Traveling to SC..... Help me out here [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to SC..... Help me out here

AMGlock23
12-20-2006, 13:45
Im from florida and im thinking about going up to Santee SC for the break. Im gonna be staying near lake Marion and was wondering if my florida fishing license was valid there. I know down here we need a fishing license to fish of the boat....

If they don't accept it... were can i get one and how much do they run???

Thank you all,

AMGlock23

G23/40
12-20-2006, 18:20
:whistling:
I hear there is some big catfish in there.
Lets see some pics when your done.
G23/40

cgrivois
12-21-2006, 11:07
confused about the link to the North Carolina DNR website. Here is a link to South Carolinas Web site. Your florida license is no good here, and yes you do need a license to fish from a boat. Looks like its going to run you $35 for a year, or $11 for seven days. Check not sure if you can get a license number on line or not. Stop by Wally world on you way up and get a license there. Heres the link to DNR.SCDNR (http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regulations.html)

The winter months produce some of the best catfishing in the state in those waters. May want to hook up with a guide or with some one familiar with the lakes. Good Luck

AMGlock23
12-21-2006, 15:39
thank you guys... ill try to post some pictures when I get back

BEANCOUNTER
01-14-2007, 20:48
Remember, you can't carry in SC with your Florida CCW permit. :shocked:

Although 60% of the states already have reciprocity agreements with FL, there is STILL no reciprocity agreement between SC & FL.

It is all SC's fault, too. Maybe someone in SC, if they aren't too embarrassed, can explain to you why this is.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

The Pontificator
01-21-2007, 14:48
Originally posted by BEANCOUNTER
Remember, you can't carry in SC with your Florida CCW permit. :shocked:

Although 60% of the states already have reciprocity agreements with FL, there is STILL no reciprocity agreement between SC & FL.

It is all SC's fault, too. Maybe someone in SC, if they aren't too embarrassed, can explain to you why this is.

Here's why (According to Rob Butler, Legislative Director of Grassroots South Carolina):

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=533284

cphilip
02-01-2007, 19:32
Well... Rob leaves out a few things. And I would probably even argue with his logic on what he does include. But...

For one thing Florida issues non resident permits to people who do not own property in Florida and does not clearly distinguish them from resident permits. Thats one thing that seems to bother SLED.

And Florida has a program to both extinguish and block criminal records and restores and in some cases never revokes gun ownership to some persons pleading guilty to a felony. SC only restores those rights by full pardon. Another thing that bothers them.

Just give em a few reasons and SC is going to not reciprocate. Just like they do with Georgia. In that case it appears to be no training requirement. Now... I am not saying SLED is entirely in the right. But I don't believe the ball is totaly in thier court either. Now... it should be added that these are just third hand rumors but they seem to have some validity.

However SC does have one of the friendliest car carry laws, extended to anyone, of about any state.

I am not defending them but its not all thier fault. The ammunition is provided by Florida for them to use. Wish we could come to some kind of agreement. But I believe these other issues are more important to SLED than any conviction. I don't believe there is anything in SC law that says an arrest alone is reason for denial. There are some very vauge judgment call things that one might assume would allow it. But its certainly not specificaly defined by law. People that are arrested later found not guilty or charges are dropped do get permits. So I cannot conclude the same things Rob seems to be concluding.

BEANCOUNTER
02-01-2007, 21:04
Originally posted by cphilip
...For one thing Florida issues non resident permits to people who do not own property in Florida and does not clearly distinguish them from resident permits. Thats one thing that seems to bother SLED...

I just looked at my Florida resident license and I have no problem distinguishing it from a non-resident permit.

You see, if you have a Florida resident permit, you have a Florida address on your license. (If you move, you have to notify the Div. of Licensing.)

If you are a non-resident, then your license has the address of somewhere other than Florida.

Are you really telling me that SLED can't figure that out?

I wonder if the real problem with reciprocity is that SLED and some politicians just don't like concealed weapons permits, even for South Carolina residents? I bet some of them would repeal SC's CCW law if they could. (Am I wrong?)

Florida allows not only its licensed citizens but also licensed citizens of 30 other states to carry here. There are hundreds of thousands of people wandering around here with permits (and most of them probably don't carry all that often). CCW is a non-issue. People with CCW permits are not a problem and haven't been in the almost 20 years Florida has issued them. In fact, I doubt most Floridians know about these reciprocity agreements with 30 other states.

Reciprocity agreements between states are probably our best hope for anything resembling nationwide concealed carry. Sadly, I've got the feeling South Carolina will not be the 31st state entering into a reciprocity agreement with Florida.

cphilip
02-02-2007, 08:34
All I am saying is that they feel they can compile enough reasons to not accept them. All those things combined. Even if they can tell em apart by comparing addesses... they don't want to, and for the other reasons combined.... they don't have to.

But there certainly ARE people in the legislature that wish we didn't have it. I bet that all states have those people. And so laws like these, the "must be similar" are things they have handcuffed SLED with and I believe SLED would have a hard time defending itself if it did not only sign agreements with states that were EXACTLY like our requirement.

I listed some far greater concerns which you don't address. And which are not causing controversy within your own state. The primary being the Felony convictions in which the records are sealed by Plea bargaining agreements. These are causing problems themselves within Florida.

I certainly wish we could fix it. Because I am a Floridian born and raised and still have family down there. So I am all for it too.