Poisonous Snake Experiences In MS.>? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Poisonous Snake Experiences In MS.>?

ULVER
12-22-2006, 16:35
Greetings from a fellow southerner! I have posted this question is several of the southern state forums. I recently read a book about dangerous snakes in the S.E. United States, and was curious to hear any experiences with them.

Your state I would think, would have a lot of Water Moccasins. I understand their role in nature, and respect them, not fear them, but I still don't like the thought of playing in a river in the summer, and walking up on one.

I was just curious to hear any thoughts or stories, anyone might have. Thanks!:)

WileyG27
12-22-2006, 19:04
Snakes were my main targets growing up, it's where I learned how to shoot. Every Spring, my cousin and I were sent out to 'clean up' our Grandad's pond... that meant shooting the snakes and turtles as we saw them. We did that to keep them from eating the fish(it was a new pond) and to keep our Grandparents safe while they were fishing.

I also used to 'hunt' for moccasins in a creek that ran thru our yard. Spring time was snake-killing time and if we didn't, the yard would have plenty hiding in the grass. I even stepped on one once right as I walking across the yard to get the lawnmower. Just got lucky that the snake didn't strike me...that or I jumped too high!

Is this the kind of stories you're looking for?

I grew up with snakes around me all my life whether they are moccasins, rattlers, black runners, king snakes,rat snakes or just common garden snakes. Some we killed on sight, some we left alone because they helped keep the rats & mice under control.

CentralMsGunFan
12-26-2006, 20:31
IMHO the only good snake is a dead one

Sundog
12-27-2006, 17:31
I grew up on a farm in the Delta, and saw more cottonmouths than I could count, as well as copperheads. I never saw any rattlers, although I know they were around. I even saw a coral snake once.

When I was a teenager, I almost got bitten by a cottonmouth while dove hunting, but a hunting buddy saw the snake before it struck. He calmly said, "don't move" and shot the snake right behind my leg. I didn't know if I should be glad he kept me from being bitten, or mad because he could have shot me in the leg at close range!

As far as I'm concerned, there are only six kinds of snakes that can hurt you: poisonous, nonpoisonous, live, dead, real, and fake. I hate them all.

Doubleclaw
12-30-2006, 10:34
I've seen most of the species of snakes that we have here, and as long as they leave me alone, I leave them alone. Even rattlers have their place as predators of pest critters, so as long as we understand each other I let them go about their rat-killin'.

I did shoot one on the Longleaf Trace just west of Jackson Road, and I found that Winchester Black Talons in .45 ACP work on rattlesnakes. It was him or me, and I voted me.

SouthernGal
01-04-2007, 12:56
We had an issue summer before last with Copperheads up in my area. When the spring first came on, a neighbor was called over to an elderly lady in the neighborhood's house. She said she had a snake curled up around the foot of one of her pieces of furniture. The guy came in and then realized what he had was a baby copperhead that had coiled himself around the foot of one of her den pieces of furniture. He used a huge grill mitt to catch this thing and kill it but we still have no idea how it got into the lady's house.

Two weeks later I saw what looked like the biggest copperhead I'd ever seen. My father was taking the garbage out to the curb and there it was laying in the driveway. It didn't do too well up against the garden hoe.

Sweetatergal & I saw a squished and still thrashing mocc a few months back out on the road to Cochrum. It was so fat the guy who hit it stopped to pick it up. It was gone by the time we came back by but I swear it was as big around as a bottle of water.

Shooters Plus
01-04-2007, 18:37
Originally posted by CentralMsGunFan
IMHO the only good snake is a dead one

I agree.

PARAGON
01-04-2007, 21:53
was bitten 4 years ago by a juvenile cottonmouth just above the wrist. He apparently was taking refuge in a small bush and I pushed a limb away as my wife and I were walking up out of a ravine in Yazoo County. I also contracted encephilitis from the bite, which in and of itself is hugely more rare than hitting the lottery. Several horses within a few miles of this area had died in the past of the Equine Encephilitis.

Worst part was that we were out looking at some land, were drinking beer, the bite hurt like a SOB for a few secs (it burned), but I didn't go to the hospital.

I didn't know a snake had bitten me, thought it was some spider or something. We went on and ate dinner somewhere that night and my arm started to swell from the wrist to the elbow.

