O.k. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : O.k.

EL COLONEL
12-23-2006, 11:57
O.K. I'm tring to find a good calibre for my wife to go hog hunting with me. So i'm tring to find out which calibre kicks less for her?? I was thinking of either a 270 winchester in a rem. modle 700 , a 7mm-08 in same gun , or a 30-30 in a marlin modle 336. So which would you all think would kick less???? NO 243's don't like the calibre personal reasons . any help would be great!! Thanx:hugs:

Bitmap
12-23-2006, 17:34
I would try using Remington Managed Recoil ammo. There are also other brands of reduced recoil ammo.

The .30-30 load recoils about like a .30 Carbine when fired in the Marlin. My 6 year old son used that combination to kill his first deer. The load has a 125gr. Core-Lokt at a nominal 2175fps. The bullet exited on a broadside shot.

If you expect really big pigs (300+ pounds) then the .270 with Managed Recoil might be a better choice. The .270 MR has a 115gr. at a nominal 2710fps, which probably would be low recoil in most hunting rifles.

Here are links:

Remington Managed Recoil (http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-Recoil.asp)

Remington Ballistics (http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/)

You might consider using a PAST Recoil Shield. My son used the thinnest one of those in practice. I think it is called a Field Shield. They help a lot.

Here is a link for that:

PAST shields at MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?TabID=0&category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=PAST+recoil+shield&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=0&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=0&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button)

Hope this helps. Have fun and good luck. Be sure to post pics!!

Esox357
12-24-2006, 09:09
The 30-30 for 150 yard shots or less and 25.06 for open fields. Esox357.

DJ Niner
12-25-2006, 00:28
You can figure recoil energy/velocity from the interactive online program here:
http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/recoil/recoil.html
but you'll need to know the bullet weight, charge weight of the gunpowder, muzzle velocity of the load, and weight of the gun in pounds to use the program.

However, the numbers never tell the whole story. For best recoil management, you need to consider gun/stock "fit" to the shooter, ammo (as said above, there are loads that reduce recoil, but they may reduce effectiveness too), clothing (will this hunting be done in heavy coats, or T-shirt weather?), other recoil management aids (strap-on recoil pads, aftermarket gunstock add-ons, padded shirts, etc.), and finally, gun weight.

To minimize recoil, make sure the gun fits the shooter well, use the least-powerful ammo in the chosen caliber that will still get the job done, add a gun-mounted recoil pad and shorten the stock so the gun still fits properly after installation, and buy/use the heaviest gun that the shooter can stand to haul around and/or quickly mount for the particular type of hunt. Gun/stock "fit" can't be understated; especially in fast-paced conditions like some hog hunting, the gun simply MUST fit the shooter well if they are expected to make quick accurate shots on a moving, maybe threatening, target.

Hope this was helpful.

vafish
12-25-2006, 11:12
What range are you shooting pigs at?

My son started out deer hunting with a Winchester 94 Trapper in .44 magnum. We started him out with some light loads and he used Winchster 210 gr silvertips his first year of hunting. Didn't shoot any deer with it. Next year he was shooting full power 240 gr JSP's in it.

When he was 12 he moved up to a .30-30 Marlin 336.

This year at age 13 he shot his first deer with the .30-30.

I think the .30-30 would work fine for your wife, and if the recoil is too much you can do as Bitmap suggested and try the Remington managed recoil loads.

EL COLONEL
12-25-2006, 21:05
B,D,E,and V thanx for all the info it looks like i'll go with the 30-30 as shots will be around 125 yards and under. Merry CRISTmas to all. :hearts:

vafish
12-26-2006, 06:20
Originally posted by EL COLONEL
B,D,E,and V thanx for all the info it looks like i'll go with the 30-30 as shots will be around 125 yards and under. Merry CRISTmas to all. :hearts:

I think the .30-30 would be a good choice, but in 18 1/2 years of marriage I've learned one thing about women and guns.

Buying your woman a gun without her trying it out first is like buying her a pair of shoes without her trying them on first.

It's probably not going to work.

See if you can't get her to try out a .30-30 first before you spend the money.

Don't limit yourself to lever action rifles. TC makes .30-30 barrels for the Contender Carbine, NEF makes a singleshot in .30-30 and there are lots of the old Savage .30-30 bolt action rifles around.

Remington makes the managed recoil ammo in .270, .308, and .30-06. If you find a rifle she likes in those calibers they would be good choices too.

The .260 Remington, 7mm-08, and 7x57 are all fairly light recoiling rounds that also would do well.

EL COLONEL
12-26-2006, 10:36
Hey V , Thanx for all your input, I'll see if i can borrow my father inlaws 30-30 and have her try it. Good day sir.:thumbsup:

357glocker
12-26-2006, 12:35
If your wife doesn't like a classic 30-30 levergun it's time to kick her to the curb:supergrin: