More Walmart stores to stop selling ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More Walmart stores to stop selling ammo?

Caliper
12-24-2006, 16:35
I don't know if this is accurate or not but I thought I'd see if anyone else has heard this...

The clerk in the sporting goods department told me today that Walmart was going to cut back on
the number of stores selling guns and ammo in 2007. The only stores he was told that would continue
to sell ammo were Sydney, Celina, and one store in Lima. He was told Walmart felt that selling ammo
was too much of a liability.

I don't really like shopping Walmart too much, but you can't really beat their ammo prices locally.

CincyBrad
12-25-2006, 14:29
Why would they only sell ammo in small market Ohio stores? I think he's full of crap. If anything a few of the Cincy Walmarts are carrying MORE ammo these days.

windplex
12-25-2006, 15:15
Originally posted by Caliper
I don't know if this is accurate or not but I thought I'd see if anyone else has heard this...

The clerk in the sporting goods department told me today that Walmart was going to cut back on
the number of stores selling guns and ammo in 2007. The only stores he was told that would continue
to sell ammo were Sydney, Celina, and one store in Lima. He was told Walmart felt that selling ammo

I don't really like shopping Walmart too much, but you can't really beat their ammo prices locally.

Oh crap! I hate this! Thank you for the head's up. I will check WI.

The oOnly way to make this remotley positive is to get there for the closeouts, especially the fire arms.

sts47
12-25-2006, 17:02
For the past couple weeks, neither my wife an I can find 38spl 100rd boxes of winchester at walmarts around here.

We were the last to buy them, and they have not restocked.

Oh well, i'll get to reloading.

My wife likes to shoot the WWB ammo though, less smoke than remington.

she's hoping my reloads don't smoke as much. we'll see this coming weekend.

joedoc
12-25-2006, 20:57
Dick's sporting goods has some ammo in their newspaper ad today in Cinti. The prices are fair--about 6.90 per 50 rd box of 9 mm if one buys a case. That is for Remington UMC---how does Wal Mart compare to that kind of price? Haven't used Wally for ammo yet despite all the talk on GT. I have mainly been using Bass Pro shops so far.

By the way I am signed up for the CCW course at Target World in 2 wks--anyone have a good (or bad) experience there?

windplex
12-26-2006, 10:38
Originally posted by joedoc
Dick's sporting goods has some ammo in their newspaper ad today in Cinti. The prices are fair--about 6.90 per 50 rd box of 9 mm if one buys a case. That is for Remington UMC---how does Wal Mart compare to that kind of price? Haven't used Wally for ammo yet despite all the talk on GT. I have mainly been using Bass Pro shops so far.

By the way I am signed up for the CCW course at Target World in 2 wks--anyone have a good (or bad) experience there?

AWalmart is a little under $13 per 100 box of 115fmj WEhinchester white box (wwb). Buy by the box. No discount for quantity, so buy what you need.

Syclone538
12-26-2006, 21:57
$6.27 for a box of blazer brass at walmart.

I noticed some value packs of 12 gauge buckshot last time I was there but I don't know how much it was.

windplex
12-30-2006, 21:01
for 9mm you can also buy winchester white box 146 hollow point as well at my stores for an excellent price boxes of 50. Buy what you need at less than others charge for case prices.

xaosflux
12-30-2006, 21:18
Our Florida Walmart's have been selling more ammo then ever, and frequently being out-of-stock!

FWIW's it was ~$17.00 per WWB-100 pack S&W 40's today.

AJE
12-31-2006, 02:18
Piqua is still stocked pretty good. I try to buy at least a little bit every time I get paid.

KnightOfTheOlde
12-31-2006, 04:44
Here's what I found guys..

Wal-Mart Drops Gun Sales in Some Stores

CHICAGO ó Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) has decided to stop selling guns in about a third of its U.S. stores in what it calls a marketing decision based on lack of demand in some places, a company spokeswoman said Friday.

The world's largest retailer decided last month to remove firearms from about 1,000 stores in favor of stocking other sporting goods, in line with a "Store of the Community" strategy for boosting sales by paying closer attention to local differences in demand.

"This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand in these markets," said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Jolanda Stewart.

Stewart declined to specify what stores were affected.

Wal-Mart, based in Bentonville, Ark., has about 1,200 discount stores and 1,900 Supercenters, which include a full grocery section, in all 50 states. Wal-Mart says it sells rifles and shotguns. In Alaska, it also sells handguns.

"As with all merchandise decisions that we make, our decision to remove guns from Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer purchase history of firearms in a given community," Stewart said.

Wal-Mart's experimental new Supercenter for more upscale shoppers, which opened last month in the affluent Dallas suburb of Plano, does not carry guns.

