Lifetime permit wait time? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime permit wait time?

Cassius
12-19-2006, 14:29
I applied for my lifetime carry permit in the middle of October. I had heard about a 6 week wait time. It is now 8 weeks of course, and although I am patient and not in a hurry I am just curious if there is a big backlog from people applying for the new lifetime permits. It was my understanding that if you already had a permit, you had to wait until it expired before you could apply for the lifetime. If that is the case then I wouldn't think there would be a backlog?

Also Indiana is shall-issue, right? Meaning if my nose is clean I shouldn't have to worry about whether my permit will be approved? (never been arrested, no felonies or misdemeanors other than a couple traffic violations, 26 years of age, lived in Indiana my entire life)

ralphb72
12-19-2006, 14:35
Took about 2 mos and it came on a Fri so maybee this Fri You'll get it.

Matt Stum
12-19-2006, 16:41
I submitted mine the beginning of July and received it at the end of September, so just about 3 months for me.

sjstill
12-19-2006, 19:57
A customer at the shop applied for his today (Hendricks Co SD), and was told to expect 12 weeks wait.

KSFreeman
12-20-2006, 06:16
1. You may apply before your license expires, up to 180 days before. Mine expires in October of 2007, I will apply for my lifetime license in April of 2007.

2. Indiana is "shall issue" by judicial decision from 1981 and by Indiana Supreme Court decision (the nonsense in Gary) in 1991.

3. The lifetime license is becoming very popular. When I visit the county jug for my weekly appointments there, I see guys with license applications and hear the gun lady talking to them about the lifetime license. Waits are now up to 12 weeks according to my "spies" at the Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Department who are in contact with ISP at Indy almost daily.

R. Emmelman
12-20-2006, 06:43
So, KSFreeman. How does ISP get by with this? 60 days is the max by law.

blackbeast
12-20-2006, 09:01
i applied at the end of august, and got mine at the end of november. It was a long wait for me since I didn't havea previous permit, and had already bought a gun (makarov) that i couldn't do anything with.

KSFreeman
12-20-2006, 12:20
Reml, don't ya know, lawyers cost money.:animlol:

Flinter
12-20-2006, 14:55
Oh my, wonder how long a new resident will have to wait?

blackbeast
12-20-2006, 15:57
Originally posted by Flinter
Oh my, wonder how long a new resident will have to wait?

my boss, who just moved here from georgia, applied at nearly the same time i did, and last i asked had still not gotten it.

packninhummerh1
12-24-2006, 05:02
I received my lifetime carry permit in six week's. Cudos to the men and women of the State Police down state.:bluesbrothers: :perfect10:

R. Emmelman
12-24-2006, 05:49
I wonder how much of this wait time is because of the local PD dragging their feet.

blackbeast
12-24-2006, 06:32
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
I wonder how much of this wait time is because of the local PD dragging their feet.

took my local pd 1 day to approve me, and give me my paperwork to mail off to the state.

R. Emmelman
12-24-2006, 12:01
Originally posted by blackbeast
took my local pd 1 day to approve me, and give me my paperwork to mail off to the state.
So how long did it take ISP to finish it?

blackbeast
12-24-2006, 13:55
So how long did it take ISP to finish it?

don't know the exact time but it was near 3 months, from end of august to end of november. asked my boss today, he still has not gotten his, and applied near the same time i did.

MikeG23
12-24-2006, 23:00
I applied for mine on July 6 (I tried to do it the third, but they didn't know how to yet) they sent me a letter saying things weren't done correctly in September. Apparently they didn't learn much from the third to the sixth.

Any way I resubmited it in September and finally got my new license in December. So the first try took 10 weeks and the second took 12. I called them in November because I was worried it had gotten lost in the mail and they told me they were pretty stacked up.

My license ezpired July 31 and it kinda sucked that it was expired over 4 Months.

Cassius
01-05-2007, 16:13
It's been 13 weeks for me and still haven't received anything.... =(

USMCGLOCKER
01-05-2007, 23:27
sorry, i'm going slightly off topic... i just applied for my 4 year license yesterday, how long do those take? please say that they are quicker than the lifetime ones !!!!??!?!?

