90-100 lbs or so. That's probably a bad guess. I never have a chance to weigh them.

357glocker
12-17-2006, 11:48
That's about what ours around here are also. A 100lb field dressed doe is a good doe and is a PIA to drag. I can't wait until my boys get bigger. Nothing like a little "help"!

Sharker
12-18-2006, 13:43
My first deer was shot on my familys farm in Maine... I shot it 3 miles (ish) from the truck in a bog, and then had to drag it "slightly" uphill the whole way to the truck. It took about 3 hours, and my QUADS were shot!

I get home, and my uncle says, you should have come got me and we would have borrowed the neighbors 4 wheeler! :shocked:

Good job with the kill. There is always a great sense of accomplishment to doing it on your own.