Brother Shipping out [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brother Shipping out

Jwinter
12-19-2006, 19:15
My brother is shipping out to Afganastan and im looking for a few things to posibally make him more comfortable (beside the comfort the army issues).
If anyone has recently returned from over seas and has any ideas Id really appreicate it.

:holysheep: :50cal:

Currahee
12-20-2006, 08:56
In terms of things that he can take over there right away:

Some good books (it's a long plane ride and then you will be sitting around a LOT for your first few weeks on deployment). I recommend books by Hunter Thompson, Michael Crichton, Clive Cussler and R.A. Salvadore. These were all popular with my soldiers.

Magazines (any of the man mags "Maxim" etc) and also "the Economist" was really popular oddly enough.

an iPod

Digital camera

Laptop

Warm clothing (such as a black REI fleece)

Photo album of family members, friends, pets with personal messages in it.

Things you can mail him:

Magazines, books, DVDs, AA and AAA batteries, tobacco products, snack food (the less "junk" and more "real" the better), homemade goodies, news clippings, pictures from home.

What kind of job does he do? That will make a difference if he works on a FOB alot or will be on patrol. Or if he is an armored vehicle crewman etc. Is this his first time on deployment? How old is he and what rank?

Jwinter
12-20-2006, 17:06
Thanks for all the ideas,

I'm not sure what he does really. He got out of AIT was put with his unit and then sent to Lousiana for training.

He's in the 82nd Airborne out of Fort Bragg. Thats about all I know of what he does he really hasn't said, but I haven't really asked much either.

This is his first deployment, hes 20, rank not sure.

Thanks
Josh

Currahee
12-20-2006, 17:14
the iPod, iTunes gift certificate or digital camera are all must haves for today's soldier

also it is cold as hell with the wind in Afghanistan

he will probably be issued a nice Leatherman, but if not those are "must haves". a good folding knife is a nice tool.

i think if you make a photo album up with pictures of you and your family together and put in some personal notes about how proud you all are of him he would really value that. soldiers can get really homesick on deployment.

AT&T international phonecards are also good.

best of luck to your family. you should write him and send mail as often as you can, even if you feel you have "nothing to say" or you don't get a timely response. getting mail on deployment makes a world of difference, and i always enjoyed reading about my family's "regular" life