Indiana State Police - unmarked Dodge Charger cruisers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Indiana State Police - unmarked Dodge Charger cruisers


FThorn
12-17-2006, 09:25
Found this link on another forum.


http://images19.fotki.com/v358/photos/4/49373/271009/rnpca2396-vi.jpg

TLHelmer
12-17-2006, 20:08
As a member of the Indiana State Police, that is the first I have heard of them. That would be cool though!

BackDraft
12-17-2006, 22:18
Originally posted by TLHelmer
As a member of the Indiana State Police, that is the first I have heard of them. That would be cool though!
Well they have been using them on the Toll Road the last few months. I travel it from the Skyway to I-69 daily and they seem to working quite hard.Now the last few weeks they have been using the Crown Vics marked and unmarked.Maybe they were being tested or something but they really caught alot off guard.

TLHelmer
12-18-2006, 06:04
I would like to see one all striped out! Super Cool!

I will check on this today by calling the ISP garage.

KSFreeman
12-18-2006, 07:09
I have seen them on I-65 between Lafayette and Indianapolis (Clinton and Boone County).

Wasn't Rich Kelly driving one when he got hurt (the last time)?

meeko
12-18-2006, 11:55
Originally posted by BackDraft
Well they have been using them on the Toll Road the last few months. I travel it from the Skyway to I-69 daily and they seem to working quite hard.Now the last few weeks they have been using the Crown Vics marked and unmarked.Maybe they were being tested or something but they really caught alot off guard.

A few years ago the ISP used an Indiana highway department P/U truck like an F 150 out of the Terre Haute post. The Terre Haute paper had a couple page long article with several pics on it. Al kind of people (the ones that got caught) were crying about that not being fair etc. I thought it was pertty funny.

RF7126
12-18-2006, 14:00
Even the fully-marked trucks throw me. There's apparently a decked-out F-150 in Sullivan county that I didn't notice until he lit someone up. I get so accustomed to looking for the crown vic profile that I completely miss everything else. I'm going to have so much trouble when everyone switches to Chargers. :supergrin:

I also saw an unmarked Escalade once in Gibson county. That was a shock. :shocked:

TLHelmer
12-18-2006, 18:17
I got busy today and forgot to call the garage.

Some of the unmarks attributed to us (ISP) are other agencies ie. Gibson County Sheriffs Department.

IPDBrad
12-18-2006, 21:13
Is ISP going back to white cars and away from the Purdue motif?

BackDraft
12-19-2006, 00:45
Originally posted by IPDBrad
Is ISP going back to white cars and away from the Purdue motif? I have seen 1 White Crown Vic working the western part of the toll road the past few weeks too.

KSFreeman
12-19-2006, 06:52
I've been told the black ISP cars are more "intimidating.":upeyes: :rofl:

rhino465
12-19-2006, 09:25
Originally posted by meeko
A few years ago the ISP used an Indiana highway department P/U truck like an F 150 out of the Terre Haute post. The Terre Haute paper had a couple page long article with several pics on it. Al kind of people (the ones that got caught) were crying about that not being fair etc. I thought it was pertty funny.

I saw someone pulled over by that vehicle on I-70 when they were using it. I'm guessing the driver was surprised with the ISP officer got out in his uniform!

planewinch
12-19-2006, 10:16
The NC State Highway Patrol recently purchased some of the Chargers and marked them for patrol. Here's a pic.

RF7126
12-19-2006, 10:38
Originally posted by KSFreeman
I've been told the black ISP cars are more "intimidating.":upeyes: :rofl:

I've always really liked their black scheme. Somehow, it seems to add to the image that the State Police try to project (from what I can see). I've always been very impressed with it. I hear a lot of people joke about local officers but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say something negative (other than those who got a ticket) about State Police troopers. That's also coming from a college environment,where there's a lot of false bravado floating around. It may not always appear so, but I guarantee you that the image works.

Leonard_Lawrenc
12-19-2006, 12:42
The State also has black Mustangs running around up north.

Last week I saw an ISP Crown Vic in white with the blue arrow/stripe. I heard from my local Ford dealer that Ford gave the ISP a deal so good they couldn't pass it up.

IPDBrad
12-19-2006, 15:20
Originally posted by planewinch
The NC State Highway Patrol recently purchased some of the Chargers and marked them for patrol. Here's a pic.

