Paris Island vs. San Diego....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Paris Island vs. San Diego.......

kevdog91
12-22-2006, 23:42
I know that we are all Marine Corps Green, but which bootcamp do you think is tougher? Paris Island or San Diego!
I'm biased, but I have to say that the heat of Paris Island on a August afternoon has got to give the edge to Paris Island!

God Bless SDI SSgt Griffen
:thumbsup:

inkslut
12-23-2006, 21:25
hmmmm, I don't remember seeing women being trained at MCRD San Diego. :tongueout:

gruntmedik
12-24-2006, 11:36
Originally posted by inkslut
hmmmm, I don't remember seeing women being trained at MCRD San Diego. :tongueout:

Cause they wanted to let y'all think you were tough. :supergrin:

12-25-2006, 13:08
Definitely San Diego. Having to go back to the Quonset Huts after spending the day on the beach with surfing lessons and looking at all those California Gals in their Bikinis was almost more than most of us could take.

Semper Fi

MCSGT
12-25-2006, 14:26
Sand Fleas eating you alive while standing at attention builds discliplne! Parris Island all the way.

RM
12-25-2006, 14:29
I will give you the sand flees suck, but manual of arms with a surf board is damn hard. Not to mention having to hump them up some hellacious mountains.

Kingslayer
12-26-2006, 13:14
The reason they train women at P.I. is because they want them tough like the rest of us, not like you San Diego guys.

That and they put you next to the airport for a reason, it's that much cheaper to ship you home when you break.

inkslut
12-26-2006, 13:18
Originally posted by Kingslayer

That and they put you next to the airport for a reason, it's that much cheaper to ship you home when you break.

You got me there. It is very hard to break without a mountain to hump.

Kingslayer
12-26-2006, 13:37
You got me there. It is very hard to break without a mountain to hump.

I don't know why, but that made me think of something funny. Well, it wasn't funny then, but it is now. It'll give you San Diego guys something to laugh at.

We were doing a Bn. run at P.I. and we were running on the road out behind the rifle range. There's basically nothing there but a sand road with swamp on both sides.

Our platoon was the 4th platoon back from the front. All of a sudden, everything just stopped. I could hear people screaming and Marines flying everywhere! Then calls to the rear for the Corpsmen in the back.

Turns out the Bn. spooked an 8 point buck and it turned and charged the Bn. out of fright. Damn thing sent 3 Marines home and 2 to the hospital.

Even our animals are mean and blood thirsty killers. What do you have on MCRDSD? A bunch of damn bunny rabbits. I've been there, I've seen the bunny rabbits...

TMG
12-26-2006, 13:52
Dont they call it "Paradise Island" for a reason??
With a name like that, it couldn't be as tough as SD....

Oh, and we had "Mount' Mother F-r'" doesn't that count for anything??..lol

E

Kingslayer
12-26-2006, 15:15
Originally posted by TMG

Oh, and we had "Mount' Mother F-r'" doesn't that count for anything??

E

Not really.

Especially considering you guys don't have Mt. Mother****er, Camp Pendleton does. You guys have to go elsewhere for any type of training above basic drill.

We never leave the island.

And you can't tell me how much harder boot camp is when the base is covered with cuddly little rabbits. WTF is that?

blubottlemax
12-26-2006, 16:36
I don't know what the split up is now, but we spent 5 weeks at MCRD San Diego, 4 weeks at Camp Pendleton, and then back to MCRD for 4 weeks. Transportation consisted of busses with your head down in your lap the whole time, no looking outside, and you better not fall asleep! So yes, bootcamp did include Mt. Mother$%cker. I went from July to August, it got up over 100 a few times, and stayed in the high 90's plenty. I got heat exhaustion once after an assault course, ended up drinking 8 canteens of water straight after that. Get caught looking at the ocean? Yeah, I only did that once, that was enough thank you very much. MCT was a return to Camp Pendleton, only this time we got to deal with waking up covered in ice every morning, and more of those lovely California mountains. Either way, I'm sure we all went through our extremes and challenges. Each coast has something different to offer, I say it comes out a wash.

