Cobb County CERT classes in Jan/Feb [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cobb County CERT classes in Jan/Feb

dissthis
12-21-2006, 16:39
Cobb County is having classes for CERT in Jan and Feb if anyone is interested.

I have signed up to take the classes...here is a link

http://www.ema.cobbcountyga.gov/cert.htm

Its a good way to get some free training:thumbsup: and maybe help out if/when there is ever a local incident

lhuff
12-27-2006, 18:44
I hope you enjoy the class. My wife and I took the class some time ago (we're members # 100 & 101). They offer continuing classes each year. We've been to three classes since we graduated the original course. We just had a search and rescue class in early December. It is well worth while.

BTW, Brigade Quartermasters and possibly others offer discounts with your CERT ID, so keep it handy once you earn it.

dissthis
12-27-2006, 19:19
Thanks for the encouragement and the info!!

:wavey:

gajeep94yj
01-18-2007, 14:04
Wow! Thanks for the heads up! I just emailed the lady listed asking if I could still sign up for the classes starting on Jan 30th!!

Do you know of any other classes like this offered in Cobb county? I plan on taking the rescue diving class this year for my own develoment. I wouldn't taking other stuff like this in case the SHTF!

gajeep94yj
01-18-2007, 14:17
That was quick. She has already replied and there was space available so I signed up!

lhuff
01-25-2007, 16:23
Yes Lanita, Rozylnn and Anita are all great and working hard to make CERT a success in Cobb County.

About other stuff: Cobb County also offers a Citizen's Public Safety Academy about twice a year. It's a 10-12 week course of one evening a week. They take you to the jail, a fire station or 2, 911, the public safety training area, detectives HQ, etc. My favorite night was the night we got to play with the Fire Arm Training Simulator (FATS). We each got to try 3 realistic scenarios (hint, don't shoot the fat lady, her gun is just a beer bottle). It's been 5 years since we took it and the contact has changed. The new one is a lady Lt., but I can't remember her name. One of the CERT ladies might be able to give you a contact name.

It's well worth the 10-12 nights as you get to see a lot of the inter workings of the Public Safety Department and how your tax dollars are being spent. It requires a background check, but they pay for it.

dissthis
01-25-2007, 16:32
I am looking forward the the CERT classes, I am sure it will be an education.

gajeeep, I will look for you in the class...we need to come up with a code word:supergrin:

gajeep94yj
01-25-2007, 16:42
"if I were to say the geese fly west in the spring time...."

JK, I will be the tall geek with short hair. I tend to stick out. Oh yea 28 y.o.

dissthis
01-30-2007, 10:48
Tonight's the 1st class in the series...I will keep an eye out for you gajeep.

Anyone else from GT going to attend????

gajeep94yj
01-31-2007, 09:06
Let me guess. Blue shirt with white stripes. Dark hair with full beard right?

Your "bug-in" comment gave you away.

dissthis
01-31-2007, 15:06
Nope:tongueout:
Try again...

That guy had his 17/18 year old son with him...I'm not old enough to have a son that old:shocked: My oldest son is only 4.

I did not see a YJ in the parking lot, I was looking/didn't think you were there. I was also looking for "tall geeky"

I had on brown and rust colored shirt...first table on the right as you entered the room.

you?

gajeep94yj
01-31-2007, 16:34
I wasn't meaning the dad I was meaning the guy he was talking too.

Well its easy to figure out who you were then. The only other people at that table were the two old guys, the chick that didn't talk and me. I was sitting beside the door, actually I think we were sitting beside each other.

dissthis
01-31-2007, 16:43
Funny
I wondered if that was You...

You drive a honda not a Jeep??:headscratch:

See ya Thursday

gajeep94yj
01-31-2007, 16:55
No worse, a VW jetta, diesel at that!

It gets 49 mpg and my Jeep gets 4 mpg so I figure it averages out pretty good! I don't drive my Jeep on the road much anymore, although I may have to since someone reended my wife and of course insurance is trying to screw us! I just dropped of the rental car so now I may have to drive it and give her the VW.

Oh yea if you thought that was me then why didn't you use the secret passage?

Seth.

dissthis
01-31-2007, 17:17
I was trying to remember the secret code words but could not:rofl:

I had a 94 Jeep I bought from my brother n law that I had about a year and like a dumb-ass sold it:sad:

My first Jeep was a 71 CJ-5 with a 304 3 spd rolling on 33s with about 6 inches of lift. Headers with glass packs...that thing rocked!!

Currently I have a 2000 Cherokee ( I think its a TJ in Jeepers terms)

I am tempted in getting an older CJ7 as a couple of my close friends have gotten one recently. We used to go trail riding 4 wheeling in our younger days. Hard to do anything fun with a wife and 3 kids to answer to.:upeyes:

Gotta go feed said children...

gajeep94yj
01-31-2007, 19:10
A Cherokee is an xj, the tj is the 97+ wranglers.

My yj has a 1 ton drivetrain with 38s on it. Its not really a highway vehicle anymore.

See you tomorrow.