The encephilitis is the only thing that clued to the type of snake. There have been a few cases of contraction from cottonmouths/water moccasins but apparently not other poisonous snakes.

BTW, last year my 5 yo daughter was riding my ATV with me on our farm and we came across a small, 10-12 inch or so, copperhead. He was moving out of a road and trying to move up a sand bank but stopped. We were sitting on the ATV, with it idling about 4 feet from it, when a 5 ft King snake entered the road about 20 yards up and proceeded directly to the copperhead and ate it, head first.

The whole time we were there within a few feet with the ATV idling. Copperhead never flinched until the King Snake had his head.

nothing
01-05-2007, 08:36
I was helping my mother clean out the shed by their lake when we came across a cotton mouth. She spotted it first, but it took off and we lost sight of it. We kept on working until I heard her yell "snake!". Just as I looked down I saw about a 4 foot long cotton mouth coming straight for me about 10 feet away.

My father always told me if I came across a snake not to make sudden movements and to very calmly and slowly move away. Therefore I stood very still. The snake didn't, it kept coming towards me. When it got about 5 feet from me I began to question that wisdom. It was then I decided my best option was to run like hell, and that's exactly what I did.

As I ran for my life my mother's maternal instincts did NOT kick in and she jumped into the trunk of the car with all the trash and hid. Fortunately this was during highschool and I was a track runner. I made it to the deck at the rear of the house and jumped onto it. When I looked back I saw a very dissappointed snake mope back to the water line.

I don't think I went into the backyard without at least a .410 for the next year after that.

Joe D
01-06-2007, 04:43
ULVER, don't move I think I see something behind you.

ULVER
01-06-2007, 16:26
Originally posted by Joe D
ULVER, don't move I think I see something behind you. :rofl: Simply gathering information, from several sources! I never should have started watching Animal Planet.

PARAGON
01-16-2007, 18:22
apparently all you need is a litte bunny wabbit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ez5QPW-ku4

NRA_guy
02-05-2007, 15:54
Not to impune the wisdom of any Glocktalkers but take anything you hear about snakes with a grain of salt.

99% of the people will tell you that any snake without rattlers on dry land is a copperhead, and any snake in or near water is a cottonmouth.

It just ain't so. Most snakes are non-poisonous.

We do have some poisonous snakes but as long as you don't walk around in the woods in low light and you watch where you are stepping, you will be OK.

I love it when folks say that you can distinguish poisonous snakes from non-poisonous snakes by the shape of their eyes.

Most poisonous snakes are "chunky" (i.e., big around and blunt on their tail) and most non-poisonous snakes are sort of skinny and have a long tapered tail.

All snakes will slither off if they get a chance.

You should be OK getting in water in Mississippi. That's because the alligators have eaten most of the snakes. :)

SouthernGal
02-06-2007, 07:45
Originally posted by NRA_guy

I love it when folks say that you can distinguish poisonous snakes from non-poisonous snakes by the shape of their eyes.

It's probably just misleading the way they state it.

ALL MS poisonous snakes have vertically elliptical pupils. So, it isn't that they have weird "shape to their eyes" it's that their PUPILS are shaped differently. Naturally, if the snake is dead when you examine it, it's easier to determine.

There was a lengthy article in MS Outdoors magazine years ago which went over these characteristics. At the time I was in about 8th grade but I do recall this.

Shooters Plus
02-06-2007, 08:30
Originally posted by NRA_guy
All snakes will slither off if they get a chance.

I walked up on a cottonmouth one night while coonhunting. I saw him about 6 feet before we got to him and we veered off to the left to go around him. He charged about 10 feet and struck at my right foot. He luckily missed and died shortly after.

I was walking down an old fourwheeler trail one day and a 6' rattlesnake was crossing the trail. He stopped in the middle of the trail and coiled up and commenced to rattleing. He stayed there for about 10 minutes while I video taped him. He died shortly after.

I remember once when I was a kid a blackrunner chased my daddy across a hay field.

Yes, take what you hear about snakes with a grain of salt because not ALL will slither away if given a chance.

nothing
02-06-2007, 08:44
Originally posted by uncle z
Yes, take what you hear about snakes with a grain of salt because not ALL will slither away if given a chance.

+1