As Wal-Mart seeks growth by moving from rural America into cities and suburbs, it finds it needs to retune its inventory to appeal to more urban consumers.

The Plano store is a testing ground for ideas, from trendier products to more subdued interiors, that are part of a broad effort at Wal-Mart to rekindle sluggish growth by luring more affluent shoppers away from faster-growing rivals such as Target Corp.

Chief Executive Lee Scott has said that in communities like Plano, Wal-Mart's sports department should shift from a traditional emphasis on hunting and fishing to more home fitness and exercise products.

sources

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1615278/posts

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191818,00.html

firedog978
12-31-2006, 08:50
Originally posted by joedoc

Some Walmarts in Cincinnati have stopped selling guns and ammo for quite awhile now. No surprise to me to hear many more will. Walmart's response is BS. It's the liberal 'chic' showing.

Also, as far as Cincinnati area Dick's sporting goods stores go; they have great prices on most ammo but, for some reason never carry 32 auto. I buy often at Dick's for 9mm and 40 cal. but, 'd like to also be able to get 32 auto for a littlemouse gun I like t carry. It amazes me that they never carry it, what with such a diverse stock on all other rounds.

anyplainjoe
01-01-2007, 18:08
A clerk in the Reynoldsburg WM told me that location would stop selling guns, but continue selling ammo.

17Ler
01-04-2007, 22:07
I have been told by employees in the Cincnnati area that they are having trouble getting ammo in quantity lots that Walmart is used to bying.
The given reason is that the war effort gets most of the production time in the ammo factories. This sounds like a good business move if these ammo companies can charge the gov. more than they charge us.:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

windplex
01-23-2007, 11:48
The Walmart store in my area that still sold guns just dropped them. I purchased one at the end of December. They sent the stock bak to manufacturers rather than run a closeout sale.

Still sells ammo and other hunting gear.

This is a horrible trend Walmart has embarked on.

Brian Dover
01-25-2007, 12:38
I feel kinda bad for the proprietors of now-closed gun shops in the towns where Wally's played a part in running 'em out of business. Probably had to move on to other employment--like maybe working in the hunting dept. of Wallyworld!

Well, this being the land of opportunity, maybe some new Mom 'n' Pop gun shops will be opening up.

windplex
01-26-2007, 17:37
Originally posted by Brian Dover
I feel kinda bad for the proprietors of now-closed gun shops in the towns where Wally's played a part in running 'em out of business. Probably had to move on to other employment--like maybe working in the hunting dept. of Wallyworld!

Well, this being the land of opportunity, maybe some new Mom 'n' Pop gun shops will be opening up.

All things in life and business run in cycles. Wal-Mart leaves openings for other retailers to operate as do Home Depot and other "big box retailers". Do you want to take 10 minutes to make a quick in and out trip to the store every time? No me. I go to Ace hardware more often than their big box competition.

Smaller dealers need to provide what Wal-Mart does not provide: range; lessons; assortment; in stock variety; knowledge; breadth of lines; and so on. All retail life need not end when Wal-Mart opens up.

Of course all the TV shows show what has happened to stores that failed when Wal-Mart opened up. Why donít they show stores that have thrived around Wal-Mart so that others can learn how to survive in the new competitive environment? Why focus on failure? Why not focus on success?

Wal-Mart is a success. I do not doubt some gun stores when out of business "because of Wal-Mart". However I would lay the blame on the store's owner's lack of adapting to the new retail competition.

If one meets the pricing of FEW items Wal-Mart carries and then carries 30 times more gun items at a better margin I suspect with expert advice and gunsmithing and a range one can compete right next door to Wal-Mart.

Big is not always better. Everything and retail outlet has its weaknesses and one needs to identify them and exploit them to survive and thrive.

It is a cop out to say Wal-Mart put store xyz out of business. why did xyz not adapt? Why did it continue to do business as it always did and so die? Whose fault is that? When home depot was on its way to my area you know what the local Ace did? It expanded! It added items so it had everything you could want and you could still get in and out in 5 minutes with what you want versus 20 minutes minimum at home depot. Ace has thrived and it is only 2 miles tops from home depot and others are close: Menards; Lowes other home depots; Sears is 1/4 mile from it -- it has done what the liberal press says is impossible -- it beat the big box by doing what the big box cannot do.

Wal-Mart is the most efficient retailer in the world. They do it by hard and smart work. It is an American success story and we Americans should be proud of it as we are of any other American success story. The liberal press hates it and takes every chance to cote against it. The American public love it and shop there. No owe forces them to do so; they CHOSE to shop there because Wal-Mart earns their business every trip. If the customer is disappointed the next shopping trip then they will stop shopping there.

