Moving to Deroit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Deroit

gunz213
12-20-2006, 19:27
I posted this on arfcom, but I wanted to ask here to. Anyhow I just got my PCS orders to CG Sector Detroit and I'm looking for info on where to look for houses, and so on. I don't really want to live in the city itself, and I'm willing to drive 30 or 40 miles to work. I've never been to the Great Lakes, but the weather won't be a problem. Thanks for any info,
Erick

MC350
12-21-2006, 06:59
It's a buyers market right now in Michigan. Depending on your price range, you can get a lot of house for under $200,000 right now in the suburbs north & northeast of Detroit. Where exactly will you be working at? Traffic can be a real burden depending on your work times & which way you have to drive to get downtown.

wizzi01
12-21-2006, 09:55
Are you going to be stationed at Belle Isle?
There are a few cities south of there that are nice. Wyandotte for instance. Only about 12 miles or so from Belle Isle.

Hailstorm
12-22-2006, 05:19
I live in Canton and like it. Its getting a bit populated though. You should be good any where as long as you keep a 15 mile ring out of Detroit.

Personal preference.

Timotheous46
12-22-2006, 06:54
Gunz,
according to your Lat/Lon you're in Key West.

Key West to Detroit? Quite a move.

:suntan: to :car:

Tim13
12-22-2006, 11:04
Areas to avoid:
Roseville
Center Line
Eastepointe
Hamtramck
Highland Park
Ferndale
Oak Park
Hazel Park
Warren
River Rouge
Ecorse
Lincoln Park
Wyandotte
Southgate
Allen Park
Inkster
Westland
Romulus
Melvindale
Taylor
Dearborn
Pontiac

The 15 mile ring around Detroit is pretty good advice.

Tim

gunz213
12-22-2006, 11:33
Thanks for the help. I'm going to be at the sector on Mt. Elloit Ave.
Erick

ducati
12-23-2006, 04:02
Any place east of 23 is to be avoided in my book.

DrMo
12-24-2006, 08:31
You may want to look at the Grosse Pointes, specifically Grosse Pointe Woods. One of the nicer communities in the metro-Detroit area and by far the closest to where you will be working. The houses are also very reasonable in price.

cos
12-30-2006, 12:29
+1 for the 15 mile ring. The exception being the Grosse Pointe area which is very nice.

10 Ring Tao
12-31-2006, 12:44
Keep in mind that car insurance will be significantly higher if you live south of 696, or on the border of detroit.

Bumpadrum
01-01-2007, 09:50
You could live in Southfield, the center of it all, freewaywise, but high taxes. You could drive east on Jefferson to the Pointes. Detroit has a city income tax if you work there, double if you work and live there.
Funny story about that CG station. Followed a police call there to a "man passed out in his car" call. Somehow this guy drove on to the base and passed out. 2 female cops approach the car and get the guy out. As he climbs out and stands up all wobbly his pants fall to his ankles, so the ladies find a stick and try to pull/ push his pants back up. Just then he craps! Explosively! Much hiliarity ensued.
You're going to love Detroit.

medictg
01-01-2007, 17:35
Every single day I go to work the city just proves that Darwin was wrong.

Drilled
01-06-2007, 16:39
Originally posted by gunz213
I posted this on arfcom, but I wanted to ask here to. Anyhow I just got my PCS orders to CG Sector Detroit and I'm looking for info on where to look for houses, and so on. I don't really want to live in the city itself, and I'm willing to drive 30 or 40 miles to work. I've never been to the Great Lakes, but the weather won't be a problem. Thanks for any info,
Erick

Gunz, my wife is a broker if you need some help, she can steer you in the right direction, just PM me if you want her help...