R. Emmelman
01-06-2007, 08:50
Originally posted by USMCGLOCKER
sorry, i'm going slightly off topic... i just applied for my 4 year license yesterday, how long do those take? please say that they are quicker than the lifetime ones !!!!??!?!?
Probably not, exact same process.

rhino465
01-06-2007, 11:20
Originally posted by USMCGLOCKER

Is there a reason why you went with the four year and not the lifetime? Was it the cost?

USMCGLOCKER
01-06-2007, 11:23
the 4 year was a total of 40 bucks, plus stamps i guess, and i dont think i'll be living here for the rest of my life, so i thought it was unnecessary. Indiana accepts everyone elses licenses, so if i come back with one from somwhere else, i'll still be OK! Oh, and i kinda also wanted to go with the cheaper one for the time being $$

KSFreeman
01-07-2007, 12:57
USMCGlocker, please be aware that Indiana recognizes all states and foreign nations as long as you are not a resident of Indiana.

If you come back with the intent to domicile, then you will need an Indiana LTCH.

Even if it is a stretch financially (hey, we've all been there), the lifetime LTCH is too great a deal to pass up.:banana:

StockGlock23
01-09-2007, 00:26
What is the overall cost after postage and the whole nine yards?

Added but not to hi-jack...

I had my 4 year permit issued in April of 2005 and I moved to Florida in Aug 2005. While I was down there I had no intent of moving back here so I destroyed the license. This past May 2006 I moved back to Indiana (thank God) and I wondered if this would effect anything on the new application process. I read somewhere that since I moved I needed to contact the ISP and tell them that I was no longer a resident of the state. Will this make me inelligable for any reason?

ONe thing that I thought was interesting. My driver's license # was the same when I moved back. I suppose that # is yours forever no matter what. It makes sense but it surprised me.

IPDBrad
01-09-2007, 09:12
For those living in Marion County, I popped into the citizens services room the other day. They told me they are accepting hand written apps now. Used to have to type them out.

R. Emmelman
01-09-2007, 09:19
Originally posted by IPDBrad
For those living in Marion County, I popped into the citizens services room the other day. They told me they are accepting hand written apps now. Used to have to type them out.

:banana: :banana: Whoo, Hoo... Whoo, Hoo.. :banana: :banana:

Just try to find a typewriter now days!

IPDBrad
01-09-2007, 09:45
:banana: :banana: Whoo, Hoo... Whoo, Hoo.. :banana: :banana:

Just try to find a typewriter now days!

Yeah, it is either a Bail Bondsman, or I was lucky to have one of the ladies in citizen services type mine for me.

rhino465
01-09-2007, 09:52
I have an old electric that I've had since I was in college. I kept it specifically to type forms like renewals for my LCH. Now I no longer have to worry over THAT detail.

When a form is on 8.5x11 paper or smaller, and you don't have to do multiple copies on colored papers (like the Indiana CHL forms), I usually scan them, use Word to complete them, then make a .pdf of the finished product. If it's available as .pdf already (like the Utah CFP application), then I just use my .pdf editor to complete it and I'm done.

4sarge
01-09-2007, 19:02
Originally posted by IPDBrad

It's about time for the change but I bet the Bail Bondsman are all missing the $$$'s for typing them.

I had to wait 23 years & 7 months for my lifetime permit :tongueout:

SBG40
01-24-2007, 08:54
Q: I know that the wait time for any permit it a long time anyway, and with the new life time permits, that time is even longer, but lets say i applyed for the lifetime permit, and i have a 4yr. permit that will expire in 60 days , will the 4yr. permit still be valid until the new one comes in ?

R. Emmelman
01-24-2007, 09:34
Yes. As long as you have a copy of the aplication your old soon to be expired license is good.

BeeRian
02-01-2007, 14:13
Just got my Lifetime permit today (renewed from 4yr). It took 3 months and 1 week.

