EL COLONEL
12-27-2006, 01:27
Anybody think that the 325wsm is to big for Texas deer???:upeyes:

alwaysshootin
12-27-2006, 02:42
No!

vafish
12-27-2006, 13:28
It's more than is nescessary and if I were buying a rifle solely for deer hunting it would not be my first choice.

But if you are planing on hunting game larger than deer, or if you already have a rifle in that caliber it should work just fine.

EL COLONEL
12-27-2006, 14:46
Thanx v !:wavey:

Armchair Commando
12-27-2006, 19:37
No, And it's a good rock chucking round!:)

CanyonMan
12-29-2006, 10:48
Originally posted by EL COLONEL
Anybody think that the 325wsm is to big for Texas deer???:upeyes:

Well, your question, "Is it to big for Texas deer?" Is loaded. (no pun meant). If you mean caliber, well, it is 'not nescessary,' but it won't hurt anything to use it either.

I use a 7mm Rem Mag out here on the ranch, and everywhere i go, and for everything i hunt, 'big or small' (in the deer family), and it is 'not needed' on TX deer, 'unless' i am shooting at 'longer range'. Then, i get 'flatter trajectory, and more down range assurance.'

Living in W Texas, I would say to you, your choice is 'not nescessary' for deer at moderate range. But if you think you will need a 'flatter shooting round', with more 'down range' capability at 'longer distances', I would rather see you use 325wsm, over a 30-30, or 243, etc. The 270, would be "a better choice" over the 325wsm, for TX deer, IMO, although not as flat shooting in most loadings, as the 325wsm, it does not have the recoil the 325 does. If that is not a problem, then have at it.. The 270 is plenty, and will still handle longe range stuff. I say this "only" if you are going to be hunting more open ground at 'longer range'. I don't know what part of TX you are in, but out here where we're at, a good deal of the time we need a flat shooting cartridge, for some what longer range.

Example:
My brother, ("totally aginst my advise, principals, and ethics,"), uses a 22-250, in a bull barrel sniper rifle, and a huge scope, and takes only very good head shots. He is very successful. I think it stinks. :shakehead: :shakehead:

"Because," some day, he is going to hit a nose, or jaw, or something in that tiny space he has to shoot in, and badly wound a deer, and make himself sick. Perhaps it will take that to get him to use his 270 instead, and limit the sniper stuff to the predators.

All i am saying is, the 325wsm, is 'not nescessary,' but would be welcomed at 'much longer range,' IF you must hunt that way....If not, i would suggest a good 243, 6mm rem, or even a 270, 'the latter' being a real good choice for TX hunting, from being in the Mesquite, or if your hunting over a feeder, and want to take a hog as well, or if you do need to strech out a bit at longer range, the .270 would be my choice over the 325wsm, just as a good all round caliber from deer to elk, and "without the added recoil.." But, if the 325wsm is what your heart is set on....Won't hurt a thing to use it. Go out and enjoy!

Hope this makes sence... I wrote this in a real rush to get it done and go.... ;)

Good luck, whatever you do.

CanyonMan

EL COLONEL
12-29-2006, 13:03
Thanx to everyone that responded. Canyonman i'm near san antonio and i have a 270 wsm . I was just wandering if the 325 would be too much. Thanx for you'r opinion. Be safe and good hunting!!!!!:wavey:

CanyonMan
12-29-2006, 14:20
Originally posted by EL COLONEL
Thanx to everyone that responded. Canyonman i'm near san antonio and i have a 270 wsm . I was just wandering if the 325 would be too much. Thanx for you'r opinion. Be safe and good hunting!!!!!:wavey:

Naw, it is not 'to much.' Man I've used 45/70, and about everything else you can think of. As some have said, it is 'not the top choice' for the TX deer, but I see nothing 'wrong' with it at all, and it can double for a good elk/hog/bear gun. If you want it, go for it! ;)

Stay safe
Good hunting!

CanyonMan