Drilled ;)

Nine29
01-06-2007, 19:12
+2 on Grosse Pointe. Beautiful homes, great schools, shopping, and city services. Plus, you'll have an easy 10 minute commute. You also get access (residents only) to beautiful parks on Lake St. Clair. Due to the economy and the auto industry, there are some fantastic deals on homes...

brucek
01-09-2007, 16:24
I second the Grosse Pointes. Lived there many years. The Park, City and Farms. You'll find reasonable housing in the Park near the Detroit border as well as the City. Don't know about the Woods and NOT in Grosse Pointe Shores. Great schools but due to the Pointe's proximity to some very nasty Detroit neighborhoods one must keep an eye over their shoulder. You do not want to have a breakdown on Jefferson on your way home from the CG Station. At least not at night.
--

Brucek

nuglocker
01-10-2007, 17:07
Don't count out coming south of Detroit. Monroe County is nice and from what I understand the taxes are less than Wayne County. I live in Huron Twp. Nice area if you like a little bit more of a rural area. 20-30 min South of Detroit.

mac66
01-11-2007, 08:35
Originally posted by Tim13
Areas to avoid:
Roseville
Center Line
Eastepointe
Hamtramck
Highland Park
Ferndale
Oak Park
Hazel Park
Warren
River Rouge
Ecorse
Lincoln Park
Wyandotte
Southgate
Allen Park
Inkster
Westland
Romulus
Melvindale
Taylor
Dearborn
Pontiac

The 15 mile ring around Detroit is pretty good advice.
Tim

Care to explain why those areas should be avoided? I can understand some of them considering the school systems, but Dearborn? Wyandotte?

How about Dearborn Heights?

And no, I don't live in Dearborn or the Heights.

10 Ring Tao
01-11-2007, 10:10
I work in an ER down there, and get loads of patients from dearborn and D. heights.

I would never live there, simply because of the arabs and its proximity to inkster and detroit.

Don't really know much about wyandotte other than its awful close to lincoln park.

mike23
01-12-2007, 06:59
Keep in mind you will be working in the second most dangerous city in the US.

I live 25 miles north of the "D" and had to drive to and through Detroit and the various other bad surrounding areas. That was the reason I got my CCW.

Toxie
01-12-2007, 13:32
Wyandotte is a nice city. Some Old money there, and houses can be expensive.

mortonspoint
02-11-2007, 07:17
All the Grosse Points are super and can't be beat for you! Grosse Pointe Shores will likely not be in your budget unless you make a solid 6 figure income! OH, and they don't call this the motor city for nothing. If you live any place other than the "east side" your going to have one heck of a drive...er....wait in traffic, if you work a normal work day hours (9 to 5).:thumbsup:

stallion114
02-11-2007, 10:30
+5 on Grosse Pointes great schools.
Conservative neighborhood, mostly Catholic if that means anything to you.

stallion114
02-11-2007, 10:31
I have heard a few people saying Ferndale is the new up and comer, but cant say for sure.

lakota169
02-11-2007, 19:11
Originally posted by stallion114
I have heard a few people saying Ferndale is the new up and comer, but cant say for sure.

Grand opening this month.

Ender
02-11-2007, 22:43
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/billcrossley/welcome2detroit.jpg

:supergrin:

follow the 15 mile rule. there are some crappy suburbs, and some high class 'burbs, all within 15 miles of Detroit. Saginaw (much further north) is Detroit's farm team :supergrin:

as far as the city goes....don't go off the beaten path, and CERTAINLY stick to it at night, but other than that, it ain't that bad.

suburbs vary wildly, so choose carefully depending on your habits and such.

Detroit is a funny city, because people out of state will crap their pants when you tell them you grew up near Detroit, not realizing that there are some NICE subdivisions only 10 or 15 miles north of what is basically the ghetto..

Bumpadrum
02-12-2007, 08:26
Originally posted by lakota169
Grand opening this month.

Ferndale is the new center of "counter-culture" lifestyles.
hippie: :ladiesman: :aodnsb: :eric: :kiss: :grouphug:

:shame: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

10 Ring Tao
02-12-2007, 19:35
Besides causing all kinds of problems with purchase permits and registrations, ferndale is up and coming as another gay locale. Mostly just another overpriced wannabe yuppie area, like 'downtown' royal oak, replete with speedtraps.

Just remember, if you're looking for a place to eat in ferndale along woodward, 'Comos is for Homos' but is 'Straight before 8', PM that is.

Terry W Koss
02-13-2007, 12:30
A couple of things to consider as I see it.
One, Grosse point is nice, but border's some bad neighborhoods, two, the taxes and insuance rates are high, relatively speaking.
Third, you may or may not have to jump through hoops on fire to register a handgun up there.
The solution is simple, Monroe county, excluding carleton, is a good place to live.
Not saying the other's are not, just know Monroe county is.

plumbum2
02-13-2007, 16:59
well, the its fair to say the farther west you go the "better" it gets . (from detroit that is)

believe it or not. their are some "decent" areas of detroit. that arent "as bad" . dont get me wrong.i still wont live there...

coverdog
02-13-2007, 18:08
I thought Royal Oak was the rump ranger capital of Michigan?

