Thinking of moving to Colorado [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving to Colorado

Moshe
12-17-2006, 02:48
I'm thinking of moving to Colorado for grad-school and to possibly stay.

How gun-friendly is Colorado? What are the best schools there for law-school and an MBA?

What places should I be looking at to live? I'm looking for suburban but very close to an urban hub.... maybe around Denver? What else?

Thanks. I appreciate any info you can offer. :)

The-Fly
12-17-2006, 12:17
With the exception of Denver itself (the burbs are fine), Colorado is pretty gun friendly. CCW laws are excellent.

Cant recommend any schools, I am not a landshark or manager :banana:

One warning about the Denver area, the traffic down there SUCKS.

bloodhound
12-17-2006, 23:30
CU for Law School...maybe DU, but I think CU has a better rep, if you can choke down the politics of the of the staff...DU is a little more "right" of the Republic of Boulder that seeps into CU.

As far as Gun laws Colorado is as good as any, and it is a "Shall Grant" state as far as CCW...jus have to pass a background, and take a course. The CBI check is a pain, if your buying a gun....but its one of the small complaints...

slyjackalope
12-29-2006, 21:46
Originally posted by Moshe

How gun-friendly is Colorado? What are the best schools there for law-school and an MBA?

What places should I be looking at to live? I'm looking for suburban but very close to an urban hub.... maybe around Denver? What else?

If you are looking to go to Colorado, first save a lot of money and headaches (such as traffic) by applying to the University of Wyoming. Laramie is only about 20 miles from the Colorado state line (65 miles from Fort Collins and about 120 miles from Denver), is way cheaper to live in during school than either Denver or Boulder, and gets just as much respect as an educational institution as CU and DU. I finished a joint JD/MPA there this past year and am licensed to practice law in Colorado. I can tell you that my buddy who graduated top of my law school class had no problem getting a job at a big name law firm in Denver starting at $100,000 a year.

Laramie is a nice place to go to school and Wyoming is even more gun-friendly than Colorado. Wyoming resident tuition (which is fairly easy to get once you establish residency) at the law school is less than 1/4 of DU law school tuition. UW was also rated as one of the most technologically-advanced (wired) college campuses in the country and an added bonus is you will definitely get the opportunity to argue in front of the Wyoming Supreme Court in your third year of law school in one of the clinics if you so desire. Plus, the law faculty are very nice (though you still have to work your butt off) and the deans are very helpful in obtaining employment after law school since they seem to know everyone in Wyoming and Colorado between the three of them.

Thirdeye
01-02-2007, 18:28
Originally posted by Moshe

I moved to Colorado three years ago from Georgia. LOVE IT. Getting my physics phd at CU Boulder. Law school is a little out of my league but I know CU Boulder has one, just not sure how good it is.

As far as places to live goes, basically anything between Boulder and Denver is good. I live in Superior which is half way between Boulder and Denver. Boulder is pretty expensive though and most of the homes/apartments are older (Circa 1970's). Superior/Louisville, IMO, is a better place for people who want access to both Boulder and Denver but also want to get away from the crowds. As far as raising a family goes, you wont find a better place than Sup/Louisville. One of my friends came to visit from GA and he said the place reminded him of the movie "Pleasantville" if that helps.

codivecop
01-22-2007, 21:10
Originally posted by Thirdeye
I moved to Colorado three years ago from Georgia. LOVE IT. Getting my physics phd at CU Boulder. Law school is a little out of my league but I know CU Boulder has one, just not sure how good it is.

As far as places to live goes, basically anything between Boulder and Denver is good. I live in Superior which is half way between Boulder and Denver. Boulder is pretty expensive though and most of the homes/apartments are older (Circa 1970's). Superior/Louisville, IMO, is a better place for people who want access to both Boulder and Denver but also want to get away from the crowds. As far as raising a family goes, you wont find a better place than Sup/Louisville. One of my friends came to visit from GA and he said the place reminded him of the movie "Pleasantville" if that helps.

Where are you shootin' in that there Avatar?

Thirdeye
02-02-2007, 18:23
Originally posted by codivecop
Where are you shootin' in that there Avatar?

PM sent

Orpheus
03-02-2007, 22:20
I did my law degree at DU and enjoyed it. You can double up with the well-respected MBA there as well. Costly, though. CU is a good school, but I like Denver more than Boulder for most things. Be aware Denver proper has a 20rd mag ban and crime bill. You can find it on municode.com. Similar to the Clinton bill, but not the same. If you head out this way, shoot me a PM, most of my shooting buds are out east these days.