I am visiting NC, Biscoe has one marked.

cougar_guy04
12-21-2006, 00:32
Originally posted by IPDBrad
Is ISP going back to white cars and away from the Purdue motif?
I've seen 2 now running around the area. Looked like everything that was gold on the black ones is now blue. One of them was here on campus . . . maybe some training thing? They were parked in front of the door to our pool. :headscratch:

Originally posted by RF7126
I've always really liked their black scheme.
Same here. At least I like them better than the white/yellow that I got used to growing up in IL.

TLHelmer
12-22-2006, 06:11
I was at the ISP garage yesterday. No one had seen or heard of any chargers as unmarked cruisers. The Major was busy and I didn't want to bug him.

Sorry guys, I cant confirm or deny.

BackDraft
12-22-2006, 10:53
Well I can say I have seen them on the Toll Road. Thats all I know because I watch for them.

TLHelmer
12-22-2006, 17:05
I wasn't arguing. I am a Trooper from Southern Indiana. We don't get news even about our own dept as fast as they do up north. The Toll road has different rules than other districts because of the extra funds available to them to patrol the Toll Road. What you said is quite possible, but I thought I would check with the men in the ISP garage that build the cars. They couldn't say that they had worked on any. The Chargers may also be a limited experiment to test their viability as a marked, semi-marked or unmarked vehicle.

I would love to have a Charger as a patrol vehicle.:thumbsup:

BackDraft
12-23-2006, 01:52
Originally posted by TLHelmer
I wasn't arguing. I am a Trooper from Southern Indiana. We don't get news even about our own dept as fast as they do up north. The Toll road has different rules than other districts because of the extra funds available to them to patrol the Toll Road. What you said is quite possible, but I thought I would check with the men in the ISP garage that build the cars. They couldn't say that they had worked on any. The Chargers may also be a limited experiment to test their viability as a marked, semi-marked or unmarked vehicle.

I would love to have a Charger as a patrol vehicle.:thumbsup:
Sorry didn't mean to sound that way. I understand what you are saying about the toll road and your district. Personally I think the Chargers look alot sharper then the Crown Vics and day. As far as performace goes I have no idea. I don't blame you for wanting one , my wife is starting to drop hints on what she would like to get this spring. Again sorry for sounding the wrong way, I didn't mean to offend you or anybody else.

TLHelmer
12-23-2006, 08:13
No problem. I wasn't offended. I thought I came across as argumentative. We are cool!:)

4sarge
12-23-2006, 09:04
Originally posted by TLHelmer
No problem. I wasn't offended. I thought I came across as argumentative. We are cool!:)

Be careful what you wish for. In thirty years of policing I only ever had 1 new Dodge cruiser and it was a Diplomat. I loved that patrol car but it developed severe electrical problems during it's career. Caprice (my favorite) Crown Vic's, look like police cars but prefer the Caprice and don't even mention the Lumina - not a police car but that's what I finished up my career in. Would have been nice to have had a Trans Am, Mustang or Camaro but then that wouldn't have been the real world for a local yocal.

Stay Safe

eprn
12-23-2006, 09:30
I saw an unmarked police charger at a Dodge dealership in Connersville recently. I don't know if it was an ISP car, though. It resembled that photo--all black w/ hideaway LEDs.

Sheltie
12-27-2006, 19:42
Two troopers dropped off an inmate. One had a Crown Vic. and the other a Camaro. I asked the one who drove the Crown Vic. how they determine who gets the Camaro's. He said "That guy would give a citation to his mother on Christmas." and laughed. Good sense of humor.

FThorn
01-31-2007, 16:20
I just passed a black one on I-465 South Bound, East side of Indy. It was too clean for one thing. Had a police shield license plate. VERY dark tinted windows all around.

boilergonzo
02-01-2007, 08:40
Just saw one on the Indiana Toll Road. Very impressive! A car was pulled over, but the driver of the unmarked car did not get out of the car while I could see, so I did not get to see the uniform. As pointed out, the windows were tinted, so I couldn't see much.

I will say that was one of the more intimidating law enforcement vehicles I have seen. Not quite up to Jasper Indiana's Hummer... Part of me hates the concept of unmarked cars (the part of me that wants to avoid citations...), but I think they are a great idea.

Personal most embarrassing speeding moment: many years ago I passed an innocent looking red Camero with a cute, stuffed Garfield toy in the rear window. College girl? Dad with kids? Blew past it.

Oops! The blasted thing lit up and pulled me over! Got a warning, but things like that and unmarked sport utes keep us honest! Those darned Impalas are everywhere, so spotting an unmarked is not as easy as the huge cruisers of the past.