Those who failed need to look in the mirror rather than blame Wal-Mart. Walmart gets no special treatment that it has not earned by its volume size. And it started with ONE store then 2 stores and then 3 and not that long ago. So now it is close to 3000 stores and operates successfully in China. Well I donít know about you but I do not know many American businesses that take money out of china. Do you? I am glad they do.

anyplainjoe
01-27-2007, 15:38
I remeber in college the main reason WM is so successful is because they had a superior distribution network. And they give people what they want.

Now I love Vance's Shooters Supply in Columbus, but they aren't open on Sunday. Why not? They are selling a luxury good, I'd be able to spend more money there if they had more convenient hours.

Brian Dover
01-28-2007, 09:14
In fact, Vance's is closed on Sunday and Monday, correct?

anyplainjoe
01-28-2007, 09:45
yep.

windplex
01-28-2007, 11:51
Originally posted by Brian Dover
In fact, Vance's is closed on Sunday and Monday, correct?

Good point.

So if one day Vances closes and you hear someone say "Walmart forced Vances out of business" I hope you will remember that walmart cared enough about their customers to stay open 7 days a week and Vances did not. And yes this does factor into Vances sucess and sales.

People work hard for a living and a bricks and mortar store had better be open when these hard working people are ready to spend thier money. And not when the owners feel like working.

anyplainjoe
01-28-2007, 12:36
Like right now I'm bored off my a@@ and in the market for a RIA 1911.

Mark G.
01-29-2007, 16:19
The WalMart sporting goods manager told me last week that they will stop selling ammo soon. They are cutting back on store personnel and you need store personnel to get the ammo, so they will stop selling it. The store I frequent is in Deerfield Township.

Tank657
04-14-2007, 19:44
not only are they cutting down on ammo they are no longer selling guns in toledo and monroe,mi:wavey:

ampleworks
04-15-2007, 14:20
People work hard for a living and a bricks and mortar store had better be open when these hard working people are ready to spend thier money. And not when the owners feel like working.

Have you checked eBay recently, I heard they were selling clues pretty cheap...you may wish to purchase one.

I'm sure the staff at Vance's would also like a couple days off a week. They're working just as hard as the next guy.

If you're so gung-ho about wanting them to be open, why don't you work your cushy 8-5 job five days a week and then go work at Vance's on the weekend just because "you care".

anyplainjoe
04-15-2007, 16:56
I think the point about Vance's is they pass up alot of prime selling time because they aren't open Sunday & Monday. It's not a personal attack on the workers there(I was a retail salesperson once, and the public can be you-know-whats to deal with!), but many of Vance's financially best customers have 8-5 office jobs or big manufacturing jobs and often Sunday is the easiest day to get out, after all the other errands get done Saturday.

I heard several people ask why there aren't open Sunday. I'm sure they have enough staff to make it feasable.

latham44
04-18-2007, 18:43
Originally posted by Caliper

Not entirely true....both stores here in Lima sell ammo, but only the Super Wal Mart sell guns. Although the "regular" Wal Mart is being replaced in 2008 with another Super Wal Mart so maybe they will both sell guns at that time too.

Originally posted by CincyBrad
Why would they only sell ammo in small market Ohio stores? I think he's full of crap. If anything a few of the Cincy Walmarts are carrying MORE ammo these days.

That's easy.....we're all a bunch of hillbillys that can't go anywhere without our guns.:rofl:

glockess56
04-18-2007, 22:49
Wal-Mart around Columbus and surrounding area sells ammo.

Yosemite
04-20-2007, 16:30
I picked up 9mm WWB 100rd value packs for $14.56 today.

Vances advertised $6.99 for 50 round packs in their flyer, so they are the cheapest I know of locally. Unfortunately, it's a farther hike from where I live and on my daily commute to work I pass a WM. I'd rather support a local/online gun enthusiast businesses, but it's just not convienent or cheaper. I've only used WWB (~2000rnds) as practice ammo, since I got interested in guns and I've experience zero failures. Why switch it up now?

The cheapest online, that I've seen is aluminum Blazer @ Natchez, which has gone up $1/50rds in the last month that I've been watching it. Since the price hike it's a monetary wash, brass WWB is $1 more expensive per 1000rds.

CincyBrad
04-22-2007, 15:46
I just bought 4 boxes of Blazer Brass at my WM, was $6.97 per 50. Comes out about $1 cheaper per 100 than the WWB.

firedog978
04-22-2007, 16:22
CB,
Which location? Tell me Ferguson Rd.

CincyBrad
04-23-2007, 16:25
Originally posted by firedog978
CB,
Which location? Tell me Ferguson Rd.

That's the one. :)

The bad news is I bought the last 4 on the shelf on Sunday. I'm sure they will restock though.

1 old 0311
04-23-2007, 16:49
I bought 500 rounds Saturday. The clerk called a Manager to see if it was OK. :shocked: :shocked: