Anybody have one of those rifles? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have one of those rifles?

vafish
12-20-2006, 19:03
I have a Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 that I bought about 28 years ago at the young age of 14.

Along the way I've upgraded the scope, put a synthetic stock on it and a Kwik Clip removable clip conversion kit.

It's a decent shooter, but not what I'd call a tack driver.

I hunted with it for a few years, but never shot a deer with it, matter of fact I never saw a deer when I was carrying it.

At age 18 I went into the army, at 19 I bought a TC Contender and tried handgun hunting, That year I shot my first deer.

Since then I've killed a lot of deer with the Contender, a few with other handguns, a couple with a bow, a bunch with black powder rifles, and now one with a crossbow.

All this time I've kept the .30-06 in the safe. I'd shoot it on the range once in a while, occasionaly I'd carry it deer hunting. I've loaned the gun to friends and they've shot deer with it, I've loaned it to my dad and he's shot deer with it.

But every time I carry it I don't see deer.

This afternoon a friend took me to a vineyard he has permission to hunt on. It's rather large and he told me to bring a rifle because the shots were usually between 100 and 200 yards. So I dragged out the 700. Now this vineyard has been having problems with deer eating their grape vines. Every time my friend hunts this property he see's deer. Last time he hunted it about 3 weeks ago he shot 4 deer in one evening. Well 3 of us hunting in a vineyard that they always see deer in. Guess what? No deer.

Is it possible for a rifle to have so much bad JuJu that for 28 years I can't even see a deer when I'm carrying it?

noway
12-20-2006, 19:48
I've feel your pain. Been out 3 times in the last 7 days saw about 8 deers;

2 dead on the side of the road ( all bucks :sad: )
4 on the way to the grounds at 0500AM
2 on the way out at 20:00PM haven't yet to seen a deer during legal daylight.

I even looking at a possibility of enlisting the CIA in locating me a deer. Should much better than and eaiser than locating Bin Ladden ;)

suckersrus
12-20-2006, 19:58
Guns have only a certain amount of luck built into them. Some have more than other.
This is how the term, "May favorite rifle" came to be.

Maybe you need to have a serious talk with your rifle if he is lucky for other people but not for you.

I suggest you take him for a walk and mention that cute little Ruger 308 you saw at the gunshop. Also tell him about the "Firearms for sale" thread on this forum.

If you don't get some action, the next time out -- retire it.

Move on. Git on with your life. Love 'em then leave 'em.

Bitmap
12-20-2006, 21:44
A few years ago I went hunting and took two rifles along. I swapped between them each day. I killed three deer that season. All three with the same rifle. I've hunted with the "unlucky" one a number of other times but never seen a deer when hunting with it.

DJ Niner
12-21-2006, 00:57
Originally posted by suckersrus
Guns have only a certain amount of luck built into them. Some have more than other.

Maybe you need to have a serious talk with your rifle if he is lucky for other people but not for you.

I suggest you take him for a walk and mention that cute little Ruger 308 you saw at the gunshop. Also tell him about the "Firearms for sale" thread on this forum.

Move on. Git on with your life. Love 'em then leave 'em. :animlol: :rofl: :laughabove:

Life's too short for unlucky rifles.
Plus, what happens when it goes from no "good luck" to having "bad luck"? Bad luck and firearms ain't a good mix. :shocked:

vafish
12-21-2006, 06:22
Originally posted by suckersrus

Move on. Git on with your life. Love 'em then leave 'em.

I don't have to take it for a walk.

All I have to do is point to the nice Remington 722 in .300 Savage I recently acquired. Just picked up a box of ammo for it yesterday. (that stuff is not the easiest to find) Will see how it does on the range.

GlockPride
12-21-2006, 06:38
It is a tough job, but I know I am up to the challenge. I'll send you a $100 and you send me this unlucky rifle and I'll give it a good home. It probably needs to hang out with the bad boys(WASR-10, AR, SKS, etc.) in the gun closet for a while. It has had no 'negative' thoughts and no desire to do it's intended purpose. It justs needs a little peer pressure or blanket party if it can't straighten up and follow orders.
:mememe: :pepper:

vafish
12-21-2006, 14:08
Originally posted by GlockPride
It is a tough job, but I know I am up to the challenge. I'll send you a $100 and you send me this unlucky rifle and I'll give it a good home. It probably needs to hang out with the bad boys(WASR-10, AR, SKS, etc.) in the gun closet for a while. It has had no 'negative' thoughts and no desire to do it's intended purpose. It justs needs a little peer pressure or blanket party if it can't straighten up and follow orders.
:mememe: :pepper:

Hey what are friends for? right?