Ender
02-13-2007, 18:50
Originally posted by coverdog
I thought Royal Oak was the rump ranger capital of Michigan?

nope. Royal Oak is the YUPPIE capital of Michigan.

nothin like going out for $5 bottles of Miller Lite :upeyes:

wizzi01
02-13-2007, 20:22
Originally posted by Ender
nope. Royal Oak is the YUPPIE capital of Michigan.

nothin like going out for $5 bottles of Miller Lite :upeyes:

For some reason I picture the guy in The 40 year old virgin. Oh at least it is $8.00 beer night.

bigjim
02-25-2007, 20:40
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
Besides causing all kinds of problems with purchase permits and registrations, ferndale is up and coming as another gay locale. Mostly just another overpriced wannabe yuppie area, like 'downtown' royal oak, replete with speedtraps.

Just remember, if you're looking for a place to eat in ferndale along woodward, 'Comos is for Homos' but is 'Straight before 8', PM that is.

Ferndale has stupid hours for "safety inspections", but the Detective who does the actual inspection (if he's the same guy as two years ago when I moved out) is EXTREMELY pro-gun and a great guy to talk to. In fact, one day in his cubicle (littered with anti gun control literature) I was admiring his carry piece, and he drew, cleared it, and handed it to me. Freaked me right out, holding a cop's gun in the police station. He would also make arrangements to meet you outside the (very limited) normal inspection times if you couldn't get there.

As for Como's: It's open until 2 or 3 in the morning. If I'm drunk after the bar and need a dish of gnocci or a pizza, it's on like Donkey Kong baby. I don't care if the guy sitting next to me just got back from a Barbara Striesand concert. They deliver right up until close, too. I was pissed when I moved out of their delivery radius.

DennisH
03-16-2007, 17:05
I lived in Grosse Pointe Woods from 1957 - 1976, all through grade school, high school and into my Jr year of college when my folks moved away (good move on their part). Schools were very good then, and relatively speaking, still are. They are facing their share of difficulties though. I live in Livingston County now, and teach high school in Livonia. Having lived in the "Pointes," live now west of US-23, and teach in Livonia, for a USCG member the Livonia or Plymouth-Canton area offers probably the most bang for your buck. You didn't say what pay grade you are, but unless you're an 0-4 or above, I'd forget about the Pointes, particularly if you're only here for a three year tour or so. You'd be paying high dollars for the name, like buying a BMW when a Buick would meet your needs. What I like about the Livonia area is that the schools are superb (I teach at one of their three high schools), it has managed to retain a lot of it's 1950's charm where neighborhoods and neighbors interact and look out for each other, despite all that goes on around it to the east, where Detroit is. If you have any good sense about you, you will not, under ANY circumstances, live in Detroit proper. I know several USCG types in the Livonia area, and the commute to the Detroit station isn't bad, but realize that any commute driving into Detroit will be unpleasant most of the time unless you can time your travels around rush hour. As a retired Navy-type I've lived just about everywhere, so I can compare very easily. If you'd like to have more info, send me a PM.

Good luck and sail safe!

gunz213
03-16-2007, 17:11
Thanks for all the replies. My ship is inport for a while so I'm flying up there to look around. Actually I'm starting to look in Ohio because I learned that MI doesn't like my title II weapons, but I'll see how it goes next week.
Erick

10 Ring Tao
03-17-2007, 02:47
Originally posted by gunz213
Thanks for all the replies. My ship is inport for a while so I'm flying up there to look around. Actually I'm starting to look in Ohio because I learned that MI doesn't like my title II weapons, but I'll see how it goes next week.
Erick

Thanks to the work of some local guys, machine guns are now ok. Silencers, SBRs and SBSs are still verboten. Silencers look like they should fall the same way as machine guns, but SBS/SBR are banned by statute, and would require something similar to unban them.

copperhead1200C
04-06-2007, 06:21
You could check in the Dearbornastan area but I hear customs is a real pain in the ***.