Toyota FJ, Nissan Xterra, or ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Toyota FJ, Nissan Xterra, or ?

jungle
12-24-2006, 17:07
I need a Four Wheel Drive for snowy conditions in Anchorage, Alaska. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it small, light on the offroad, although some of the roads in the area are rough, and the highest priority is Reliability(with a capital R). Thanks for any help you may provide.

Kurly
12-24-2006, 17:40
The Toyota FJ got mediocre test drive results in one of the recent mags (Car & Driver?). Limited visibility out the back, mediocre handling and fairly rough ride. Reliability is expected to be good due to Toyota design. I test drove the Xterra and found the ride to be fairly rough for my use. I think it sits on a truck chassis so therefore the suspension isn't as smooth as some of the other SUVs. I'd look into a Subaru wagon or a Toyota Highlander 4WD. I have the latter and have been driving it for 3 years. Decent gas milesage, comfortable ride that compares to the Lexus SUV but $14k less, handles decently in snow and has enough room for my purposes. Buy a used one and save even more.

jungle
12-24-2006, 17:57
How is the ground clearance on unplowed roads? Charlotte is a little weak in the snow and cold department, is this where you need a four wheel drive?

Kurly
12-24-2006, 18:02
Ground clearance on the Highlander is 7.3" for 4WD. May not be enough for your needs...:upeyes:

Yeah, Charlotte doesn't incur a huge amount of snow but we can get 6-8" at times. I moved from Asheville and had more use of the 4WD there.

Rinconjoe
12-24-2006, 19:23
well I am not sure wear he got his info on the FJ cruiser , I have done my research and since july 06 have had it just about any wear I wanted to go , it has even been to point wear water came inside cab and kept, going, as far as snow well we havent had any yet but went to mountains with very limited snow done fine. I had done my research and drove most other suv's and didnt like them personally I love my fj cruiser picture on my rides forum.
some review cnet :
http://reviews.cnet.com/2007_Toyota_FJ_Cruiser/4505-10868_7-31677240.html
trucks:
http://trucks.about.com/od/2007suvs/ss/07_fjcruiser.htm
http://www.epinions.com/content_229713940100
http://www.can4x4.com/reviews/fj-cruiser/fj-cruiser.htm
edmonds review:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/toyota/fjcruiser/100688146/ratings_consumer.html

as you can see its been rated very high by the drivers and people who has one , I have a full size chev truck and spend most my time in my fj cruiser , now there are some dislikes , one the heater system belive it or not is too warm hear in nc , but yes by moving my temp to little over on cold side it better, some lack of being able to see out the side but it ok, my gase millage is allot better than what I was told average every day driving in the 19-22 rage . this last weekedn went four wheeling and some rock crawling and still came in at 16 mpg. do your research there are several of us on this web forum that have them.

Toxie
12-25-2006, 01:06
Any reason the Wrangler isn't on your list? Probably the best off-roader in stock trim and very affordable and reliable. Just het the solid roof, and you all set.

Rinconjoe
12-25-2006, 01:21
I could think of few reason its not , but won't go there actually he asked about suv the other plain and simple isnt its in a diffrent class basically its a jeep.

Rob96
12-25-2006, 07:09
If considering something in the Xterra size I would opt for the Toyota 4Runner.

skeeeter
12-26-2006, 03:41
I am very happy with the H3 I just bought. Was able to put 35" BFG MT tires inside the large wheel wells with no modifications. Do not have to use Premium gas like the FJ. The larger size tires make a big difference in snow.
I drove the Xterra and FJ and liked the way the H3 rode better and the lack of cheap plastics on the interior like the FJ and Xterrea has.
Getting 18 mpg with the 35's and 20mpg with the stock 33" size.

Rob96
12-26-2006, 03:51
I drove the Xterra and FJ and liked the way the H3 rode better and the lack of cheap plastics on the interior like the FJ and Xterrea has.

Just have cheap plastic on the front end. Buddy of mine has a H3, hit a deer and the front end shattered. What he thought was a "chrome grill" was plastic. $2700 damage. Kicker is he didn't hit the deer that hard.

Rinconjoe
12-26-2006, 10:55
actualluy we don't have to run premium gas in it that was the over sea's models and platic Hum you better look take aclosier look there allot more platic on the H3 than you think.
check out these pics
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trail-report-photo-section-gps-coordinates/16621-nc-sc-tlca-event-12-9-a.html
oh hears is there szervice bulletin to use regular gas:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/engine-performance-maintenance-tech/2072d1150381737-toyota-bulletin-using-regular-gas-anyone-seen-premium-vs-regular.jpg

Rob96
12-26-2006, 15:18
Originally posted by Rinconjoe
actualluy we don't have to run premium gas in it that was the over sea's models and platic him you better look cloder there allot more platic on the H3 than you think.
check out these pics
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trail-report-photo-section-gps-coordinates/16621-nc-sc-tlca-event-12-9-a.html
oh hears is there szervice bulletin to use regular gas:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/engine-performance-maintenance-tech/2072d1150381737-toyota-bulletin-using-regular-gas-anyone-seen-premium-vs-regular.jpg

Man you old enough to drive let alone type on an internet board?