I knew someone was going to offer up to remove my troubles for me.

vafish
12-22-2006, 08:28
After posting this thread and actually thinking about it a bit,

I'm wondering if the rifle really has that much bad luck or if I'm just not giving it enough of a chance.

I know I've owned it for about 28 years now, but I just started adding up the amount of time I've actually carried it in the field hunting.

Growing up in MN our deer hunting season was 16 days long, being a kid in school I usually only hunted the 3 weekends. So 6 days a year for age 14, 15, 16, and 17. That's only 24 days of use. At 18 I was in the Army and by 19 I was hunting with a handgun. Since I stared hunting with a handgun I doubt I've carried the 700 more than 10 times.

I'd say I've loaned it out to friends and family almost as much as I've carried it.

I guess I just need to change my point of reference and say I've only been hunting with it for a little over a month instead of saying it has 28 years of bad luck.

CanyonMan
12-22-2006, 12:19
Vafish,

Maybe this will help "break the ice" on your gun problem....You know, 'never seeing anything' when you got that '06 with ya! ha.

Back when i was still guiding hunts, I took a fellow one time in the high ridges of NW Okla. He told me on the way there he had hunted for over 13 years, and NEVER seen a deer!!!

Well, on this trip he did, (sorta).
Let me explain.....

I had obviously scouted an area before hand of course, that was running some really big bucks. Now the last few minuets, of the last day of the season, we are there, he is in position, and a giant Okie buck appears about 150 yds out in some very tall buffalo grass. This old boy has a 35 remington lever, and a very old weaver 4X scope, that was foggy at best.

I whispered "there he is,"... He said, "wow i see him, he is a monster." I said, "well shoot him then." He placed the gun to his shoulder and brought it back down, did this again, and said, "I can't see him through the scope without my eye glasses."

I said, "look man, you got one stinking chance here after 13+ years of failure, make it happen." He tried again, and siad, "Here, you shoot him, I cannot see him through this scope, I will give you the rack, and I'll take the meat, and put my tag on him."

I really did not want to do this, but the guy was almost in tears...

I took the gun, and killed the deer!

Now, this guy grabbed the rifle out of my hands, ran as fast as a dog out the back door of a chineese resturant, and was tripping, falling, rolling all the way. I yelled, "hey its ok he is dead"!

Just before I could reach him, he was standing over the body of the dead deer, and shot him in the neck, at point blank. I said, "Man what are you doing? You just runied 5#'s of hamburger!"

He looked at me with a insane type grin, and replied....

"Now I can say, I have shot a Deer" !

Now Vafish, I know your a good hunter and sportsman, buy your post and story's etc... But you might take that gun out again, and go with a not to bright friend, or at least a 'willing one' that wants to help you and your '06 overcome this situation.

Leave 'your gun' in the truck, (so y'all will see something), and when "HE" shoots "HIS deer", go get 'your gun', walk over and bust that sucker a good one with the old '06 ! Perhaps then, the gun will begin to understand its intended use and purpose, then you can both hunt happily ever after! ...... OR, at least you can say, "I have shot a deer with this gun!"

See how easy this is? ;)
Gun therapy 101.

P.S. If this don't work, you can always sell your '06 to that old boy in Okla, cause he never sees anything anyway, and he won't know the difference! :supergrin:

CanyonMan

vafish
12-22-2006, 20:37
Originally posted by CanyonMan

P.S. If this don't work, you can always sell your '06 to that old boy in Okla, cause he never sees anything anyway, and we won't know the difference! :supergrin:

CanyonMan

Got an e-mail address?

Just kidding.

I got a PM today from another member on the board that swears the smoke of white sage chases away bad spirits/luck. I did a google search on white sage and it seems that native americans have used it for that purpose, and for medicinal purposes.

May have to give it a try.

SouthTexasrep
12-27-2006, 09:43
Originally posted by vafish
I have a Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 that I bought about 28 years ago at the young age of 14.

Along the way I've upgraded the scope, put a synthetic stock on it and a Kwik Clip removable clip conversion kit.

where did you get the conversion? I have a Remington 700 ADL in .270. I'd like to have a removable magazine, just for the heck of it

357glocker
12-27-2006, 11:38
Originally posted by SouthTexasrep
where did you get the conversion? I have a Remington 700 ADL in .270. I'd like to have a removable magazine, just for the heck of it
Did you not understand this guys post! He has had terrible luck with his rifle that he converted:supergrin:

vafish
12-27-2006, 12:27
Originally posted by 357glocker
Did you not understand this guys post! He has had terrible luck with his rifle that he converted:supergrin:

I didn't have good luck with it before I converted it. I don't think the removable magazine conversion did anything good or bad.

Originally posted by SouthTexasrep

Cabelas has them.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=SON1EKYMO4HHSCWQNWRCCOQK0BW0GIWE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=null-cat20807&id=0024317226539a&navCount=0&podId=0024317&parentId=cat20807&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20807&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=kwik%20clip%20rifle%20magazine%20conversion&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true&_requestid=68265

If you have a 700 ADL you will have to cut the stock out for the magazine, or buy a BDL stock.

The reason I bought my kwik clip kit was because at the time I bought my synthetic stock they only made BDL versions of it. Since the ADL has the blind magazine and the BDL has the steel floor plate that flips down if you put a BDL stock on an ADL rifle you either need to buy a trigger guard/floor plate or the kwik clip conversion. Since the price was about the same I opted for the kwik clip.

357glocker
12-27-2006, 16:57
It was said more as humor than anything!

Anyway, I'd sell the rifle. Hunting is more about confidence than anything else when it comes down to the gear. I have always wondered why scent free soap has a scent, and when I use the stuff I always have the same luck as when I forget the bottle at home. I've been busted with the scent free stuff as well as without it. You have to play the wind right period, but people still believe that w/o scent killer they won't get a deer, and most of the time they don't! Same goes for the rifle, I'm sure you shoot it well and obviously 30-06 is game for deer; however you don't have confidence in it.

CanyonMan
12-29-2006, 11:36
Got an e-mail address?

Just kidding.

I got a PM today from another member on the board that swears the smoke of white sage chases away bad spirits/luck. I did a google search on white sage and it seems that native americans have used it for that purpose, and for medicinal purposes.

May have to give it a try.

Back in Okla pandhandle, we had a good deal of "controlled grass fires" on sage and cedar..... I guess you could get in on one of them next summer, take your rifle, and both of you stand down wind from the billowing rolling cloud of sage smoke and get a good soaking!

I grew up all my life with Native Americans, several were/are, my best friends. They place a good deal of stock in sage and cedar, but i never saw it change 'anything' they did it for, smells pretty good though! :supergrin:

Bring your respirator ! :supergrin:

Adios, and really...Good luck with your gun bud!

CanyonMan

DJ Niner
12-30-2006, 00:32
Originally posted by 357glocker
Hunting is more about confidence than anything else when it comes down to the gear.
... There's a little kernel of wisdom right there...

vafish
01-02-2007, 09:27
I figured I just needed more time in the woods with the rifle.

Took it out Saturday morning, hunted until noon. Saw one deer, probably a doe, sneak through some real thick stuff and couldn't get a shot at her. (at least I saw a deer while carrying the rifle)

Went home and was sitting at the kitchen table around 1:00 in the afternoon eating a sandwich and a doe and 2 fawns walked through the front yard.

CanyonMan
01-02-2007, 09:42
I figured I just needed more time in the woods with the rifle.

Took it out Saturday morning, hunted until noon. Saw one deer, probably a doe, sneak through some real thick stuff and couldn't get a shot at her. (at least I saw a deer while carrying the rifle)

Went home and was sitting at the kitchen table around 1:00 in the afternoon eating a sandwich and a doe and 2 fawns walked through the front yard.

I knew you didn't need that 'sage smoke' ! ;)

Hang in there....

CanyonMan

Sharker
01-03-2007, 14:15
So How does the doe that walked through the front yard taste....
I know your pain... I have a gun I bought a couple years ago that must have bad stink on it for me... my buds shoot the hell out of it, but for me it never lets me see any? Oh well... I got more than enough spares...

vafish
01-04-2007, 06:18
Originally posted by Sharker
So How does the doe that walked through the front yard taste....

Don't know, the guns were probably close enough for me to use, but I live in the suburbs and they'd grab too much attention. The neighbors probably wouldn't complain about the crossbow, but it was in a case in the garage.

Sharker
01-04-2007, 09:26
DOH,

I feel your pain. I moved into a house that was one of the first of MANY in the subdivision, and for the first month I lived there deer and turkey were on the fresh lawn daily. I used to contimplate whacking them, but never could get that "unethical" with it.
Later as I had less money and needed meat, I started wishing those days were back, but by then the subdivision was too populated.

Now I go to buddies house who lives in the country and we will shoot some from the back of his property to keep the freezers filled. (Its all within the law). I just dont call it hunting, I call it grocery shopping, cuz those deer are dumb and will come to his yard to eat no matter how much noise we make!