KSFreeman
02-01-2007, 15:27
I enjoy using my office typewriter, IBM Selectric, to type up gun stuff, my C&R renewal, my Form 4s, my carry permits. Much more "official" to the clerks processing them.:supergrin:

Cassius
02-01-2007, 20:44
Just to let everyone know, I got my permit two days ago! Yahoo!!!

Took just under 4 months. But is sooo worth the wait!

*heads off to Walmart for nachos*

Patrick Graham
02-05-2007, 12:51
I just got back from applying for my Lifetime permit at the Kokomo Police department. The lady who did my prints said the current wait time is 5 months.

She also said that when your old permit expires just carry it and your application paperwork and you'll be OK.

Panthera Tigris
02-15-2007, 15:12
Hello all. Do Indy residents still need to go to the City/County building to renew our license and get the lifetime permit?

And is the total cost $40?

Thanks in advance.

BeeRian
02-15-2007, 18:14
Here is a link for information to apply or renew.

http://www.indygov.org/eGov/County/MCSD/Services/gun-permits.htm

Panthera Tigris
02-16-2007, 12:59
thanks

ChrisK
02-17-2007, 21:45
I sent my paperwork in around the first week of November. Showed up in my mailbox on the 15th of Feb.

Panthera Tigris
02-18-2007, 18:27
My understanding for Marion County then is I have to go downtown to the City/County building, pick up an application then return with it filled out? So two trips downtown?

Also, does it need to be notarized? I thought I had to do that last time.

R. Emmelman
02-18-2007, 19:11
Originally posted by Panthera Tigris
My understanding for Marion County then is I have to go downtown to the City/County building, pick up an application then return with it filled out? So two trips downtown?

Also, does it need to be notarized? I thought I had to do that last time.

You need to:

1. Obtain the money orders.

2. Go to the city county building, 1st floor, Citizens Services room in the police wing, and get an application.

3. Fill it out.

4. Have it notarized (the bail bond places will do that for you).

5. Return to the CCB with the above.

6. Wait for your license to be mailed.

That's it. :)

TheWanderer
02-22-2007, 14:12
The guys at Premier Arms informed me that while the state says you can have your receipt for your permit with you and your license expired, some counties are not recognizing the receipts and are arresting folks for illegally carrying while in the waiting period.

They advised me to get a clarification on that when I go downtown.

foob
02-23-2007, 23:32
4. Have it notarized (the bail bond places will do that for you).

All banks have public notaries, should do it for free if you have an account with them. Technically you are suppose to fill up the form infront of the notary, or at the very least, sign it in front of him.

R. Emmelman
02-24-2007, 07:42
Originally posted by foob
All banks have public notaries, should do it for free if you have an account with them. Technically you are suppose to fill up the form infront of the notary, or at the very least, sign it in front of him.
But the bail bond place is right across the street from (gi)MPD HQ. The idea is not to have to make two trips downtown. All a notary does is veryfy that the person signing is who he says he is and couldn't care less about the content.

foob
02-24-2007, 09:15
Ah ok. Yes go to the closest one. When I went to do mine, I got the form, filled it out, had to go get money orders, then came back, then had to go get it notarized, then came back. Was ready to shoot myself then.

I was like "dude you don't have a notary in a police department?". Or at least somebody that has the capacity to act as one.

Patrick Graham
02-24-2007, 13:51
Originally posted by foob
Ah ok. Yes go to the closest one. When I went to do mine, I got the form, filled it out, had to go get money orders, then came back, then had to go get it notarized, then came back. Was ready to shoot myself then.

I was like "dude you don't have a notary in a police department?". Or at least somebody that has the capacity to act as one.

Wow.. That's radicaly different from the Kokomo popo dept.

They did it all, all I needed was a money order or cashiers check and some cash.

They were very nice and helpful..

R. Emmelman
02-25-2007, 05:54
Originally posted by Patrick Graham
Wow.. That's radicaly different from the Kokomo popo dept.

They did it all, all I needed was a money order or cashiers check and some cash.

They were very nice and helpful..
IPD in the past tried to make it as hard as they could. The application HAD to be typed. My first license took about two hours just to get the finger prints etc. Had to go to another floor of the CCB and then back to the firearms division.