D-Caen
12-27-2006, 22:17
Is diesel hard to come by? How long til the "clean" diesel gets up there? The 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee's have a V6 diesel option. 215 hp @ 3800rpm & 376 lbs @ 1600 thru 2800 rpm. Tows 7400 lbs. Should get 19/24 mpg and has a 21+ gallon tank. 400 miles minimum between fill ups. Reliablity of a Mercedes built diesel, offroad capability of a Jeep.

Toxie
12-28-2006, 22:30
I could think of few reason its not , but won't go there actually he asked about suv the other plain and simple isnt its in a diffrent class basically its a jeep.

And why is that? It's small, light, good on gas relable and better off-road than any of the others listed. SUV requirement WASN'T listed. If it's BASICALLY a jeep, why not ACTUALLY buy a jeep?

I don't even own one - but seriously test drive one before you make up your mind. Espically with the unlimited out there now.

Rinconjoe
12-29-2006, 08:31
well first its not reliable I had two got rid both due to the excess amount of in shop repair, all on suspension related items, and it wasnít very good off road to be honest yes maybe if you put a bunch of added accessories ect, I have never had good luck with any of the jeeps, there for I donít consider them reliable, oh and the only view trouble with the FJ is if you donít have your mirrors adjusted. As with all vehicles there are some blind spots.
Gas mileage is better than any of the jeeps I have had and even when we go mud, rock and trial riding its get better than any of the jeeps in our group there are 14 of us who travel and play, yes I do change my stock tires common since there you change type tire for the type driving you be doing. Others love the jeep good for them but my history and riding with my friends in one I will pass. Bottom line he will have to test drive what ever he wants and make his own mind up.

OUSooner
12-29-2006, 20:15
While the FJ may get slightly better mpg than a Jeep you have to use premium fuel in it.

Rinconjoe
12-29-2006, 21:15
obviousl;y you have been miss informed read this and weep !!!!!!!!!http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/engine-performance-maintenance-tech/2072d1150381737-toyota-bulletin-using-regular-gas-anyone-seen-premium-vs-regular.jpg

OUSooner
12-31-2006, 08:12
Hmmm everywher I have looked is says it takes premium 91 octane because of the high compression ratio. If you put 87 in there long term you will damgage the engine. Not to mention the thing looks like an oversized Scion :tongueout:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/toyota/fj_cruiser/base_sport_utility/349/specifications/index.html

Rinconjoe
12-31-2006, 08:35
well for what ever reason you don't like the FJ is your reason all I can say is I have 46,000 miles on mine both off road and on road and on trails well lets say it does better than most the others including the jeeps.and we go off roading about every other weekend in tenn, WV, NC . bottom line going to be personal choice and for what its worth the regular fuel will not hurt it in any way .

Canon9
01-04-2007, 04:18
I am planning to buy a vehicle in the next month or so in this category. I have been back to the Jeep dealer quite a few times to look at the Jeep Wrangler 4-Door. It drives good and the improvements in drive/ride and handling are monumental over previous Wranglers. It is a totally new vehicle without losing it's Wrangler character. The serious model for off road is the Rubicon which can be bought for $27-$30,000. I think resale value is going to be excellent as well.

Just a thought.

Kramer
01-21-2007, 18:22
Originally posted by Rinconjoe
well for what ever reason you don't like the FJ is your reason all I can say is I have 46,000 miles on mine both off road and on road and on trails well lets say it does better than most the others including the jeeps.and we go off roading about every other weekend in tenn, WV, NC . bottom line going to be personal choice and for what its worth the regular fuel will not hurt it in any way .

We're taking new Wranglers and FJs right?

There is a huge diff between the Jeep Wrangler and an FJ when offroading. The Jeep has a solid front axle which gives it a massive advantage. The FJ's IFS limits the ability of it's offroading manners. For trails I'm sure the FJ does fine but not the tough stuff.