BTW, I think the DI's secretly love the Airport at San Diego. They would wait until the moment when one was taking off to shout an order, and then watch us look on in helpless confusion trying to figure out what to do... back to the pit... :banana:

kevdog91
12-26-2006, 19:02
it got up over 100 a few times:laughabove:
Yeah but it was a dry heat.:tongueout:

Kingslayer
12-27-2006, 11:32
All the crazy Marines come from P.I. It's the damn sand fleas. After a while, they make people snap. They almost made quite a few of us snap. The D.I.s will leave you standing there just to watch the sand fleas bite you.

squeakr
01-01-2007, 11:23
I always loved these discussions because no one knows the truth until you have experienced both (I actually know one guy who went through both, but that is another story) and all he would say is that each has it's own killer aspects, and that the second time through is a whole different experience as you already know all of the tricks and mind games that are going to be played on you (and he had a father who was a SDI at PI too).
He did say that one of the hardest things is all of the planes and the change of location, as it makes it so tempting. He said at PI you were there for the duration, saw nothing but the island and accepted this. At SD everyday you would see either the airport, I5, or some other distraction that said that there was still another world out there and it would be so easy to just jump the fence and go. He said the temptation alone was such a killer.
I went to SD, and yes we had no sand fleas, but we did have rattle snakes, brown recluse, and black widows (none of which were fun when they tried to get into sleeping bags with you. When I went we did both Mt. MF'r and the Grim Reaper (and a third that was less impressionable but had a bad name the less). Do they still do all of them??? We also had to do our own laundry nd service week, which my buddy told me they didn't do at PI (things may have changed since then, but that was true at that time).

Semper FI

Also try to be named Dan Dailey (different spelling, but mattered not to the DI's when you go to boot) and see if it really matters where you go to boot at as it will suck wherever. I know the hard way (but it pays off at the Ball as everyone wants to buy the Marine Dan Dailey a drink, just don't drive there and plan on driving home.:thumbsup:

pjva04
01-12-2007, 20:51
gotta say, PI got to be kind of comfortable after awhile. I liked knowing all those sand fleas and gators were there to talk to me when I was lonely...gee I miss it there:crying:

Bonk
01-13-2007, 10:09
When I went through PI, a recruit doing the A-line shooting during BWT got a little stupid with the muzzle of his M16A2 and flinged off two rounds towards Hilton Head. If anyone remembers that range, on a semi-clear day (I went over the winter), you could just barely make out Hilton Head across the bay. As quick as the instructors jumped on him, his head hit the ground before the bullets did. :supergrin:

digitspaw
01-27-2007, 11:31
Originally posted by Kingslayer
All the crazy Marines come from P.I. It's the damn sand fleas. After a while, they make people snap. They almost made quite a few of us snap. The D.I.s will leave you standing there just to watch the sand fleas bite you.

D.I.? Did you just call your drill instructor a "D.I."?:drillsgt:

"Everybody drop and give me 50, ladies".

digitspaw
01-27-2007, 11:41
I entered Boot Camp in Dec of 1968 in San Diego. Man, that airport sure looked tempting at times from the obstacle course and the south 40 run.

I still occasionally return to MCRD on a Friday to watch the recruit graduation pass and review on the grinder.

I get a lump in my throat and teary eyed with pride.

I gotta say, I hated it from the time I hit the yellow footprints until I was discharged, but I wouldn't trade the experiences for a million dollars. No freakin' way. The Marines made me what I am today and taught me comraderie and integrity and how to 'get 'er done'.

I didn't hate everything, but it was a VERY unpopular time to be a Marine. While on liberty in San Diego, you could expect to be yelled at, disparaged, spit on, or beat up by civilians.

It just plain sucked. It was also the height of the period when short hair styles were ridiculed. EVERYONE knew you were a Marine.

I should clarify something. There was NO liberty during boot camp. My unit (1st ANGLICO) moved from Kaneohe Bay, HI. to MCRD in May of 1971.

Man, do I have some great stories about our salty field tactical unit coming home to roost at the spit and polish world of MCRD!:rofl:

Paw:wavey:

Ignition
01-27-2007, 13:27
Man, do I have some great stories about our salty field tactical unit coming home to roost at the spit and polish world of MCRD!

LMAO

bet that was some GREAT times.... lol

jackwagnerusmc
01-28-2007, 01:13
PI RULES!!!!!!!!! no HOLLYWOOD MARINES AT PI!!!

hankfan79
01-28-2007, 01:31
Originally posted by 2952
Definitely San Diego. Having to go back to the Quonset Huts after spending the day on the beach with surfing lessons and looking at all those California Gals in their Bikinis was almost more than most of us could take.

Semper Fi

Ya'll got to see women?? Crap! I didn't see the first one except for in church. GO P.I.!!!!:thumbsup:

I also remember the Bank Sign saying it was 114 degrees at one point. Did we get "black flagged"? Oh hell naw...we built nice little sand castles..

OOH RAH!!

Irishcutie12985
02-02-2007, 00:50
PARIS ISLAND ALL THE WAY I LOVE THAT PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!1:)

USMC03Grunt
02-05-2007, 21:40
San Diego breeds that mental toughness. Ok, so you jump the fence at PI, now what? Go to Beuford? Did anybody really know where Beuford was when they were in boot camp? Now San Diego was different. You could see the freedom birds taking off all the time and think to yourself, "if I just jumped that fence..." all the time forcing yourself to go that extra mile and not go UA or something crazy like that. Now back in my day, the NTC, MCRD and the airport all shared a fenced boundary. Well, one Navy recruit thought that same thing and actually did jump the fence. Good idea, wrong fence. Our DI caught him and after talking to his CC, we got to keep him for a week. After a week of "recruit Popeye" (yes, that is what we were instructed to call him) being our Drill Instructors whipping boy, his CC came back to get him. He asked him if he still wanted to be a Marine and that kid gave back the loudest "SIR NO SIR!!!!" I've ever heard!:supergrin:
Nope, gators and sand fleas have nothing on Mount Mother****er and the constant temptation of just jumping that one fence.

Chief301
02-08-2007, 15:30
Did my basic at PI in the winter, three days of black flag from freezing temps then the sand fleas came out........I was a SDI at MCRDSD, 15 sets of orders to DI School from Lejune, 14 to PI and 1 to SD. I raised all kinds of a ruckus.....that is until I got to SD. There is something to be said for the mental games at SD, seeing Old Town just above the highway and the airport behind the PT field. Yes we did wait until a plane was taking off to give commands and use it as an excuse to go to the pit. I think it was easier to stay focused at PI because you were there and isolated as opposed to SD where you could see the civiled world drive by. Heat at SD was an issue during field training and there weren't no danged pigmy rattlers on PI as opposed to Pendleton......but thats another story:laughabove:

TESohio
03-02-2007, 14:02
I was at MCRD P.I. in 82. Our barracks was right across the bay from Beuford,S.C.. From the window behind my rack I could see the bridge going into town, and sometimes cars driving over it. After lights out was the only time that you could look and not get punished for it.:tongueout:

Who said The Marine Corps dosn't care about nature? They ring the dinner bell for the sand fleas by having you wear "Deep Woods Off" :supergrin:

Since SD doesn't have sand fleas, they had to find other means to make you suffer.:supergrin:

pjva04
03-02-2007, 14:46
Originally posted by TESohio

Who said The Marine Corps dosn't care about nature? They ring the dinner bell for the sand fleas by having you wear "Deep Woods Off" :supergrin:

Since SD doesn't have sand fleas, they had to find other means to make you suffer.:supergrin:

...and don't forget swabbing down your face from the "MUG JUG"...a tasty feast for those little critters:cake:

USMC32
03-06-2007, 20:58
the sand fleas give us the edge. you have to experience them to know what were talking about.words cant describe how horrible they sting in the summer months.

GlockTrog
03-09-2007, 15:20
SD is tougher. I remember once while I was lounging at the beach, my DI brought me a Pina Colada instead of the Rum and Coke I asked for. It realy sucked listening to him apologize.:)

akapennypincher
03-10-2007, 18:26

The above reply is FUNNY. But the QUESTION has No Correct Answer. How about a question like: when was Marine Corp Boot Camp the Toughest?

1940's

1950's

1960's

1970's etc.?

BTW San Diego can be AWEFUL HOT in Summer :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout:

328ichris
03-15-2007, 09:28
I went to boot camp at Parris Island at the end of 2002, and I just went to San Diego for two months for recruiters school. From what I've seen, both have their nuances.

Parris Island drove me crazy because, being with 3rd Bn and never really going to mainside, I literally thought I was in the middle of a swamp. I had no idea when I was going through training about the rest of the base. Whenever we went anywhere they took us through back routes and we never saw much. The entire time I was scared that if we screwed up, they'd take us into the swamps and jack us up. What was maddening was the lack of exposure to the real world.

San Diego seems like it would be the ultimate in frustration for a recruit. Right there in the middle of an awesome city. You've got retirees, civilians, other Marines walking around all the time. To make matters worse, they're renovating the recruit chow hall right now so they're marching 3rd phase recruits to the regular chow hall. It would be hard not to just go crazy. At San Diego, it seems the relative overexposure to the real world would be maddening.

stanimal
03-16-2007, 08:20
S.D., or P.I.? Lets compare--- S.D. has beach front property.P.I. has beach front property. S.D. has mountains, rattle snakes, buffalos, and trantulas. P.I. has beach front property.-----Hmmm... sorry ladies

reconvic
04-05-2007, 18:41
In 1967 Parris Island had swamps and wooden huts 2nd Battalion did.
I feel every Marine has hell to pay in Boot Camp I know they no longer can hit you, but they are other ways to make your life bad.
As Chesty said Old Corp , New Corps , don't mean a thing as long as it;s the Marine Corps!
S/F Vic

akapennypincher
04-08-2007, 18:47
My San Diego DI circa 1965 was TWELVE FEET TALL, Breather Fire, and had FANGS that could KILL with one Bite, and Spit Poison.

He was FEARED by all the Recruits in his Platoon. Sadly after our Platoon Graduation from MCRD, this DI was brought up on CHARGES of Kicking the ***** out of another Recruit, and Busted from E-6 to E-3 and shipped off to NAM...

[/i] :supergrin: :supergrin:

AdminJarhead
04-25-2007, 13:44
There may be no female recruits at MCRD SD but the CG is female... does it make a difference, couldn't tell you. We are all going to biased and stick by where ever we spent that particular 13 weeks of hell. The only way to really find out which is tougher is to go through both. I'm not sure any of us is that freakin nuts. I work at a school house and I can tell you this much. I definately see a discipline difference between the two. Does that mean one is tougher than the other, probably not. I will say this much, Parris Island was at one time uninhabitable marshlands. And for one reason or another the brass of that day and age thought that was an ideal environment to train America's Elite Fighting Force.

MCRD PI
2d Bn F Co
Plt 2009
Nov 2005 - Feb 2006

Erock1272
04-30-2007, 00:15
Was it me.....or were the squirrels on PI "Marine Green" too. Sand fleas on the parade deck or fire ants during morning PT!! PI is tougher. Semper Fidelis

OD GASTON
05-08-2007, 20:42
MCRD, San Diego, 1990.

Plt. 2015.
Senior Drill Instructor SSGT. Flores

Ooh-Rah!

My dad was there in 1968, he came and watched me graduate.

Watching those plane's take off all day is torture!!!!

hanknglock
05-11-2007, 22:08
Hi Jarheads,

Hank here '83-'87 2542/2531 3rd Bn 3098 H Co

I remember during our bivauc out at the old airstrip a midnight encounter with a very large Raccoon while I was making a head call. I didn't really pay much attention to him because I thought it was just a dog getting in the trash can. He turned to look at me that's when I noticed it was a 'coon. Wow they sure were big there.

My best friend AL's dad "Big Jim" was a Korean War frozen Chosin reservoir survivor Marine. He was only 15 yrs old when he lied about his age by using his older brother's birth certificate and enlisted. He was just 16 in Korea. He passed away back in November of cancer. That's when I found about his 4 year tour. 2 purple hearts 1 silver star 1 bronze star. He never spoke of his time in Korea he only spoke of his time at P.I. that was when they flew you directly into P.I. when that airstrip was operational. He got out of the airplane and stood on the yellow foot prints then was punched in the face by the D.I. simply because he was the tallest man 6'6". That was the only story he ever told anyone.

Semper Fi

Chieftain
08-12-2007, 03:03
Like reconvic a year later, I reported to PI in the summer of 1966. I was assigned 1st RTR. Lots of asbestos shingles on wooden structures.

Then after a couple of tours in Vietnam with the 3rdMarDiv, in 71 I was assigned to Hollywood as a JDI.

Yea, like Chief301, did Boot at PI was a Hat at SD.

When you are on the receiving end either place seems like the pits of hell.

By the way, I was relieved for politely explaining to a young recruit the benefits of having a clean rifle. They fired me, but I didn't get busted.

Clean weapons were and are one of my pet peeves, I can get rather loud and excited about to this day.

I was in Nam when they ordered us to turn in our M14s for a rifle that didn't work a lot of the time. Bagged and tagged a bunch of Marines because of that black POS. Some of them were friends.

Anyway, that experience sort of etched in a clean weapon phobia. The VA still thinks they can fix it.

sup3r64
08-20-2007, 13:07
Parris Island!

3rd Battalion!

jrs93accord
09-12-2007, 15:17
There is nothing like MCRD Parris Island in June, July, and August. I can remember a few Black Flag days during my time there. My father spent four years at P.I. (1 yr. for DI school, 3 yrs. as a DI). We lived in Beaufort at the time. That was back in 1960-1964. I was born in late 1960. I was at PI in 1978.

RDW
09-21-2007, 13:26

They did in 1961!