The trade off is the FJ is much better suited for road handling. Wranglers suck for everyday driving.

skeeeter
02-13-2007, 01:15
ROB96-They ALL have a lot of plastic up front. There are some nice brushed metal trim pieces in the H3 and the materials are high quality

If you are going to lift it I would say the Rubicon is the best for off road and deep snow -assuming that after you lifted it you added 35" tires. But lifted it is very tiring to drive on the highway and forget about trying to avoid something on the highway. The H3 rides good with the 35"s.
The foot print on a 35" tire makes a MAJOR difference in snow and over rough trails. The H3 is the only vehicle that will fit 35" tires on it while it is stock. I have BFG MT's and the difference from stock 33" tires is way more than you could imagine.
I picked the H3 over the Rubicon for safety. When I drive on snowy roads I like the idea it is heavy, 4700 plus lbs and has very good side protection. The Rubicon offers no real side protection and is no where as safe in an accident. I do not like soft tops or doors in bears country such as Alaska.What would you rather be driving in when someone is skidding towards you???
I like the Xterra's engine but that is all. The interior is so cheap it looks like the Mattel toy dash board I used to play with as a child. The H3 actually won design awards for its classy interior and high quality materials. Great thick, comfortable steering wheel. It is the best 4 wheeler I have owned which includes Scouts, CJ's , FJ40's, Pathfinders, Grand Cherokees.

MCKNBRD
02-13-2007, 14:05
Originally posted by jungle
I need a Four Wheel Drive for snowy conditions in Anchorage, Alaska. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it small, light on the offroad, although some of the roads in the area are rough, and the highest priority is Reliability(with a capital R). Thanks for any help you may provide.
I'll let the Jeep and FJ kids thump their chests and give you some good advice. Unless you want a Jeep or FJ or large-ish SUV type thing, look at the Subaru Forester. More internal volume than most need, good gas mileage, GREAT for light off-road and SNOWY conditions, and reliable as hell. If you're wanting to spend a little more and get a LOT more features, look at the Outbacks. Especially ones with VDC.

Byrdman

Kramer
02-13-2007, 17:50
Originally posted by MCKNBRD
I'll let the Jeep and FJ kids thump their chests and give you some good advice. Unless you want a Jeep or FJ or large-ish SUV type thing, look at the Subaru Forester. More internal volume than most need, good gas mileage, GREAT for light off-road and SNOWY conditions, and reliable as hell. If you're wanting to spend a little more and get a LOT more features, look at the Outbacks. Especially ones with VDC.

Byrdman

If you get the Forester you better opt for the XT. We had one and it screwed! Just too damn small.

Any other Forester and you won't be doing any chest thumping.

aaroncstevens
03-09-2007, 12:57
Just [icked up na FJ, and am deeply in love. Have had it all around in the snow, and it handles beautifully. IT is reliable, spacious (without being "big"), powerful, and maneuverable. Gas is 20 highway and 15 city. Given the choice fo any vehicle on the road, I'd pick it all over again. No chest thumping...we put 2000 miles on a subaru forester rental (brand new) just before we bought the FJ. We liked it, but wanted something more robust, and are thrilled with the decision. We'll be picking up another in a couple fo months. Taht should say something...

CBennett
03-15-2007, 06:59
Originally posted by aaroncstevens
Just [icked up na FJ, and am deeply in love. Have had it all around in the snow, and it handles beautifully. IT is reliable, spacious (without being "big"), powerful, and maneuverable. Gas is 20 highway and 15 city. Given the choice fo any vehicle on the road, I'd pick it all over again. No chest thumping...we put 2000 miles on a subaru forester rental (brand new) just before we bought the FJ. We liked it, but wanted something more robust, and are thrilled with the decision. We'll be picking up another in a couple fo months. Taht should say something...

I have a Forester and love it EXCEPT rock crawling and stuff like DEEP mud the AWD system will get you pretty much everywhere a "proper" 4X4 will get you. its DRAWBACK is NO clerance and you CAN'T get any decent tires on it. AWD works great but when I try to get back to the hunting/camping/fishing spots I bottom out on snow/ruts/etc etc. Im in the same boat. I think unless the Forester comes out with more clerance or something that lets it REALLY go off road its gonna be a FJ also!

brownmajik
04-06-2007, 18:58
Lots more aftermarket stuff available for the FJ, but a buddy of mine has an 05 Xterra and loves it. I've been wheeling with him and it does a great job in the mud and crap. I have worked on both and like them equally. Looks wise, I like the FJ and I plan on buying one if I move up north, just for the "mod-ability" of the vehicle.

norris7430
04-10-2007, 00:27
xterra i have one its great

teletiger7
06-15-2007, 02:19
The FJ cruiser does well off-road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWDU7t64Lmw

cgscotty
06-16-2007, 15:47
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/CGScotty/Jeep001.jpg

I just picked up mine Thursday night, and it is what I would reccomend. It drives great, tons of options. I went from a 03 Jeep Sahara to a 07 Jeep Sahara this is by far a huge improvement from the 03. BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!

teletiger7
06-17-2007, 03:43
nice vehicle you got there! What was the total price you paid?

cgscotty
06-17-2007, 11:54
Sticker price was 29 something. Thats what they charged and I didn't fight it. It seemed like a deal to me and im an avid Jeeper so I I couldn't help myself.
Scotty